USA Training Camp Roster

Twenty players, all but one from MLS, have been invited to USA training camp starting tomorrow in Carson, Calif. Foreign-based players will be added in the days leading to the USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier Feb. 11 in Columbus, Ohio. The only import in this preliminary camp is Swedish-based forward Charlie Davies. Everyone on this list was in camp earlier this month, except for new/old arrival Frankie Hejduk. All additions will meet the team in Ohio starting Feb. 7.

GOALKEEPERS: Jon Busch, Will Hesmer, Matt Pickens.
DEFENDERS; Frankie Hejduk, Jonathan Bornstein, Chris Wingert, Marvell Wynne, Ugo Ihemelo.
MIDFIELDERS: Brian Carroll, Ricardo Clark, Eddie Gaven, Stuart Holden, Jack Jewsbury, Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers, John Thorrington.
FORWARDS: Brian Ching, Kenny Cooper, Charlie Davies, Chris Rolfe.

Once the foreign-based players arrive in Columbus, the roster will eventually be narrowed down to 18 for the match..

By Steve Goff  |  January 29, 2009; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Mexico-Sweden Friendly
Next: D.C. United News and Notes

Comments

I only want to see 3 of those guys on the game-day roster: Cooper, Kljestan, and Hejduk.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 29, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Time to play "Not in The 18"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

hedjuk? ooof.

Posted by: hogmesh | January 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Not in the 18:

GK: Jon Busch, Will Hesmer, Matt Pickens.

Posted by: TCompton | January 29, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

You always need a guy like Hejduk, if only to lead the lap line. I'm guessing he doesn't complain about being played out of position, as well.

He always makes my 23, often my 18, seldom my 11.

Posted by: JkR- | January 29, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

If we are honest we know BB likes to have some guys to coach (see camps) but 80-90% of these guys are practice dumbies and nothing more.

Posted by: euroman | January 29, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Barcelona Copa del Rey derby today, and Barca is actually starting a real squad (first leg was 0-0).

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Jewsbury
Rogers
Thorrington
Cooper
Davies
Rolfe

That would leave Hejduk, Bornsten, Clark, Kljestan, and Ching. Looking over the list of guys I think Bradley will leave out, I don't see anyone that has a good argument for making it bar Wynne (who needs to be a part of the squad in legitimately important games; Hejduk's time with the US should be over). Cooper was a bit of a disappointment against Sweden, and I'd much rather have Altidore available as Ching's replacement. In fact, of the forwards on my "not making the squad" list, I'd bring in Rolfe first.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 29, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Jozy will probably get some PT this weekend, too, for Villarreal, so BB and we will get to see his form.

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

With the injury to Cherundolo and lack of playing time for Pearce, I would not mind seeing Frankie at LB or RB against Mexico.

I prefer Wynne over Bornstein/Pearce so I'm hoping to see Hejduk on the left.

Posted by: ahelms10 | January 29, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

It'd be easier to play maybe in the 18. It's a shorter list.

Yes, A) Ching, Kljestan, Clark
Maybe B) Wynne, Davies

The rest? Only if injury to the regulars.

Posted by: delantero | January 29, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff: a week or two ago, you indcated that because Benny's contract was a guaranteed contract, DC wouldn't recover his salary cap hit even if he retired at this this point. Can you clarify this? In particular, can you clarify what this means re: the stuff going on with Gallardo? His contract was guaranteed too. Does DC somehow not recover his salary cap hit?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 29, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hejduk's a good guy to have for training purposes. As far as the gameday roster, he should be nowhere near it.

Kljestan, Ching, Davies, and Clark should all be in the running to make the gameday roster. Kljestan and Ching are pretty much locks. None of them are (or should be) locks to start.

Posted by: psps23 | January 29, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Hejduk will be in the 18 because Cherundolo and Spector are injured.

Ching will be in as will Klejstan and Bornstein.

The maybes are Clark, Cooper and Davies.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | January 29, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see a lot of the olympic boys getting noticed. Even though most won't be playing on the 11th, I think we'll be seeing more of them in the next year. I would like to see Wynne make the bench at least, and either Rogers or Holden (if he's healthy) as possible winger backups.

Posted by: silverrey | January 29, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hejduk is only being called in because they are playing in Columbus. BB is trying to sell tickets.

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Reignking: huh? The match sold out in 90 minutes *yesterday*.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 29, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

That was easy.

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | January 29, 2009 5:09 PM

Reignking: huh? The match sold out in 90 minutes *yesterday*.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 29, 2009 5:12 PM

Well, calling in Hejduk worked! :-)

Posted by: OnTheEdge2 | January 29, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 29, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Easy on Surfer Dude.

He's been in 3 World Cups, dozens of qualifiers, a bunch of Gold Cups, just finished winning an MLS Cup, and he should be included because he's the fittest member of the team and can still run all day.

He'll be fine.

Posted by: delantero | January 29, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I somehow got dragged away, by my gosh dang brother in law during Comcast's roundtable! Heard the first round of questions. I heard Goff saying he thought Gallardo was gone and then boom the tv was off and we were walking out the door...

What did you guys talk about Steve?
Is there any archive of this segment buried on Comcast or the Post's websites somewhere? Will they post the tape somewhere tomorrow?
I already checked and it doesn't appear that a replay will be coming tonight

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

If Frankie doesn't make the 18, will he chug hot toddys with the fans at the tailgate?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse