Video: Beckham's Goal

Capping AC Milan's 4-1 victory over Bologna.....

By Steve Goff  |  January 25, 2009; 3:28 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , Italy
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: USA-Sweden Goals
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Goldenballs will stay in Italy. He will give up 200 million bucks or so, but he'll stay cuz ultimately he like futbol more than coin. And he already has plenty of coin.

The Galaxy won't miss him, MLS might, but Arena will make things work in LA.

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho, you headed Street Soccer's "Sport for Change Benefit" dinner?

Wear one of Quavas Kirk's suits. You'll fit right in.

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I would have stopped that shot.

Hope Solo

Posted by: OWNTF | January 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

wow, the old guy's still got it. Goes near post, high up, from a pretty tough angle. Nice.

Posted by: macheath | January 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: macheath | January 25, 2009 4:07 PM

==========================

I think the fact that he did the running to get there says quite a lot about the old geezer. And then the quality....nice...

Posted by: JkR- | January 25, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

What struck me, more so than the goal, was how happy he looked after he scored. Looks like LA will be $800K clear....

Posted by: Josh8 | January 25, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Excellent point about the reaction Josh. I won't guess as to his future but he sure seems to be well regarded by his team mates. Lots of genuine looking affection.

Posted by: JkR- | January 25, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

It was anice goal, great match to watch too. With Ronaldinho's stock dropping and Becks' on the rise, perhaps MLS and AC Milan can come to some sort of understanding? A high profile swap deal?

Becks may want to stay (who can blame him?) but it all comes down to the Spice Lady. Does she still love the States, anyone?

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

See ya later...

Posted by: beergorila | January 25, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Josh great point. He loves football so much more than money.

He still has pace, hes been charging up and down those flanks his entire time in Milan...looking better each game. Landon and Beckham are not coming back.

Posted by: strago | January 25, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

""Becks may want to stay (who can blame him?) but it all comes down to the Spice Lady. ""

Are you saying she wears the pants?

Given the state of her career recently, I'd say he's got more say.

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I would have stopped that shot.

Hope Solo

Posted by: OWNTF | January 25, 2009 4:03 PM
--------------------------------------------

It used to be more fun when you could just put any name in the "posted by" slot.

I was scooby doo once...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 25, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

can anybody blame David B if he decides to stay in Milan? He looks like he is having a lot of fun.

Given his team performance last year and the new coach historical attitude towards big EGOs, i can understand why he would be unhappy here.

MLS will very well let him stay till summer there and get some money for his services. Given the economic situation here in NA, they might as well start getting some returns on their investment.

Otherwise it will be a very public mud-wrestling between Goldenballs and MLS out of which i am certain that MLS ability to attract other stars and the level of playing here in NA will be further tarnished.

Posted by: gmail | January 25, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Guy scores a goal and he's gone.
Landon Donovan scores how many? And he's still not good enough?
Some shameless Euro nut riding in these threads this last week.
Beckham signed a contract, are those only honored in the USA?
Doesn't he also have some sort of option to buy into an MLS franchise if he fulfills his contract? I know he loves his futbal, but I'm sure his L. Ron Hubbard homies have successfully deposited the implant that will find him back in LA lest his head explode.

I bet Beckham comes back to MLS. I bet Donovan doesn't.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 25, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh8

Are you people insane? Because he was extremely happy after a goal you think he is leaving? Good God, he just absolutely ripped a shot off near post and could've killed the keeper. Of course he was happy!!! Did you expect him to just wave it off and jog back?

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I would have made that shot.

- Mia Hamm

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I would have missed that shot.

-Any DC United forward

Posted by: Hoost | January 26, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Did you expect him to just wave it off and jog back?

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2009 10:02 PM

That's what I would have done. And looked good doing it.

- Landon Donovan

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 26, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Beckham signed a contract, are those only honored in the USA?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 25, 2009 9:59 PM

Dad - are you trying to say that athletic contracts are honored in here in the US? Ha!

I agree though, I think he's coming back. He's already succeeded with this loan in his terms, getting himself back in the spotlight for Capello and staying sharp. He's made his statement for inclusion in the England squad for their friendly in a couple weeks - then the Spring qualifiers.

Of course, it would be a heck of a lot easier to play in their 3/28 and 4/1 Wembley qualifiers while based in Europe...

Posted by: Kev29 | January 26, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I caught the last 20 or so minutes of the match. I tuned in to see if Beckham was playing. The first glimpse I got of him, he had a nice takeaway along the sideline, spun and maintained posession for Milan. I thought to myself, "That's not Beckham. Too quick." Then, I realized (or the announcer told me) that it was him. He looked really good out there. Even missed a chance at a second goal late in the match.

Posted by: DWE4 | January 26, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

So THAT'S what he was missing - someone to feed him the ball in a dangerous position. Who knew?

Posted by: tpsteele | January 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I think it still says a lot about MLS that they were able to go out and get him when they did.

They took advantage of his fall from grace with the Galacticos, got him over here YEARS before he probably would have ever considered it before and now MLS will have a chance to SELL him back to Europe. That's a HECK of nice arbitrage there regardless of what they paid him while he was here.

The LA Galaxy and the league will go on without him. Our television audience is more tied to the product on the field than Beckham. And now, during this global recession, is the best time for MLS to dump it's warchest of capital into players, coaches, and product. The Galaxy will likely improve without Beckham or Donovan because they can go back to building an actual team instead of a traveling road show. Bruce Arena will prove that he's a master of team assembly and that makes up for his lack of coaching accumen and he'll move into the front office and either Sarachan or someone else will take over later.

The blueprint of MLS lies in our club (DC United), Toronto, and Seattle.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 26, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Good points, VBB. Your prophecy could manifest itself, but...
It's very noble for some us to be compassionate enough to hope for other team's success for the good of the league! Maybe we should work some sort of Red Star into the MLS logo...:-)

I do believe that DCU, TFC, and SSFC are blueprint clubs that that the rest of the league should look to. DCU more for it's traditions, and Killer fan base, as a ton of the FO's moves as of late have been highly questionable. Seattle seems to be making huge moves, it's nice to see those guys putting so MUCH into it, even if a lot of it seems kinda corny to people outside of the Puget Sound region. I'll refrain from giving too many props to Toronto... just can't do it. (but yes, I secretly admit that they are giving it a solid go, even though they fell out last season).

Blah,Blah...

Goff: Any way you could add a Benny's Ankles Report to go along with your Columbus weather updates?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 26, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Here's video of Walter Martinez's goal, which BTW was a banger!!!!

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 26, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse