Tuesday Kickaround

*Here's the link to my Zach Wells story. From what I hear, the chances of him returning to MLS are slim. The foot injury was a factor, but he really just wants to do something else. Life's next adventure awaits.

*Defender Lyle Adams, D.C. United's other second-round pick besides goalkeeper Milos Kocic, has moved from Austria to FC Schaffhausen in Switzerland's second division in search of a European contract.

*Houston midfielder Stuart Holden has withdrawn from USA training camp with a strained hip flexor and will not be available for the World Cup qualifier against Mexico next Wednesday.

*Reps for USA midfielder DaMarcus Beasley, who has fallen out of favor at Glasgow Rangers, were trying to get him moved to Bundesliga club Schalke before the transfer deadline, but a deal couldn't be reached.

*USA defender Steve Cherundolo (Hanover) has been slowed by a hip injury and might not be ready for the Mexico match. If he's not available, who plays right back? Frankie Hejduk?

*Americans abroad on Monday: Goalkeeper Luis Robles started and played 90 in Kaiserslautern's 1-1 tie with Mainz.

*No one received a large enough percentage of votes to earn election into the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame from the builder and veteran player categories. Bruce Arena (47.8) and Kyle Rote Jr. (44.6) were closest to reaching the 50 percent threshold. Hall President Steve Baumann said the organization will "dig into the results and voting patterns to determine if we have a process that best serves soccer in the United States."

*Soccer on TV Tuesday:
England FA Cup replay, Arsenal-Cardiff City 2:45 p.m. Setanta
Copa Libertadores, Independiente-Medellin 6 p.m. Fox Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Cuenca-Anzoategui 8:30 p.m. Fox Espanol

*Buckeye Barometer
(Countdown to USA-Mexico qualifier Feb. 11 in Columbus)
Today: 16-25 degrees, snow shower
Tomorrow: 10-18 degrees, snow shower
Thursday: 21-24 degrees, partly cloudy
Feb. 11: 31-38 degrees, rain possible

*Serie B, Livorno 5, Mantova 2. While the fourth Livorno goal (at 3:05 on the video) is a gem, their final one (at 3:25) is a muddy howler:

By Steve Goff  |  February 3, 2009; 9:10 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Italy , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-T&T in Nashville
Next: Looking Ahead to Gold Cup

Comments

Steve - FYI - Gunners and Cardiff FA Cup Replay has been moved to February 16. Apparently Londoners deal as well with Snow as those in the Southeast of the US.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 3, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

So, for DMB, it's either sit on the bench until the summer, or move to MLS, which has a longer transfer window, is that correct?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller....?

Posted by: JkR- | February 3, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Why on earth would anyone consider snubbing MLS to play in the Swiss second division? It's an inferior side, and I can't imagine that you'll attract a lot of attention logging minutes for the 10th best team in the 2nd division of maybe the 11th best European footballing country. Is the money better? Does he think that he can't make DCU's roster? Help me out here, Goff.

Posted by: jsm91 | February 3, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Like the US Nats, El Tri are already in training camp for the game in Columbus next week. They might have an advantage in that they rely less on foreign-based players than the US men do. They have significant Euro-based players in
Rafa Marquez, Nery Castillo, Omar Bravo, Guille Franco, Ricardo Osorio and Carlos Salcido (Guardado is supposed to be unavailable w injury). But El Tri could still field a decent side (although the attack might be anemic) with their domestic based players.

I think the US players currently in camp are significantly weaker than the Mexican campers. So quickly incorporating the "Yanks Abroad" will be crucial if a full-bore effort is expected in Columbus next Wednesday.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 3, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Adams is pursuing a deal abroad because he wants to live and work in Europe -- the dream of many 22-year-old Americans, regardless of profession.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 3, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Exactly-- jsm91, you obviously haven't ever been to Switzerland. I'm still not sure why I left a few years ago. Most beautiful country in the world.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | February 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It's my dream to live in Europe too :P Can't fault a guy for that, Switzerland is beautiful.

Posted by: strago | February 3, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

And Cam Weaver is back...Andrew Jacobsen is back...I love Europe, too, and have lived there; playing for these second-tier leagues and clubs isn't furthering your career 98% of the time, seemingly.

Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Goff (and OhBoyOhBoy) for the explanation. I guess if someone had offered me a job in Switzerland when I was 22, I would have jumped at it.

I hope he makes it. Honestly; if he can't make the roster of a mediocre Swiss second division club, then I don't want him playing for DCU.

Posted by: jsm91 | February 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

**http://www.schaffhauserland.ch/en/welcome.cfm

Hmm . . . . Greenbelt, Schaffhausen, Schaffhausen, Greenbelt . . . . I guess he must not "love the badge"

Plus he plays in the "Challenge League" -- that sounds nice. I think the local over-40 leagues should change to that . . . . and O-50 can be "Extreme Challenge" which would make all the players "extreme athletes"

Posted by: OWNTF | February 3, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | February 3, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Will someone please explain to me how Bruce Arena does NOT get into the Hall of Fame? I don't understand.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | February 3, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Watch out for the Swiss! Sorry, that was a cheesy joke.
(now dodging the tomatoes)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Count me among the incredulous about Arena's non-election. What else does he have to do to be a first ballot HoFer?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Well, Arena's a pretty abrasive guy. Depending who the voters are that could be working against him.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Steve Baumann!?! Haven't heard that name since he taught me in 2nd grade at Kings Park Elementary in Burke!!

He was a former Miami Toros player who I came with me to my a couple of my "Select/"Travel Team" practices . . . I felt like THE man . . .

This was back in the day when Northern Virginia had "house" league and ONE division of "select/travel"

Posted by: delantero | February 3, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Road Trip! Good for Wells. I just hope United doesn't end up paying the kid Kocic too much.
Beasley's situation sounds lame. Maybe he should drive home too...

Looks like Sacha heard what everyone was saying about his hair.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 3, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

On Arena -- must be the influence of internet hacks who just tear down accomplished folks like Arena.

Seriously -- forget what he did at U.Va and D.C. United, which probably should be enough to get to the Hall -- the US run in the '02 Cup should qualify him for the Hall.

As for Rote, Jr., it's a bit more complicated. The best player of his era, but that's not saying so much...

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Kyle Rote Jr. was the first savior of American Soccer, before Claudio Reyna, Landon Donovan, Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore and... ummm... who am I forgetting?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think Zach Wells should reconsider retiring. He's young, he's got potential, and he's making a pretty decent salary. In this economic environment, its just good to be employed at all!

If Wells leaves, does he have another job lined up? It would be better to stick with soccer, have a job and do something you love rather than trying to get another job in this horrific job market.

Posted by: Eugene7 | February 3, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Watch out for the Swiss! Sorry, that was a cheesy joke.
(now dodging the tomatoes)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 10:17 AM

That was hole-y unacceptable.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 3, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Those jokes would've been better -- if you had worked on your timing.

Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2009 10:31 AM
__________________________________________

A very good case could be made that if it weren't for the people of Rote's (and Baumann's)generation, we wouldn't be here talking about Arena and WC '02 today. And by your logic, just about no American who played before about 1985 should be in the Hall. That would make for a very strange experience for visitors to Oneonta.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 3, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Still, abrasive or not that is just completely ridiculous about Arena. The most successful coach at all three of the most important levels of American soccer - NCAA, MLS, MNT - and he's not worthy of the HOF? I would think he'd be worthy if he had been the best coach in ANY of those three levels, let alone ALL three. If he's not worthy, then I guess coaches just don't get in, because no one would deserve to go in for coaching more than he does.

Posted by: mvk20 | February 3, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Hell, Kyle Rote Jr. won "The Superstars" three times in the Seventies, as well as being "the next great American soccer star"...that ought to get him into a Hall of Fame somewhere.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 3, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Watch out for the Swiss! Sorry, that was a cheesy joke.
(now dodging the tomatoes)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 10:17 AM

That was hole-y unacceptable.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 3, 2009 10:53 AM

Come on guys, play knife.

Posted by: Section117 | February 3, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I wondered just who was keeping Arena out. As it turns out, he only got one more vote than did Bob Gansler:

Posted by: universityandpark | February 3, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Arena takes the US within inches of the last 4 in the World Cup and isn't elected into the Hall of Fame? What a joke.

And to those who haven't been to Switzerland, don't knock it. An absolutely stunning country in terms of it's beauty and the money is probably substantially better than a lower level MLS contract.

Posted by: thamlin | February 3, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Section117, please tell me that you regretted hitting the Submit button.

Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It was either that or a Swatch reference.

Posted by: Section117 | February 3, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Adams likes the chants of the Swiss fans instead of the Barra.

"Reeeeeeeeee-cooooooooo-laaaaaaaaaaa"

Posted by: IamAM | February 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Section117, please tell me that you regretted hitting the Submit button.
Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2009 11:35 AM
==============

That was cutting edge humor.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It was either that or a Swatch reference.

Posted by: Section117 | February 3, 2009 11:42 AM

I already mentioned timing! That's another Swiss miss.

Posted by: Reignking | February 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 10:36 AM
Johan Kiroskvi...
Jamar Beasley...

Posted by: yankiboy | February 3, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Also on Rote Jr--I think the fact that he seperated himself from the game has hurt the feelings of some of the voters or simply moved him off the radar. His sports agency reportedly doesn't even represent any soccer players.

All I know is that Dude was in tv commercials. What other US Soccer star had commercials back in the day (I'm talking before Caliguri's dreamy Pert commercial).

Rote gets my vote!

Posted by: yankiboy | February 3, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I had a Kyle Rote Jr. signature soccer ball. It was a cheap piece of crap - a glorified vinyl balloon. No stitching, no panels. The hexagons and pentagons were printed on the surface.

But I would have voted for him in spite of that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

That was cutting edge humor.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 12:23 PM

I knew all the references would start Toblerone down.

Posted by: Section117 | February 3, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, the Caliguri hair reference, as discussed on a thread here not long ago, is the reason Sacha needed to keep that hair. He doesn't look as skinny now, though, credit him that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 3, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Re: U.S. Right back--not Frankie, gotta put Marvell Wynne in there. With Gooch and Boca in the middle, there are experienced defenders to cover any rookie mistakes. The Mexicans will not know what do with a player of Wynne's speed and closing ability.

For all the haters that are going to respond "what about the blown marking on the Swede's first goal?" Hey everyone makes mistakes and if you look later at the second Swedish goal, Wynne was a lot closer and the Swede had to work to get his cross in.

Hejduk is a good player, but Wynne is the future and needs the minutes.

Posted by: MattJohnston1 | February 3, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse