Tuesday Kickaround

*D.C. United uniform number update, courtesy of the club's blog:
Christian Gomez 10
Andrew Jacobson 8
Rodney Wallace 22
Chris Pontius 13
Ryan Miller 2
Ange N'Silu 9 (whatever happened to that Freddy kid, anyway)

*Awaiting the official announcement of the Dallas-Toronto trade you read about here exclusively yesterday: Adrian Serioux to TFC for a draft pick and allocation money.

*Americans abroad yesterday:
GK Luis Robles 90 minutes in Kaiserslautern's 2-0 loss at St. Pauli

*Americans abroad today:
MF Clint Dempsey and Fulham vs. Swansea City in FA Cup

*Soccer on TV top matches:
Euro Champions League, Inter Milan-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. ESPN2
CONCACAF Champions League, Houston-Atlante 10 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel (Preview here)

The CONCACAF quarterfinal first legs continue tomorrow with Montreal hosting Santos Laguna and Pumas visiting Cruz Azul. On Thursday, Puerto Rico welcomes Marathon. Which brings us to this poll question:

By Steve Goff  |  February 24, 2009; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , Poll , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA U-20 Roster Set
Next: Serioux, Ferreira, Terps

Comments

Does the Inter Milan v Man U winner play against Puerto Rico Islanders or Houston next?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 24, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, you can't be Serioux.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 24, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Islander? Just met 'er....

Posted by: 22206no1 | February 24, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Islander? Groan.

Reminds me of the Jamaica joke...

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Chaaaaaammpioooons!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Why does Miller want a central defender number?

I'm torn about Houston in this tournament. As a foe, I only want them to win if it somehow benefits DC United, all other games should be losses or ties. I suppose I should root for them in this so they are too tired and pre-occupied to do well in MLS other than beating up on the Galaxitives.
I can support Needham and Addlery and root for PR :-)

Posted by: dcufan | February 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It's interesting to see who has benefited from the switch to the Champions League, and it's really not all that surprising.

in the 08/09 Champions League elimination round there are:

4 Mexican clubs
1 US club
1 Caribbean club
1 Canadian club
1 Honduran club

in the 08 Champions Cup tournament there were:

2 Mexican clubs
2 US clubs
1 Guatemalan club
1 Costa Rican club
1 Honduran club
1 Jamaican club

Does this tell us anything we didn't already know... that FMF far and above the top league in CONCACAF?

Here's another poll question?

How many Mexican clubs will advance to the CCL final?

a. 0
b. 1
c. 2

Posted by: TCompton | February 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Temperature in Montreal this morning: 14 degrees Fahrenheit, -10 Celsius. Let's hear it for home field advantage.

Posted by: SSMD1 | February 24, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"How many Mexican clubs will advance to the CCL final?"

c. 2 But they'll each have 3 regular starters suspended for red cards and, by halftime, each side will be down to 9 men.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Nice little update on Spector on the Hammers site.

Posted by: Beckster1 | February 24, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Montreal game is indoors at the Olympic Stadium, sadly. But they have sold something like 50,000 tickets. Can we please get an MLS team there?

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 24, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow, they've covered it?

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Zid: No, because Joey Saputo is an idiot.

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's permanently covered now. The U-20 world cup was there in 2007, indoors and on field turf

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Ange N'Silu 9 (whatever happened to that Freddy kid, anyway)"
---------------

Fitting, since I'm wearing my replica of Freddy's jersey at work today.... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Yes Reign, its covered now. It only took them 30 years to do it, but its covered. :)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know the Olympic Stadium was still standing, let alone covered! Have they really sold 50k tickets??

Posted by: Kev29 | February 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"

(Pardon my French)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Ange N'Silu - this is like a name out of a Robert Jordan book.

Anybody have an idea how to say this correctly? Silent "e"? Hard "g"?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 24, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I guess you folks aren't baseball fans. Olympic Stadium was covered for years while the Expos played there. They had trouble with the retracting roof for a time, and finally put in a permanent roof. It took about a dozen years to get a roof there -- not 30.

@beckster -- thanks for the Spector link. I was intrigued by Goff's report that he played. That seemed to understate his impact. The lone assist, and nearly another, on crosses. He's still so young that he has much room to grow. We shouldn't forget him with future national squads. Can we count on you to pester Goffinho for Spector updates, in the future?

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm a baseball fan. I just don't watch it.m Especially when such as awful team is playing...

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

For the 1992 season, it was decided to keep the roof closed at all times. The Kevlar roof was removed in May 1998, making the stadium open-air for the 1998 season. Later in 1998, a $26 million opaque blue roof was installed which does not open.

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

This round of expansion: Portland, and either Miami, St. Louis or Vancouver. Next round of expansion -- New York and Montreal, who would be the front-runners now, if they were in the bidding...

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

After Freddy was offed to RSL, DCU wouldn't assign the #9 to anyone, not even back to Jaime, because Soehn and Kasper wanted to save it for a "big-time" player. Ange N'Silu? I guess that plan, like so many others offered by this technical staff, is on the scrap heap.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 24, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd go Vancouver and St. Louis this time. And Montreal with Brooklyn or Portland next time. That's just my preference though, not my predication.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 24, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say stadium and baseball?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

From Stainberg's Q&A:

Washington, D.C.: Dan - who is the best Washington Post beat writer?

Dan Steinberg: Wow. Now this could definitely earn me some enemies.

Can I slightly avoid the question and instead ask another one: what Washington Post beat writer has done the most admirable job of building a massive blog community based on the presumed size of his team's fan base? Steven Goff, hands down, game over. Goff's blog traffic battles with the biggest of big boys on our site, and that's not what you would necessarily guess from something focused on D.C. United. He's dedicated to the online world, plugged in with the team, and he knows the sort of major (and minor) details that fans want to know.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

hear hear

Posted by: Kev29 | February 24, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll save everyone 3 seconds of googling by posting this link -- seems a good explanation of the significance of jersey numbers. Apologies as usual if everyone else knows all this already. Many examples from DCU on the list.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 24, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Goff rocks. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I would pay money to read this blog.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 24, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I hate Houston. Anybody else want Houston to get their arses kicked? The only teams I can get behind are Puerto Rico and Montreal.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 24, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

No! MLS needs to make a statement.

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually, and this might be heresy on this here blog, I want the Dynamo to represent well in CONCACAF. An MLS team doing well in the confederation raises the whole league.

I plan to listen to the game on streaming audio, too -- here:

As I recall, the PxP guy is low key but good.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 24, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

All I'm sayin is don't sleep on Puerto Rico Islanders FC. I wish Houston and & Montreal (who I normaly root against) the best in this tournament.

Even with Santos Laguna and Atlante slumping, the chances of the Dynamo and Impact of getting a good result down South are going to be really difficult. Not impossible, just very, very difficult.

Puerto Rico got the most favorable of the draws. Marathon is a great club. Right now they have a lot of injured players.

If Islanders can get 3 points in Bayamon then I really think that another upset could be in the making. Islanders played well in Costa Rica and Guatemala. Santos did blow us out but Hansen getting sent off in the 64th minute or so after a failed bicycle kick hit one of Santos' players really complicated the situation.

In General Colin Clarke and the Orange Troop I trust...

If we take 3 at Loubriel, even if it is just 1-0, we will have a really good chance.

Marathon is a tough club but we just may be getting them at a really good time...

At this point, the USL clubs--any additional success whatsoever--even if it is winning their homelegs or a draw on the road--it's a huge accomplishment. The rest as we like to say here in the PG--"it's all gravy..."

Posted by: yankiboy | February 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I hear you on raising the profile but does it really matter? MLS will still get invited. If everybody thinks the MLS sucks, they might take DC United lightly. It's a hard call...I hate to see Mexican teams advance but I feel jealous if Houston advances.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 24, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

So, for you, it is alright as long as you show up, not how well you do? Are you a Red Bulls fan?

Posted by: Reignking | February 24, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

No DC UNITED only!!! Any other MLS team I can't passionatly root for. It's like when the Redskins don't make the playoffs, I don't want NFC East teams (Cowboys, Giants, Eagles ect) to win. GTG to work.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 24, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope someone on the Dynamo jumps up for a header and ends up coming down on that punk Vilar's testicles this evening. Win, lose, or draw, that would make my day!
I'll root for PR as well but I have some how come to HATE Atlante. I actually look at dudes rocking those jerseys nearly the same way I look at all the D-Bags rocking Dallas Cowboys jerseys in the DC area... go figure...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Ange N'Silu 9 (whatever happened to that Freddy kid, anyway)
==============================

I guess just being in the 18 before you're 18 is not enough to have your jersey retired these days. What number was Convey anyway?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 24, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

================

Boy that team stunk. What ever happened to them?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 24, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Man United should be up by at least a goal or two. Great goalkeeping by Cesar.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 24, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

What number was Convey anyway?

=============================

His number, if I'm not mistaken, was 15. I think that is how old he was when entered the league. I could be making that up.
\ Nevermind.