DCU, Stadium, RFK, Terps

*The new stadium is not a done deal, by any means, but if all goes well, D.C. United believes it could move into a new facility late in the 2011 season and definitely for the 2012 campaign.

*"This is a new day for D.C. United. We now see a new, permanent home for our club and our fans," DCU lead investor Victor MacFarlane said. "We want to be in Prince George's County."

*The new stadium proposal: about 24,000 seats at a cost of $195 million. There would be a stage at one end for concerts but it would be filled with seats for matches.

*DCU and county officials reiterated, over and over again, that the project would not be financed through the current tax structure. The club is committing 25 percent of the money.

*Five of the seven potential sites are near Metro stations, the other two are near major crossroads, according to DCU President Kevin Payne. Payne said he would like to begin negotiating a stadium naming-rights deal once the project is made official.

*The club plans to build headquarters and training facilities in the county.

*Maryland Coach Sasho Cirvoski said he would like to play one or two regular season matches per year at the new facility and also foresees the ACC tournament coming as well. A movement is underway to play the men's and women's College Cups on the same weekend at the same location, and a DCU stadium would be a strong candidate. Cirovski said he plans to unveil his recruiting class of 8 or 9 players next week.

*The Washington Freedom is likely to end up playing at the new facility. DCU officials project 60 events per year (MLS games, international matches, college games, concerts, cultural events, etc.).

*RFK Stadium is tentatively set to host a CONCACAF Gold Cup first-round doubleheader on July 8. A U.S. team visit is possible.

*The official visiting team hotel has been moved from D.C. to the county, at the new National Harbor complex in Oxon Hill, about 10 miles from RFK. Teams do, however, have the option of staying elsewhere.

*On the transportation issues for the established fan base, Payne said: "Our largest fan base is from Northern Virginia. ... We recognize that we may have to change our fan base a little bit. It's possible we'll have more fans now from places like Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, up into Balitmore. Perhaps fewer will be able to make it from places like Loudoun County. But our fans are very, very loyal. ... We expect those fans to come with us."

By Steve Goff  |  February 16, 2009; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , College Soccer , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greetings From Largo
Next: Wells Retires

Comments

As per the fan base... they won't have to change their fan base if they build near a metro. It would also ease traffic.

'Skins games are horrible because they are:
1. Not near a metro.
2. Traffic.
3. Not many entrances/exits.

DCU, just build near a metro station and there will be no complaints from NOVA. It's just that simple!

Posted by: pmtthree | February 16, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess we will see how loyal the fans really are.

Any comment from Payne or MacFarlane regarding a potential name change?

Posted by: rickinashburn | February 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If they build it, I will come.

Hey, I like that saying! Has anyone ever said that before?! Any trademark lawyers in SI land?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

First of all, will the stadium have the same design that they rolled out last year? Secondly, the stadium should not have a stadium. That is what Meriweather and Nissan Pavillion's are for. In the end, it is indeed great news for DC United.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 16, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

They won't change the name. Any speculation to that effect is stupid.

My fingers are crossed, but I'm not holding my breath. We've had this press conference before.

It is still exciting.

Posted by: TCompton | February 16, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Are people really still asking about the name change? How about this:

Until Goff reports that the name is changing, the team is and will be DC United from here forward.

For crying out loud.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 16, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not concerned with any name change because it will not happen. I am worried that this stadium may not be what we all expect it to be.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"We recognize that we may have to change our fan base a little bit."

That's a pretty depressing line. It might be true, but D.C. is known for some of the best fans in the league and the team should be saying all the right things to keep them around.

Posted by: kingchros | February 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The name change is a joke. It should be DC United period! I hope no one drops the ball building this stadium. We are so close to having a home. So close!

Posted by: hardcoco | February 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If they build it, I will come.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 16, 2009 1:44 PM

"Is this heaven?" "No...it's Prince Georges County."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This Loudoun County resident is in!

Posted by: BBride | February 16, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Yowza, $195 million! Used to be that MLS stadia cost a mere fraction of an NFL or MLB stadium. Obviously, the palaces built for teams in those leagues DO cost a lot more than $195 million, but to me this seems like a helluva lot of cash for a 24K seat stadium.

Posted by: DouginCMH | February 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"'Skins games are horrible because they are:
1. Not near a metro.
2. Traffic.
3. Not many entrances/exits..."

Google map/satellite shows FedEx field less than 1 mile from the Morgan Metro station. I have a gut feeling that any new DC statium will be at least that far from either Morgan or Largo Metro stops.

Is it that hard to walk less than 5-7 block from Morgan Metro to FedEx field?
If it is, I suspect the so-called convenience of being near a Metro stop will not work for DC fans.

Posted by: Granitza78 | February 16, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

here's hoping DCU gets their stadium.

Posted by: brain_skies | February 16, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

-----
This is confusing. Near Metro means walking distance near or driving distance near? If it's driving distance, that would suck. Please be near walking distance even if the club has commit something extra. Let's really hope ther will be no hiccups on the way until the graound breaks.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 16, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Goffer what happened at the end of the conference? Were they legitimate questions or people just trying a prove a point?

Posted by: mellon02 | February 16, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I meant stage, sorry for the confusion

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 16, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

From what has been said elsewhere, I think at least two or three of the sites are very, very close to Metro stops - possibly even contiguous. I believe some of the land under consideration is owned by Metro.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 16, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

All that's nice, but will the stands bounce? Will the stadium be expandable? What section will Salvatore call home?

I would like to see a mock of this stadium design.

Posted by: B_A_ | February 16, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The walk from Morgan Blvd Metro station exit to the gates of FedEx Field is long. Exactly a mile - down through the townhouse development on Summerfield then up through the parking lots. That's how I get to Redskins games - I don't mind it, but it's long by Metro-walkable standards.

If United build near Hill Road Park, then the walk will be much shorter. They could build a bit further south, then the walk might go up a bit. That said, I'd be very surprised if this stadium is not within a reasonable distance from a station.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"We recognize that we may have to change our fan base a little bit."

Why do I feel like I just got fired? And why am I not surprised at that remark from the same FO that decided to destroy team chemistry last year and play fantasy soccer instead.

And here for a while I thought soccer was the last sport in America where loyalty mattered. Is it too late to get my season ticket money back?

The handling of this has been awful. Couldn't they have at least tried to strike a new deal for poplar point when the other developer's plans fell through?

If some of the die hards on this site are upset, imagine how this is going to play with the rank and file fan in N VA.

Posted by: regularfan | February 16, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"24,000 seats"

Only 24,000? Wouldn't 27,000-30,000 allow for more expansion and growth among fans?

Posted by: redskinsux | February 16, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

This Loudoun County resident is in!

Posted by: BBride | February 16, 2009 2:01 PM

+1.

Posted by: Section117 | February 16, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Having the club become financially viable trumps the convenience factor for Northern Virginians. Sorry - Payne has made that abundantly clear. Bit of a gamble? Maybe - but he is banking on the loyalty of our Virginia based fans.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see the Freedom still want in and the College Cup news is interesting, but am I to understand that the practice and team facilities may not necessarily be located with the stadium?

Posted by: sitruc | February 16, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"We recognize that we may have to change our fan base a little bit."

Posted by: regularfan | February 16, 2009 2:15 PM

Get ready for a flood of negativity from most on here, who will call you names and say you are not a fan because you find the move to be a bad one. How dare you find something wrong with this move, sir! Yadayadayada.....

Posted by: Hoost | February 16, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Again - I offer the compromise - I will go - I will support the team - I will buy beer - I will get excited and buy shirts.

I will FOREVER HATE Maryland - it and New Jersey make me ill.

However, while I understand more than well about the stage's necessity to make the deal work financially - I can dislike it aesthetically.

Also - Rossetti Architects better not even CONSIDER making a bid on the design. Someone else out there has to have some manner to make this thing look as good as it deserves to be.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 16, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Why do I feel like I just got fired?
-regularfan
-----

I felt the exact same way. :-/

Posted by: bs2004 | February 16, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 16, 2009 2:26 PM

I think that MacFarlane/Payne/Chang start burning with envy when they look at the progress of Red Bull Arena. And I think that's a good thing. It will be the best American soccer stadium by a country mile (till ours, fingers crossed). 100% covered, seats completely surrounding the pitch - atmosphere fully contained.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I live in Loudoun County and I have mixed feelings. After all the backstabbing and lying we've gotten from Fenty and his administration I'm almost ready to celebrate leaving DC. It's almost like we get to give them a big old F U as we walk out the door, never to spend a dime in that guy's city again. But.....I'm also sad to leave because of all the obvious factors. It's farther for me. Not much farther, but it's already far so it certainly doesn't help, especially on week nights. I was a driver to RFK and I still will be in the future. I will probably now be faced with doing a lap around the beltway instead of using that very nice little back entrance into Lot 8 coming up 395. I'll still come to my fair share of games but I can definitely see how this affects the less dedicated. All that being said, it will be nice for the team to finally have full control over the stadium, make all the ancillary revenue and for us to finally have a place we can truly call our own. For that I am happy and I view this as a great step in United's history. Now lets make sure they use the new found income to build us a new dynasty that makes the late 90's pale in comparison. VAMOS UNITED!!!!!

Posted by: lawrenceterp | February 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer to attend matches in a mostly-full or sold out 24k stadium versus a 30k+plus stadium with too much breathing space. And just look at what's being discussed now...how many seats in the stadium. This is unreal!

Posted by: mbetka23 | February 16, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

That's because my seat is leather bound, and comes with it's own tap . . .

""but to me this seems like a helluva lot of cash for a 24K seat stadium.

Posted by: DouginCMH | February 16, 2009 2:03 PM ""

Posted by: delantero | February 16, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"PERHAPS, up to Baltimore?"

Posted by: Billtimore | February 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess Marc Fisher was right. There's just not enough events to justify building a stadium...

Posted by: CYork1 | February 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

For all those VA fans that feel slighted...why did no one in VA step up and offer to get DCU a stadium? *crickets chirping*

If you want DCU to compete and win, it needs a stadium so it can make money. If DCU were to wait until the retards (also know as DC elected officials) got their act together, it will never have a stadium. I mean, we are talking about a populace that repeatedly votes Marion Barry into office, (though he is the lone voice of support for DCU in the District, but what does that say...)! All political capital was spent on the giant turd called Nationals Park.

DCU needs to make something happen. The fact that the most successful team in MLS plays in a barnyard of a stadium is deplorable. DCU could not just sit and hope something good happens. Everyone would prefer DCU have a stadium downtown, but it was not going to happen in the foreseeable future, so the team had to go with Plan B. The way I see it, fans should be pissed at the DC government, not DCU. DCU did what it had to do because the DC government is incompetent.

Posted by: therealfootball | February 16, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see our stadium designed similar to the Allianz ArenA, which has lights on the outside, that can change colors, depending on who is playing at the stadium (Bayern Munich, TSV 1860 Munich, and the German National Team).

How sweet would that be for United? Here is an example.

Posted by: hokieunited | February 16, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I think Marc Fisher has been proven thoroughly wrong today. 60 events! 60 events a year not coming to Anacostia :-/

You think that the College Cup weekend wouldn't be a nice little bump to the economy in Southeast DC? How about a weekend of college lacrosse? MLS Cup? X-Games!? Even smaller events like the DCIAA Turkey Bowl.

But Marc Fisher sure does love telling poor, black Washingtonians (who wanted a stadium) what's best for them. Which I guess is a big, flat pile of nothing on Poplar Point.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

How sweet would that be for United? Here is an example.

Posted by: hokieunited | February 16, 2009 2:41 PM

Beautiful stadium, hokie - but it also cost around $500 million! We'll get something great - but it won't be a Herzog & de Meuron masterpiece.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Kev29, are you offering to take the X-Games off our (Galaxy, HDC) hands? Thanks!

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | February 16, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"We recognize that we may have to change our fan base a little bit." - Kevin Payne

I'm trying not to let this get to me, but something about it really makes my skin crawl. I don't know, I guess I just wouldn't have expected it from him. Ever since I was a kid he has always struck me as a guy that was team and fans over business. This doesn't seem like the regular Kevin Payne to me, somethings changed.

I understand this is a business, but I feel like my club (which has practically been a religion for me since I was 10) is really turning itself upside down. We could've stuck it out in DC. We could have figured something out. I know the economy's bad, I know Fenty hates us, and again I know this technically is a business, but we could have done better. I just can't get used to how much United is settling and I don't know if I ever will.

I'll go to the games but no matter how fancy the stadium is, or how many championships we win in it something will probably always linger in the back of my head.

I don't expect that quote to leave my mind for some time. It's very indicative of the new D.C. United... what a shame.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 16, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

There won't be a name change unless United is bought out by a beverage consortium hawking overly caffeinated fruit juice. And what are the odds of that happening? Oh wait...

Posted by: IamAM | February 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: therealfootball | February 16, 2009 2:39 PM

Because the majority of Virginia fans wanted the thing in The District as to not alienate any of the other parts of town. I'm not sure if I know one person from VA that would have preferred the stadium be placed in NOVA. That is why is this is a disappointment.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 16, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pittmancb | February 16, 2009 2:51 PM

Pie in the sky at this point. The Fenty administration decimated the chance for United to stay in DC - period - end of story. Poplar Point - dead. Staying at RFK - dead. Building on RFK - never alive. Niedermeyer - dead.

Live in the now.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like attracting foreign talent to a major city than a stadium in the suburbs...

Posted by: Reignking | February 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I'm sure there are some out there who selfishly would have had the park placed in Alexandria or Fairfax, but from my viewpoint they certainly are in the minority.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 16, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | February 16, 2009 2:55 PM

Thierry Henry will be the king of Largo!

Posted by: Hoost | February 16, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Time to create out own team:

FC United of DC. ;)

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | February 16, 2009 2:55 PM

Financially strong clubs attract major talent, not stadium locations. And almost every highly paid athlete on earth lives in the burbs - even in Europe.

You think guys like jumping over rats to get to the pitch at RFK?

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Why do I feel like I just got fired?
-regularfan
-----

I felt the exact same way. :-/

Posted by: bs2004 | February 16, 2009 2:26 PM

I don't think we NoVAians are being fired, I just think we're being challenged. If we call ourselves fans, would we not drive another 10-15 minutes to get to our own stadium? If we call ourselves fans and this PG Co. move is enough to cause us to not buy tickets anymore, then we're not true fans, in the business sense of the word.

You have to admit it, the owners want DCU to have fans because we buy tickets/merch/concessions/etc. not because we post on blogs and web sites and watch on TV. They appreciate the excitement we bring to the games and if they find more people on the east side of the beltway to do the same job, then we're expendable.

I appreciate that DCU appreciates us, but to expect them to continue losing money at RFK or wasting time waiting for a Poplar Point plan to work is unreasonable. I'm happy to drive a little longer to help DCU reach its goals (on the field and on the ledger books).[I guess I dated myself...who uses ledger books anymore?]

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 16, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@pittmancb-

That's rich. The selfless VA fanbase? Are you kidding? There are plenty of VA fans that would be thrilled to have a stadium out near Dulles. Many people, including MD fans, would prefer the team stay in DC, but we all have to get real.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | February 16, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Two questions -

1) Will the new place be in an area surrounding by bars / neighborhood set-up? That would be fun and make it a bit more worth the inconvenience.

2) Why 27k? I really think they should have gone for a few more, and hope expansion is in mind when built. I know the average attendance for DCU is below 27k, but I think 33k or so would make it better for the bigger matches. Nitpicking.

Posted by: ImThatGuy | February 16, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Time to create out own team:

FC United of DC. ;)

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 16, 2009 2:59 PM

Ha! Kind of a funny parallel though. Remember how controversial it was when American businessmen were buying English clubs? Riots in the streets! Not so much now, when those 3 clubs are first, second and third.

When United win cups in a new stadium of their own. I think we'll a reduction of crying in spilled milk.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

ImThayGuy: 1. Yes and no, will there be things within walking distance - maybe, depends on the exact locale. I think you can expect a big pub/bar built into the stadium (unless they're changing that idea from the Poplar Point idea).

2. It's actually rumored to be 24k now. 27k was Poplar Point.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

I don't suppose that anyone from the Freedom was at the press conference. Has anyone heard anything firsthand from Hendricks or anyone else associated with the Freedom lately? I have the feeling that by the time this stadium is built, the Freedom will be comfortably entrenched in an enlarged Soccerplex. And if DCU losing some Virginia-based fans by moving a few miles east will be a problem, just think of a move from Germantown to Largo. And if WPS doesn't survive and the Freedom reverts to semipro status, they will have even less use for a venue that is any larger than what they've got now.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Two questions -

Posted by: ImThatGuy | February 16, 2009 3:06 PM

Wild speculation on my part: 24K will be entirely too big. Why would a stadium in PG County draw more than what RFK gets now (which is a location central to everyone, including what Payne calls their "largest fan base")? Because its a new stadium?

Posted by: Hoost | February 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Freedom was represented.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Live in the now.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 2:55 PM

Does Adrian Fenty hold a permanent position as DC's Mayor? No, whether it's this election or the next Fenty will be out and someone else will step in. RFK is even more of an option now since United successfully negotiated a more lucrative lease on the stadium for the upcoming seasons. We could now much more easily stay at RFK for the foreseeable future than we could a year ago. If we did so then I refuse to believe that we wouldn't be able to work out a deal with the district for a new stadium. Would this be closer to 5 years? Yes, but at least United would eventually get the stadium it's worked for.

Poplar Point needs a developer. Who better than Victor MacFarlane and DC United? In the coming months United could build public support and all but force Fenty into awarding the team the stadium. Sure we might have to pay more but it could happen. If we chose to hang around DC long enough the city eventually would have to crack and award us a spot. It seems to me that this was the council's thinking anyway after reading their comments. Sure we're not getting respect, but at least their remarks seem as if they thought that we one day would still get a stadium.

This is the equivalent to a marathon runner stopping with 5 miles left in the race. Sure he's not there yet, but finishing has much more dignity.

Because of the way we're going about it now, it seems as if we are more willingly leaving than DC is forcing us out. We are essentially quitting rather than loosing. If push came to shove Fenty would never willingly kick United out. There's too much bad press in it. The city lost the Redskins, it never would do it again, not even to United.

Right now Fenty looks pretty good to the uneducated reader. If our owners had some balls they'd call his bluff and continue with Poplar Point.

Have some foresight! This thing wasn't over yet. It may have been with Fenty, but he isn't DC dictator he's just a mayor.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 16, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm from NOVA and am disappointed...only because I wanted the team to stay in the District...all DC teams should be in the District in my opinion and I'm sad that its come to this...can't blame DC United...they tried...this is on Fenty's shoulders...

Posted by: BarcayDCUnited | February 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | February 16, 2009 3:02 PM

Yeah I'm sure you've got you're finger on the pulse of the NOVA fanbase from way up there in Baltimore Eric. Fact of the matter is, you have no room to judge since you're state got (or is getting) the team.

... and Dulles??? What planet are you living on? No one thought that was a good idea.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 16, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Re the stage, don't forget we need a section of the stands that bounces up and down when you jump on it. That can be the section that rolls over the stage!

Posted by: dccal | February 16, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Attendance at DCU games has averaged slightly under 20K in recent years, and probably will start out at least as high in a new stadium, for a number of reasons. If you build a 24,000-seat stadium and annual growth in attendance averages as little as two percent, you will be approaching capacity in less than a decade. (And if you don't believe there will be growth, why bother?) I, too, hope that there will be a plan to expand to 27K-30K if needed, and that the need to expand does materialize.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 16, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Any SSS on any site on or near RFK (e.g, Lot 8)would not be under DCUnited's control. The new lease at RFK just eases the pain a bit, but it's not enough to make the team viable. Doug Hicks told me today, after the PC, that people have to realize that the competition isn't, say RFK or Poplar Point against PG County, but it's PG County against moving the team totally out of the area if that's what it takes to find a stadium site that's a moneymaker for the team. So if the commute to PG county is long, it still beats St. Louis!

Posted by: b18bolo | February 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I am offically excited. NCAA/ACC tournaments are great to attend and will be great to have here.
DCU...Here is the perfect stadium for us.
DBS Stadion in Alkmaar, Netherlands. Home of AZ Alkmaar. a bit small at 17,000 but seats could be added. I have seen this stadium first hand and it is really cool.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 16, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

pittmancb -- yes, I suppose it's *possible* (but only possible, not probable) that if DC had stuck it out, they might one day have been able to build in DC, and possibly even at Poplar Point. In the meantime, the team is losing millions a year -- not one season has this team ever been in the black. How many more years of red ink in the millions should they be willing to accept? How many millions would you have been willing to contribute to enable the team to stay in D.C. for an arbitrarily long period of time?

People are awfully free with other people's money.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 16, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

As a lifelong resident of the DC area who has split his time equally between both states, I must say I am sick and tired of this MD/VA garbage. Both states have their plusses and minusses as does any.
As for the commute, I currently live in MD and attend GMU games because I am a fan of the Patriots. If you are a fan then you will attend. Otherwise, you were never that dedicated in the first place.
As for the critics of DCU. SHUT UP! DCU showed plenty of patience with the losers downtown as this process has taken years already. Fenty stabbed them in the back after promising to work with them as Williams was. There is only so long any entrepreneur is willing lose millions on an annual basis. Suggesting they deal with it for another 5-10 years while the losers get their act together is asinine.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 16, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Metzler,

Amen. Thank you for showing some reason on this blog.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 16, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I will FOREVER HATE Maryland - it and New Jersey make me ill.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 16, 2009 2:26 PM
---------------------------------------------

Funny -- I grew up in the New York suburbs (Westchester County), and have always had my issues with much of Northern New Jersey -- especially in comparison to my beloved Westchester. While no comparisons are exact, I've always thought that Maryland was more like the NY suburbs (character, history, logically developed, and without the soulless rwos of oversized look-alike suburban McMansions of NJ and NoVA). Northern Virginia was the nouveau riche area that sprung up almost overnight, with huge suburban tracts too far from any decent public transportation, where places are more likely defined by their highway and exit #, than any sense of character or place, and where the roads are impossible to understand (not to mention the service roads that operate like NJ's U-turn roundabouts).

Posted by: fischy | February 16, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's any chance DCU ever gets a stadium at RFK. Fenty and the DCSEC prefer to bring the Redskins back to the RFK site, build a dome stadium and hopefully bring the Super Bowl to DC.

Posted by: MayorForLife | February 16, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

----
I'd place a big money bet on it adding quite a bit more than 10-15 minutes onto the current commute.

I'm a NoVa fan and I'll continue to go but I'm going to be much more realistic about how much time it will take to get there. Right now I can be at RFK in 20 minutes or less. In my mind, I'm counting on at least a 40 minute commute for the new stadium.

Yes, it's better for DCU. But, let's not sugar coat reality.

Posted by: bs2004 | February 16, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Allianz arena looks nice, but the only colors we need are Black and Red.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the number of people who think this is a done deal and the stadium is 100%.

There's a long, long way to go.

Personally, I think the club is shortsighted in going to PG. Yes, they are losing money at RFK, but isn't this a single entity league? If the overall league is breaking even, then staying in DC for the long term should still be possible so long as the other owners can help foot the losses here . .

Posted by: delantero | February 16, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

And Maryland, with a long history of taking DC sports teams only to see those same DC teams wanting to move back to DC(current Redskins) or have moved back to the District (Caps/Wizards).

Remember LANDOVER?! How great was it there? FedEx is a joke too, a no man's land which is why Snyder wants the team here in DC again . .

Posted by: delantero | February 16, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

It's single entity, but not a welfare league. If the overall league is making money, and DC isn't, then hello St. Louis United.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

delantero,

MLS has made no secret of their disappointment with the DC government. They aren't anymore willing to lose money than the owners are. Losing money is not an option people. Starting blaming the real villians here. Write the mayor and the council and let them know how pissed you are at them.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 16, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why everyone is saying 10-15 minutes additional from VA (or western MD burbs - where btw the $$ is in MD). That is simply crazy talk.

Folks are upset becuase the commute to games will be significantly longer for the majority of the fan base. From my old place in OLD TOWN, (snickering at "fischy" here - sense of place and history in WESTCHESTER?!?! HA HA) the commute is easily 30 minutes longer unless you are driving at 2am.

I think that folks are also upset becuase we are betting that the stadium will not be built within reason to a metro (Fed Ex is not really metro friendly).

Both of these factors could make the games not as enjoyable! Of course, getting back to winning would easily clear that up!

Red Bulls stink!

Posted by: kramva | February 16, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hoost:

The reason you guys are encountering a "flood of negativity" is because the vast majority of posts voicing your concern come off as childish and selfish. I'm not saying you are childish and selfish, but most of the things I've read from angry VA fans boil down to "I want the stadium to work for me above all others, and anything that is not perfect for me is 100% unacceptable". It's as much about presentation as anything else.

That, and the commute time-based arguments (a large part of the NoVA fan's problem, it seems) are pretty weak. If the stadium isn't walkable to the Metro, I'll join you guys in being upset. As of now, though, I strongly doubt MacFarlane (who knows more about real estate development than any of us) and Payne (who knows more about running a successful and popular soccer team than any of us) are looking to build away from the Metro. They know very well that cutting public transportation out of the equation has severely damaged attendances elsewhere in the league.

DrBeaker:

I sincerely hope your attitude is much more prevalent than the "The stadium isn't across the street from me, so I'm staying home to complain online" approach. That is exactly how I would look at it if the stadium had been built in Virginia.

pittmancb:

5 years, you say.

You're playing with MacFarlane/Chang's millions. You want DC United to give up $50 million over 5 years on the chance (emphasis on chance) that the city government will suddenly be willing to build without putting up roadblocks over and over again? I mean, if you've got millions that you can contribute to staunch the bleeding, feel free.

You chose a marathon as an analogy. My choice would be Sisyphus and his rock in Hades. You don't get to be as wealthy and successful as the team's owners are by chasing the impossible at 8 digits a year.

Also, the idea that only VA fans can question your opinions or logic is absurd. If you don't want to hear the opinions of non-Virginian fans, going online to a place where they show up is probably not a good idea.

***

b18bolo's discussion with Doug Hicks cuts to the point of the matter. It boggles my mind that people are complaining about a move that keeps the team from moving to another city that, I can assure you, is not Metro accessible.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 16, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

pittmancb,

"No, I'll live in the future. Everyone on here citing things like "The Fenty administration decimated the chance for United to stay in DC", or "Staying at RFK - dead." is speaking without any foresight whatsoever."

---------------

The problem with "living in the future" is that it enables you to just make it up. And that's what you're doing.

Also, you should evaluate your statements about MD and "loyalty" and "soul" more carefully. I am only a temporary renter in MD due to economic necessity until I return to the place I own in DC, but you're coming real, real close to offending even me, so I can only imagine how your comments read to people who were born and raised here.

Posted by: stancollins | February 16, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I think the Addison Road area makes sense as a viable option. Seems to be a nice patch open just a ways from that Metro stop.

Its about half a mile walk, so something very similar to what we Metro users are already used to.

Posted by: hokieunited | February 16, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If the concessions improve, we will all forget the stadiums moved to Maryland.

Posted by: dndlee | February 16, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

My gripe won't be with the added travel or location, it'll be the price hike on tickets that we can expect. A smaller (24,000) stadium forces up demand for season tickets. But I'll get over it.

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 16, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE PLEASE Do not put one of those glaring stages in the facility. I hope it looks just like the projected facility at Poplar Point!

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | February 16, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

As mentioned before this is not a done deal. We are exactly where we were with Poplar Point three years ago. Pretty soon the Fenty promise quotes will be replaced by a stadium promise from some MD politician.

My bet is a new team in St. Louis will be playing in a new stadium before United moves out of RFK...or maybe we will be the team playing in St. Louis if we can't build a stadium.

Posted by: Southeasterner | February 16, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

My visit to FedEX Field for the Chelsea match got me home at 1230 AM via METRO. Never again I said. A mid-week match v. the Rapids? Don't Think So. Maybe they'll have a package for day games.

I think 24,000 seats in PG will be plenty. The Wizzards/Capitals move to town & the Redskins apparent interest in returning is telling. McFarlane is brilliant, but even he can't make a wasteland "urban".

It also concerns me that Washington DC may be the only capital city in the world without a soccer team.

Posted by: SWTrevor | February 16, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Capital Center, not Metro accessible. FedEx Field, barely Metro accessible. Both rely/relied on parking, thus a huge amount of traffic. Metro not only makes things easier for publicly transporting fans, but also relieves congestion for drivers.

Please don't compare this proposed stadium to others in Landover - at least till the final plans are set.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 16, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

As long as I can ride my phelps brand equipped bong bike to the stadium and grill some meat on my human powered George Forman grill I'm all good...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

the fact is since dc united started fans from NOVA have been pulling the freight and been the majority of what is widely considered the best fan base in MLS. We just got hosed. Good luck with "changing" your fan base kevin payne. Let us know how that works out for you.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 16, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Western Loudoun County is one hour and forty five minutes from everywhere in the metro area, so what's the big deal.

I'm there, as is my wife.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: restonhoops | February
16, 2009 8:57 PM

OK, now I'm really getting pissed off. I know it is not everyone fron NOVA but comments like this one just infuriate me.
Restonhoops, oh excuse me I mean Restonflybynightfan, have you been paying attention the last five years? DCU didn't hose you. The DC government did. However, if you were anything close to a knowledgeable fan I wouldn't need to tell you that. Good riddance, real black and red fans don't want you around.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 16, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm there, as is my wife.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 16, 2009 9:14 PM

I look forward to seeing you there!
We can do this.

Posted by: Towson_Tiger | February 16, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

My daughter and I were watching Channel 5 when they teased the story. Her first comment: "No. They can't move!". The second: "Will they make the new stadium like RFK where the seats bounce?" I was surprised to see others make similar comments.

As far as getting to PG County, I hope whatever location they chose has easy access to a major thoroughfare. Despite all of its flaws, getting to RFK is very easy.

Posted by: Chewie- | February 16, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Vamos PG United!!!

Posted by: zizou1972 | February 16, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

So I've always wondered who the team plants on this blog are. Getting some ideas.

Posted by: regularfan | February 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey Crofton - I'm glad you're the super fan who gets decide who the real fans are. Again the facts are the facts. Majority of the people filling the seats for over 10 years come from NOVA. DC United to some extent turned their back on the majority of their fans. Even Kevin Payne knows it as he says they will have to "change" their fan base. Will people from NOVA still go to games yes. Will the number of people going to games and the frequency drop. With a doubt yes. I hope the state of MD turns this down.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 17, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

One more thing. For those of you who decide to debate through name calling, you should know that I have been a full season ticket holder since 97.

Above I and others were reacting to the sheer cynicism of Payne's remarks. As any true fan would know, being a fan means you have formed a bond of loyalty and devotion to the club. Payne's remark shows an utter lack of any return sense of caring for the fans. I understand that this is a business, but it is a business that will go bust without fans, and Payne's evident belief that we are fungible commodities is, at the very least, callous.

Nor is my concern abstract. The move will work hardship on me as a fan. I have teenage children and they have things they want to do. Once the roundtrip starts taking longer than the game, it is going to be hard to interest them. And it will be hard for me to go without family. What you are hearing here is not the "whining" of a fair weather fan, but the lament of a fan left behind. If that is "asinine" so be it.

Posted by: regularfan | February 17, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Great coverage of the Terps Goff, You're the MAN

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 17, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but feel disappointed. For me, Poplar Point was Plan A and anywhere else in MLS was Plan B. Anywhere beyond the Beltway was Plan C. I just hope that the new stadium is located within walking distance of or a Metro connection or two away from the terminus station of the proposed Purple Line.

P.G. United!

Posted by: Stevenho | February 17, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the selfish need to make this a moral issue.

It's not selfish to point out that this is "settling," and it's a pain for some folks--even to point out that some folks are likely not to come, or as much. And that DC United will have to work at establishing new fan bases. That's all true.

But it is selfish to need the team to be in some state of moral turpitude because of it--like they did it to betray you personally. It's selfish to twist a quote to mean something it doesn't mean. It's selfish to demean the contributions of others to aggrandize yourself. And it's selfish to demean other neighborhoods out of your sense of wounded pride.

A lot of the people seeking to shame DC United on this clearly don't even have a frame of reference for that emotion.

Posted by: stancollins | February 17, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

In the end, a bunch of us post here because we love this team, and we even choose this team over our other, cherished, local teams. I lived in Reston and Vienna. Took me at least an hour total to RFK stands in Metro.
Please let it be near Metro! Most loyal NOVA fans will be glad to go to a soccer shrine we can all call our own. I'll hike down from current location, the Baltimore burbs, no matter what Metro station!
(Depending on final location, some who take 395 into DC can continue using 395 to Southeast Freeway. Instead of Lot 8, you take the Pennsylvania Ave exit to wherever helpful, if better than beltway).

Posted by: DCU98_BestEver | February 18, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I really hope this happens. Remember, there are fans who don't live in VA and who find it tough getting to RFK frequently. I live in AA County and would definitely attend more games if they move to PG. To see the Freedom may play there as well is another bonus. Gaithersburg is basically out of the question for me. Sure some fans may be lost, but I think DCU and the Freedom will draw plenty to replace them. Don't direct anger at DCU over this, direct it at the government nimrods in DC/MD/VA who won't build out some decent public transportation so everyone in the region can get around easily.

Posted by: baddabing1 | February 18, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse