Friday Kickaround

*Join me later for reports from the RFK Stadium training grounds, where D.C. United will resume workouts after a week in Puerto Rico. We should learn more about the goalkeeping situation, developmental signings and overall roster, which must be finalized by Monday.

*The Washington Freedom signed four more players, three of whom had been with the club in the W-League. Still awaiting final details of RFK doubleheaders with D.C. United. Though the clubs have three intersecting gamedays, the one in August might not be feasible for a doubleheader and the Freedom could end up moving a different home date to match up with a United game.

*The Kansas City Wizards settle for a 1-1 tie with Chivas Guadalajara in Mexico.

*Americans abroad today:
In Germany, D Heath Pearce and Hansa Rostock host Ahlen

*Soccer on TV:
Netherlands, PSV-Heerenveen 2:30 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Mexico, UAG-Morelia 9 p.m. Telefutura
Australian final, Melbourne-Adelaide 2:30 a.m. (Sat.) Fox Soccer Channel

*Introducing the new soccer page on washingtonpost.com, which combines the Insider, United, MLS, Freedom, USA and international news into one tidy package. Bookmarks are strongly encouraged.

*In this glum period for American newspapers, some good news on the local front: The Post won a rare Triple Crown for finishing in the top 10 of major dailies in sports categories for overall section, Sunday section and special section. The Boston Globe was the only other three-section winner among big papers. Congrats to sports editor Emilio "Barca" Garcia-Ruiz and the rest of my colleagues.

By Steve Goff  |  February 27, 2009; 7:47 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Island Magic
Next: Access to Freedom

Comments

I read the sports pages from papers all over the US. The Post's is the BEST, hands down. Congratulations to all, including and especially Senor Goff.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 27, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

23 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Great news for the Post's sports reporters - well deserved.
Saw this tidbit - that the NBA is borrowing up to 175M to assist teams who may have financial struggles - an wondered if MLS is making any such plans.

Posted by: dsheon1 | February 27, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see recognition of Post excellence by a wider audience than those who already knew -- us readers.

Nice soccer compilation section. Will Freedom news also be part of that or will they have their own link to stories housed elsewhere, similar to that of the Mystics?

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 27, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS TO POST SPORTS WRITERS AND SPECIALLY MR. GOFF!!!
Second, I have always wanted to ask if there is any chance that you would have a DC United Insider as opposed to Soccer Insider. Seeing all the other DC sport teams have their own insider blog United is the only major club left in the dark. Even though Goff covers beautiful game in general he does emphasize more on United. On that scale I thought it's reasonable to name DC United Insider. But his topic is much better. Bravo for coming up with a new section and the name. cheers!

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 27, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

ahhh.....too early and rush....But this topic is much better - i meant to say. also, their own meaning post has blogs for each team except united

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 27, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Simply put: DC United Insider = Soccer Insider

Or, to elaborate:

Soccer Insider = DC United Insider on steroids. The good kind.

Posted by: 22206no1 | February 27, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

congrats to you and your collegues.

that should help get some more coverage with that new site maybe...

all in all, aslong as in some way or form you can continue to give us MLS news, I'm a happy fan.

Posted by: Ben7LA | February 27, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Great work Goffinho!

Posted by: strago | February 27, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Updated thread to show that Freedom will be part of the new-look soccer page

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 27, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

How come they didn't call the new soccer page as Goff's Corner?

Posted by: Verrazzano | February 27, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Steve and Company! Excited to hear some more United news this afternoon.
I'll post this link again:
It's a Q&A with good old KP... He'll be answering your questions at 4 pm today. Anyone seconding my question about some sanctioned bicycle parking at RFK gets a PBR from me in lot 8 this summer;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

That must've been a tired Chivas team after their Liberatadores match this week...

Posted by: Reignking | February 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Well done, now if you could do something about the Post's financial losses . . .

I will say that I would consider paying for the Insider if it comes to keeping the Post afloat!

Posted by: delantero | February 27, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Note to subscriptions dept.

delantero's got me covered....

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The delantero stimulus package! I'm in!

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 27, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

There was a thread last night on Daily Kos about top sports rivalries. Usual suspects listed int he main piece -- Yankees-Red Sox, Redskins-Cowboys, Dodgers-Giants, Michigan-OSU, etc.

My comment: Top rivalry is River Plate-Boca Jr.s, natch. Threw in close contenders (the Milan derby, Barca-Real Madrid, and lately ManU-Chelsea, plus int'ls Argentina-Brazil, Italy-France, Italy, Brazil. I forgot to add in USA-Mex.) Question is which is DCU's top rival? Revs, Bulls, or Fire?

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

nice...more goffee with my coffee! we are lucky to have you reporting for us. and yes, I pay attention to and click on the ads from time to time.

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | February 27, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey fischy, no love for the Old Firm derby?

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: you asked about open sessions at the Freedom's training camp. Read the press release that Steve referred to for more info.

I like how the photo caption indicates that Sarah Huffman is on the left. The young woman, the one in the jersey. No, not the older guy holding a tape recorder.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I thought DC's top rival is Harrisburg :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Steinbog's front-page story on the Caps yesterday? Several grafs into the story, we read this: "And as the Capitals have taken off, the city's other pro franchises have struggled." It then goes on to mention a number of other local teams, but omits any mention of DCU. I would have expected better from Steinbog.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 27, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

So when does the insider go "mobile" - iPhone enablement needed asap!

Posted by: LookingDangerous | February 27, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | February 27, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Seriously -- which team do you guys think of as DCU's biggest rivalry? Revs because of the great playoff games? The Fire, for the same reasons + that delicious moment when Blanco was sent to the showers in Germantown? The Red Bulls, because of the proximity? Some other team?

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

according to THE MLS it's KC....

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 27, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? I'm not prone to that kind of thinking, but I'll eliminate NY because, really, what have they ever won? Although New England has eliminated us from the playoffs, they are pitiable in having won only one USOC and the SuperLiga (which awarded the winning players 20%-off coupons at Bed Bath & Beyond). Matches against the Fire seem to be nastier, so I'll go with Chicago - final answer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I-270.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 27, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I believe a certain Washington Post sportswriter/bogger is trying not to jinx a certain DC sports team by omitting deadtree mentions of said team.

...Or I'm sleepy.