Signs of Freedom

The Washington Freedom has signed its top two international draft picks: Japanese star midfielder Homare Sawa and French national team left back Sonia Bompastor.

Sawa, 30, is a two-time Asian player of the year who played for Atlanta in the WUSA. Bompastor, 28, is France's captain and has 100 caps.

The Freedom will open training camp March 2 at Maryland SoccerPlex in Montgomery County. The season opener is March 29 at Los Angeles.

A D.C. United contact tells the Insider that negotiations continue to stage two or three United-Freedom doubleheaders at RFK Stadium this year.

By Steve Goff  |  February 20, 2009; 2:26 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Kid Has Mad Skills
Next: Brawl, Brazilian Style

Comments

Thinking of taking my daughter to one of the Freedom training camp sessions, assuming they're open.

OWNTF, any details on this?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 20, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

No details on training.

I think there is an exhibition 3/14 at the Plex against Sky Blue (O'Reilly, Kai, Rampone) at which time the national players should be back. I believe Sky Blue will have above coming off US duty at Algarve and 2 or 3 more besides. Freedom will have none.

There's an interesting contrast in coaching/management theories about to unfold (well, OK, interesting to me). Freedom by-passed some pretty well-regarded players in order to draft and sign players familiar with their system of play. We'll see how it works out.

Mr. Goff, any word on Krieger?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 20, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

PS -- speed cameras on the entry roads to the Plex now, be aware.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I played drop-in soccer at Soccerplex today, and when I came in about 12:30 it seemed that some Freedom players were just leaving after a workout.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 20, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey folks, any word on a live feed for the DCU/PR match tomorrow? Suppose this could go in the weekend tv listing thread but thought I might get more attention here.
Just curious as USL does pretty well with their live feeds...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 20, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm especially looking forward to the doubleheaders.

Posted by: sitruc | February 20, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

30 days until United's first home match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 20, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Curious99: Thanks for counting. Isn't it 36 days for the home game?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 20, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the news, Mr. G. If Sawa at 30 is anything like Sawa at 24, that's a great addition.

Posted by: StevanF | February 20, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFootball:

My bad. Guess I'm just over anxious.

29 days till United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 21, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Speed cameras are both on the way in, and on the way the way out, of the Soccerplex on Schaeffer Road just before entering/after exiting the circle in front of the entrance road.

MR Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | February 21, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm especially looking forward to the doubleheaders.

Posted by: sitruc | February 20, 2009 6:53 PM
----------

LOL at sitruc's tongue-in-cheek comment.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 21, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse