Saturday Kickaround

*USA midfielder Michael Bradley converts a 69th-minute penalty kick during Moenchengladbach's 2-1 loss at Hertha Berlin, USA midfielder Maurice Edu goes 90 in Glasgow Rangers' 1-0 victory at Hamilton, and USA goalkeeper Tim Howard registers a shutout in Everton's 2-0 triumph over West Brom.

*If you're looking to buy a home near D.C. United's new stadium, consider this.

*For another opinion on the stadium issue, read this letter to the editor. And for a perspective on the doomed Poplar Point plan, look here.

*The link to my complete Dejan Jakovic story.

*Reminder: United's friendly against the Maryland Terrapins on Sunday has been postponed until Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

*Former Norwegian star Hege Riise has been named a U.S. women's national team assistant coach.

*I have begun to use Twitter for instant updates. It will be fully implemented as the MLS season approaches. Join me!

By Steve Goff  |  February 28, 2009; 11:34 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Alcantara to San Jose?

Comments

Goff:

The link on the front page to the story on Jakovic actually takes one to the story on the stadium.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 28, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

ah, good catch

i have notified the technical folks

thanks!

here's the link:

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 28, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

At least Beas made the bench -- while Adu and Jozy made notinthe18.

Posted by: Reignking | February 28, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Great results for the Yanks abroad. Bradley is being offered the chance to take PKs? Shows a lot of confidence in the young man. Also, outstanding to hear that Edu was in the first team for the full 90. Dempsey played nearly the entire game for Fulham, and played pretty well. If you missed it -- he played a strong game with but two minor hiccups. He led an end-to-end break -- started it, and had the vision to sprint out for a return pass -- then he carried it most of the length of the field, but his pass wide at the box crossed up his mate as it was a bit behind. He also made a half-hearted challenge outside the box on an Arsenal player, who dribbled around and then passed to Arshavin at the edge of the six. Fortunately for Clint and Fulham, Arshavin's shot was not the best and was easily stopped by Schwartzer. I think Clint had run out of gas. He was subbed out soon after. Otherwise, Clint did a great job distributing the ball and getting himself into threatening positions. Class effort.

Posted by: fischy | February 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks as always.

Any inside word on the transfer fee paid for Jakovic?

Posted by: jpeace121 | February 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

great, another twitter feed I have to follow. look forward to it!

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

this makes it tougher, but i am still standing firm against the twitterification of America. i will still take my news in slightly larger than bite-size chunks.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 28, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else still planning on going Tuesday night? I'll be there for sure. The basketbal game isn't until 9:00 pm, so I don't expect parking to be much of an issue.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 28, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Agree with dimesmakedollars. Wait, too many characters.

yes 2 $0.10s>$$

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

good lord. Just say "NO" to twitter!

Posted by: fedssocr | February 28, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Reignking - You should at least wait until after Monaco plays to put Adu in the NotInThe18 category. Come back tomorrow, then you'll be good.

Posted by: bergamot | February 28, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Bergamot, Monaco has already released their 18 for tomorrow, and Adu isn't on it. There are plenty of people who post on this blog who have no idea what they are talking about, but Reignking is not one of them.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 28, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think the photo accompanying Goff's Jankovic article is kind of strange? It looks like he's about 5 feet up in the air and about to administer a cleating to some dude's face!

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 28, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Who in their right mind would ever want to live in Prince George's County?

Posted by: BarraBrava10 | February 28, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Come on, dude, Prince George's County is fine. There are parts to avoid and parts to embrace -- just like any other local jurisdiction.

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 1, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I really should start that web site, SDM, but I'm afraid it would take too much time to update.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Steve, you're a brother-in-sport to me, but I have vowed to myself that I will not twitter. Once I figure out what it is.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 1, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm OK with Steve Twittering, as long as it doesn't take away from this Blog.

...Which is a sentence that would have made no sense a few years ago.

I think I spend enough time on Insider (a lot) without adding another timesink.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

wowza, what's up with all the freaking luddites on this here blog? just download twitterific to your iphone and deal. sheesh. just think of it as a constant liveblog.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Luddite? Not me. I have an all-in-one fax, a Walk Man and a CB radio. I'm up to speed.

As for twittering... no, I have too many books I still need to read. Working on "Ghost Wars" right now.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 1, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Only one ignorant PG county post. I'm impressed.

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | March 1, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Jeez I wonder how the players on the 95 team feel about Riise as a US WNT coach. Seems kind of like Blanco signing on to coach the US MNT.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 2, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone hold a 14-year grudge against Hege Riise?

Riise = Blanco? Seriously?

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 2, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone hold a 14-year grudge against Hege Riise?

===============

Because of the 95 post game. Maybe they do maybe they don't and maybe it doesn't and shouldn't matter even if they do. It was my first thought though. But I'm immature.

Yeah the Blanco analogy is deeply flawed, there is no female equivalent and I am thankful for that. But perhaps it is analogous to hiring a Mexican coach for the MNT.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse