Two Goals for J. Johnson

Jemal Johnson, a 23-year-old forward who was born in New Jersey and raised in England, scored early and late during MK Dons' 5-3 victory over Cheltenham in England's League One today. To learn more about Johnson, click here.

UPDATE: Check out his first goal, courtesy of watchsocceronline.

By Steve Goff  |  January 31, 2009; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  England
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Always followed his career in England....glad he's doing well. I wonder if he would play for the American or England National Team if given the chance??

Posted by: BenCanada | January 31, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I hate to point out minor typos but I think the team is called the MK (Milton Keynes) Dons.

Posted by: PeteO1 | January 31, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Whew. After Rossi and Subotic, I thought we would run out of players for the "don't let him slip away" discussion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 31, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It is MK Dons, I've noticed Goff calling them DK Dons for a while now.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 31, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

ok....if you want to be technical about things it's "The Team Formally Known as Wimbledon FC"

Posted by: BenCanada | January 31, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I was under the impression that this guy doesn't really consider himself American.

Plus he's not nearly good enough to play for our national team. Remember, the guy is in League One because he couldn't cut it in the Premier League or League Championship.

Posted by: Eugene7 | January 31, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Eugene7: Never let facts get in the way of a raging debate.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 31, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

team name fixed. my bad.....

thanks for the head's up!

sg

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 31, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

50 days to United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 31, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I awoke from a nap, and my blurry vision at first led me to believe that "J. Johnson" was just "Johnson", which in turn led me to believe that Eddie Johnson had scored twice. It was like getting water thrown in your face when you're groggy. I woke right up, only to be disappointed that my eyes had betrayed me.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 31, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

OT, from Steve's story today: "Gallardo's departure will save United's investors about $1.5 million."

Does this mean bonuses for United's media relations and ticket sales staff?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 31, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PeteO1 | January 31, 2009 12:21 PM

Between Congress and soccer, all of this Keynesian talk is hurting my supply side sensibilities...

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 31, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

For anyone at the Caps game today:

Was that McTavish (and a semi-shaved head) on the kiss came today? Thought it was, but had a lot of NYRB and Grey Goose today.

Posted by: Section117 | January 31, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone about to watch BJ Penn/ St. Pierre fight? we can talk soccer later... but whatchya all know about fighters from Hawaii? Next mofo that talks smack about Brian Ching is gonna get licked by BJ Penn.....!!!whoooo!
Kailua Boyzzzzz!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 31, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

@Joe Doc: Huh? No-one said anything about Roy and Robbie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 31, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Watch this player. He has been scoring and setting up goals all season. Johnson made the climb from League 2 to League 1 this season, and his performance is suggesting that should the Dons get promoted he will be in their plans in the next league up, the Championship, where a few other Yanks currently ply their trade. Wonder if he is on Bradley's radar?

Posted by: bartapest1 | February 1, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Off topic, but interesting:

Press reports reveal Fulham is supposedly looking to acquire McBride on loan.

The loan would run for the rest of the english season.

Can McBride prevail? I truly wonder. I am a huge McBride fan.

This would also ease DCU's chance to win the home opener (against Chicago).

Posted by: ErickSp8 | February 1, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattygp | February 1, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Eugene7, Jemal is in League 1 because he wanted to play for Paul Ince and was impressed with the ambition of the club. I saw him play 4-5 times with Wolves in the Championship and he did well when he played. He apparently he got into a disagreement with Mick McCarthy while there that got him benched for awhile and eventually sent out on loan to Darlington & Leeds.

Here is a link to recent article on Jemal from ESPNSoccernet.com

Posted by: Buddle4WC2010 | February 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

so apparently donovan played 15 minutes in a loss against hamburg. did anyone see the match? how did he play?

and altidore's loan to a second division club is a good idea. close by, so Villareal can keep an eye on him, but hopefully lots of minutes. since the club is leading its division and looking for promotion, jozy will be looking for greater first division minutes next season.

Posted by: troy6 | February 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow... great speed by this kid... can we hurry and get him capped maybe in one of these games that doesn't matter??

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Quigliarello's goal for Udinese againts Napoli. Wow!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, that link contains all the highlights. The Q goal is at about 1:28.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse