Tuesday Kickaround

*The big man from Belgium, USA defender Oguchi Onyewu, on his Standard Liege status: "There were rumors all over the place about where I might go, but I knew I wasn't going to leave in the winter window. My team wouldn't let me go and I accepted that very early on. Right now, I am just focused on getting a second title. At the end of the season, I am out of contract and a free agent, so I will be free to go where I want. We'll see."

*He wasn't chosen for the USA squad to face Mexico, so defender Michael Parkhurst started for Danish club Nordsjaelland in a 1-0 friendly loss to Halmstad today.

*The supporters' demographics for tomorrow's USA-Mexico qualifier: 43 states and the District of Columbia will be represented in the stands.

*The Associated Press sports columnist take a clever stab at the David Beckham situation.

*Soccer on TV today:
Friendly, Brazil-Italy in London 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
(For a quick preview, click here)

*Buckeye Barometer
(Countdown to Wednesday's qualifier in Columbus)
Today: High of 60 degrees, rain, windy
Tonight: Low of 52 degrees, chance of rain
Tomorrow: High of 59 degrees, 1 inch of rain possible, 25-35 mph winds
Tomorrow night: Low of 49 during the game, rain likely, windy

By Steve Goff  |  February 10, 2009; 8:44 AM ET
Categories:  Beckham , Brazil , Italy , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News and Notes
Next: United Wins, 2-1

Comments

That's a lot of rain.

Posted by: sitruc | February 10, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Boycott Blockbuster!!!

Mexico paper launches voodoo promo against US team

MEXICO CITY (AP)—A Mexican newspaper began encouraging soccer fans to cast a voodoo hex on the United States ahead of Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier in Columbus, Ohio.

Readers of the Record could trade in coupons for voodoo-doll likenesses of U.S. players at BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO STORES in Mexico City on Friday. Fans were instructed to use the doll to wish for a Mexico goal.

“Hold a needle firmly between your thumb and index finger and prick slowly the part of the doll where you want to affect the opponent,” the instructions say. The back of the doll’s jersey read, “Gringos.”

Record calls the dolls Mexico’s “secret weapon.”

Posted by: delantero | February 10, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Blockbuster? I had no idea they were still in business!

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that AP/Beckham link Steve - that was a good take on the situation.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone recommend a bar in DC/Arlington/Alexandria that's sure to host a pro-US crowd for tomorrow night's match? I'd like to watch it in a lively pro-US atmosphere.

Posted by: DCity | February 10, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the late fees are for not returning the voodoo doll on time.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

DCity: Momo's on U St will be hosting United's official watch party. Should be fun.

Also, Summers and Kitty O'Shea's in Arlington should have a decent amount of US fans.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Summers Restaurant in Arlington (Courthouse) is always a good soccer hangout.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 10, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I hope there was a smiley hidden somewhere in the "boycott Blockbuster" comment. I think the Voodoo dolls are pretty funny, myself.

Posted by: glfrazier | February 10, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Ha Ha. Mexican fans play with dolls.

Here in the States, we'd call them action figures.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | February 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I-270:

If not returned on time, the voodoo doll will morph into Chucky and turn the needle on you!

Just based on the weather forecast, the match looks like a 0-0 draw to me.

Posted by: BaltoFan | February 10, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Soccer America reports that Alexi Lalas has signed a one-year contract with Disney. Tonight he will be in the BSPN studios in Bristol, CT. What he will be doing the rest of the year (e.g., in connection with MLS telecasts) is still unclear.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Stomping Mexico tomorrow is the only thing on my mind.

I need the 6 months of gloating!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 10, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"The supporters' demographics for tomorrow's USA-Mexico qualifier: 43 states and the District of Columbia will be represented in the stands"

I knew about DC, but I didn't know that Mexican Nationals live in that many states.
:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Soccer America reports that Alexi Lalas has signed a one-year contract with Disney."

One-year contract? I thought the guy dressed as Goofy is paid by the hour.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

That was a great feature on Fred, Steve. Thanks.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 10, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

One-year contract? I thought the guy dressed as Goofy is paid by the hour.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:57 AM

ZING!

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, Parkhurst has made a good first impression with FCN, pretty much stepping in like he did at a rookie in New England and contributing immediately. It may not be a big club, but at this point, they seem quite happy with Parky.

Posted by: evan_whitney | February 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

One-year contract? I thought the guy dressed as Goofy is paid by the hour.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:57 AM

Boom Roasted!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 10, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Don't know for sure about atmosphere but there's a relatively new British-y bar/pub in Ballston mall next to the Rockbottom Brewery. They have a bunch of football flags hanging up there so I assume they will likely have the match on the teevee there.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 9:55 AM
__________________________________________

Perhaps they are counting the states of Jalisco, Oaxaca, etc.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 10, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"there's a relatively new British-y bar/pub in Ballston mall next to the Rockbottom Brewery."

I bet that's Union Jacks. Judging by their Bethesda location - it's not in any way a soccer bar. They also don't put sound on for any games on TV.

If you're in Arlington, stick with Kitty's/Summers.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

My wife's take is that Union Jack's is hella corny, but they do have "David Beckham" chicken fingers and Wednesdays look to be 1/2 price app. night... Sounds a little bit more enjoyable than Bailey's.
It's like pulling teeth getting Bailey's to turn on a soccer game, so if you're in the Ballston Commons area I'd give it a shot.

@fischy: Thanks for the feedback a couple threads back. It must be the Dextromethorphan? Or maybe the green tea?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

well Gooch doesn't seem too grateful to Standard for paying him a bunch of money, allowing him to trial elsewhere, and making him a champion. I'm not saying he should stay there after his contract runs out, but he could be a little more diplomatic about wanting to leave. Perhaps Beckham bruised my feelings a little bit.

Parkhurst may have started, but it was a training camp friendly against a last minute substitution opponent and the team's site is promoting their new Brazilian star. Still, much better than "not in the 18."

Perhaps Blockbuster USA would market voodoo dolls of Kickback Jack?

Posted by: troy6 | February 10, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Good call on the no sound element Kev29... Bailey's is just as bad as they turn the college rock up to a ridiculous volume. But honestly last couple times I went to Kitty's for United away games they turned up the music as well...:-(
As Goff stated Summer's is probably the ticket.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Since I will be in the neighborhood, I'm considering one of Chinatown's two Irish pubs (Irish Channel and Fado), as well as RFD, which is near Fado.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 10, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the Fred story. Doesn't the undershirt read, "Jesus Loves You" not "Jesus Loves Me" though?

Posted by: notafembot | February 10, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Columbus scores a goal cuz what?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Goal Crew in the 13th. Kocic though the ref had called offside, but he did not. Kocic put the ball down to set up a free kick, but Jason Garey just walked up and kicked into the open net. Oops. 1-1.

Posted by: Reignking | February 10, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan -- Funny, huh? Kocic is already becoming legendary...and, not in a good way. That's even worse than Thorpe's getting kicked out of a game for picking up the ball and moving it to take the goal kick from the other side of the field.

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The Chris Pontius era has begun...?

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

For the US-Mexico game, if you're in Haymarket-Gainesville, we're doing a pig roast out on our front yard. Kegs of Iron City, straight from Sixburg. We'll even have a bonfire -- though I'm not sure yet what I'll burn. Suggestions?

C'mon out, ya'll!

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 10, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I'd suggest that you burn Mexico team jerseys, but that would be more $ than it's worth. Just print out a few color copies and toss 'em in.

I assume you'll have Molly Hatchet on the boom box.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Kocic is already becoming legendary...and, not in a good way.

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2009 11:26 AM

Dude should have signed the first contract offer United put in front of him. He'll be pumping gas in a couple weeks.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 10, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

United beats the Crew 2-1. 2008 is a mere shred of memory....

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

On the boom box? No way - I got them live!

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 10, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

anyone in the frederick MD area should head to Bushwallers to watch the match. Pro US crowd, and good atmosphere. It is even worth the drive from Germantown/G-burg/Rockville area

Posted by: jjfooty | February 10, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Might I suggest you burn the Iron City and whomever came up with the idea to put that slop into a keg?

Posted by: sobugged1 | February 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I wish I lived closer to Haymarket... Sounds like just my kind of party! Never mind the beer snobbery! Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Actually Union Jack's in Ballston will be showing the match with sound according to one of the managers there (he said at the very least the sound would be over in the section where there is plenty of space to stand and shout by the pool tables).

I have long since grown tired of both the pitiful service and food at Summers.

Posted by: Fight4FifthStar | February 10, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse