Obama the Uniter?

So Barack Obama stopped by The Washington Post today and toured the newsroom. According to media writer Howard Kurtz's blog, the Prez-Elect asked:

"Where are the sportswriters? I want to ask about the Redskins, Nationals and Wizards."

What?! No interest in D.C. United's draft performance? No discussion about Steve Zakuani being selected No. 1 overall despite a lackluster display at the combine or three Terps going in the first round?

I'm thinking he knew the Insider was out of town. Yup, that's the only explanation.

By Steve Goff  |  January 15, 2009; 10:43 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall of Fame and WPS News
Next: Future World Cups

Comments

To be fair, not asking about the Caps is probably a bigger oversight, what with them being in season and kicking a fair amount of tail these days...

...but don't tell any of my fellow internet nut soccer fans that I said that.

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 15, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Obama is focusing on the high priority problems that plague DC, hence the need to discuss the NFL team (racist nickname and they didn't make the playoffs), Wizards (bottom of the NBA), and Nationals (do I need to tell you?).

The Caps are doing well and DC got some silverware last season.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Man Steve your a wanted guy.

Posted by: TheJim1 | January 16, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

We need to rally at the white house with huge banners that say..."DC United..not West Ham"

then show our silver ware...with a big 12 - (how ever many championships combined by the other teams..) equals..we still have more..

lol

he will know about us eventually! So its a slow process...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 16, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

obama is probably trying to figure out how he can use more bailout money to bolster the area's teams.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | January 16, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Nah. He was asking about meeting the sportwriters for the Skins, Wiz and Nats (notice, he didn't ask for them by name) because....(wait for it)....he already has Steve Goff on his speed dial.

Senior Goff, is there truth to the story that right next to the big red phone on POTUS' desk in the Oval Office, the President-elect intends to have installed a big red and black phone with only two numbers: Kevin Payne's and your's? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 16, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh....I still remember all that talk about him being a soccer fan. pffft.

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | January 16, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey, look for the opportunity. He needs to be sent a SE/BB scarf and a shirt with OBAMA in big letters on the back. And send it with a pic of all the trophies.

Posted by: lrg1231 | January 16, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I take back my vote.

Posted by: Hoost | January 16, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Don't even get me started...

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 16, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

He's probably a despicable Fire / Blackhawks fan.

Posted by: jerbyr | January 16, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Glad I voted McCain.

Posted by: Reignking | January 16, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, he hasn't even been sworn in yet and I'm already ready for 2012.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | January 16, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, he hasn't even been sworn in yet and I'm already ready for 2012.
------

me too-- reelection! :D

Posted by: hogmesh | January 16, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It's a good thing he's not focused on MLS -- that's a clean slate. He'll have no attachments to Fire.

And when the girls drag mom & dad to a few Freedom/DCU double-headers, they'll be hooked soon enough...

All we have to do is look really good when they show up. Good year to win the Cup.

Posted by: jealousmuse | January 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he doesn't realize the Post has a United beat reporter? Or, he is such a big fan that he really did know you were out of town?

Posted by: fischy | January 16, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dudes been kickin' it with Fenty a little too much obviously.

In all honesty jealousmuse has got the right idea. You can't force the real football on anyone. He's got plenty on his plate, but before too long he'll figure out what's up. He' a B-Ball guy, but do the Wizards even play? Unless he's interested in jewel encrusted Papa Smurf chains, and Soldier Boy he's gonna lose interest quick.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 16, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Hail Ceasar!

(Just practicing for Tuesday...)

I suspect The One will attend a United game next year, and that could be a good thing. The nut-job liberal sports reporters that hate soccer so much may stop and say to themselves, "Hey, if Barry likes soccer so much, maybe there's something to this sport!" That could lead to more love for the game from Kornheiser, Albom, Cowherd, etc.

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 16, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

He'll learn soccer from the best professional team in town.

Sarting in . . .

65 days!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 16, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The best thing he could do for soccer in DC is get some NCSL/WAGS fields in DC that are playable and safe . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Obama said all the right things to each group he talked to. Now the truth is starting to ooze out......to quote someone else..."Don't get me started"
Vamos United

Posted by: boda-united | January 16, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: I thought the soccer hating press was made up of conservatives. Another reason for Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and Hannity to hate Obama. Soccer is a commuist sport because (1) each player gets to touch the ball and (2) only the despot knows how much time is left.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

joedoc,

Herd is a soccer fan, he's admitted to growing to like it a lot after Euro and his daughter's involvement, and he's started watching european leagues, he just doesn't talk about it on his show because he's worried about ratings, and that's understandable.

That said, I figured Obama would be the one to get into United and kind of lead the nation to the game, at least a percentage point more. Oh well, doesn't matter to me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 16, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I heard from a very good source that he uttered the word "Freedom" several times, then could not find Brian Straus and left utterly disappointed. Inside joke for the Insider.

MR Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | January 16, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Too funny, I-270. That's why I'm writing "Right Wing: The Conservative Case for Soccer." It's a game that's often won by individual achievement, so it should appeal to those on the right.

As for Cowherd, I had no idea. I don't listen to him all that much. But the anchors on ESPN are by no means right-wingers, and they NEVER miss a chance to crack on soccer, even when doing a soccer highlight. Sends me through the roof (like many other Insiders, I'm sure).

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 16, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing about the Apotheosis on Tuesday shutting down the region is that I can stay home and watch Man United v. Derby. I guess that's something to thank Obama for.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | January 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

the funny thing is that US sports with salary caps, franchises are run on socialistic principles (the league is only as strong as it's weakest team)- while European and world soccer is totally capitalistic (the biggest and richest teams buy up all the talent)!

Posted by: targetmedia | January 16, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

oops-I forgot league-wide TV contracts...

I suspect that the Post newsroom was too busy cheering the Messiah to remind him about DC United!

Posted by: targetmedia | January 16, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

The best thing Obama can do for soccer is swing the 2016 Olympics to Chicago so the U.S. doesn't have to qualify for the soccer tournament so Coach Harkes (by then) will be able to choose the right players to play in the first round qualifiers that summer against St. Kitts & Nevis for the 2018 World Cup held in Liechtenstein.

Posted by: IamAM | January 16, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Apotheosis. My first thought was that a Greek restaurant had closed down. Thank goodness for right-click look-ups in Firefox.

Apotheosis: Come in and try our Baracklava.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Apotheosis: Come in and try our Baracklava.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2009 2:59 PM

Paging Tom Sietsema...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 16, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I know that we're all joshing, but look at it this way:
The great Uniter is seriously divided by1.his Kenyan connection which will drag him to soccer;2.his Kansas heritage to baseball;3.his Hawaian upbringing to favor golf (and surfing) and 4. Michelle's pull to her coaching brother's b-ball. So let the Cap fans complain--wrong demographics anyway.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | January 16, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

IMPROVE YOUR MARKETING STRATEGY.

If one of the most informed individuals in the country doesn't associate your team with with your city that's your fault not his.

MLS needs to PROMOTE its TEAMS BETTER.

Posted by: kofix5 | January 17, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with most of the comments here. As much as I love United, they can no longer claim to be the best team in town. That distinction belongs to the Caps who are a model franchise from top to bottom and they are only going to get better. They are very young and they are loaded down on the farm.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 18, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse