USA to Bid for World Cups

The USSF will formally announce on Monday its intention to bid for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. At that time, Fed Prez Sunil Gulati will discuss the project and introduce an executive director of the USA bid committee.

Monday is the FIFA deadline for federations to submit paperwork expressing interest in hosting one of the two tournaments.

The 2018 and 2022 hosts will be chosen in December 2010.

How do you like the USA's chances for the 2018 event? Or will FIFA go back to Europe and wait until 2022 for a possible CONCACAF or Asian venue?

By Steve Goff  |  January 29, 2009; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Video: Mexico-Sweden Friendly

Comments

The US will likely get one or the other. The growth of soccer here, combined with plethora of stadiums make it easy for the US put together an attractive bid.

That said, I think FIFA is going to hand 2018 to England. Because if England doesn't get it, they're going to cry and whine about it forever.

Posted by: TCompton | January 29, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Europe is the bread and butter of international soccer. They won't go three World Cups without having one in Europe. So unless the European economy completely tanks before next December, 2018 almost certainly ends up there. I'd bet in England since they haven't hosted it since 1966 and have the facilities already and the history. Spain/Portugal and Russia would likely be the biggest contenders with England. 2022 either ends up in Asia or CONCACAF. I think given China's emerging status as a world economic power and their government's willingness to spend lavish sums on big events, if China bids, they probably would be the favorite for 2022 if it's going to be picked in 2010. Plus, the US and Mexico bids probably split the voting blocks for a CONCACAF hosted world cup.

Posted by: thrh1 | January 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Please, not in Asia (which means China or Japan, right?). By 2022 I will be too old to wake up at 3 AM to watch the matches. I agree with TCompton that FIFA will hand it to England in 2018. Having three consecutive tournaments out of Europe will upset the powers. I also agree with the "cry and whine about it forever" statement.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | January 29, 2009 10:25 AM

That and they invented the game, have the best football infrastructure, security, easy transport and will (by then) have a 52 year lag between hosting Cups. But yeah, I'd go with the whining theory.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 29, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

2018 is going to Europe -- almost certainly to England. 2022 will got USA or Australia. Loser gets the 2026 Cup.

Posted by: fischy | January 29, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that the Godfather, Jack Warner, has basically sold his support to the England bid in 2018 in return for the Brits taking a brief vacation and scrimmage in the Carribbean last year. To my mind, unless they do something historically stupid, 2018 is England's to lose. 2022 is likely US v. China, which I would have to view as a toss-up at this point. Both have the economic scale and infrastructure to easily stage the event. Both have second tier teams that are likely good enough to reach the knock-out round given a favorable draw and home field advantage, and maybe even spring a surprise or two. Both can potentially generate massive profits for FIFA (which is the main goal anyway, right?). Right now, it's anyone's guess as to where this decision myight go. Bottom line, I think the 2018 bid is a waste of time, and US Soccer should focus on 2022.

Posted by: throwin | January 29, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Agree with fischy, US v Oz in 2022. Although the lure of the Chinese market will be strong for FIFA members. But who the heck knows what any market will look like in a few years.

I think the Australians will give us quite a fight for 2022. Only their time zone and our commercial appeal work against them.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 29, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lets bring the CUP back to the states its been how long? 15 years since it has been in this side of the hemisphere.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 29, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

If England gets 2018, I can't wait to watch their fans cry as their team falls apart, once again. This time on their own soil. Beautiful.

Posted by: Hoost | January 29, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 29, 2009 11:06 AM

Hence, Brazil 2014

Posted by: Kev29 | January 29, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I still do not believe we are in the running for either. 2018 is England's to lose, and 2022 could go to any number of countries: Australia, China, Russia, Benelux, etc. I feel instead that we are FIFA's ace in the hole for 2010 or 2014.

Expecting one (or both) of those to fail, they would need a country with the infrastructure in place to host the tournament on short notice, of which only a handful countries could meet (us, England, possibly Japan/Korea). If we do get one of these, there is no chance of our bid being taken for 2018 or 2022.

Posted by: Josh8 | January 29, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

No way FIFA chooses two "New World" world cups in a row.

USA would have to be the frontrunner for 2022 but FIFA and logical hardly ever go in the same sentence. We definitely have 2022 or 2026 - talk about long range planning!

Posted by: churtmah | January 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

With a growing league and a huge potential market for soccer sales here in the US, the World Cup would only help the MLS and soccer internationally. So in otherwords, we're screwed. ;-)
I hope that FIFA gives it back to US, I still have WC stuff from the last time it was here.

Posted by: boda-united | January 29, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I just don't care. If it is abroad, I have an excuse to travel. OTOH, I hate FIFA and its cronies and their choosing of a WC host 10 years early is simply so that they can line their pockets. I'd rather focus on the product on the field than think about Blatter and Warner.

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: throwin | January 29, 2009 10:50 AM
______________________________
And we all know that an assurance from Jack Warner is iron-clad, right? ;)

Seriously, 2018 is all but assured to England, unless they do something to screw it up. The best chance the US has is in 2022, unless Mexico lines more FIFA pockets, um, I mean, mounts a more credible bid.... I think China hosted a good Olympics, but their men's soccer is not so good. I don't like their chances in the near term, frankly.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | January 29, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I can't understand England having the Olympics and World Cup in the same decade.

Spread the wealth!

Oh, wait, we're talking about FIFA.

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Spread the wealth!

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 12:00 PM

USA '94, Atlanta '96
Munich '72, West Germany '74
Mexico City '68, Mexico '70
Stockholm '56, Sweden '58

It's actually pretty commonplace. And Chicago is going to get 2016...

Posted by: Kev29 | January 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 "...they invented the game, have the best football infrastructure, security, easy transport and will (by then) have a 52 year lag between hosting Cups"

Geez. Whining already? There are security concerns with hosting in England, but I believe they should host 2018. I also hope USA can do 2022 and convince Mexico to hold off as they have hosted twice already. In exchange, the US can help influence a MEX bid for 2030? I think we will have flying cars or star trek
like transporters by then, so location of event will not be so important then.

Posted by: juanma_carr | January 29, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

2018 is a long shot, I think england will get it.
2022 is the better bet. I doubt china will mount the opposition that many think. They are having huge issues with thier domestic league, match fixing, fan violence etc...
The national team is struggling. They are already out of WC 2010. They did beat minnows Vietnam in Asian cup qualifing, stay tuned. I think that Australia will put up the bigger fight for 2022. their domestic league is growing and the national team is improving. remind you of US94. I do agree that the USA is FIFA's back up for 2010, and 2014. 2010 is looking more solid, but you never know.

Posted by: jjfooty | January 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

No one has mentioned that the 1994 WC set a new standard for profit. FIFA loves money.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't get one of the two. As TCompton points out, 2018 is already in England's hands. Frankly, I can handle a 4 year wait if it'll keep them from the wailing and gnashing of teeth that usually accompanies England and not winning. In other news, I think SI regulars would make a great bunch of colonial rebels.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 29, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

This may be a crazy idea, but could the U.S. bid get more support by including a Canadian city or two as host to one or more first-round games?

Posted by: martyb1 | January 29, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

We'd get the support of Canada, but the important vote is held by CONCACAF chairman and FIFA VP Jack Warner. Kickback Jack may be persuaded to vote for it if Canada signs over the deed to one of those cities.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 29, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I think we're gonna get screwed big time

2018: England
2022: China
2026: Australia
2030: Mexico
2034: Europe (Russia)
2038: Argentina
2042: USA????

Posted by: PindarPushkin | January 29, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

FIFA is going to use our backup status against. we will become the perpetual backup.

there hasnt been a WC in a spanish speaking country in a long time. australia is bound to happen soon and b/w south africa/england/australia that's a lot of english. china is willing to pay cold hard cash for their rights. our fed rep doesnt care about us or the fed. we're not getting anything.

it's a real shame because a WC in 2022 or 2026 (at the latest) is exactly what is needed to give the sport the second boost (and perm place) in this country.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | January 29, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"there hasnt been a WC in a spanish speaking country in a long time."
Posted by: PindarPushkin | January 29, 2009 6:05 PM
============================

Hola FIFA! Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos. Quieremos una Copa Mundial en dos mil diesyocho o dos mil veintidos.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Won't the Obama bring us the WC in 2018. I remember the IOC basically saying the Olympics would go to Chicago due to his historic election, and the fact the the USA is now viewed by the Euros as not a racist country counrtry full of rednecks.

Posted by: cr10 | January 30, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse