More DCU News and Notes

DCU Coach Tom Soehn on.....

Joe Vide's departure: "I don't think it's that Joe changed. I think the circumstances around him changed. Our team is really deep. It's competitive and losing some roster spots obviously affects not just Joe, but some other guys too."

Zach Wells's retirement: "It came by surprise. I had some conversations with Zach in the offseason and all I kept hearing is that his rehab [from foot surgery] is going well. When Zach came here [for the start of camp], I still didn't get any sense of him wanting to call it a career. He asked to talk to me on a Friday, which is normal -- I get a lot of one-on-one conversations -- and he just said, 'I don't know if I want to do this anymore. I want to take some time to think about it. It's taken my body a lot longer.' Everybody has reasons, everybody figures out a time in their life where they want to make a change. It hit him that it was time to move on and try something new."

more below.....

ON the Puerto Rico traveling party: 28 players total, including four keepers. He declined to offer specifics. There's also the possibility of additional trialists, including Jamaican winger Eric Vernan. The team needs to be roster compliant (20 senior players, four developmentals) by March 2. I will take a closer look at the roster situation tomorrow.

Trialist Mamadou "Futty" Danso, a defender originially identified at DCU's combine in December: "He has to catch up to the rest of the guys who have been at it. He went to Seattle for a couple days [on trial], but he is nowhere near the fitness he was when we had our combine. Along with fitness comes sharpness, and he's got to catch up real quick. At our combine, defensively he was pretty sound. His starting points were good. He has regressed a little bit because he hasn't been in a competitive environment in a while. Unfortunately, we have a deep team and he is going to have to make quick strides to show that he belongs."

Some great material from Louis Crayton is coming. Check back soon.

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2009; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greetings From RFK
Next: A Few Minutes With Louis Crayton

Comments

Mamadou "Futty" Danso - do it baby..Do it - please tell me you are better than Peralta, martinez..etc...

Posted by: godpere | February 17, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like the team is heading in the right direction. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Posted by: hardcoco | February 17, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"we have a deep team"? In defense, on the back line, really? I am disappointed to see Vide go. That's Guerrero and Vide two very good workers for the team last year.

Posted by: decoi | February 17, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

decoi, do you want to see Vide playing on the back line?

Posted by: undrafted | February 17, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to see Vide go. Especially since we haven't seen Jacobson play yet.

Wells couldn't extend to get a ball to save his spine.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 17, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

undrafted. I'd rather keep him around as a dm back-up for Simms then hope another untested player proves out if Simms gets injured or isn't as productive. Sure, I would keep him on the back line if need be, if he can (not like there are a lot of center backs on this team).

Posted by: decoi | February 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"We have a deep team" really means "We have a smaller roster this year".

Wish we had those dev slots. All of these new names we're hearing won't be with the team in a few weeks.

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

godpere:

Don't get your hopes up. Soehn's comments point to his fitness dropping more than expected from December. Plus, we're talking about someone who Seattle, with similar central defensive weaknesses to us, didn't take despite getting the first opportunity.

decoi:

Vide is not a center back. He is not a defender of any kind. I agree that he's a more known quantity than Jacobson, but by that logic we should never make any player moves. If Jacobson could earn a contract from a Ligue 1 side out of college, he must be a decent player. Maybe he turns out worse than Vide, but it seems more likely to me that he's a) an improvement and b) a better fit with DCU's style of play.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 17, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree. I hope they are spending more time on fitness and hard work. That was a real problem last year. Maybe not having to worry about this preseason tournament will allow them to get things lined up correctly.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"ON the Puerto Rico traveling party..."

I like the sound of that.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Chest_Rockwell,

I hope you are correct about Jacobson and I agree with the reasons you propose as they must be the same as the FO. However, Jacobson couldn't keep his contract in France and that's why he's back (unless there's another personal reason we haven't heard) and when I weigh the uncertainty of Jacobson against what I know we get from Vide, I play it safe on this.

Posted by: decoi | February 17, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Caesar just signed the spending bill. I think I can afford to buy a half-season ticket package now.

Is that stimulus spending?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

So Steve, I don't expect an answer to this, but I wonder about the relevance to the DC Wire of David Nakamura's observation today about MacFarlane having his San Fransisco penthouse on the market for $49M? Interesting timing, given the property has been on the market since last summer.

This is DC news?

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 17, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Is that stimulus spending?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 3:25 PM
_________________________________
Yes! A grateful nation thanks you...
;)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | February 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Jacobson was pegged by many as 1st round talent in the 2008 draft (and unexiplicably fell, possibly because he wouldn't sign with the league). He didn't make it in France, but Joe Vide was a supplemental draft pick who was unprotected by NY and waived by SJ. If Jacobson showed better in preseason camp, he's likely the better propect to keep around as a backup DM. Same age with Jacobson having the edge in size and skill. I like Vide's competitiveness but I never saw the talent required for a MLS starter. If MLS teams could afford to be 3 deep at each position, he'd be a nice player to have around.

Posted by: undrafted | February 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Vide was one of the few players who showed some grit last year (Guerrero was another). He was not a finesse player but he pushed back when we got pushed around...and he was a good destroyer as a defensive mid. Maybe Jacobsen pans out but he seems a bit delicate at such a young age.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 17, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic: This may be of interest to cricket fans. Say goodbye to Stanford's 20/20 tournaments. BTW, that Sir Robert for you Brits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"Tommy is seriously deluded if he feels he has a deep team. Not many of our projected starters would start for other teams at this point let alone the rest of the roster. Maybe he plans on having us compete in USL 2. We're pretty deep by those standards."

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 17, 2009 4:06 PM

***************************************

I agree but Soehn's comment may have just been a diplomatic way of telling Danso that he's going to have to improve quickly to make the roster.

As someone else pointed out, DC's depth chart is pretty close to bare bones at central defense.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Vide had one skill, strong in the tackle. That should be easy to replace because it is based on effort more than technique. I have nothing against him, but he will be easily replaced.

Posted by: Golden_Child | February 17, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Am I crazy...I remember Danso being "acquired" last week. Now he's on trial?

Clarification?

Posted by: jweibley | February 17, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

By deep I think tommy meant deep with injuries and unknowns.
I am sad to see Vide go. He played hard and was fun to watch. It is true his skill level was a bit less than some others, but he is young and has room to grow. I am sure he will catch on somewhere. If CP Baltimore or Real MD are paying attention they should be litterally knocking on his door. Although i think he will find a spot in MLS, or USL1 (Richmond?)

The new roster rules are really hurting DCU, and the league i would imagine. Losing the Reserve league was shortsighted at best and at worst it will be catastrophic. I know it was a cash saving decision but It was a bad one.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 17, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

dcu acquired danso's mls rights

not under contract

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 17, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Joe Vide was a useful player for us last year but I can see how the roster cutback worked against him making the team this year.

I wish him well in catching on somewhere else in MLS or the USL this year.

Posted by: Stevenho | February 17, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I liked Joe, but didn't expect him to be around long. Hope he finds a spot...

Posted by: JkR- | February 17, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

lol. Its funny to read all these comments about Joe Vide being "good" , Honestly i didnt see anything special about him...he almost was just a typical midfielder who didnt really shine at all

Posted by: DCUHitMan10 | February 17, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Joe & Clyde, as a team, held our midfield. It was a good combo. I think it will be missed. A good holding midfielder tandem is a valuable thing to have.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 17, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I like Joe Vide (something about that first name ; ), admire how he played last year and think he can still in MLS. That said, we've got Simms, Jacobson and possibly Olsen who can give us minutes at D-mid. And with Gomez (and Moreno who showed last year he's still got game and did well as an A-mid but doesn't have any speed), we're not going to have many matches where we play with 2 central mids who are defensive (ala Simms and Vide). Furthermore, Vide was best in that kind of pairing, not as a stand-alone D-mid. In an ideal world, a local guy (U.Va) who has a big heart and hustles would still be on the team. But I don't think that's possible this year.

Second, I do agree with Soehn that we're a deeper team. I think we're still shopping for a veteran central defender. I'm also not going to argue that we can withstand key injuries--but no-one can in MLS. But last year we had Simms and no-one at D-mid until we added Vide. We had no left back when Burch slumped (in fact, our outside mid depth was pitiful). When Wells didn't work out our GKing was hurting. We lost Olsen and that hurt alot. This year, we have bodies at all positions (who other than GK with Kosic) have played in MLS and are better than 3rd-4th rd pick rookies or guys who have never played in the league beyond scrub minutes. Probably the ONLY two guys on the roster being counted on to contribute who'd fit that are Kosic (a good 2nd round pick) and Jacobson (a 1st round pick who slipped, had an offer in France and had the injury bug). I won't argue that Wallace is going to be all-MLS or Pontius will score 12 goals. And injuries could happen. But right now we've got guys who've played in the league at every position or we've got very highly-rated rookies. Maybe some will get hurt or won't work out. But you can absolutely understand why Guerrero got traded (we've got Fred, Olsen and Quaranta and maybe Pontius at outside mid, Burch and Wallace at left back) and why Vide got cut (where's probably 3rd on the depth chart and wouldn't make the senior roster). With our top rookies (Wallace, Pontius, Kosic), return of Gomez, Jacobson and a potentially healthy Olsen, that's 6 guys we didn't have at the end of last season who we expect to be on the senior roster and play at least some. We're a deeper team this year.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 17, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse