Serioux, Ferreira, Terps

*The trade the Insider has been telling you about was formally announced: Canadian defender Adrian Serioux from FC Dallas to Toronto FC for a first-round draft pick and allocation money. As you may recall, TFC claimed Serioux, 29, in the expansion draft two years ago, but traded him to Dallas the same day for Irish midfielder Ronnie O'Brien.

*Dallas also announced the acquisition of Colombian national team midfielder-forward David Ferreira, on loan from Brazilian partner Paranaense. Ferreira, 29, will join the club for training this week in Brazil. "Not only is he a gifted, talented central midfielder, but he has also played many times at second forward," FCD Coach Schellas Hyndman said of the 5-foot-5, 145-pound player. "He is an all-around team player, plays on both sides of the ball, is very technical, has great vision, and we're hoping he can raise us to a new level."

*In addition to Sunday's friendly with D.C. United at Ludwig Field, the NCAA champion Maryland Terrapins announced that they will play spring exhibitions at home against the Rochester Rhinos on April 1 (7:30) and Wake Forest on April 17 (4 p.m.) and on the road against Creighton on April 26 and Massachusetts on May 1. The Wake game will also serve as a fundraiser for the Kicks Against Breast Cancer campaign. Coach Sasho Cirovski is tentatively planning to announce his fall-of-2009 recruiting class later this week.

By Steve Goff  |  February 24, 2009; 12:17 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Video: Making a List

Comments

It's too bad collegiate soccer can't have a fall and spring season -- apertura and clausura-like.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Will the Rhinos bring merchandise? Gotta score some Rhinos swag....

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff - how come the Post football people have a contest for best posts, per today's sports section, but you don't? Give me a reason and I might actually say something insightful for a change.

Posted by: regularfan | February 24, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

5-foot-5, 145? Did they get duped into signing Franco Niell under a pseudonym?

Posted by: Str8Red | February 24, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

David Ferreira : FCD :: Franco Niell : DCU? Only time will tell.

Posted by: Modibo | February 24, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Will the Rhinos bring merchandise? Gotta score some Rhinos swag....

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2009 1:05 PM
-------------------------------------------
Probably not but if they do then you will get two chances to see them in the Freestate: They play Crystal Palace Baltimore at UMBC of Friday April 3rd.

I love cheering against the Rhinos. I wish that they would bring Soccer Sam's behind with them so that I could grill him...

Posted by: yankiboy | February 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Inter Milan vs Man Utd about to kick off... ESPN2

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 24, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Glad I started Juninho...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

some reason I'd be getting an *access denied* when trying to pull up rojadirecta.com? Still have a Barca/Lyon stream running but I can't even get back to the site to check in on the other matches...:-(

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Goodness Gracious! Anyone see Henry's equalizer? Yeehaw!
Two sick matches going on, but I'l always take a couple goals over none... Come on Inter!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Is the hierarchy in American soccer such that a USL team travels for a friendly against a college team? I know MD are NCAA champs and all, but...

You may now start the comments about the Red Bulls traveling for a friendly against Joe doc's daughter's team.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure there are NCAA rules about teams traveling to play pro teams.

Posted by: alecw81 | February 24, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OK. That would explain it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse