Greetings From RFK

*Knowing he would see Christian Gomez again today, Ben Olsen wore a No. 10 "C. Gomez" baby-blue Rapids jersey to RFK. Much more from Olsen later.

For now.....

*Goalkeeper Louis Crayton is expected to arrive tonight after spending time in Liberia following his mother's death.

*Trialist Taiwo Atieno was let go. Kyle Veris and Ange N'Silu remain in camp, though Veris is recovering from a concussion and has not rejoined workouts.

*Responding to a report in the Jamaican media that says right wing Eric Vernan, 21, will have a trial with D.C. United, GM Dave Kasper said: "Maybe -- not confirmed yet."

*More news on the stadium front from The Post's metro desk.

*Gomez participated in his first workout with United today -- well, his first workout here since the fall of 2007.

Jump below for his comments.....

"I feel good, it feels good to see my teammates again. I am ready to begin a new season."

How long will it take to bond again with this team?

"I don't think it will take long for me to get accustomed to this group of guys. As you might have seen today at training, D.C. plays the same brand of soccer, an attractive style. I know these guys, so I don't think it will take long."

What is your physical status?

"It's obvious when you haven't training for a couple of months, your body is shocked at first. I haven't trained with a group of players in a while so your body feels it afterward."

Why didn't you play much for the Rapids late last season?

"I think because there was a different style of play with the way I play and the way the coach wanted to play. When Fernando Clavijo was there, the gameplan was to play through me, and when he was let go and a new coach came on board, he wanted to play more of an English style and that didn't suit me."

After all the success with United, how difficult was it for you to sit on the bench much of last season?

"It was difficult going from the MLS all-star game and scoring a goal to 20 days later things change and you are not playing. It was very difficult to accept that. I knew at the end of the season I wasn't going to return to Colorado. I knew I would be somewhere else."

What was your initial reaction to United pursuing you this winter?

"I was calm when I first found out because there are a lot of negotiations that take place, so until I actually signed, I didn't think about it too much. I knew there was another team interested in me. My family wanted to be back here, we feel very comfortable here, and I felt the same way."

Were there hard feelings between you and DCU when you left last winter?

*No hard feelings. My contract had expired with D.C. United and I was looking for a contract that was in the best interests of me and my family. I couldn't reach a deal with United so I had to do what was best for my family."

Everyone expects you to come in and elevate the team. Do you feel the pressure to do that?

"When you first arrive to a club -- or in my case, I am coming back for a second time -- I would call it a good pressure because you want to have a good season and win a championship. It's something a player cherishes to have that pressure."

By Steve Goff  |  February 13, 2009; 2:46 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Stadium Chat, Poll
Next: A Few Minutes With Quaranta, Olsen

Comments

We're glad to have you back, Christian!! Let's get out there and take care of business.

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | February 13, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, it's great to read quotes from Christian Gomez again.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | February 13, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Def. good to have you back, I'm sure Emilio will be happy to.

Posted by: jmmills20 | February 13, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of how the trade to get you back went down, and I'm somewhat a doubter that you have much left in the tank to get us where we want to be (though I would love nothing more than to be proven DEAD wrong on that one). Regardless, with and open heart, I bid you a kind welcome back into the fold, Christian Gomez. You have the love of the faithful with you. We stand proudly behind the colors and all who wear them.

Let's win a championship!!

Vamos United!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 13, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I got that move....

Welcome back, Christian.

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

That's brilliant!

Unquestionably, Ben is the kind of guy I'd love to sit down and have an adult beverage or two with. Without turning my back on him, of course...

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 13, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

A good attitude about coming here is expected. As good attitude about his situation in Colorado shows good character.

Bienvenidos (otra vez) y buena suerte.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 13, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'll be the happiest person around if I was wrong and Gomez, at 34, has enough in the tank to get us another star. He's still amongst my all-time favorite DC players.

I still think we botched the negotiations badly, but that has little to do with Gomez returning to training. Here's hoping he can still go out and help us back to the top.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 13, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Story idea for Goff from the Nakamura chat:

"Silver Spring, Md.: David,

Has D.C. United released any information about the percentage of season ticket holders (or ticket buyers in general) that come from Virginia, D.C., and Maryland? I would like to know how many hardcore United fans would have a longer commute to a P.G. County stadium, and how many would have an equal or shorter commute. Thanks.

David Nakamura: This is a great question to which I don't know the answer. I will suggest that we in the Metro staff or soccer insider Steven Goff pursue that answer and follow up with a story or blog item on that."

Posted by: Juan-John | February 13, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

For all the people who constantly harp on the fact that Gomez has lost a step and say he can't do it anymore, I have two words: Jaime Moreno.

Posted by: grotusmaximus | February 13, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Bienvenidos a su casa!!

Since United is controlling some RFK revenue streams . . . we should be mindful of those STEALING the taps from the beer stands, etc from the concessions areas.

Really, I've probably seen a half dozen taps stolen after games by drunk fans . .

Now, you're just stealing from our own club!

Posted by: delantero | February 13, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

That was quite a tepid non-denial from Kasper about Jamaican prospect Eric Vernan so I assume he's on his way for at least a tryout.

The linked Jamaican article says he's recently been capped, plays for Portmore United and is “diminutive but speedy”.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 13, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane: I saw the same thing, "diminuitive but speedy". Doesn't sound all that promising.

Posted by: Matte | February 13, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

United needs to start issuing those headgear things that Esky made so stylish at practices from now on. What's with all the concussions?!

Posted by: TCompton | February 13, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

concussions mean they are training hard and fighting for balls in the air. that's a good thing, save the beating each other up thing.

diminutive and speedy? has anyone checked if he's really Franco Neill in disguise?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 13, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Franco was heavy on the diminutive, less so speedy

Posted by: carmines757 | February 13, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | February 13, 2009 4:03 PM

**************************

I wouldn't reject the guy just because of his size. Dane Richards was probably the main reason NY beat Houston in the playoffs last fall.

Size helps in many ways but it's not super important for wing players.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 13, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I could go with that if the full description were "diminutive but speedy and cheap."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 13, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I love the guy. Personally, I don't care about the star at this point. I just want us to be competitive again. This takes us one step closer. It doesn't make our defense good, but it does take us one step closer.

Posted by: mddeblois | February 13, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Size helps in many ways but it's not super important for wing players.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane |

Aye, DeMarcus Beasley anybody?

Posted by: googlio | February 13, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse