Greetings From RFK

*As the Insider told you this morning, a D.C. United regular from last year will not make the roster this season: It is midfielder Joe Vide, who made seven league starts and eight appearances for 590 minutes after being acquired on waivers midseason. Word of his imminent exit began circulating last week and became official today. With Andrew Jacobson's arrival from France, Vide became expendable.

*The Insider told you about it yesterday, but the Zach Wells retirement is now official. I wish I could share a comment from Zach, but he has not been available for an interview and not had much contact with the club since departing training camp last month. Surfing lessons await.

*Six goalkeepers were at training today: Louis Crayton, Milos Kocic, James Thorpe, academy player Bill Hamid, trialist Mike Graczyk (acquired from Colorado in the Christian Gomez trade) and new trialist Nic Platter (USL1 Minnesota).

*Jacobson (hamstring), Fred (knee) and Marc Burch (hip) worked out on the side.

I will be back soon with comments from Coach Tom Soehn and others.....

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2009; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: More DCU News and Notes

Comments

"*Quote of the day (so far), courtesy of Ben Olsen during an early jog: "P.G. United! P.G. United!""

*slaps forehead*

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | February 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Fare thee well Joe Vide, you shall be missed by this particular fan.

Posted by: Section117 | February 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

how's benny's ankles holding up?

Posted by: port13 | February 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Please Benny dont make me hurt you !!!!! lol what a gooff!

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | February 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Vide deserved a raise, not a pink slip. But that's pro sports for you. No guarantees.

Posted by: SSMD1 | February 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Joe Vide. I hope another MLS team will soon appreciate your tenacious play.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Benny's sense of humor, with stunts like this, and showing up in a Colorado shirt the other day.

Posted by: hokieunited | February 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Damn. I really liked Vide. He was very good for when he played...hell if simms didnt come wtih his normal fire i rather have had Vide instead of him. Not to mention his rough play, we needed that.... i wonder who will land him and start him?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | February 17, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, good luck to Vide and I'm sure some other MLS teams will soon be in the market for his services. Let's face it - he is tenacious but rather unskilled.

Depending on whether DCU stays with a 4-4-2 or returns to more of a 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 to accomodate the return of Gomez, he was facing too much competition for those spots. Vide was behind Simms, Olsen and Jacobsen for holding midfield playing time. Plus, in a 3-5-2 I could see even McTavish getting time in that role. Central midfield is one area where DCU is in pretty decent shape.

Posted by: timc3 | February 17, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Gonna miss Vide's passion and tenacity.
Hope he catches on at Charleston, I don't feel like losing him to another MLS team :-)
I remember poor Joe agreeing to take a dev spot last year under assurances he was part of DC's long range plans and would be upgraded this year. Guess not.

Good luck!

Someone go smack Benny for me please, if you say it's from me he'll understand :)

Posted by: dcufan | February 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Not funny, Ben...

Posted by: dcbird | February 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Vide Veni'd but didn't Vice

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Vide had heart and I'll miss that cause I dont this Olsen will play more than 1/3 of the season. I maintain this team is soft.

Posted by: francisco_11 | February 17, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: francisco_11 | February 17, 2009 1:48 PM

----------------------------------------

While I share those same sentiments (well, not the soft one), I would bet a decent chunk of change that Vide ends up on a nearby USL team and will be more than happy to come back to DC if and when Benny comes up lame and the team just decides to cut their losses in in that respect.

Posted by: beach3 | February 17, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Ditto the update request on Benny's ankles and the same goes for Crayton's shoulder.

So what's the pressure for the immediate decision on Vide at this point? Is another signing imminent? A trade for Martinez?

Posted by: benonthehill | February 17, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

DC just let go a good utility man in Joe Vide. When all their little new stars get hurt mid-season and we resort to Clyde and another blocking the mid-field remember what we had in Joe Vide. Also remember no one got to meet him. We will miss him. I see the one that replaced him was out of training today. I hope Joe gets a team and not just a pink slip. He deserved a raise not being let go. Boo to whoever delivered the news to him. With all the money you give everyone Joe had to take a cut in pay to come on. Did well and now this.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Also remember no one got to meet him."

Me and the wife did, great guy who loved playing here, took the pay cut in stride and was hoping his play would bring a contract.

Posted by: Section117 | February 17, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Vide Veni'd but didn't Vice

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2009 1:47 PM
--------------------------------

Post of the week!

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I noticed you listed the goalies out of alphabetical order. Is that your unofficial pecking order?

Posted by: regularfan | February 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

C'mon VirginiaFan, it's not as if salary cap issues forced this so you can stop whining about all of the high paid "little new stars" (????).

It's the ridiculous new roster structure that required Vide's letting go. There are only so many senior roster spots and when you play a position (with heart or not) that several others on the roster play, then you're at risk of being declared redundant. The only real decision DCU actually had to make on this was whether Jacobson had better prospects than Vide - Olsen, Simms, and McTavish are all more firmly rooted and established with United.

Yes, it's a shame that Vide had to go as he did play with tenacity. Maybe Barklage will provide that same intensity in a Developmental slot (that is, if he makes the squad!).

Posted by: combedge | February 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sad that united cant hold on to such a seemingly versatile player. With such small rosters, this league is a joke.

Posted by: me_ahogo | February 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

Nice.

***

I'm conflicted about this move. On one hand, Vide was probably the least technically skilled player on the entire team, bar possibly Janicki. On a team that emphasizes possession, everyone in the midfield has to be able to pass the ball well and have a reliable first touch. When we fielded Vide with Simms in central midfield, the entire mindset of the team changed: defend, clog the middle, and try to play on the break. You can play possession soccer with 2 holding players in the middle, but they both have to have vision and a good range of passes. Vide, basically, was limited to having to make a short pass within 2 touches. Teams could easily key on that as a source of turnovers, and with our defending that would be a real problem. His technical shortcomings could be hidden a bit more in a 5 man midfield, but 352 (lack of proper defenders) and 451 (leaving out Moreno or Emilio) are both unlikely without a significant overhaul of the squad.

However, there is something to be said for having a player that brings something different to the table. Vide was by far our most aggressive, physical midfielder. He's the kind of guy you hate playing against, because you know you're coming off the field with bruises. I would be very hesitant to endorse him as a full-time starter, but I think he makes a good sub to bring on if you're looking to clog the midfield when winning. I still prefer to kill games by intelligent passing and movement, but there are times where you need a rugged (fatherless child) making people think twice about holding the ball for that extra moment.

Ultimately, I think the reasoning for letting him go is slightly stronger than it is for keeping him. We will probably miss his physicality a few times, but I think valuing possession as a way of defending is more important to this group and to this club's tradition. Vide is an MLS-quality player, but I don't know if he fits the way we play. I could see him finding a place in LA (where Arena has set about building a hard team) or Chicago (Pause has no natural backup, and they play a 5 man midfield). He could also have some success in the USL, which is more direct and less possession-oriented.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm no fan of a name change for the team, but if "PG" replaces "DC", at least the rhyme-scheme stays the same....

Posted by: BaltoFan | February 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, United saw more that they liked out of Jacobson than they did Vide. Vide was only 1 year older, so it's not like age was a concern. His salary wasn't all that high, so the salary wasn't a concern.

It just looks as though he didn't impress in preseason. If he hasn't been impressive, then I don't have a problem with him getting cut.

Posted by: TCompton | February 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

Well I guess we're not completly soft, we still have Mctavish & Burch that can musture up a mean streak every once in a while but I like players that bust there asses and play every game like its there last.

Posted by: francisco_11 | February 17, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Vide played pretty damn solid last season, it’s a mistake letting him go. Him and Simms could have paired up really well if we played 3-5-2 and they both could shoot from outside the 18. How good is Jacobson? He's already out on the sidelines with injuries from practice (hamstring injuries!!), based on last year, we definitely don’t need players to be injury prone in that area.

I remember DC telling Vide he was in their long-term plans, now this. He has no reason to come back to DC after the FO lied to his face.

Posted by: Springfie1d | February 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll always remember the great goal Joe Vide scored at RFK this summer (against Colorado, I think). Seemed like a good guy too. My guess is DCU did plan to honor its word, but then the reduced rosters forced its hand.

Posted by: Pedalada | February 17, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Letting Vide go is a dumb move. No one knows if Olsen is going to break down through the season or is Jacobsen will be healthy. So why cut a proven central mid who got the job down well with Olsen-like tenacity. I don't get....

Posted by: tmcneil2 | February 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I meant, "got the job done well".

Posted by: tmcneil2 | February 17, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I liked Vide just as much as the next guy, but I don't think a half-season in the MLS means he is "proven." Clearly the front office is high on Jacobsen, so they went with him. That's what you expect the guys upstairs to do. Let's have some faith and hope they made the right decision. I think many fans bashed the FO for last year, but injuries killed this team and not the FO. Let's hold off in saying that getting rid of Vide was terrible. Time will tell...

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: CYork1 | February 17, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I see a couple people calling Vide "versatile". This is patently false. He is capable of playing one and only one position: defensive midfield. That is the opposite of versatile.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 17, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Vide Veni'd but didn't Vice

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2009 1:47 PM
--------------------------------

Post of the week!

Posted by: edgeonyou
____
It was a big fail! Vice? Miami? It is Vici!

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we'll be going back to a 3-5-2. At the beginning of the 2007 season we started with the 3-5-2 and struggled immensely. After switching to the 4-4-2, United went on to win the Supporters Shield.

At this point, I don't think we have the defenders necessary for a 3-man back line. I could be wrong of course because we haven't really seen how McTavish and Burch handle the change, but the 3-man back line takes away some of the threat of Namoff and Burch (or another Left Back) getting into the attack more.

Posted by: TCompton | February 17, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I live in Florida, so I don't know what is already on the air, but in various markets jocks have radio and even tv shows at times. Usually boring, call in affairs where they all recite the same cliches or they break down what everyone saw in the last game.

Would be great if Ben could do his own 'inside' United show, full of humor and all. Maybe a sketch comedy show? At least get a 60 second piece once a week on a news show.

It is just cool to see an athlete have a bit of fun and not act like sports is so darn serious.

Posted by: bluesfan1 | February 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Springfie1d | February 17, 2009 2:36 PM

------------------

Man, the FO didn't lie to his face. Circumstances change, plans change, rules change. With only 24 players and two of your draft picks (three, if you count Jacobson from the previous year) taking up senior roster slots...utility men with lots of heart and less skill become expendable. Honestly, Vide wasn't even a utility man (a la McTavish) - he was an tenacious DM. That's it.

Posted by: combedge | February 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Vide Veni'd but didn't Vice

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2009 1:47 PM
--------------------------------

Post of the week!

Posted by: edgeonyou
____
It was a big fail! Vice? Miami? It is Vici!

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 2:50 PM

_______

In the third person singular, it's technically 'Vide venit sed no vicit'

fwooosh

(the sound of humor being sucked out of the blog by latin grammar analysis)

Posted by: IamAM | February 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

OK. Who ordered the Caesar salad?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see how many of those bemoaning the departure of Vide are also Virginia residents opposed to the move to PG County.

Vide was acquired to provide depth to an injury depleted team. He's not going to take control of a game, turn it on it's ear, or otherwise make a massive impact. Fact is, players like him are literally a dime a dozen in MLS.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Vide had one skill, strong in the tackle. That should be easy to replace because it is based on effort more than technique. I have nothing against him, but he will be easily replaced.

Posted by: Golden_Child | February 17, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Last year when SJ put Vide on wavers, they were the worst team in the league. He arrived and immediately gained playing time in the center of the park...and DCU didn't exactly make a u-turn and start playing well. DCU left him unprotected for this years expansion draft, so I'm not sure where the comments are coming from that 'Vide is in our future plans' or 'Vide will start for another team in MLS'.

Sure I like his tenacity and energy, but he turned the ball over slightly less often than Dychencko, only in the center of the field, rather than the offensive third. I recall a handful of Vide turnovers ending up in the back of our net within a few passes. Good luck to him, but I'm not particularly concerned he's gone.

Posted by: gilligab | February 17, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The salary and roster caps often through the proverbial monkey-wrench into an MLS side's best laid plans. It's the nature of the young beast known as MLS.

Thanks for your honest effort, blood and sweat, Vide, even if we were entertained for so short time. Thank you.

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 17, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to think that Goff is hoping Platter makes the roster. So many possible clever headlines.

Posted by: EssEff | February 17, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

This is a bummer, I really liked vide...

Posted by: GoUnited | February 18, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Good grief! Your team is on the verge of securing its long-term future by cutting a deal to build a stadium, what, maybe 10-12 miles away from RFK (big whoop!), and all some of you can do is pizzle and moan about it? Give it a rest already! Do you guys realize that you're starting to sound a lot like Red Bulls fans with this persistent whining about the location of your (future) stadium?

Posted by: WorldCitizen1 | February 18, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse