USA-Mexico Tickets

If you are looking for tickets to the USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier next month in Columbus, beware of this offer for outlandishly priced seats on StubHub. The USSF says it is looking into it and reminds everyone that the only legitimate access to tickets is through Ticketmaster. The official sale will begin soon, perhaps this week.

(Thanks to Insider loyalist Stephen for the original link.)

How much would you be willing to pay for a seat to Ice Bowl II?

[UPDATE] The prices on StubHub are now much more reasonable, but again, tickets have yet to officially go on sale.

By Steve Goff  |  January 5, 2009; 12:54 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Mexico , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps News
Next: USA, U-20, DCU Updates

Comments

It would be nice if USSF gave us some kind of clue as to when tickets will go on sale.

Posted by: DrewROC | January 5, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I went back to Ohio,
But the qualifier tickets were all gone,
There was nothing I could do,
There wasn't a scalper
Sam's Army had disappeared
All my favorite places
Like Shoneys and Burger King
Reduced to painted faces
A, O, way to go Ohio...

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 5, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Nice one, joedoc1. If Chrissie Hynde didn't hate sports, and if the game wasn't in February, the Pretenders could perform at halftime. :-)

In an ideal world, I'd pay a lot extra to have the game moved to a Saturday, when I could actually attend. So it goes.

Posted by: SSMD1 | January 5, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Should I send my refund request to USSF?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 5, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Those are probably Warner's tix on Stubhub.

Posted by: EssEff | January 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I've read elsewhere that Sounders fans are already buying or considering selling their season tickets for the "July 4th home game" to pay for their 2010 season tickets...? Sounding like the reports of people in the District not finding any out of towners to rent their places for the inauguration.

Steve: Any news about United playing at home on July 4th? Maybe an Obama pk with Hillary between the pipes before kickoff? :-)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Those are Super Bowl Level Prices...although I think this match is more exciting than the Super Bowl, I don't think too many soccer fans will bite. Looking forward to La Guerra Fria III!!!

Posted by: bigwave | January 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Though it is US-Mexico, it's also going to be a freezing weeknight 400 miles away. I'll be at a warm bar with the match (and Carolina-Duke) on giant screens.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 5, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

If you want Chrissie Hynde to show up, advertise a pig roast tailgate.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Any clue when the June 6 location will be announced... nice to have a Sat match to travel to..

Posted by: billq1 | January 5, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I've already got my flight from Denver. Please post if anyone sees tix on sale from US Soccer; or I might need to get some info on a good Columbus Bar to catch the match.....

Posted by: hacksaw | January 5, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

naah, those aren't Super Bowl prices just yet...get-ins for that are just under $2k per, at the moment.

I betcha the broker (or seller) doesn't even have those in hand...listing bogus sections just fishing for orders.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 5, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Well in, OWNTF.

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 5, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen any announcements yet from USSF about presale of tix. Although the match the last time there was fantastic, the drive is way too long for a mid week game to make the trip -- and shiver me timbers. I do plan on making another pilgramage to the Azteca and hope the SEs plan another group trip, although the leader of the last trip has gone back home down under.

MR Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | January 5, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Those could very well be Crew season ticket-holders not planning to go to the match...they get first crack at their seats just like United planholders at RFK, if I understand correctly.

Also, Sam's Army and American Outlaws have both started selling tickets in their sections through their respective websites.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | January 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sam's Army website states that it will accept orders through Jan 15th. I called US Soccer on 1/7 to ask why the delay, they gave me a bit of run-around and said they were "focused on the Sweden match" and they would release info soon. I guess that holding the ticket announcement helps keep the crowd pro-American. My guess is that US Soccer will not sell seats until Sam's Army offer shuts down so they can properly document tickets sold already.

Posted by: robertwisniewski | January 9, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse