Poll: USA-Mexico

We've done this before, but on the eve of the showdown in Columbus, let's do it again.

By Steve Goff  |  February 10, 2009; 1:50 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Mexico , Poll , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Wins, 2-1
Next: Video: Robinho's Goal!

Comments

2-0 to the USA. Bocanegra with a header in the first half, Donovan with a breakaway counterattack goal in the 90th minute. In the meantime, the U.S. defense bends but never breaks under heavy Mexican pressure. Ugly but effective.

Posted by: SSMD1 | February 10, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I honestly think the US will win simply because they are a better team at this moment. Columbus, weather, etc are not the determining factors. Though, of course, I like our chances more up here and not in Azteca.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Well with the most recent performance between both national teams, I say USA 3 - MEX 1. Two goals by Donovan.
I also got
ELS 2 T&T 1
Costa Rica 2 Honduras 0

Posted by: RM27 | February 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Beside USA vs MEX, does anyone know if the other games will be televise?

Posted by: RM27 | February 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve - is the weather a serious factor? I just checked weather.com and it's supposed to be miserable - rain all night tonight and t-storms and 25-35mph winds. Is there a tarp covering the field and what type of conditions will force a postponement?

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 10, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I've got tickets to this thing. Is there a chance this won't be played out? It's a long drive out there if the game isn't going to be played Wednesday.

Posted by: davethelad | February 10, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Beside USA vs MEX, does anyone know if the other games will be televise?

Posted by: RM27 | February 10, 2009 2:13 PM

Doesn't look like it

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

0-0

Between the wind killing our route 1 attack and the sloppy pitch bogging down everything on the ground, this is an ugly one.

Nice try with the weather strategy, but this time it backfires and hurts the better team (us).

Posted by: benonthehill | February 10, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The weather should feel normal to our England/Scotland-based players.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The weather should feel normal to our England/Scotland-based players.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 2:46 PM

The benches are covered at most grounds these days.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

It would take A LOT for them to cancel this thing.

Posted by: arswift24 | February 10, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, well done Kev29. Bravo.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Check out this SBI post for a good listing of who's playing tomorrow and what's televised.

Posted by: silverrey | February 10, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

3-0 to the good guys.

Hat trick for Landycakes.

Posted by: RiverOtis | February 10, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Brazil just scored against Italy in their friendly, 13'ish.

Posted by: silverrey | February 10, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

AHHHH don't spoil. Not an important match but I want to watch regardless when I get home from work, please

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Have they ever cancelled before? I'm also going to the game, flying from BWI for $49 on SW.

Posted by: airbooth | February 10, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't read a general soccer blog (R)

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

My bad Zid. It'll be one worth watching!!

GO USA!!!! The field will be mush, but I see Dempsey pulling a move in the mud and popping it far post for the winner!

Posted by: silverrey | February 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

No worries. I can't stop thinking about US-Mexico so I can't stop refreshing this blog

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

No doubt! I haven't gotten any work done today. Too busy catching up on the blogs...

Posted by: silverrey | February 10, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hate to spoil the party, but this is the last blog you wanna be refreshing if you're trying not to be spoiled on match results. RK already warned ya.

Good question on tarps in Columbus. I would guess that they don't have any, but I'm basing that on the conditions I've witnessed at RFK...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Originally, I had 3-0 US, but if the weather as rainy and windy as they are predicting, all bets are off.

It's hard to play quality soccer in those conditions. 0-0.

Posted by: delantero | February 10, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

2:49 - Kev29 with cracking shot into the upper 90

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

C-bus used a tarp and I think some sort of field heating in 2001.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

They did just uncover the field for the last few days, so presumably they will re-cover for the rains during the day tomorrow.

Posted by: silverrey | February 10, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 3:48 PM

------------------------
Dude, it's a bad idea to base anything on conditions witnessed at RFK. Because at RFK, when it rains, it pours -- concrete chunks that is.

Besides, I'm not sure I'd trust Dad "420" Ryan as a witness to anything... ;-)

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 10, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I will guess an ugly 1-0 USA victory.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 10, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Rossi in vs. Brazil.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Rossi

May Gooch break you in June!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 10, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I get the argument that the conditions will hurt the US style. If anything, Bradley's conservative, direct way of playing is one of the only reasonable approaches to such a game. Heavy rains negate skillful play and often make set piece play the deciding factor. Don't both of those factors play into our hands?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 10, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Hevay rains make the game unpredictable - people fall down, the ball slips out of the keeper's hands, etc. I like our chances better in dry weather.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse