MLS Updates

*Why haven't Real Salt Lake and the Los Angeles Galaxy formally announced the Dema Kovalenko trade we told you about exclusively late Wednesday night? As a courtesy, teams are supposed to contact players involved in a deal before officially publicizing it, but Kovalenko has been in his native Ukraine and, even in this global information age, he has been unreachable. The news will be well-received by Kovalenko, who wanted to live in a different city. Expect an announcement soon.

*Speaking of the Galaxy, the club was strongly considering Wake Forest midfielder Michael Lahoud as the third overall pick instead of Maryland's Omar Gonzalez. Coach Bruce Arena, I'm told by two folks close to Lahoud, even called Lahoud and asked him how he felt about living on the West Coast. But when the Kovalenko trade was consummated, securing a veteran midfielder, the Galaxy altered its plans and went for a defender. Lahoud was available until No. 9 (Chivas USA).

*Dallas's interest in Colorado midfielder Christian Gomez has gone from warm to room temperature to frosty, according to one of his reps, leaving Chivas USA and New England as possible destinations. The Rapids would like to dump his 400K guaranteed contract before the season starts. (Or at least a large portion of it since any trade may require the club to continue paying some of his salary.)

*Chivas USA announced that Mexican midfielder Francisco Mendoza will join the mother ship in Guadalajara, that USA midfielder Sacha Kljestan will train with Scottish club Celtic and that Canadian defender Ante Jazic has been acquired from the Galaxy, marking the first time in the planet's history that two Antes have been on the same team. (Gotta be, right?)

*Atlanta is out of the running for a 2011 expansion club, leaving Vancouver, Portland, Ottawa, Miami and St. Louis (sort of) in contention for two slots. Meantime, 2010 entry Philadelphia prepares to launch its name-the-team contest Monday.

We've done this before, let's do it again.....

By Steve Goff  |  January 18, 2009; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedom for Scurry
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Unreachable? Ukraine ain't exactly the Helmand Province. Everyone and their cousin as a cell phone. I guess he's in hiding.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | January 18, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

can't understand why anyone would want another miami experiment..even w/ barca involved

Posted by: mizage | January 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Steven. You are the number ONE source for MLS News!

Posted by: Ben7LA | January 18, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

63 days until the first game!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 18, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sure, Dema has his cellphone, but his frozen fingers didn't permit him to answer the call. Now that Russia has (alledgedly) agreed to restart gas shipments to Ukraine and places west, he can begin to thaw out.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 18, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Two Ante's don't make a right (back). After last season, Arena could bring in Maldini and Desailly in their primes and I would still think their D is suspect until proven otherwise...

Posted by: throwin | January 18, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

My money is on either Portland or Vancouver for a spot plus, Miami. You get a instant Derby for the Northwest with Seattle.

Then it'd be either St. Louis or Miami, but Stl Louis doesn't have the soccer glamour that FC Barcelona brings to MLS.

Granted, the draw in South Florida is tough, but the image and the knowledge that FC Barcelona wants to invest in the league is great.

Posted by: delantero | January 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Was the Miami fan base really that bad years ago? I remember that team back in the day with Valderama and I think Compos might have even been their keeper. But I suppose since they are no longer around I have already answered my own question. I still think with Barca backing (and an established soccer owner in the Bolivian partner) they will and really should get a team. In terms of the other spot, Portland seems to make sense to me. They have a really good fan base and a soccer tradition (as I recall their old NASL team drew good crowds) and it creates a good regional rivalry with the new Seattle team. That creates fan excitement which is a good thing and helps cut down on travel costs, which is not insignificant. While I know St. Louise has a real soccer tradition in its own right and great collegiate history it just seems to me to be half a notch below Miami and Portland when you consider all of the factors.

Posted by: nyjer1 | January 18, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Check out New York Red Bull's 2009 kits. What do you people think about them - and is DC getting a new look in 09?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 18, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

like someone else said, Miami and either Vancouver or Portland. I like the idea of a st. louis team, but I wonder if they have a decent place to play. plus, I kind of hope they steal KC's team, new SSS notwithstanding.

I went to the Benfica-Belenenses game last night. It's cold in Europe this time of year. for all that people complain that MLS is "out of sync" with FIFA calendars, soccer is better in the summer. OK traditionalists, let me have it...

Posted by: troy6 | January 18, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I meant soccer is better in the summer, EXCEPT when we are playing Mexico in a WCQ in February. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Posted by: troy6 | January 18, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess with the doping allegations involving Red Bulls players I shouldn't be surprised they're wearing cycling jerseys now...
Seriously are you sure that isn't the Red Bull cycling team kit?

Last I heard the only difference in the DCU kits is going to be an American flag on one of the sleeves on the authentic shirts.
No news on the 3rd jersey yet...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 18, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I know. I dont get the whole zipper part - is NY the first club ever (worldwide) to use the zipper neck?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 18, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Here is also Houston, Colorado, and Toronto FC new 09 kits:

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 18, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

No obvious run at the "upping the Ante's" pun?

I'm disappointed.

Posted by: kolbkl | January 18, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Days late on that Atlanta news...

Posted by: Reignking | January 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I guess with the doping allegations involving Red Bulls players I shouldn't be surprised they're wearing cycling jerseys .

Posted by: DadRyan | January 18, 2009 5:59 PM
=================

Wicked. Just wicked.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Chivas will have an interesting time trying to compare the impact of their acquisition with status quo ante,.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, those are the worst uniforms I have seen since seton hall tried the unitard.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 18, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"Days late on that Atlanta news..."

(Sigh)

I realize that, but I'm sure there were many readers unaware of it.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 18, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Check out New York Red Bull's 2009 kits.

Looks like two Bulls submitting to a Rising Sun.

Posted by: delantero | January 18, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

back at the end of the 90's FC Copenhagen had a zippered jersey. I have one at home. But I am out of town at the moment so I can't remember who made it. It was not adidas.

Do I really have to pick two of those cities? I like Vancouver but that is about it.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 18, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

troy6 - The arguement (and I'm not necessarily making it) has nothing to do with "tradition" and everything to with the logistics of avoiding club conflicts with international tournaments in the summer.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | January 19, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

The Barra in South Beach? That even scares me!

Posted by: CHICO13 | January 19, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Panchito Mendoza has been training w Chivas' Guadalajara branch for a while. Last week they had the "new players" press conference w Mendoza, Jared Borgetti and Carlos Ochoa sporting their jerseys. Mendoza subbed in during Saturday night's game and promptly got cleated with a really high tackle about shoulder height - I think the Cruz Azul player got sent off.

I'm not a fan of another MLS team in Miami. Would they be playing on field turf. The Fusion didn't have a great fanbase but it wasn't the worst in the league either. Their stadium was in Ft Lauderdale so they were Miami in name only. The main problem was (I believe) their owner who wouldn't come up with some extra money when the league had some big debts and the need to cover their operating costs. Rimando was their goalie at the end. I don't think they ever had Jorge Campos (played a while w fellow expansion team Chicago).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 19, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I forgot one other important weekend observation.

It looks like Troy Polamalu is finally starting to emerge from the giant shadow cast by Troy Perkins.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 19, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

fedssocr, that shirt was probably made by the Danish sportswear and adorable figurine manufacturer Hummel.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | January 19, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Average age of Chivas USA's backline: 35.

All joking aside, having an old and slow defense won't be good for the team in 2009.

Posted by: Eugene7 | January 19, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse