MLS News and Notes

*Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena addresses the David Beckham situation.

*The Galaxy has so far balked at the loan fee to acquire Honduran defender Osman Chavez from Platense. Chavez, 24, is currently with the national team for Wednesday's qualifier at Costa Rica. A move to MLS remains possible.

*Former D.C. United defender Gonzalo Martinez is weighing offers from Millonarios (one of his many former clubs) and another Colombian team. No MLS sides have made a serious offer to DCU for his rights.

*Former Duke forward Mike Grella, who skipped MLS and a likely selection in the first round of the draft to play overseas, is settling in with third-tier Leeds in England. Remember way back in 1997 when D.C. United hosted Leeds, five years removed from a first-division championship, in a friendly at RFK? Leeds' lineup that day included Nigel Martyn, Lee Sharpe and Lee Bowyer. (Tony Sanneh scored the late equalizer in a 1-1 tie.)

By Steve Goff  |  February 6, 2009; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  England , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Convey and Gambians

Comments

Yup, I was at that game. Not a big crowd but a fun game. Martyn let in a very soft goal by Sanneh. I remember his face afterwards!

Posted by: Hoost | February 6, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"one of his many former clubs"...

I guess that should have tipped us off, huh?

Posted by: fischy | February 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Any hints that DCU is talking to Chavez? I'll take your silence as confirmation of this....

Posted by: fischy | February 6, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

That was indeed a fun game. I can still hear the Leeds fans singing "We are Leeds. We are Leeds. We are Leeds." to a John Philip Sousa march (Stars and Stripes Forever, I think).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 6, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"MSL side Toronto were waiting in the wings to sign him" Maybe he'll help their efforts to return to first flight English football in the ELP...

Posted by: beergorila | February 6, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

""I've played in the States since I was three years old. I've played for university and national teams and once I finished my education I was keen on coming over to Europe."

"the States?" "keen?"

Blimey, Guv'nah! 'ow long 'as the lad been in England?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beergorila | February 6, 2009 3:31 PM

In fairness, no one says "EPL" in the UK. I'm pretty sure Lionel Bienvenue made that up.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 6, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

So basically, Arena addressed the issue ... and didn't say anything at all. Just what I would expect. I imagine it'll all get wrapped up in another week or so, but you know it's gotta be about money at this point. As in, how much is Milan going to have to pay to make it happen?

Posted by: Matte | February 6, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beergorila | February 6, 2009 3:31 PM

Posted by: Kev29 | February 6, 2009 3:48 PM

******************************

OMG!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 6, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Leeds match. I went with some freinds and some spanish exchange students. It was fun, but the games was a bit boring. I ticked off a drunk Leeds fan on the metro by chanting "boring, boring leeds" I guess they dont like that.
Good times!
I wish DCU would schedule more mid season freindlies like that again. Interlega games just are not as much fun as meaningless games vs leeds, newcastle, bayer leverkusen, celtic. Anyone I am forgetting? please remind me, I may been there, but have forgotten for various reasons.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 6, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

"A move to MLS remains possible."

I read that to mean that another team (presumably DC, since we've been mentioned as a team interested in him) is ready to swoop in on Chavez if LA balks at the loan fee.

Is that correct, Goff?

Posted by: jason1551 | February 7, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

As far as I know, Los Angeles is the only team interested in Chavez at this time.
DCU already signed Roger to play central defense. I doubt they are looking for another foreign back.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 7, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@Goff -- Thanks for the info. I was kidding about the silence=confirmation bit....

Posted by: fischy | February 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse