The Commitments

As we reported a few weeks ago, Maryland's Omar Gonzalez, Jeremy Hall and Rodney Wallace, as well as Silver Spring native Kevin Alston of Indiana, are on the list of MLS Generation Adidas signees who decided to leave school early and make themselves available in next Thursday's draft in St. Louis. GA contracts generally earn more money than those signed by college seniors selected in the draft and do not count against the salary cap.

Here's the official list released today by the league:

GOALKEEPERS
Stefan Frei, junior, California
DEFENDERS
Omar Gonzalez, junior, Maryland
Rodney Wallace, sophomore, Maryland
Kevin Alston, junior, Indiana
MIDFIELDERS
Jeremy Hall, junior, Maryland
Baggio Husidic, junior, Illinois-Chicago
Danny Cruz, sophomore, UNLV
FORWARDS
Steve Zakuani, sophomore, Akron
Peri Marosevic, junior, Michigan

More information is available here.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  January 7, 2009; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: His Name Is Messi
Next: Burch Is Back

Comments

I can't help but notice that all these players are sophomores or juniors in college. The days of high school players being P-40 players seem long ago. Maybe MLS is realizing that Convey, Tino, and Adu, among others, weren't the best investments.

Posted by: argo0 | January 7, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Interesting class. I really wonder what DC is going to do with their picks as they could easily select 2 GA kids and not have them count against the cap.

Defender and Goalie? Or are we going to get an offensive minded player...Hmm.

Posted by: strago | January 7, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, being able to count Adu and Convey amongst your alums is good for publicity's sake. It even brought in a couple mill for Adu's transfer.

Posted by: combedge | January 7, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Zakuani will have a similar season as Nyassi had for New England last season.

This kid is talented, he can be the real deal style of '10' that the MLS has not yet ever produced. Apparently hes a Arsenal/ some soccer acadamy product in england. IMO his touch, passing and all that may well be better than our freddy adu.

I hope this kid tears it up next season. Its too bad DC couldnt get their hands on him, he'd be a good '10' in the works, plays like Gomez/Moreno.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 7, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

With the #6 and #7 picks (that's right isn't it?) DC could pick up 2 of these guys. Any 2 of those guys outside of the goalie (DC can still get a cheap goalie pickup out of NCAA) or Cruz from UNLV (I read he was pretty raw and might need more development than other GAs) could help DC's depth and maybe even eventually provide useful starters.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 7, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe we should select a goalie in the first round of the draft. Normally, they take a long time to develop and if they do develop quickly (like with Guzan), they're off to Europe. We need to focus on bolstering our defense big time...if we do that then Crayton can do the rest. Seeing that Gonzalez will be gone by the sixth pick, hopefully we can get Alston. In addition, it'd be great to pick up Hall or Husidic.

Posted by: bigwave | January 7, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think for the 6th pick Wallace might still be around (have the first 5 picks ever been all Gen Ad?). If I remember correctly, he plays left back, which is a need. He's got some wheels and a decent shot. I guess the question is - how do these skill match up against pros instead of Creighton or Cal.

Posted by: eadc | January 7, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Well if the college game got any type of national press I would know some of these players. The fact that I have no idea who any of these players are leads me to make no opinion on them. Goff, I know you periodically cover the Terps, but maybe we can more coverage of the area schools so that we can become more familiar with the college kids.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 7, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

What about Robby Doyle?

Posted by: boda-united | January 7, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting and somewhat ironic comment RedskinAddict. One of the reasons why some teams are infrequently covered in print (or at least perceived to be so) is the large amount of coverage given to the local NFL team.

Click here for the list of Soccer Insider posts on college soccer and see if you still think it's an under-reported area.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 7, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

It's entirely likely, I would even say probable, that Payne will have traded our first round picks by the time they come up in the draft. His MO for years has been to forsake the draft and instead build the roster from acquisition.

Posted by: Matte | January 7, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

On the heels of signing Santino Quaranta to a new deal, we're set to announce later today that Marc Burch has also re-signed with the team. The 24-year old defender enjoyed a solid campaign in his first full season with the Black-and-Red last year, seeing time in 44 games in all competitions (35 starts) and collecting two goals and four assists.

Posted by: Reignking | January 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

=====================

and collecting one of the best red cards ever earned at the SoccerPlex for showing Mr. Blanco to his seat

Posted by: OWNTF | January 7, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Not to pile on RedskinAddict but I think Goff has explained that he can't devote the time and energy to that much coverage of the college game, but he's also encouraged anyone with local news to post it. As I-270 points out, Steve still does a pretty solid job once the season starts to take shape, and gets rolling along.

Also:Did United trade away their first round pick/s last year? Can't remember.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | January 7, 2009 4:27 PM

Word up.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 7, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, if United is interested in Zakuani, I'd imagine Seattle would be happy to take our two 1st Round picks in exchange for their pick.

I personally think Gonzalez would be a better fit with United. He's got size, and he's quicker than any of our current central defenders.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 7, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I am officially lobbying for Jeremy Hall, and Peri Marosevic. I believe Peri has scored almost all the goals for the current USA U-20's this past year. Hall has a great engine, good 1v1, serves a better ball than Fred, and is a local boy.

Posted by: Dipssince78 | January 8, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse