Quaranta Returns

As expected, D.C. United has officially announced a new contract for midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta, whose 2008 base salary of $35,000 was near the senior roster minimum and loaded with incentives. Per league policy, terms of the new deal were not disclosed. After recovering from drug abuse and the imminent end of his career, the 24-year-old Baltimore native set personal records in games played (27), starts (23) and minutes played (1,963), and tied his mark for goals (five).

After using Quaranta on the right flank, forward and central midfield in 2008, how do you think United should handle him this season?

Expect the club to soon announce new contracts for Devon McTavish and Marc Burch. Still no word on the status of negotiations with another defender, veteran Bryan Namoff, who is out of contract.

By Steve Goff  |  January 6, 2009; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Mexico Result?
Next: Freddy Fever

Comments

Is time running out on Namoff? Seems that if it drags out his options are limited and United holds the upper hand.

Posted by: CHICO13 | January 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

'Tino is reprezentin us East Baltimore Brothers. Getting in a hole is easy. Workin your way out of it is hard as h@ll sometimes. But our boy has done it. And keeps on doin it.

I hope that he is gettin at least $60k this year. I hope that it is a one year deal so that he can keep progressing and make more coin next year.

As far as where Dude plays, I say play him in the middle but I personally think that he is great on the flank. That is where I think I would prefer to see him.

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I am completely pulling this out of my er, um imagination but would it surprise anyone if Namoff heads to Scandavia? Say, Denmark? Maybe Sweden?

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I like him on the wing, he has those nice runs from wing play like that of christiano ronaldo, in that he is a winger but can burst through with his speed and dribbling.

Hes no replacement for Moreno nor is he a classic '10'. He is IMO good at what is doing on the wing, and at scoring when he is running forward. Not a great distributor of the ball, and can at best work well with more talented players that are like that around him.

With that said he is good at what he does on the wing, and for now he is good there, like benny was.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Linked below is a recent Quaranta interview. In it he talks more about his new contract.

Posted by: 123DMV | January 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Where depends on a lot of other factors not least where Fred plays, and whether they play 3 or 4 in the back.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Definitely not central midfield.

Posted by: fischy | January 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm really looking forward to watching this guy. Last season he may have indeed been digging himself out of a hole, and if he's even more confident and focused this year -- big, young, talented dude, this could be something.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to him.

Posted by: sitruc | January 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I think Tino would be best deployed as the second striker if DCU continues to field a 4-4-2 as the primary formation. He could also get some time on the wing in either a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 set up, but to me he's probably the best suited to be a long-term successor to Jaime out of the current options.

Posted by: timc3 | January 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

goff, what are you hearing about simms contract, do you sense he will be here long term or will he want to go to europe, what do you guess his base salary is? id love to hear what you guess santino is making as well.

Posted by: jay-jay | January 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I like this four postings a day. Keep up the great work Goff.

Posted by: TheJim1 | January 6, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

What makes me happy about resigning Tino is that he has been good in the midfield and up front and makes a great back up player to fill in any hole in the attack. It's a great luxury in MLS to be able to field a go to guy like him.

I think he's at his strongest in a withdrawn forward or high midfielder mostly because he is very good about coming back to defend.

Posted by: DCU-ATL | January 6, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

75 days till United's first game.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 6, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta will probably see time at multiple positions, just like last year. I think we'll see him, Fred, and Guerrero all cycle in and out of the lineup on the wings based on our opponent and what went on at training. You'll also see him up front to give Moreno the occasional rest and/or to give us a different look from Emilio and Doe leading the line. He'll also see time in attacking midfield, since the team has no current options there other than Gallardo (Dyachenko does not count). Considering Gallardo's history, there's no doubt in my mind that Tino or someone else we haven't acquired yet will have to play (at best) several games there. There will be very few games that go by where Tino doesn't see significant minutes somewhere on the field.

I don't see a formation change on the books unless we start making multiple moves. I suppose we could play 433, but that means no Guerrero and only one of Quaranta or Fred so we can start Vide as the 3rd central midfielder. I don't think you'll find too many fans of that. We simply don't have the defenders to play 3 in the back, since none of them is an organizer (and with the departure of Martinez, none is particularly fast either). Now, we need more athleticism and leadership in central defense no matter what our formation, but a 3 man backline will only further emphasize what we lack in those categories at this point. There's also the fact that we would have no good box-to-box midfielder for a 352 (barring what would be the wondrous recovery of Olsen), and no one particularly well cut-out to play on the right. Really, the current team is set for 442 and not much else.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 6, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Good news, and happy that it's some of the first real news we've heard since Christmas.
timc3 I do wish we could see Quaranta playing as a forward all the time, but I'll expect to see him playing where they need him as they did last season. Still can't help but think he was robbed of the Come back player award, and recalling him being forced to play all over the place only reinforces that. I swore he would have had 5 more goals last year if he'd had the opportunity to play in one spot and get comfortable in his role there.
I'm phyched for the dude, and all the shifting and shuffling has got to be building his character and self worth on and off the field. A little more composure and letting off some of his shots a step quicker and I feel like he could REALLY shine.
Awesome news!
Rock on Tino!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 6, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Great news for Tino. Like him best as right wing or 2nd striker. Wish we'd sign Namoff - he was the one reliable back.

Posted by: Beckster1 | January 6, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Santino used more as a striker. I think he's at his best offensively when he doesn't have to worry about defending. More aggressive and creative.

Posted by: BKMD | January 7, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jay-jay | January 6, 2009 4:28 PM
_________________________________________

Here is the link where they talk about already re-signing Simms...

Sounds like they are planning on holding on to him for awhile: "We are very pleased to have re-signed Clyde to another long term deal," said United General Manager Dave Kasper. "He has worked his way into becoming one of our most consistent performers the past two seasons, and a very respected holding midfielder in MLS. At 26, we look forward to Clyde being an important part of our future for years to come."

Posted by: HarkesyRules | January 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hope Santino is still young enough to get a 2nd shot w/National team.

Posted by: cr10 | January 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse