Dempsey Scores for Fulham

USA midfielder Clint Dempsey scores the equalizer on a 77th-minute header inside the six-yard box and then Bobby Zamora puts Fulham ahead three minutes later for a 2-1 victory over Championship side Swansea City in an FA Cup fifth-round replay at Craven Cottage. The Cottagers will face Manchester United in the quarterfinals March 7.

By Steve Goff  |  February 24, 2009; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  England , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Making a List
Next: Galaxy Moves

Comments

I rescind the doubts I posted a couple of months ago about Dempsey. He seems to be showing up each (Fulham) game and playing hard.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

DCU Stadium Proposal FAQ

What similar stadiums around the world will the proposed new stadium look like?

* While we plan to design a stadium, which draws inspiration from the traditions of European and South American soccer, we also want to be modern and American. So, while we intend an iconic look, we may not “look like” any specific stadium. Some very different stadia, which we admire, include the Phillips Arena in Eindhoven, the Emirates Stadium in London, the BayArena in Leverkusen, the VW Arena in Wolfsburg, and the new stadium in Valencia.
* The nearly completed Red Bull stadium in Harrison, NJ uses a model that connects transit, retail and restaurants and a stadium in an urban setting.

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Off topic: This is not my cup of tea, but here's a link to the runway event of the year. Sadly, Heather Mitts is not participating - must be a contract thing with Under Armor (WPS kits are Puma)

Heather is here, and dig the Schoolhouse Rock remix. Verb! That's what's happening.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 5:24 PM

Now if he'd only stop disappearing in WCQs....;-)
While some of the Americans (not) playing abroad continue to underwhelm, Dempsey keeps plugging away. I knew you'd come around I-270! Kudos for giving credit to the man:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

DEUCE!

Posted by: Modibo | February 24, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I did notice the parenthesis... he wasn't the hottest vs MEX, but we've got plenty of games ahead to bring the ruckus!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a stupid contract, when UA isn't even making soccer shoes... Last photos I saw of Mitts playing her sport she was rocking Pumas!!!? WTF?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Um...that was the point of the ad?

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a contract attorney but, this isn't a court. Most likely she is under an exclusive clothing contract with UA which prevents her from advertising other brands, including their "fashion" events. The important question is: why does everyone else in that ad get to run outdoors and Heather is on a treadmill?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sorry, thought you meant that UA wasn't making shoes...

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Um...that was the point of the ad?

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 5:52 PM
==============

Buy shoes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think Dempsey has a chance of transfering to a better EPL club this summer or is he still getting no respect over there like most American players?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 24, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 24, 2009 6:17 PM

A better EPL club? Fulham is sitting in 8th spot in one of the most highly regarded leagues in the world. I'm not sure who you see him replacing on the pitch for Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal. Most likely he would be stuck on the bench and get about 0 minutes of playing time except for the matches against West Brom.

Within a period of 14 days he will play 180 minutes against Man U, 90 against Arsenal and also record some time against teams like West Brom, Swansea and Hull City. Fulham was good for McBride and has been great for Dempsey.

I think more Americans need to join mid-tier teams when they go abroad.

Posted by: Southeasterner | February 24, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

UA isn't making soccer shoes. Mitts wear Pumas on the pitch. She used to rock Nike. Maybe UA is trying to develop REAL football shoes, but as of right now they're just making trail runners, joggers, baseball, and throwball cleats...
But hey, I saw a couple Redskins rocking what looked like nike soccer boots this last season. Carlos "can't cover the corners" Rogers looked guilty;-) Smoot?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse