Gomez Trade Done

D.C. United sends Honduran midfielder Ivan Guerrero, a designated player slot and a 2010 second-round draft pick to the Colorado Rapids for 2006 MLS most valuable player Christian Gomez. The Rapids will be responsible for a portion of Gomez's salary, estimated at just under $400,000 this season.

Gomez will likely join the club in Washington later this week and begin training Friday.

UPDATE: United also received the rights to goalkeeper Mike Graczyk, who was drafted by the Rapids in 2007 and spent last year in the league's goalie pool, and an international roster slot.

"I am extremely happy to return to D.C. United, as is my family," Gomez said in a prepared statement. "I realize how important the fans are to the club and what their expectations are and I hope to make them happy."

By Steve Goff  |  February 9, 2009; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA, DCU, SJ and Toronto
Next: United News and Notes

Comments

NO F-IN' WAY! Why in the world do we give away one of our better players, a DP slot AND a pick! I want my money back!

Posted by: fedssocr | February 9, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

As per behind the badge:
Christian Gomez is, once again, a member of D.C. United.

The Argentine midfielder was officially acquired today from the Colorado Rapids, along 23-year old goalkeeper Mike Graczyk and a foreign roster spot. In exchange, United sent Colorado Ivan Guerrero, its second Designated Player roster spot, and a 2010 SuperDraft second round pick and salary cap considerations.

Posted by: benmadden2 | February 9, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr:
1) because we have more depth at Guerrero's position than at Gomez's, and because you can't get something for nothing.
2) because if you're not going to use it, a DP slot isn't worth much.
3) because MLS draft picks are worth only slightly more than monopoly money.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 9, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Terrible move, DCU gives up the their best two way player, the DP slot which could have been used to sign a young international or returning USNAT player for a guy who showed nothing last year.

Posted by: integramo7 | February 9, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

DCU just got bent over and used. I mean, I like Gomez and all, but jeez!

Posted by: entropy13 | February 9, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

agreed, bad move.

Posted by: nico78 | February 9, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, DCU overpaid just a weeee bit. Here's hoping Christian stays healthy the whole season and has the fire in him to prove not just to DCU but also to Colorado that he's worth it.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 9, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

BAD F'ING MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 9, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

This trade seems incredibly unbalanced. Sure, we wanted Gomez back, but this deal is not the right one. We're giving out much more than we're getting. This might feel like a boost to Gomez -- that DCU really wants him, but the deal is one-sided. We're freeing up some cap room, losing Guerrero and Gallardo, and Roger -- not to mention that Colorado is taking on some (how much) of Gomez' salary. Is there some indication that DCU is planning to do something with that open cap space?

Also wondering why behindthebadge implies that DCU is sending Colorado "salary cap considerations". It sounds as if the deal is working the other way, no? We need more details....

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

And we get ANOTHER GK????? WTF. Are we just going to have a roster with 10 GKs on it plus Gomez, Moreno, Fred and Emilio?

Posted by: fedssocr | February 9, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's a bit much to give up for a player that has not seen much playing time since last summer.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 9, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

We just got burned, Johnny Walker.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | February 9, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, welcome back Gomito.

Damn, sorry to see Guerrero go -- he was a class act and a good fit for DCU.

What's with Mike Graczyk? Did I read that right? We get another backup keeper?

Posted by: jealousmuse | February 9, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

In addition to Gomez, BTB is reporting that United also gets:

1. 23-year old goalkeeper Mike Graczyk
2. An international roster spot, and
3. Salary cap considerations.

I haven't been paying attention to our International Roster spots... what are we at now?

Posted by: TCompton | February 9, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I love Gomez, but at that price?
He better turn back time and produce.
He should report in healthy condition since he sat on the bench all year.

Posted by: ussccr | February 9, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I like this move. We have plenty of depth wherever we would have used Guerrero (left mid, outside back). We obviously aren't going to spend the money to bring in another dp, so why keep the spot? DCU lose money everyday. It makes no sense for them to overpay for a dp that may not make an impact. And 2nd round draft pick? Pleeeeaaase...that's nothing.

Gomez is a great fit at United. The club is home for him. He can still play too. Bringing him in is an instant upgrade for our attack, and we don't even have to pay his full salary.

Posted by: davethelad | February 9, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Horrible move. Guerrero was too much to give up, even by himself - and here I was thinking I didn't want to have to give up Vide or Burch and the DP spot - I never considered they would give up Guerrero.

Wow, I cannot defend this move at all - unless they are paying $395,000 of Gomez' salary. And maybe not even then.

And a draft pick?

I really wish DC's FO had not felt so desperate - I didn't. They must have a killer left winger about to sign, or this may be the dumbest thing they have ever done.

On the good side, welcome back Christian. On the bad side, we have no one to support you on the wings, good luck .........

Posted by: dcufan | February 9, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If he stays healthy most of the year its a good move. If he doesn't its not... that's the gamble.

Posted by: jake77 | February 9, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

It might be done in minding the short term goals of trying to win it all this season coming up. We have a goalie, outside backs, forwards(with depth), possibly getting ben back soon, enough wingers, still lacking a center back - maybe a 3-5-2. Who knows but its better then no show Gallardo, No ball handler in Peralta and absent minded Gonzalo.

Hoping we get a solid defender..calling on
Jim Curtin. Trade baby, trade...

Posted by: godpere | February 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It's just a hard deal to figure. I realize we didn't have Gomez under contract at the time, but all we got for him was the 1st-round pick and the DP. Now, we get him back for a 2nd round pick, the DP slot and a goalie who probably won't make the roster. Besides that we have to throw in Ivan Guerrero? Sounds like this worked out pretty well for the Rapids, in the end.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

DCU is going to be the strongest team -- during those pesky FIFA dates. No one will get called up!

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

2 DPs in MLS is suicide--you won't win with such a thin roster.

Ultimately the deal between DC and Colorado turned into this:

Colorado got:
Guerrero
Next year's 2nd round pick

DC got:
Gomez at a lower salary (and older)
A backup keeper fighting for a roster spot
Chris Pontius

I think that's it in total (can't remember if DC or Colorado traded money last year.) So the winner of the trade likely turns on two variables--does Pontius become a useful player and who has a better year, Gomez or Guerrero.

Oh, and how much of Gomez's salary Colorado is paying.

Posted by: FCMorton | February 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't mind the DP part -- we weren't going to use it anyway, it seems. I do mind, however, the Guerrero part.

Posted by: iammrben1 | February 9, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow genius move, trading away the only decent player the front office acquired last season for a second go round of
Slomez. It feels like everything that was done last year has been undone this pre-season. Next I'd expect we trade Emilio and the other DP slot to Houston for Boswell.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | February 9, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I would have never thought Guerrero would be part of this transaction. I'm at a loss for words....

Posted by: tmcneil2 | February 9, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope somebody knows something that SG and the rest of us don't, cuz I agree with the crowd, this sounds stupid.

Posted by: glfrazier | February 9, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with getting rid of the extra DP. The DP isn't worth squat unless (1) he is a huge name that will sell thousands of tickets (per match) and tens of thousands of jerseys and (2) the team has a strong supporting cast. Another Beckham-like player to fit scenario 1 is unlikely. In scenario 2, having 2 DPs is an 800K hit on the salary cap, which lessens the ability to have strong supporting players.

Whether or not the deal is good depends on how much of CG's salary will be paid by Colorado.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

as it looks now, DC got hosed

Posted by: teo_68 | February 9, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

sigh....Sigh....SIGH.

Posted by: strago | February 9, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Every day, it is more and more like DCU 2007.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. I'm one of the people out there that was looking forward to having Gomez back - I think he is going to have a great year here. He'll be motivated and is used to playing with most of the players.

But even I think we overpaid for him.

Someone want to tell me who is going to play left wing for us? And if you say Burch, who is going to play left back?

Posted by: isaac101 | February 9, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Something to consider with Guerrero. How much time was he going to miss this coming year due to World Cup Qualifiers and related warm-ups. That probably was a factor in their willingness to let him go.

It also frees up a spot for Santino in the starting line up. Fred moves back to the left and Tino is on the right.

Posted by: QuietSide | February 9, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

So ya, here's your startin' line-up:

emilio moreno
fred - gomez - quaranta
simms
burch - janicki - mctavish - namoff
crayton

Though I like the guy, it's not a huge loss, since Fred, Gomez, and Q would be starting over Guererro anyway. At most, he would have been fighting Burch and Wallace as the starting LB.

Posted by: swwj | February 9, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

When did Thomas Rongen become our Owner/General Manager/Head Coach?

This trade would only be possible in a fantasy land, and that is exactly where the front office/owners will want to go once we tank again this season.

There are no more excuses for them. PLAY up or get out.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | February 9, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I like this. I was okay with Gomez coming back but I am not okay with giving up Guerrero as part of the deal.

Posted by: mmok1 | February 9, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

As a season ticket holder I am not impressed. I like Gomez and I thought bringing him back made sense until I saw the deal. Guerrero was a bright spot during a dismal season. He was a hard working player who left it all on the field, every game! Gomez had better have the season of his career or this may be remembered as one of the worst deals ever.

Posted by: DCU99fan | February 9, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Every day, it is more and more like DCU 2007.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 5:32 PM
----------------------------------------------

That's definitely the most encouraging or optimistic comment of the day. DCU 2007 were one of the most, if not the most dominating team in MLS history, despite an early exit due on account of injuries to the only 2 players the team had who could play up top.

This year's team will have some depth at striker. We know where Fred will line up. That leaves just one glaring hole in this lineup, at defense...with a few questions to be answered about the goalkeeping.

They overpaid in giving up Guerrero, who was a steal of a pick-up last year. Still, if the team could return to its 2007 form, that would be miraculous and wondrous.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I believe the front office paniced when they lost Roger and that is why you are seeing this as a fall out... though I'll admit that when we acquired Ivan last year it didn't quite make sense to me bc we had 2 starters at his postion but we were pretty banged up at the time.... we'll see..... welcome back Christian

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 9, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

On paper, this looks like a slaughter in favor of Colorado. But looking a little closer, what really is going on?

1. Colorado dumped Gomez and he wanted to return to DC. Simple enough. However, they got back a player that probably won't even start for them, unless they plan on playing him at left back. Colin Clark has left mid wrapped up. Besides, United would be missing Guerrero quite a bit with WC qualifying.

2. Colorado is taking a hit on this trade salary wise. We may never know the actual amount, but they are takins some of that money off our hands.

3. The backup goalkeeper is insurance because what I'm hearing is that Kocic is walking on eggshells at the moment and the coaching staff is not too impressed.

4. The extra foreign player spot tells me they are going after someone at another time. Can't have too many of those.

Let's wait and see how this pans out before universally panning this move. Remember a year ago most of us were on Cloud Nine with the additions to the team. How did that work out for us?

Posted by: ARickey | February 9, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I really wanted Gomez back, but I don't understand this . . . unless the other shoe has yet to drop. Going from Gallardo to Gomez is a salary cap saving, and we apparently got salary cap considerations from Colorado, plus we clear the salaries of Gurerro, Martinez and Peralta. And we have an extra foreign player slot, so is there, as we heard when Roger went back to Brazil, an experienced, high priced foreign central back on the radar? But why then the extra foreign player slot? What about the slot that Roger was going to take? Dare we hope that, with all the cap clearance and slots, more than one major (albeit, sub-DP) signing is in the offing?

The game is afoot . . . I hope. Otherwise it makes no sense, not because Gomez isn't worth Guerrero and a DP slot, but because Colorado had no leverage. To me the only thing that makes sense is we wanted to clear a foreign slot and dump guerrero's salary.

Posted by: regularfan | February 9, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I would have made that move.

-- Hope Solo

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 9, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

poor Ivan... he just went from the playoffs to the cellar! ;)

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 9, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

i think this post may set the record for "most new usernames someone creates in order to post comments agreeing with himself." or did all of Ivan Guerrero's family login at once?

really, Guerrero is so special that DCU can't afford to lose him? this irrevocably sabotages their season? i don't see it.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 9, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@ARickey -- Don't count me as one of those on Cloud9 this time last year. I liked the way the team looked in the CCC matches, but when the deals were made, they didn't look great. I warned that Gallardo would struggle to be effective in the talent-poor MLS. Peralta and Niell looked like insignificant and very helpful signings. Jury was out on Carvallo and Martinez.

I agree that getting Gomez back will help this team. The offense just works better when he's in there. Losing Guerrero does hurt, though -- notwithstanding the fact that his national team duty would keep him out of a few games.

Right now, I'm concerned about our age, our back line and our goalkeeping. Things might work out, but probably not without a strong signing or two. Osman Chavez is still out there and interested in MLS. Is DCU interested in him?

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

The lineup posted above is kind of "Back to the future". The key, though, is the bench. Is there anyone there to back up gomez and moreno who are both only able to go 60 a game, maybe 90 if Gomez was pushed up and could pace himself. With pontius, Kuhmalo, Doe there I think the team thinks there is enough there to make it work.

GIven that DCU was thought to have fleeced the rapids (and they probbaly did) both teams failed in reaching the playoffs and the trade hurt both teams. DCU had no bench due to the high cap hit and colorado overpaid for a player who can't play at altitude. Kudos to DCU for dropping the 2 DP experiment as soon as they did.

Ivan Guerrero is a solid pro and worked hard as a DCU player. Ultimately, though, he won't be around for the whole season due to qualifiers (Honduras) and is probably as good as he's going to get. Better to trade for his value now, than ride him down over the next couple years. I also think that DCU is stacked at either of his positions - Left Mid and Left Back (Fred, Burch, Wallace, Mediate, etc.) so playing time was going to be hard to come by. Given his relatively high salary its an obvious move.

I think the FO might have overpaid in the short term, but long term this is probably an even and fair deal for both sides - if Colorado has a plan for their DP slot.

Posted by: LookingDangerous | February 9, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

so who's going to be our playmaker/ball holder after 70 minutes? we can't count on Christian or Jaime at their ages and condition, so who's it going to be? since we only get three subs, and we have to assume that one and a half of them, on average, will be for Gomez and Jaime, what sort of tactical flexibility do we have left? I sure hope Tino, Fred, and Luci are all ready to be 90 minute men all season long (we know Clyde is) so we can sub our weak D when needed.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 9, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

1. While I think acquiring Gomez can pay off, it's going to come down to a bunch of variables we don't know at this point:
--his health
--how the team/coach/scheme adapts to him (because he's not suddenly going to become a 2-way player or impress us with his workrate and ball-winning).

2. I think it's a bad deal and DCU overpaid.

3. That said, here's how this deal "could" make sense:
--if you conclude that Fred is not your A-mid
--if Olsen is looking good, managing the pain and you conclude you're either going to go to a 3-5-2 (with Olsen as a holding mid) or he's going to compete for starting time at outside mid with Fred and Quaranta (which renders Guerrero surplus)
--The backup GK situation is suddenly looking thin. You're sure Wells is going to retire, Clayton may still be gimpy, Kocis or Thorpe isn't impressing.
--you want another international roster slot because of who you are planning to acquire (which means the team is likely looking at TWO foreign acquisitions since they already had enough slots to sign Roger).

In short, the way this deal makes sense is if Guerrero became extra, we have a GK depth issue and we need a foreign roster slot. Gomez (whether he's great or not) clearly gives us an A-mid at potentially very cheap (depends upon how much Colorado pays--and in the past they've paid a lot for guys like Mathis that they had dealt). So the real value of this deal may be that we can add two other foreign players--a central defender and someone else while adding GK depth. That "might" make sense.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 9, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I do not understand the logic of this. Period.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 9, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I Could write a whole aritcle on how i feel about this and what DCU is doing wrong and what they should do.
1st off shouldnt have signed Gomez, shouldve opened talks with Juan veron again and should have an attempt at signing Stephen Appiah (Ghana Captain) who would be an excellent midfield player with veron. sign an international young central player who could also take over when veron or appiah are injured. They should sign Bocanegra and Demerit and Alex Santos (Brazilian Born japanese left back who is amazing)

Posted by: DCUHitman | February 9, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

and sign Goalkeeper Quentin Westberg so he would be our number 1 keeper followed by Crayton and wells. and MLS needs to bring back the reserve league.

P.S. Zaher is good. so dont write him off and say wallace is better because ive seen him play and hes good.

Posted by: DCUHitman | February 9, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

poor Ivan... he just went from the playoffs to the cellar! ;)
____ - - - - -

Really? DC had fewer points last season than Colorado; Colorado has a new coach who actually knows what he's doing; and DC has a coach that seems clueless half the time. Not sure that I'd be so quick to say something like that.

Posted by: hacksaw | February 9, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with DCUHitman. They also should have taken a look at Lionel Messi. He plays for Barcelona, over in Spain. He and Moreno could share the supporting striker role.

Posted by: empsg59 | February 9, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I wanted Gomez back and am glad he is, but not on these terms. DC just blew it big time.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 9, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

@JoeW -- Well, it does seem to me that the key to this deal is the foreign player slot. Other than the return of Gomez, it maybe the only thing of value DCU gets out the deal. Everything else goes the Rapids' way. Graczyk? If Kocic is a disaster, we need GK depth. Does Graczyk beat out Thorpe for a developmental slot? I thought Thorpe had some potential -- athletic. We'll have to see how the GK situation plays out.

The international slot -- if DCU uses it for someone good, then the deal starts to look more promising and even-handed. I guess we would have 2 international slots that we can fill, since Roger took off. And, it seems we've cleared some cap room to make good sue of those slots. The only thing that has me concerned is that this Roger guy was the best DCU could come up with. One would think that they're going to be setting their sights lower still, unless the cap room allows them to aim higher still.

@lookingdangerous -- I don't understand why you this deal as one that helps DCU in the long-run, rather than the short-run. This is very much -- 100% - a short-run deal. DCU is aiming to get back to the upper echelons this year, before Gomez turns 35. You have this exactly backwards. DCU may do better this year, but the trade helps the Rapids in the long run, as Guerrero has more years left than Gomez, plus they get the draft pick and the DP back.

If DCU brings in a couple of good internationals -- they won't be DPs, unless Emilio gets dealt -- and Gomez returns to 2007 form, we might look really fondly on this trade. The measure of it will be how DCU does in CCL and MLS Cup play this year. By next year, DCU will already be looking to retool. They will likely need to replace Olsen and Crayton, and they will need to be grooming successors for Emilio and Gomez. They may already be on the roster (Pontius and Jacobson), but I'm sure DCU will continue to look for international quality talent.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Any thought that in a World Cup Qualifying year, a regular Honduran call up would available to United less and less?

And that, of course, means Ben Olsen is making great strides and will be starter ready . . .

That's the only explanation for the madness.

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Allow me to sum-up all of the above:

1)The deal blows, if, you don't know about potential moves still in the works.

2)The deal blows chunks, if, Olsen, Jaime, Gomito, Crayton, Emilio and (insert new international) don't stay healthy.

3)The deal blows a big fat one, if, the success of the potential moves blows a big fat one.

Posted by: inzzo79 | February 9, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

United got bent over on this one.

Posted by: peridigm | February 9, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: inzzo79

4. The deal blows if we don't win MLS Cup.

If we do, the deal is the greatest move ever.

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

When I read the headline on the Posts main sports page and saw what United Gave up all I could say was:

"That's dumb"

Gomez better win MVP, win the golden boot, win Goalie of the year, win Defender of the Year, and win Coach of the Year.

Good to have Gomez back though.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 9, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the love of Ivan. He's a good player, true, but he's not a game breaker and not really much of a threat offensively.

He has a great work rate, but can't cross the ball worth crap.

I think we can find a replacement for him easier than we can find another #10.

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Why in the f'ink world did FO gave Guerrero away AND dp slot? Are they smoking too much joint staying close to barry and Fenty?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 9, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Horrible, just horrible. A DP slot and a national team player.

Since when did our FO start taking tips from the NYRB School of Trade?? Horrible.

Posted by: beergorila | February 9, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

He has a great work rate, but can't cross the ball worth crap.

I think we can find a replacement for him easier than we can find another #10.

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2009 7:19 PM
------------------------------------------

All true. Guerrero is a good player. Great work rate, few mistakes, but he didn't produce a whole lot of offense.

As you observe above, if Olsen can play, then Guerrero wasn't going to see much time in midfield. So, we're left with some weakness at left back. Of course, if Wallace surprises all of us and proves ready to start fairly early in the season, that won't be an issue, either.

Guerrero, however, did give us some quality, experience, stability and versatility. That's not that easy to replace.

Again, the question is what becomes of that international slot. We've traded down from a DP slot to a regular international slot. I don't need to point out that means a huge drop-off in potential salary and means the FO has to aim much lower. They could still bring in a good player, but it remains to be seen. In truth, they need to bring in 2 good internationals, since they already had an open slot....

I'm delighted to have Gomez back. I really hope he's going to have better fitness than he showed in '07. If he does, it's a great pick-up. As for the balance of the trade, I'll reserve final judgment until I see who the FO adds for the open international slots.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Time will tell about the trade.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 9, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

41 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 9, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

...I hope Fred's hamstring is made of diamonds and bamboo.

*sigh*

The sky is falling? Fire Kasper and Soehn? Kevin Ara now? Anything? Anything at all?

Nah... However, before reading this news, I was :D.

Now I'm :|.

Posted by: B_A_ | February 9, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

So last year, it was "10 players and a goalie." This year it's "10 goalies and a player."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 9, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this trade sucks. I'm sorry I bought season tickets and a full-season parking pass.

I've got better ways to spend a grand than watching the team lose most of their home games.

Posted by: lastort1 | February 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Biggest overreaction ever, those who lament and lambast.

Gomez was, and can be, a player for the ages. Gotta go with potential, karma, and a spirit of hopefulness.

What's left anyway?

Posted by: wjones3044 | February 9, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Whiners.

Gomez was great, and has a couple of seasons left. Things didn't work out in Colorado. So? Last I checked, With both hands Rapids couldn't find their own.. well, you fill in the blank.

Moreno's return worked out alright as I recall.

Posted by: Sturmunddrang | February 9, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

OK, so maybe we'll sign Convey now?

Posted by: beergorila | February 9, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

When I first read about the deal I was a little upset, but hopefully Gomez will give us another player to finish taking some of the pressure off our backs. Guerrero was a solid pick up for us last year, thought he did well in his time with us. Gomez was an MVP for us, now hopefully he can regain that form.

Posted by: MOCker | February 9, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

1) I am EXTREMELY happy that we got Gomez back

2) I think we gave up way too much for him, especially considering he rode the pine for most of last season. However, I don't know as much surrounding the situation as the DCU staff do, so I might be wrong

3) Goff, what did we get from Colorado in exchange for Gomez when we traded them his rights?

Posted by: GoUnited | February 9, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's put Guerrero into perspective. 31 years old, 101 career MLS games, 4 goals (2 in 2005, 1 in 2007, 1 in 2008), 20 assists. He was left unprotected by Chicago last winter and picked up by San Jose, who traded him to DCU for a partial allocation. He's a nice box-to-box wing player, but not really a game changer. In return we get Gomez, 34, former league MVP, 3 time MLS Best XI, etc. Seems like an okay deal to me...but lets wait and see what happens on the field.

Posted by: gilligab | February 9, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mean to say it was a bad move, I still think it's a great move. I just think we could have negotiated more to get him for less, that's all.

Posted by: GoUnited | February 9, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

If you break this down:

1. Guerrero straight up for Gomez (a win for dcu);

2. a 2nd round draft pick for *another* goalie (time will tell, but there's minimal risk);

3. designated player spot straight up for an international allocation (a win for dcu);

+ salary cap considerations (can't be a bad thing)

There's tremendous upside and little downside. Never should have let Gomez go in the first place.

Posted by: thehole | February 9, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

What will we miss most from Ivan, the deft scoring touch, the assists from the wing, or the crunching tackles? And all at a reasonable price...

Wait a minute, Ivan who? Oh, him? Nice player, not a game winner.

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Another possibility - the newly acquired international roster spot is something to add to the trade bait toolbox should another MLS team have some homegrown talent to offload as they seek to add another international.

All y'all barking for the addition of home-growns, this would work, yes?

No trade or player acquisition is anything close to a sure thing. I kinda think we've learned that by now. One hopes and presumes that the FO does have a clue and a plan, so let's see what happens.

Let's not give up on the season quite yet. At least wait 'til the opening kickoff, please. By that time you can at least order a beer and be happy!

Posted by: JustinWilt | February 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Just a break from this thread: Kelly Smith comes to Boston.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/7877878.stm

Karen Carney is so hot!

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 9, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 9, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

The thing Guerrero provided was hard work and professionalism. A couple of things that were sorely missing many times last year. He brought the heart we were missing without Olsen. True he didn't have a lot of stats, but who thinks that football players can only be judges on stats?

Gomez was only a 60 minute player when he was in his "prime" here. Now he's a couple of years older still. Does anyone truly think he's going to be any more fit now?

I guess all any of us can do now is wait and see what happens. But getting yet another GK is one of the more baffling parts of this thing.

Kasper ought to do an interview where he explains what is going on here.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Glad I waited for the update on the entire deal. The International spot could be looked at as equal to or even better than a DP spot...
With a couple of exceptions those seem to be turning into overpriced mistakes for all parties involved.
Quietside had a great post. Thank you for your quiet, and intelligent perspective. I've been worried all along about Guerrero and his importance to the Catrachos. They tend to call up their boys early and often. Ivan has proved to be one of those cats. He's got hella caps and will only be getting more. I liked him, but his crosses just weren't that great. I think he has depth perception issues. Honestly...
Looking Dangerous mentioned it too.
Getting another keeper to take a look at can't hurt. Crayton may not be around as long as people think, not to mention there's been no update on his shoulder. Maybe signing Kocic(sp?) isn't panning out. Shoot, Carvalho(sp?) talked the talk too before anyone saw him play... We know how that turned out. Soooo.
If I ever made fun of any of you and your undying fondness of Gomez, I will apologize, he was a good player, but from all accounts he didn't want to be here when he left. I was ready to move on and get behind who ever was going to wear the #10. Now that he's back I'll be happy to cheer him on.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry,fedsoccer, but while many can grudgingly acknowledge the lack of 90 min. hustle by Gomez, he was by far the most influential player on a team that won 2 Supporters Shields and 1 MLS cup while he ran the show.

Honestly, if this thread keeps going, his fitness will be down to 20 mins. per match...

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I am losing confidence in the people running this team. Gomez had better have one friggin great season and that keeper better be a closet all star central defender. I liked Guerrero. He hustled and actually played the wing as opposed to the others we have slated there that people are calling depth? Reality check - we now have no -- as in zero -- proven wing players...and don't say Fred - he was a central withdrawn forward when we got him and he played liked a central mid when we put him wide. That leaves Burch who is a sub and maybe Pontius who is just unproven. Season tickets are on hold.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 9, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

We just got burned, Johnny Walker.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | February 9, 2009 5:18 PM

well said

Posted by: willt1 | February 9, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

What's the point of wingers if you're going to bring it up through the middle...?

;)

Seriously, have we had wide play since Sanneh left?

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

200 posts on 2 threads and folks still haven't gotten it out of their systems?
The Google data miners are figuring out that a post with "Gomez" in it rakes in the Ad revenue.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan -- that was a thoughtful, considered, intelligent, coherent post. Is the drug war catching up with your supplies? I guess you went the weekend without indulging...

Just in case, Christian is reading this: We're thrilled to have you back. Really. Somos aficionados. Estamos extaticos de tenerlo de vuelta -- por su regreso a nuestro abrazo.

Some of us are disappointed to see Ivan go, and we hoped to still have the DP slot to improve the team. As it is, we will wait to see who the team brings in with the international roster slots available.

Last year was a bad memory. This year, we hope to see United return to the top. Con Gomito.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I think it is safe to say that the FO is betting everything on Gomez and hoping this pans out. Getting to The Cup or darn close to it is going to be what it takes to save some jobs.

I hope Gomez comes back and tears it up.

118

Posted by: FatSickBoot | February 9, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Where does the 60 minute player rap come from? When Gomez would come out of the games at the 60-70 minute mark the victory was in hand.

I sometimes think that the people on this board haven't actually seen Gomez play when he was here. I can cite two games disprove the part time player rap.

The first is the home playoff game in 2006 against the Red Bulls when we needed a goal to advance. He scored a wonderful one time volley in the 86th minute. The second is his last game with DC when he scored in the 74th minute and nearly scored again in the dying minutes of the game. Both big games and he showed no hint of a "fitness problem".

Posted by: tkelley55 | February 9, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

DP's are good for the league, but are not the only solution to create good teams in the MLS. One thing that the MLS needs to understand is that buying overpriced DPs is not going to make the league successful. What makes a league successful is their tough competition. I can only see that happening when MLS teams start participating in the Copa Libertadores. The Concacaf Champions League helps, however, the real quality teams in this hemisphere are in South America.

Posted by: fedster | February 9, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm completely baffled by this move. We came into this negotiation with Colorado knowing that the Rapids absolutely had to dump Gomez's salary. They had no intention of using him. They came in as the more desperate club to make a move, especially after about half of MLS sniffed around, but said "no thanks". Honestly, when I suggested Khumalo in the previous thread, I thought even that was a bit generous.

What's even more confusing is that Guerrero doesn't really fit Colorado's scheme. He won't start over Colin Clark at left midfield, and is too attack-minded to start often at left back given Smith's preference for a team that emphasizes conservative play and hard work as its principle values.

Plenty of people here are insisting that Guerrero is easily replaced, and that he wasn't a game-changing player. The latter might be true, but the former is not (or perhaps you have not been paying attention to DC's repeated, failed attempts at replacing Josh Gros; Guerrero was the replacement that finally worked out). Guerrero wasn't going to win games by himself, but he did make us better and more difficult to beat. This is especially important when our defense consists of Namoff, hope, and if we're lucky a strong wind blowing away from our goal. He was also our closest thing to Olsen last year in terms of making himself an outlet to our defenders when they have the ball. This is a highly underrated attribute, and is a big key to why Quaranta and Fred (who both play with tons of energy) are not considered two-way players. It's also worth noting that Guerrero was the only actual left midfielder in the entire squad.

This deal can work in DC's favor, but there are so many question marks in the way:

- Can Gomez, at 34, be at least as fit as he was at 32?
- Can a team that will be forced to burn 2 subs a game on aging but crucial players deal with tactical adjustments from other coaches?
- Is Olsen going to be able to play regularly?
- Will Pontius and Khumalo be able to fill in on the left well enough?
- If Burch is hurt, will Wallace be able to contribute now or will he be exposed?

To sum up, I'd love to be wrong. I'd be ecstatic if Gomez, who I've always held in very high esteem, can be the player he was, and Olsen can come back and be the player he was, and that Pontius and Khumalo can fill in on the left when their number is called. I just don't think it's likely that all (or even most) of these things fall into place.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Fedster, what we learned last year is that there's no point in playing in those tournaments with what is, for all intents, a 15 -16 man roster. When MLS rosters go 22-25 deep with PROS, not just hopefuls, then the League moves up a notch.

Can't do build the rosters without cash, can't get cash without serious crowds and TV $. For now, it is what it is, what the market will bear.

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Chest, you really think Ivan helped on defense, or was he just filling out the numbers?

I'd rate him as an emergency fill in at LB. At best. His game is maintaining possession in the MF, IMHO. I like the guy, but won't miss his contributions much. Someone posted a starting 11 above without him that made me wonder who he would replace if he were here, and he's too expensive for that.

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

OK, so maybe we'll sign Convey now?

Posted by: beergorila | February 9, 2009 7:51 PM

-------------

Er, you mean trade with San Jose for him? Check the posts from a few days back dude.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 9, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

To all you gushing Gomez experts out there:

Gomez hates being called "Gomito".

Posted by: Ron16 | February 9, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

WE HAVE 4 STARS ON OUR JERSEY without the help of a DP. The DP slot is a huge gamble. Guererro kinda hurts but overall I'm happy.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 9, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Gomez is back on the roster. That's not the issue.

This is the soccer equivalent to trading up in the NFL draft from #15 to #6 just to pick a guy you could've had at #15. DC let Colorado off the hook.

And for all Guerrero's limitations, IIRC he stayed healthy last year, unlike Fred (and Gallardo and Quaranta and Emilio and Moreno and pretty much every attacking player who got significant minutes).

Posted by: benonthehill | February 9, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

JkR,

Most South American Teams are not that rich and have great teams. There are several ways where the MLS can help its teams to succeed. For instance, if one or two MLS teams are successful in Concacaf CL or Copa Libertadores, the league should allow loans or reinforcements to the successful teams from other MLS teams. With international coverage the league will get $$$ and more TV sponsoring not only from the US, but for the rest of North and South American countries.

Posted by: fedster | February 9, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Check that, Dyachenko stayed pretty healthy too.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 9, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Horrible trade. Giving up that much just doesn't make sense.

worst year for DCU ever. another not very smart move. bringing back gomez is fine but not at that price and not when colorado was desperate.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | February 9, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Big IFS, fedster. I like the theory, but we saw last year MLS teams can't go 47 games with the roster structure they have. It does more damage than good to send out the scrubs by necessity, and they simply can't play at that level.

DC, NE and Houston all learned that last year.

Columbus won the cup and not coincidentally only played 30 games

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I think there are two ways of interpreting this:

1) DCU is clearing tons of salary / cap space to trim the fat and make a few key moves. List of high-paid ($100,000+) players gone and 2008 salaries:

Gallardo - $1,874,000 ($400,000 against cap)
Martinez - $244,750
Peralta - $199,000
Guererro - $147,000

Colorado is paying a chunk of Gomez's salary and even with resigning McTavish, Namoff, Simms, and Quaranta we still have to have had a net gain.

Perhaps DCU is ready to bring in one or two "solid" foreign players around $200,000, although our recent record in this department is pretty shaky.

2) McFarlane and Will Chang know this season is a losing cause and they're trying to save some money (a la Ted Leonsis prior to that strike season) and then of course next year we'll land the footballing equivalent of Alex Ovechkin!

This team will be better than last year's, but we are not title contenders.

Posted by: churtmah | February 9, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

ps - I knew that was the figure for Gallardo but $1.8 million for last year is so shocking.

Hey, let's bring in some Hondurans like Wigan did (Palacios and Figueroa), that seemed to work out pretty well for them.

oh.

Posted by: churtmah | February 9, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't they have given Gomez what he wanted last year and saved money, time and team chemistry? Trading for players we unloaded a just a year earlier smacks of poor planning and a lack of vision. I would have preferred to have had Gomez this entire time.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | February 9, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

pps - one area where this could be a major improvement is leadership. Gomez does bring a lot of passion to the game and without Benny on the field we were missing that inspirational leader for a lot of last season. We still need a central defender - it's probably a pipe dream but what about Jay Demerit for just under dp money? If Watford go down to League 1 they'll certainly sell some players.

Posted by: churtmah | February 9, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Per usual, Chest_Rockwell has it right. 'Nuff said. Me no like.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 10, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I thought Pontius was a target-type striker? Why are we discussing him in midfield?

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

re:

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | February 9, 2009 11:21 PM
---------------------------------

Yes. They could have. And the DCU FO is going to do exactly that. They are going to go back in time, and give Gomez the guaranteed years he wanted. And Gomez is going to go back in time and be 32 years old again, so he can be an impact player for us now instead of a 34- year old with declining pace and skills.

Another great benefit of this is that from the fans' point of view, they will perceive only that Gomez has been here the entire time, and will stop with the useless pining about Gomez being let go in the first place.

Time travel is a wonderful thing.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 10, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Looks like a good signing. But at what price? I don't care much about the pick (they rarely pan out anyway) and the DP slot (lots of good that's done us this past year). But to give away Guerrero in the deal...that's shocking to me.

Posted by: tundey | February 10, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I like Gomez a lot. But does anyone else get the feeling that DCU is being left in the dust with the DP and roster selections thing?
Look at Columbus, Red Bulls, and the Fire. Three top teams with three great DP picks. Look at DCU and Galaxy – stupid DP picks.

I honestly hope DCU does well this season but I really do not see them making the playoffs.

Gomez – getting too old. Jaime – ditto. Emilio – will he show or not?
The back 3 or 4 – the only consistent player is Namoff.

It just seems to me that DCU is driving the 1963 VM Beetle (not Herbie)while others are in an F1.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | February 10, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Despite having the "best fans in the league" and "a tradition of excellence," we have a front office that behaves like Dick Cheney. Lots of 'spainin' to do here Lucy. Would be awful nice to hear the F/O admit that their decisions last year were terrible and we're still paying the price for them.
Guerrero may not have been a routine game changer, but he had the potential to be every time he had the ball. Imagine him playing WITH Gomez.
If this team does not produce buckets of goals, with Emilio enjoying better service from Gomez than he's had the last two years, we had better be prepared midseason to hit the re-boot button. Old Old Old. Does anyone in management of this team care about speed?

Posted by: dsheon | February 10, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

@ bobfairchild1 With all due respect...I don't understand why people say Emillio didn't show last year. He led the team in scoring again dispite being hampered by injuries. Ya we're getting old but I would say we are driving a 2000 Camry with 100,000 miles on it. It could go for another 50,000 miles or need a transmission tommorow.

I say drive it the Camery this year but do preventative maintanance. Get a couple of solid no-name players from Centrial America. It is these "no nameers" that earned DCU their first 2 or 3 stars on the jersey.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 10, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Are they out of their everliving minds!!!! (I'd use stronger language, but it wouldn't last. Unlike my rage).

Somebody wrote that we have more depth at Guerrero's position. NNNNNN!!! Sorry, thanks for playing, we have No quality left midfielders.

Instead, we get a hasbeen after the fact, one who is aging, one who has a Huge salary, and one who has always had the habit of disappearing in matches.

Our formation was shifting. WHAT THE @#$%#$^^%$&$&^%*!!!!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 10, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse