MLS Kickaround

*I am not attending the Star Trek convention MLS scouting combine in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., but I hear that Wake Forest midfielders Sam Cronin and Michael Lahoud have surpassed expectations. Don't be surprised to see Cronin selected in the top five of Thursday's draft in St. Louis and Lahoud claimed in the top 10.

*"Slumdog Millionaire" conquers Hollywood at the Golden Globes last night, and now Indian players are coming to MLS?! Uh, no. The agent mentioned in this story tells the Insider that he has had absolutely no contact with the league regarding these particular players and that Scandinavia is their most likely destination.

By Steve Goff  |  January 12, 2009; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: Video: Roma-Milan, Valencia-Villarreal

Comments

Your MLS, Soccer updates and funny anecdotes are always appreciated!

any trade news or rumours you can share or that were wispered in your ear by the cutie MLS secretary...or whatever

good one with the arch/star trek sign.

If St.Lous get's an MLS team I'm sure it will show up on their logo, like Seattle's spaceneedle... playing against the (currently) LAme Galaxy...

from Star Trek to Star Wars...

Posted by: Ben7LA | January 12, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Oh man - I was excited about DC actually pursuing top talent once again. At least it was getting me excited for the season - cause right now, all I got is the "Pay for Season Tickets" reminder on my calendar.

At least I didn't have to drive to DC in that wonderful traffic this morning.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 12, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

The reporter for the Times of India is just pulling team names out of mid air. Sure, those players could end up with DC United. They could also end up with Manchester United, United Airlines, or the United Federation of Planets (FCUFP?).

Well give your ID card to the border guard
Yeah, your alias says you're Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Of the United Federation of Planets
'Cause he won't speak English anyway

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 12, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Jean-Luc Picard is already cup-tied to France.

Posted by: Reignking | January 12, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Lets get that punjabi style soccer across the ocean..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 12, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

So we won't have a "Bend it like Ranjeet Jyotiraaditya Kamalnath Singh?"

Posted by: delantero | January 12, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

This is a great thread!

Posted by: JkR- | January 12, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I am standing here beside myself.

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 12, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I follow the Indian league and its crap.

But the young players are good, really good.
I Know the under 16 team toured the midwest
recently and they did really well against
most of the u-16 teams of Ohio area.

They're now getting some Dutch, Brazilian and English coaches over there.

Posted by: godpere | January 12, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The Indian league is terrible because the best Indian athletes play cricket.

Posted by: Reignking | January 12, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Sigh...Atletico's fans aren't that smart...

Snowball throwing halted Atletico Madrid's home match against Athletic Bilbao in Spain at the weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | January 12, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

270: you talking about the Combine?:

Well the good guys,
And the bad guys,
They never work past noon around here,
They sit side by side in the cantina,
Talk to senoritas and drink warm beer...

As for the world being full of stupid people, the RedBulls deserve fans, too!

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 12, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: I take issue with your post. Ben Jabitura clearly speaks with a Bakersfield accent.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 12, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | January 12, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I say the following having a fondness for Indian soccer, but the absolute best-case scenario for Indian players in MLS would be as middling contributors. The nation's footballing hero, Baichung Bhutia, managed 37 appearances for Bury in the lower tiers of England's Football League. Any Indian player should consider it a great career move to catch on with an MLS team, no matter what stage of his career he is in.

Posted by: CowtownFCD | January 12, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Rikki Bains now!

Posted by: B_A_ | January 12, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The Indian league is terrible because the best Indian athletes play cricket.

Posted by: Reignking | January 12, 2009 11:42 AM
------------------------------------
Or badminton or squash.

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 12, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

They playing with shoes on their feet yet?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 12, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse