Thursday Kickaround

*D.C. United begins its preseason schedule at 2 p.m. today against Danish club Vejle in Bradenton, Fla. With an emphasis on fitness and conditioning at training camp, Coach Tom Soehn says his regulars won't play much in this friendly or next Tuesday's game against MLS Cup champion Columbus. Mawale Ange N'Silu, a French forward with roots in the Republic of Congo, has begun a trial.

*A German publication suggests that former DCU coach Peter Nowak, now a USA assistant, should be considered for the 1860 Munich job. Nowak tells the Insider that the club's new sporting director, Micky Stevic, was his teammate at Dynamo Dresden and 1860. However, don't expect Nowak to leave the USA position anytime soon.

*Mexico will play a friendly against Bolivia on March 11 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park outside Denver.

*American Abroad:
GK Brad Guzan 90 minutes in Aston Villa's 3-1 FA Cup win over Doncaster
GK Tim Howard 120 in Everton's 1-0 FA Cup win over Liverpool
MF Jose Torres 90 in Pachuca's 2-1 Copa Libertadores win over Universidad de Chile
MF DaMarcus Beasley 45 (goal) in Glasgow Rangers' 2-2 friendly tie with AC Milan
MF Maurice Edu 75 in Glasgow Rangers' 2-2 friendly tie with AC Milan

*Soccer on TV:
Netherlands, PSV-Den Haag 2 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Spanish Cup, Barcelona-Mallorca 3:30 p.m. GolTV
Copa Libertadores, Nacional (Paraguay)-El Nacional (Ecuador) 6 p.m. Fox Espanol

*Buckeye Barometer
(Countdown to Wednesday's USA-Mexico qualifier in Columbus)
Today: 18-21 degrees, partly cloudy
Tomorrow: 33-39 degrees, partly cloudy
Saturday: 33-38 degrees, windy
Feb. 11: 41-54 degrees, rain

*Video of Pachuca's ill-tempered victory:

By Steve Goff  |  February 5, 2009; 10:03 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Libertadores , Mexico , TV , U.S. men's national team , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beckham's Next Move
Next: USA Women's Roster

Comments

Nice to see and Americans Abroad report without "not in the 18" and "did not play."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 5, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

What the?? Its going to be balmy in Columbus on the 11th, not what I was hoping for.

Posted by: rockotodd | February 5, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Torres is going to play a large part in the US vs Mexico game on Weds.

Posted by: strago | February 5, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted this in the last thread.
UEFA says Donovan is eligible to play in Champions League.
I know VBB was saying he's not on the roster but...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 5, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@VBB just saw the reply in the last thread...
Sounds like Troy's got a hot CL ticket, you got a camera on your phone? I want my Donovan Cam!;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 5, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

hey, you book a match because of the weather, you're going to look silly sometimes. so instead of selling many more tickets in a larger stadium, we counted on the cold. oops. that 54 degrees is really going to spook the Mexicans who play in Europe in the winter, isn't it?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 5, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I also know that FiOS has Setanta - but they just can't roll that stuff out fast enough.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 5, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Sure weather was factor, but more important is home field advantage...

Posted by: Barracudas | February 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

50 and rainy?! So much for all those theories, USSF, now it's all about the game.

----------Howard-----------
--Stevie/Wynne, Gooch, Boca, Pearce/Hejduk-
-----------Klestjan, Bradley,
------Dempsey---------"El Gringo" Torres--
------------Donovan, Ching

Posted by: delantero | February 5, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Can't shake the bad feeling about this one. Hate to say it but my gut is telling me USA goes down 1-0 in the rain.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 5, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The USSF's goal regarding playing Mexico in Columbus is to win the game. Playing here in Sept. of '05 wasn't exactly a weather-related decision. In '01 maybe we needed cold temps to help get into Mexico's collective head. Now, I think that is better accomplished by memories of all those consecutive losses on American soil. Anyway, it was 2 degrees here this morning. I, for one, wouldn't be too disappointed with something a bit warmer.

Posted by: DouginCMH | February 5, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

delantro:

Here's how I would go:

Ching - Donovan
Torres - Bradley - Kljestan - Dempsey
Pearce - Gooch - Boca - Hedjuk
Howard

Posted by: strago | February 5, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DouginCMH | February 5, 2009 10:51 AM

------------------------------------------

If I recall correctly, it was a really nice day in 05. The cold weather possibility is just a bonus. You are exactly right - the demons and the ability to control tickets better are the real important things for CCS.

Posted by: beach3 | February 5, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Cherundolo is now officially confirmed by Hannover to be out for the game.
So who now? I guess it's gotta be Hejduk because Wynne's just not there yet, IMO.

Posted by: bencamino | February 5, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan |
-------------------------
I can post on the Insider with my blackberry, but I don't have a camera phone! I'm such a luddite I wouldn't know where to send the photos even if I took them. Gotta think a Bayern CL game will at least be on the internet, though. I'll be the one with the US flag getting beaten up by both Portuguese and German fans.

And for the WNT fans, they have Algarve Cup games March 4, 6, and 9 against the Scandinavian trio (Denmark, Iceland, and Norway); plus hopefully the finals on March 11.

Posted by: troy6 | February 5, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

While Donovan may be eligible to play, Klinnsman has said he will be used in Bundesliga and League Cup matches.

Posted by: TCompton | February 5, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca's 2-1 victory was a victory in name only as they lost on the away goals tiebreaker rule. They lost the first leg 1-0 in Santiago.

No Libertadores Group stage for them.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 5, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

As far as weather goes it was 2 degrees Celsius in Pachuca last night (mid 30s F) so a mild night in Columbus might not be too different.

It's mostly psychological and the Mexicans will be arriving several days early to train in the cold so it shouldn't really be a factor.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | February 5, 2009 11:54 AM
=============================
Ha!Ha! Even if Donovan doesn't play, it sounds like a blast, internet feeds abound no doubt...Next to building a great bond with my kid, the CL video feeds are one of my favorite parts about being a SAHD.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 5, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Great to see Beasley score against AC Milan, even if it is a friendly. Hopefully this will help push up his stock and confidence.

Also, Horray for La U de Chile! Soy amigo de Los de Abajo