Americans Abroad, Tues. Edition

On Wednesday.....

UEFA CUP
GKs Brad Friedel/Brad Guzan and Aston Villa play CSKA Moscow
D Oguchi Onyewu and Standard Liege face Braga
F Marcus Tracy and Aalborg meet Deportivo de Coruna
------------
MF Clint Dempsey and Fulham visit Manchester United (Setanta, 3 p.m.)
D Michael Orozco and San Luis play at Club America
MF Jose Francisco Torres and Pachuca visit Puebla

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2009; 6:30 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Louis Crayton
Next: Early Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Say "Rangers face Forfar" five times fast.

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Slow down Goffinho! I cant keep up!

Posted by: strago | February 17, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Senyore (no enyay on my keyboard) Goff,

I realize you have been keeping up a hectic pace on the board . . (and it's only February!) but how's the Allies vs Vichy French Sympathizer . . .er sorry .. . WW II rematch coming along?

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

""I don't get delantero's problem with MacFarlane wanting to make a buck. I think it is silly to question his commitment to the club.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 17, 2009 10:25 AM ""

I know this is the wrong thread, but I take offense.

I don't have a problem with making money. Our Federal Reserve keeps printing it at alarming rates, though.

I have a problem with an investor who sees a soccer club (My soccer club since 1996 that ended with a rainy, cold, overtime day in Foxborough!!) as a tool to further his business interests.

If PG County will advance the club, great. That remains to be seen.

That's why I have every right to question what I see as a shortsighted decision to move to the burbs.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Szetela becoming quite a fixture on notinthe18.

Surprised that Tracy is on AaB's roster...doubt he plays, but we'll see.

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* Shortsighted this move to PG County is not...

Let's be honest here, you're just another Virginian who's whining that you'll have to travel another 15 minutes. The World does not revolve around the Commonwealth. I only wish I didn't have to drive through VA on my way to watch United from NC.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 17, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

"I know for a fact though, that a stadium on the banks of the Anacostia or somewhere in one of the greatest cities in the world would ABSOLUTELY push this club to the next level."

It would've been the crowing jewel in American soccer (or a World Cup!) -- but the cards simply and sadly didn't line up for DCU.

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Senyore (no enyay on my keyboard) Goff,

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 7:29 PM
---------------------------------------------

Hold "alt" then on the number pad type 1,6,4 then release "alt", it should work.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | February 17, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StewartDC8 | February 17, 2009 9:05 PM
---------------------------------------------
Hey, I finally learned something from this good-fer-nutin' blog. Thanks, man.

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm with cranky ones. DC doesn't even have a developer yet, so no real plan for Poplar Point. MacFarlane should just send in some contractors and start building a stadium. Permits? Deeds? We don't need no stinkin' permits or deeds.....

When they're done, the city can pretend to be surprised, claiming they had no idea this was happening.....

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

"MFs DaMarcus Beasley/Maurice Edu and Glasgow Rangers face Forfar in Scottish Cup"

Isn't that a little optimistic?

Posted by: bergamot | February 17, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"Do you not think that KP has been looking at any possible stadium site within the district for the last 7-8 years? "

No, I don't. And we haven't heard anything from the team about those sites.

Plus, his boss/es have only been around for 2 years. And they seem to have an idea of what they want.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Well at least we know Glasgow Rangers will play...

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | February 17, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

would ABSOLUTELY push this club to the next level.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 8:09 PM
=============

What next level, the Coca-Cola Championship?
Seriously though I don't think we're ever going to reach agreement on this issue. Let's not discuss it and remain friends. Agreed?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I've had it with these MF'in MFs not in the MF'in 18!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

If Beasley/Maurice Edu can't get some minutes against FORFAR, it's time to get loan deal to the austrian 2nd division.

Posted by: gode | February 18, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse