Thursday Kickaround

*Two months after the MLS season ended, it starts again. D.C. United opens training camp today, though the term "training camp" is a little misleading. Much of the next seven days will be filled with meetings, physicals and indoor fitness workouts before the club moves outside to the RFK training grounds late next week (weather permitting). DCU will then head to Bradenton, Fla., on Feb. 3. Join me here on the Insider later this morning and early this afternoon for news and updates.

*What do you think of washingtonpost.com? Join dotcom sports editor Jon DeNunzio for a live online chat at 11 a.m. Questions in advance are encouraged.

*Soccer on TV today:
Italian Cup, Lazio-Torino 3 p.m. GolTV
South American U-20s, Uruguay-Chile 6 p.m. GolTV
UNCAF Cup, El Salvador-Nicaragua 6 p.m. Galavision
UNCAF Cup, Honduras-Belize 8:30 p.m. Galavision
South American U-20s, Brazil-Bolivia 8 p.m. GolTV

*Buckeye Barometer
(Countdown to the USA-Mex qualifier on Feb. 11)
Today: 29 to 36 degrees, sunny
Tomorrow: 26 to 42, mostly cloudy
Saturday: 15 to 25, cloudy

*Italian Cup, Inter Milan defeats Roma, 2-1:

*King's Cup, Valencia defeats Sevilla, 3-2: (What do you think of Sevilla's second goal?)

By Steve Goff  |  January 22, 2009; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Italy , Spain , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thoughts With Williams Family
Next: Greetings From RFK

Comments

The Sevilla player was "only" 5 yards offside...play on I say ;-)

Posted by: jrfath | January 22, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

What do I think about the Sevilla goal? I think the rule about a ball coming off a defender shouldn't apply to such a bare touch -- it's impossible to say the defender touched it, except that the ball does appear to take an unusual skip.

What do I say about the Inter-Roma match? That must have been a thrilling game. Hard to believe it was a mere Cup match. I kinda wish I hadn't given up GolTV when I switched from Comcast. Verizon needs to slash their charges for GolTV and Setanta.

What do I think of Washingtonpost.com? I think Soccer Insider is the best blog of its kind. I hope you can keep up the great work, Goff.

Posted by: fischy | January 22, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

here's an Italian goal for you. Turn up the volume . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | January 22, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Sevillas second goal definitley should have been called off side, even if it did touch a defender. The player was in an offside position when the ball was played by his teammate, it does not matter if it deflects off a defender to get to him.

Posted by: jjfooty | January 22, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

the dotcom sports editor? I guess he is the only one with job security? Be nice to him, Goff. We'd hate to lose the insider because you pulled a prank at an office party.

Posted by: troy6 | January 22, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Maybe DeNunzio can clarify the offside rule.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So lots of emphasis on DC United and International Soccer would reflect well on you Steve? Gotchya! Thanks for everything you do.
The previous thread is a testament to how powerful Soccer Insider really is.
Love to hear about how Jaime's coming along,and Ben Olsen???

OFFSIDE!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 22, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I just read that Lyle Adams wasn't at this camp. How come?

Posted by: SexyOffender | January 22, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

From BTB

The initial pre-season roster looks like this:

Goalkeepers (4): Louis Crayton, Milos Kocic, James Thorpe, Zach Wells.

Defenders (10): Marc Burch, Ivan Guerrero, Greg Janicki, Gonzalo Martinez, Devon McTavish, Ryan Miller, Bryan Namoff, Kyle Veris, Rodney Wallace, Mike Zaher.

Midfielders (7): Brandon Barklage, Fred, Marcelo Gallardo, Domenic Mediate, Ben Olsen, Clyde Simms, Joe Vide.

Forwards (6): Francis Doe, Luciano Emilio, Boyzzz Khumalo, Jaime Moreno, Chris Pontius, Santino Quaranta.

Posted by: Reignking | January 22, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Maybe DeNunzio can clarify the offside rule.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 10:18 AM

How many Caddyshack jokes do you think he hears in a day? Poor guy

Posted by: Kev29 | January 22, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Maybe DeNunzio can clarify the offside rule.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 10:18 AM

Or, maybe DeNunzio can refresh the chat a bit more ferequently.

Slowest. Chat. Ever.

Posted by: JkR- | January 22, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

2nd goal - 5 yards offside.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | January 22, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I feel like I've been dared to engage in another one of my efforts to explain the offside rule. In FIFA's flash presentation, slide 21 clearly covers this situation. The Sevilla player gained an advantage by being in an offside position. This contrasts neatly with Valencia's first goal, where David Villa was in an offside position, but no offense was committed because the ball was played by the defense in a controlled manner. The ball did not come from a teammate -- thus, no offside offense.

If anyone dares to extend this conversation by questioning this explanation, I'll have them drawn and quartered.

Posted by: fischy | January 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

As an editor, he need not be a fast typist (maybe that's why he was promoted :-). Also,as an editor, he can fire anyone who makes Caddyshack jokes - or at least assign them to cover Valerenga's team-building boot camp.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

OK fischy, message received. But is it "offside" or "offsides?" :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Was it a slow chat or were people not asking questions? I forgot to submit my question until well into it and it was answered. If I had known so little would have been covered I would have elaborated on my question.

Posted by: sitruc | January 22, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

It was a slow chat. I imagine DeNunizo was sifting through a lot of irate "Why doesn't the Post cover more High School junior varsity 20/20 cricket matches?" He mentioned that there were still a lot of Qs in the queue but he got a cue to leave.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

270- singular. The player is 'offside' the rule is 'offside' in Aasociation Football it is colloquially known as the 'offsides rule' although the plural doesn't appear in the text.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 22, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse