Freedom for Scurry

In the fifth round of today's Women's Professional Soccer draft, the Washington Freedom selected former USA goalkeeper Briana Scurry.

Scurry, 37, is one of the most accomplished players in USA history, but was also drawn into a controversy at the 2007 World Cup in China when then coach Greg Ryan named her the starter for the semifinal match against Brazil, prompting a postgame outburst by the demoted Hope Solo. Scurry, who played for Atlanta in the WUSA, had a 133-12-13 record with the USA between 1994 and 2008.

Solo will play for St. Louis in the seven-team WPS, which kicks off in late March.

The Freedom's only other keeper at the moment is Canada's Erin McLeod, who tore an ACL at the Olympics and might not be 100 percent until this summer.

"I spoke with Briana's agent yesterday and she is looking forward and motivated to winning the starting job," Freedom Coach Jim Gabarra said.

By Steve Goff  |  January 16, 2009; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: MLS Updates

Comments

Ya know, this could be the pick that sends the Freedom to the WPS championship. Other that or cryogenically unfreeze the career of Siri Mullinix.

Posted by: bs2004 | January 16, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the other move ... the Freedom traded down a pick to St. Louis Athletica and got Joanna Lohman. She's an absolute animal in the midfield on the level of a Steffi Jones or a Sandra Minnert.

Vamos, vamos la Freedom!

Esta noche tenemos que ganaaaaar!

Posted by: bs2004 | January 16, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom also picked up Rebecca Moros, who seemed like a pretty good player - the one time I saw her on TV.

WPS draft is entering the 8th round. How many more rounds are there? How many more players are there?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

*KJ Spisak will play before Scurry does.

*As long as we're on nostalgia, FC Gold Pride selects Brandi Chastain with the 45th pick in the 2009 WPS Draft.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda shocked... how does Jose Carvallo have a Wikipedia page but Siri Mullinix doesn't??? I wonder what ever happened to her..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 16, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hold on, bs2004, running that through my Rosetta Stone software now...

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

OK, her name was included, but the controversy was between Solo and Ryan. All Scurry did was what we ask all athletes to do: shut up and play. This was a great decision by the Freedom. Scurry is a great, great keeper. I'm sure that at 37 she can still play.

I'm also a Solo fan though. I thought the whole controversy was fairly silly and unimportant.

Posted by: troy6 | January 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that at 37 she can still play.
=================
I'm not. But we'll see.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Of course if she's gone bald that might help

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

With the team the Freedom have assembled in front of the net, they could put the old Brazilian keeper between the pipes (forget her name - spilled more crosses than a Bounty paper towel commercial) and still have the best goals against ratio.

MR Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | January 16, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

With the team the Freedom have assembled in front of the net,
=================

??? Who have they assembled today who wasn't already on their W-league roster? They passed over a lot of high-profile defenders that were available, like Nikki Krzysik.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"Krzysik - I can say that."

- Hope Solo

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 16, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: IMHO the continuity and familiarity of players and coaches w/each other should serve them well. Add to that the extensive youth system (unmatched by any other WPS team as far as I know, which may not be much) and great fan base, and you have a winning combination and pre-season favorite. Marta who?

MR Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | January 16, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Is Scurry losing her hair?

Posted by: Reignking | January 16, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope you're right, but it will take more than continuity and familiarity to contain Marta.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Huh? Is Atlanta having trouble with its mass tranist system?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 16, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

joedoc, one youth club (Albertson NY) produced 3 of the top 8 picks today. wonder how the rest of the draft would look if analyzed by club

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Cat Whitehill will be back there. That's a good start!

Posted by: stwasm | January 16, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

OT but Man City is close to signing Kaka for as much as 250 million euros.....
Where is DCU? sigh

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 16, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Also OT but thanks to an insider loyalist who mentioned this back in a while so I ordered the book THE GLOBAL GAME and I now find all sorts of things on its web.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 16, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, OWNTF. I'll try and look into it.

And why am I up at this awful hour? Dulles SoccerPlex beckons - 7 am kickoff for my daughter's team. Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 17, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Of course if she's gone bald that might help

Posted by: OWNTF | January 16, 2009 3:30 PM
-----------------------

Post of the day! Well played OWNTF.

Posted by: troy6 | January 17, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I got lost on the bald comment. I must be setting old. But I still remember this classic Top Ten List (note to WPS - No. 4 is still your biggest challenge, especially since 4/10 from the top ten are gone/retired, except Lills maybe):

TOP TEN: Things I Can Say Now That I’ve Won the Gold Medal – And here to present tonight’s top ten list, ten members of your Gold Medal winning United States Women’s Olympic Soccer Team.

Helping out tonight:
#10. Heather O’Reilly – “Thinking soccer ball was Letterman’s head made it more fun to kick”
#9. Lindsay Tarpley – “I’m saving on my Gold Medal insurance thanks to Geico”
#8. Cat Reddick – “Now that the Olympics are over, it will be fun to use our hands again.”
#7. Briana Scurry – “I swiped a couple miniature bottles of shampoo from the Athens Marriott”
#6. Abby Wambach – “We tested positive . . . for being 18 really hot soccer babes.”
#5. Kristine Lilly – “I regularly go to McDonald’s to satisfy my Olympic-size appetite . . . . . . I just made $10,000 for saying that.”
#4. Joy Fawcett – “It was such an honor to play in front of dozens and dozens of crazed fans.”
#3. Julie Foudy – “Thank goodness I won this thing – On the way to the theater my medal stopped two bullets.”
#2. Brandi Chastain – “I’m pleased to announce that I’m now Mrs. Bob Costas.”
#1. Mia Hamm – “It’s pretty clear who wears the pants in the family now, huh Nomar?

MC Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | January 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Although Scurry is 37, she is still one of the top goal keepers in the game and DC lucky to have her. With her and Cat in the back we should do well. Looking forward to it. Any word on Cat and Abby's recuperation?

Posted by: Beckster1 | January 18, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Beckster: You should also ask about McLeod's recuperation. If healthy, she, not Scurry, will likely be the one between the pipes.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 18, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse