Tuesday Kickaround

*The D.C. United stadium story from a political angle and a sports angle.

*United executive chairman Victor MacFarlane, on his current relationship with the city: "We have a two-year lease at RFK. We have had conversations with the city: They're not going to kick us out before we are ready to move to our new stadium. We bear no ill will toward Washington, D.C. My day job, I am still a major investor in Washington to the tune of probably a billion dollars, so I don't want Washington, D.C., to disappear. We tried a business deal [for a stadium] that didn't work. We are happy that it is working here [in Prince George's County] and we are very excited about being here."

*Watch Channel 5's stadium report. You'll get a chuckle from the audio blooper at the beginning.

*Might a United player who saw significant minutes last season not make the final roster? I hear rumblings. Maybe more details later from RFK, where the club will conduct its final workout before heading to Puerto Rico for a week.

*Americans abroad:
D Heath Pearce did not play in Hansa Rostock's 3-1 loss to Freiburg
F Eddie Johnson did not play in Cardiff City's 4-0 FA Cup loss at Arsenal
D Jay DeMerit and Watford vs. Swansea City today
D Frank Simek and Sheffield Wednesday vs. Barnsley today
F Mike Grella and Leeds at Hereford today
MF Danny Szetela and Brescia vs. Ancola today

*Women's Professional Soccer reaches agreement with the U.S. national team players on a three-year contract. The average salary in the league, among all players on seven-month contracts, will be $32,000, but the national teamers will earn no less than $40,000 each and, in some cases, significantly more. The WPS also set a salary cap of $565,000 for each team's 18-player senior roster.

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2009; 8:16 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Name That Team
Next: Greetings From RFK

Comments

You do enjoy teasing us Goff. I would guess someone in the midfield or maybe up top? Doe? Vide? Hmmm.

Posted by: strago | February 17, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Significant minutes > 400? I can only think Vide, Doe, or Mediate. Vide's a nifty player, and Doe's pace is nice to have.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 17, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to lose any of those guys! Vide is a hustler, Doe is serviceable and quick, and Mediate is another capable body in midfield. Depth=good (but if they're being released I'm sure there's a good reason for it)

Posted by: carmines757 | February 17, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

A player on the WNT who also plays in WPS could easily make over $100,000 with the WPS salary, WNT money and her own soccer camps. Not bad...

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

How significant is significant? I see Martinez is still listed on the roster, but I assume he is already to be axed and not the subject of this blind item tease.

What happened to Cordiero? When did he disappear from the roster? What's the roster limit this season? I see 27 players listed including Wells and Martinez, so I guess that gets us down to 25 at this point.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 17, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

on the video blooper: yeah, that's right, DCU is sexy!

Posted by: doh1 | February 17, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

if it between Vide, Doe, and mediate (which there is NO indication that it is)
I would say that it is Mediate that goes, followed closely by Doe. I cant see getting rid of Vide.
I am thinking though that it is a bigger name we may hear. Santino was the first name to pop into my mind.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 17, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

any word when Comcast SportsNet will release their DCU coverage schedule?

any word when the new DCU web site will go live?

any idea what will happen to RFK Auxiliary fields when DCU leaves DC?

Posted by: Pedalada | February 17, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

May be just reading between the lines, but the key to me is "not make the final roster", as in will be let go vs. will be traded.

Tino would be trade bait moreso than simply "not make the roster" unless he fell prey to a donut shop or something...

Is Mediate truly deemed healthy at this point?

Time (and Goff) will tell....

Posted by: 22206no1 | February 17, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

From Mr. Goff's story:

"Despite suggestions from county officials, the club has no plans to change its name to P.G. United or Maryland United"

And let that be the end of it.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 17, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

DCU loves Santino. He's the starting right-side midfielder.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 17, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Its definitely not Tino or anyone that was just recently signed to a new deal... I'm thinking its Vide now the Jacobson is hear, other possiblity is Boyzzz... Doe does take up an international slot.. but I love his speed, so he can't go. We all thought that we would lose either Doe or Vide to Seattle in the expansion draft and were surprised when we lost neither..
I don't consider Dom to have played significant minutes last year so its gotta be either Vide, Doe or Boyzzzz

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 17, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Where else in the District did DC United look?

I still think this is more about McFarlane and his real estate deals. He could have built a stadium in DC, but without the hotel/condo/office complex he wants.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear about a roof covering all 4 sides of the stadium.

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | February 17, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Most successful AND most sexual... How can some believe this is not the greatest club in the league?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 17, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

You mean other than Dyastenko?

Posted by: notafembot | February 17, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Mediate didn't play significant minutes last year.

I would say Doe if our draft pick steps up to the plate.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Delantero, we've been told the district offered a site near RFK (perhaps the parking lot?), but DC United passed. I'd like to know more information about this possible location and why exactly it was turned down? Perhaps the details were not favorable, but at least give us some insight.

Posted by: Hoost | February 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Not forward or midfield -- think defense. I'm guessing Burch is on the bubble -- let Wallace take the left side (more speed and a
"true" defender) and look for a veteran CB.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 17, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking that the salary info might give a hint, but Doe, Mediate and Khumalo were all at $33k last year, and Vide was on a $18k development deal.

Did Vide get a regular contract? That might be a clue.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 17, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Looking at possible sites Hill Road park next to the the morgan boulevard metri looks like it is about the right size for the stadium.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Hm, Burch? He's not the world's greatest defender, but he has that howitzer for a left leg, and that's hard to replace.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 17, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Hoost --Perhaps the details were not favorable, but at least give us some insight.

Exactly. And to further that, if PG County is offering tax revenues from sales of tix/etc to fund the stadium, why couldn't DC do that? I mean Fenty did offer $150 million toward the stadium, if I remember correctly.

As much as I enjoy Fenty bashing, there has not been ANY reflection of the other DC sites nor a comparison of PG vs those DC sites . . . and again, I think it's because of the owners true goal of real estate development, NOT DC United.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

The RFK land option has to be unappealing because of the lack of ability to develop the surrounding area.

Much of the RFK footprint (parking lots, stadium, auxiliary fields, etc) probably cannot be re-zoned due to it's Federal Land lease and therefore would be dead space (until the Snyder Dome is built).

It's also obvious that the end of Capitol Hill that is going to be redeveloped is not going to be in MacFarlane's interest.

I've got a feeling that MacFarlane's 'Urban Stadium' likely means that he really wants control over the master plan for the development. So the anciliary buildings, the architecture, etc. It's obvious that Poplar Point was the only viable District location where he had a shot at that. And, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - what if the man really comes through and builds a first class stadium not designed by Rosetti and the surrounding area provides the atmosphere we all crave.

The Free State will still not be dear to my heart though ;)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 17, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Fire Tommy Soehn! Hire Ruth Westheimer!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

"until the Snyder Dome is built"

Complete with rocket ship for Tommy Cruise and his scientology crowd.

Posted by: delantero | February 17, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Bye Bye McTavish!!??

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 17, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

McTavish, Burch and Quaranta are all starters and just signed new contracts.

Perhaps my use of the word "significant" was inappropriate. The player in jeopardy of losing his job was a regular contributor last season. I hope to learn more later.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The Free State will still not be dear to my heart though ;)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 17, 2009 9:44 AM

You're softening :D

Posted by: Kev29 | February 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

*I wonder how much ticket prices must go up to finance $150 million in construction costs . . . . .

*$32,000 avg salary strikes me as a lot for the womens league if they're hoping for avg attendance of 5,000 at 10 home games.

*Freedom opener 5 weeks away, have they signed anyone yet? Might they open up without any of their 3 national team allocations on the field?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Someone once referred to Steve as Pavlov and us as the dogs.

Ding ding!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, does anyone besides OWNTF really care about the WPS?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 17, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Steve: The salary talk leads me to ask, is there any hint among the WPS players that they will unionize?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Seriously, does anyone besides OWNTF really care about the WPS?"

It ain't for me, but if extra tenants allow MLS teams who control stadiums to have the extra revenue, I wish WPS all the success in the world.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 17, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

But then I remember my 18 Mo's as an extra on The Wire.

Seriously though - I just hope to be in the area by 2012 to see if my fears are dismayed or confirmed.

While I don't like the decision. I have faith. And as long as we are more Rhein-Neckar Arena than Bridgeview - I'm good!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, does anyone besides OWNTF really care about the WPS?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 17, 2009 10:03 AM
________________________________________

Yes, as anyone who has been reading this blog for any length of time knows.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 17, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, does anyone besides OWNTF really care about the WPS?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 17, 2009 10:03 AM

Obviously you do, too, given that you took the time to comment about the WPS.

Posted by: stwasm | February 17, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 17, 2009 10:14 AM

I think we're all agreed on that! I really think that there will indeed be proper roofing (as Steve mentioned earlier) - though the stage is a little worrying.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 17, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I don't get delantero's problem with MacFarlane wanting to make a buck. The guy is a business man. He wants to make money. Investing in a sports team in a struggling league isn't a way to make money. If he wasn't committed on some level to DCU why would he have bought the team in the first place? Sure he wants development rights. It's the only way it makes any business sense to buy the team and build a stadium. But he made his money developing stuff without a sports team and could easily have kept right on doing so without buying this team. I think it is silly to question his commitment to the club.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 17, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

is it finally time to let granpa moreno let go of the team, I guess hes was too bussy getting drunk around va he didnt have time to make the roster. that will be awsome if he gets cut!! lol

Posted by: miaguila1 | February 17, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, does anyone besides OWNTF really care about the WPS?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 17, 2009 10:03 AM
-------------------------------------------
I definitely do. I loved the WUSA. I loved the Freedom. I nvever got out to support them while the played in the W-League; I regret that.

I am very excited about the Freedom being a full professional side again and the launch of the next women's pro league. I am worried about the economic climate, so it is hard to be overly optimistic about the league's chances.

But yeah--I definitely care. I am already looking at what games I'm going to try and attend.

Posted by: yankiboy | February 17, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 17, 2009 10:13 AM
__________________________________________

In an earlier thread I gave my reasons why I would not be surprised if the Freedom were to pass on the opportunity to move to a new stadium when the time comes. Basically, they're allegedly in the process of expanding Soccerplex to 7,000 seats or so, and it is unclear that they will need anything bigger. Also, if DCU's proposed move to a place a few miles east of RFK is producing a lot of consternation among fans to the west, a move from Germantown to Largo would be require a near-total rebuilding of the fan base.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Stage worries me as well - but this is America.

The land of billion dollar bailouts and reality television. Surely we can hide it attractively.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"It's possible we will have more fans now from places like Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, up into Baltimore. Perhaps fewer will be able to make it from places like Loudoun County."
Payne should add Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William to the list of counties that they will lose significant attendance from. Realistically, they should also decrease the stadium size to 20k if it will be metro accessable. If it won't be metro accessable then they should build something the size of the MD soccerplex.

Posted by: rusone | February 17, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

fedssocr: I'm with delantro in thinking that McF & Co's biggest concern was (and probably remains) real estate development not the soccer team. They bought the team because of the potential real estate / stadium deal. Poplar Point fell through because they wanted to do way too much. Remember all those offices etc. The stadium looked like the flying nun tacked onto the background as an afterthought. Make a buck is one thing, but those plans reeked of greed. I want a decent stadium, and if the owners can build it I'll give them all the credit in the world, and grateful business. But McF and Co turned down a 150 million Poplar Point development offer from the DC govt and that has never been justified.

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 17, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

My guess would be either Burch or Mediate.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | February 17, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The stage doesn't bother me if they can (a) put bleachers there or (b) hide it with a partition, ummm... sponsorship opportunity. What would irritate me is if someone decided to put cheerleaders there, like Columbus does. What is the point of that? The fans don't need them and they're too far away to see. It's like getting take-out from Hooters.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 17, 2009 10:47 AM

Poplar Point fell through because Fenty was so concerned with being fair (in the aftermath of his Foggy Bottom Library give-away) that he screwed MacFarlane and opened up the development to a proposal process. Clark won, but with the timing set backs, the economy then put their plans in the toilet.

In the end you can say that the economy killed it. But Fenty's gamble in taking it away from MacFarlane certainly didn't help.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 17, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 17, 2009 10:47 AM
__________________________________________

Huh? Wasn't it the other way around?

Posted by: universityandpark | February 17, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If they're creative they would use the roll out bleachers like what they have at the Mineapolis Metrodome for the stage end. You could put the supporters clubs in that section and they could still bounce around like they do today.

I just don't want the roof over the stage to contrast with the rest of the stadium like so many others in the league. The roof lines at Home Depot look so much better than the rest of the league.

Give me symmetry or give me death!

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 17, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

What is everybody complaining about. Why all the gloom and doom. Are the extra 3 to 4 Metro Stops worth of ride out to PGC really THAT horrible that people will stop going to games?

Admittedly, I have never driven that area (I'm an out of town fan who always takes Metro to games), but it doesnt' look like it's that much further than Stadium/Armory on the Metro Map. Is that area hell to drive?

Stadium+control=money in the bank.
Money in the bank+time=end of single entity.
Seems simple enough to me.

Posted by: joemybro | February 17, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 17, 2009 10:47 AM
__________________________________________

Huh? Wasn't it the other way around?

Posted by: universityandpark | February 17, 2009 11:03 AM

That $150 million offer was rumored - and apparently did not have much support in the Council anyway. I think Fenty was grasping at straws by then. He also said that he was committed to finding other sites in the city - also didn't pan out.

This is a loss for the residents of Ward 8. And a loss for United - no one wanted to leave the city. But for the Mayor, I don't think he's sweating it too much. Just another Mayor to screw Anacostia - he'll still be re-elected in a landslide, so the hit from Ward 8 and soccer fans won't break his stride. He fixes the potholes in DC Chevy Chase - so people like Tony Kornheiser and Marc Fisher love and bankroll him.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 17, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Whatever the problem was that cause the stadium not to be built in DC, is water under the bridge now. Whether is Fenty (Marion Barry says it is)or McFarlane to blame. DC United is getting closer to having an actual stadium. That is the most important issue.

PG County, Thank you!

Posted by: hardcoco | February 17, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

My guess might be Moreno. I heard he has put on the pounds and is not in shape. It takes him the first quarter to third of the season to get in playing shape, which is a significant problem, especially considering DC typically starts off the season poorly.

I could see Vide go as well if Jacobson is playing well, but that would surprise me. I got my money on Moreno

Posted by: therealfootball | February 17, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

joemybro, the area is not hell to drive on a weekend, but for those of us in Northern Virginia who barely make it to the start of a week-night match as it is, the extra distance might mean missing more than half of the first half. Driving home is not a problem. As to metro, the ride home can be an hour and a half when they are single-tracking; the drive home is 20 minutes. So yes, we drive.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 17, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF
--------------------
My thoughts exactly. I don't see how they can generate the revenues for salaries, let alone all the other costs. I hope someone has it all worked out, but this sure looks like WUSA Part II.

Also, the league opener is in five weeks, but the WNT doesn't come back from the Algarve Cup until March 12. Won't be easy to integrate the players.

And yes, whoever that was, I follow the WNT as well.

Posted by: troy6 | February 17, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

what about Fred? I could see DCU thinking he's not worth the $200,000 + contract. Last year: 2 goals and 4 assists in 23 games. Just a thought...

Posted by: churtmah | February 17, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1
----------------------
I was talking to the father of one of the WNT players last spring who said he prepared his daughter's tax returns and only then figured out why she hadn't given up soccer for a "real" job.

Posted by: troy6 | February 17, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"What is everybody complaining about. Why all the gloom and doom."

Because that's all you DCU types seem to do. Wait, check that, every soccer fan with internet access does that.

As for Dave Feldman's pronouncement that DCU is "the most successful club in the history of American professional soccer?" Get OVER yourself, seriously.

One last thing: after 13 years, are DC-area media types (primarily TV heads) EVER going to stop calling the club "The DC United?" How stupid do you have to be?

Posted by: very_clever_username | February 17, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

There is no way we are cutting our captain a month before our first game... my money is on that this person makes the team and puts this to rest...but its not moreno and its not Burch people... it seriously is Joe Vide, it makes too much sense not to be.. Simms is an iron man and with Benny getting some minutes we don't need Jacobson and Vide both on senior contracts.. plus we have Devon in a pinch at CDM..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 17, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Marc Burch said... "We're not going to be able to replace the stands bouncing up and down [at RFK] and making it look like the whole stadium is shaking, but it would still be great to have our own place."

Why not? I think the architects should designate a section for the supporters groups, and carefully design the seats to have a certain degree of flex in them. If done right, this could be perfectly safe and durable. Why get rid of this lovable quirk of RFK's if you don't have to?

Posted by: WorldCup | February 17, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree with WorldCup... this could easily be done

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 17, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Will supporters groups ask for an opportunity to see the stadium design and then comment on it? I think it would be good business on the part of the owners to have fans feel involved.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 17, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

RE: Bouncing Bleachers.

Someone mentioned this before, but use the plastic rollaway ones that almost every high school gym nowadays do. They'd easily slide back on the proposed stage to be hidden for those events, and still provide the effect you're looking for.

This picture seems to be of a holder model, but my basic point: http://www.fotosearch.com/THK016/d0003575/

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 17, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, who is left from the 2008 newbies?

Carvallo - Gone
Niell - Gone
Peralta - Gone
Gallardo - Gone
Guerrero - Gone
Wells - Gone

Martinez - Going

Crayton (G) - 1,080 Minutes
Vide (M) - 590 Minutes
Khumalo (F) - 468 Minutes
Doe (F) - 435 Minutes
Janicki (D) - 216 Minutes
Zaher (D) - 124 Minutes

I think it's safe to say that losing Janicki or Zaher wouldn't really be considered a surprise. The same could be said for Khumalo, despite that he played more minutes than Doe.

I think the surprise is between Crayton, Vide, and Doe.

I'm voting on Crayton.

He was new to the team in 2008 and that seems to be a cursed situation. Plus, he's just had a family tragedy and may be reconsidering his future.

I will be sad to see Crayton go.

Posted by: TCompton | February 17, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree with BurchFan4...I think it's Vide. With the Jacobson signing, Vide is now redundant. What I want to know is whether "not make the final roster" means that the player is going to be traded or if he is simply going to be cut. It is probably the latter, but just curious.

Posted by: combedge | February 17, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Older*

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 17, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

No way it's Crayton. He hasn't even been in camp yet because of a death in the family. That would be real low class to cut a guy who's out because of a death. Besides, who's gonna take his place? A 3rd stinger from last year? A pool keeper? A rookie straight outta school? Not likely.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | February 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Joe Vide, I think. With Simms and Jacobsen, he's expendable. odd he wasn't traded though, he's a useful MLS player.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Ives is saying Vide is gone....

Posted by: 22206no1 | February 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say I'm sad to see Joe go if the Ives story is true. What he lacked in skill, he made up for in hussle and heart. Jacobson hasn't exactly shown to be real durable yet. If I remember correctly, he pulled up lame in both friendlies this spring and he missed most of last season in France due to an injury.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | February 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Vide gone?

DCU trying to sever all ties with Virginia!

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It's gotta be Vide. He killed that radio star, remember?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Who said their money is on Moreno? I'll take that bet! I'll even give you looong odds...

If I had to *choose* a contributing player to cut, I'd probably go with Mediate (if he qualifies) or Zaher.

But if I had to guess, Khumalo or Doe. We seem to have a lot of options up front at the moment.

Posted by: jealousmuse | February 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ives Galarcep has got it -- he's reporting that DC waived Joe Vide.

Seems extra dumb to me, but I'm not a brilliantly successful manager of personnel.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 17, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Vide is useful but has little trade value. There's a large handful of guys on MLS benches and in USL that play the scrappy CM/DM role fairly well. Usually a developmental player can be found to provide such depth. For a guy that was a supplemental draft pick, he just doesn't have the upside of a player like Jacobson. Don't forget that he was waived by an expansion side last season. If he wants it, he should have a long career in USL1, probably as a team captain.

Posted by: undrafted | February 17, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Oops, missed the Vide story. Well, that sucks if true. He was quality, and the only natural backup for Simms that I could see.

I guess the draft picks are showing well?

Posted by: jealousmuse | February 17, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"There's a large handful of guys on MLS benches and in USL that play the scrappy CM/DM role fairly well."
--------
I see your point, undrafted, but few do it as well as they ought to. Some of the best MLS players in that role have been Richie Williams, Chris Armas and Shalrie Joseph (and for a couple of years, Brian Carroll). In addition to the grit, they bring a strong technical game that allows them to fill the hole left by the attacking mid when he goes forward. Richie Williams was an outstanding passer with a tremendous first touch. Armas was extremely clean with the ball and found the right guy. Joseph is a fantastic player. And when he's on, Carroll is technically proficient and can hit a ball on frame.

A good CM/DM can make or break a team. Coaches often look for the scrappiness; I think they could/should demand more.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

He killed that radio star, remember?
Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 12:54 PM
================
Barely.

I liked him too. Too bad. I hope he does well elsewhere in the league.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

SG has already made it clear that we're not talking about major players, so the speculation of Quaranta, Moreno, or Crayton departing can be put to bed. We're clearly not talking about an established starter here.

Who does that leave?

Vide: With Simms, perhaps Olsen, Jacobson, McTavish, and even Namoff able to play defensive midfield, he is redundant. I do think his aggressive style can be valuable if controlled. Note to MJ: I'm pretty sure he was upgraded after the season.

Janicki: Looked like our only trustworthy center back down the stretch (between MLS and CCL play). Our depth is so poor at CB that we probably need 2 more players there, so cuts seem highly unlikely.

Khumalo: Drafting of Pontius probably hurt his chances of seeing time. I thought as the season wore on that he became less effective, with teams figuring him out.

Doe: Our fastest player (him or Wallace, anyway), and blessed with great potential, yet cursed with wild inconsistency. Still, speed like his is a rarity, especially within this DCU squad. I'd be stunned if it was him, for that fact alone.

Mediate: Soehn seems to like him (hence the continued experiment of him at CB this preseason). On the other hand, can he give us more on a senior contract than others (Miller, Zaher, etc) would on a developmental?

Miller: Seems good enough to make the grade. There's a reason he's in camp and someone like Craig Thompson isn't. Maybe his trials in Norway earned him a deal?

Zaher: Out of our obscure developmental players from last season, I thought he was the most likely to actually make a career in MLS. He never looked out of place with our established guys or against good opponents in the CCL. Picking Wallace really hurt his chances, though, since Wallace will need to see the field to develop, and Zaher isn't ready to overtake Burch.

I can think of good reasons any of Vide, Khumalo, Mediate, Miller, and Zaher would be let go. They're all vulnerable. Out of that group, I think the order of most likely cut would be Miller, Mediate, Zaher, Khumalo, and Vide.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 17, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, ignore all that. Shows me for leaving something unsubmitted to get lunch.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 17, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

No problem, Chest.

BTW, we've been dying to know... is your real name Norman?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW, we've been dying to know... is your real name Norman?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 1:18 PM
=============
No, but he's equal:

Norman Rockwell = A picture
Chest Rockwell = A thousand words.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc1:

Oh, no...Chest Rockwell's real name is Reed Rothchild.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that the movie that "Chest Rockwell" is from was banned in joedoc's part of the country.

Posted by: Reignking | February 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

wow Chest, I have never seen you get something so flat out wrong! :)

seems to me that the logic behind Vide is that we just don't have the matches to make him useful this season. assuming the following lineup in the midfield/upfront, what are we going to do with him?

emilio/moreno
gomez
Fred-------Tino
Simms

he's at best the fourth sub. and given the new roster sizes, the need for defense and developing young talent, we can't afford to use a roster spot on a supplemental player with little potential. I also think this means Benny is feeling more confident as a super-sub to bring the energy.

With all this, I figure what happened is the team went to Joe and said "hey, looks like your role here will be greatly reduced, if you make the team. would you prefer being waived now to get a chance to catch on somewhere else?"

by the way, anyone know anything about this Mamadou Danso the team apparently acquired on Friday? is he in camp?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 17, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought Reed Rothchild became a magician....

Posted by: VTUnited | February 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Meh.

I liked Vide's heart and effort, however he wasn't a guy to build the team around. I'm guessing Jacobson's got more skills (or at least the potential to have more skills) and will be more of a multi-purpose midfielder.

Good luck to Vide. I'm sure he'll get picked up pronto.

Posted by: DrBeaker | February 17, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Good bye Vide! You did more in 7 matches than Gallardo did all season.

Posted by: hardcoco | February 17, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, reignking - never heard of it before.

And something tells me I don't want to know. I remain blissfully ignorant in Haymarket...

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"With all this, I figure what happened is the team went to Joe and said 'hey, looks like your role here will be greatly reduced, if you make the team. would you prefer being waived now to get a chance to catch on somewhere else?'"

Did you really just fabricate a back story so you can feel good about DC United's dealings with players? Please. It's an ugly thing, but it's part of doing business, and if you can't live with it, go watch croquet.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

His point is, it ain't the cut date, they coulda strung him along, and they didn't. Someday you'll learn what class is.

Posted by: stancollins | February 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Nothing unusual. Players are being let go left and right, by all teams, if they're not in contention. Teams have to pay for flights, meals, hotel rooms, and per diems, so don't pretend like this is some gracious act that distinguishes classy DC United from the rest of the brutish world of pro sports.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 18, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

NY waived a roster player today. Isn't that astoundingly classy? Or is it because there's no point in paying for room and board for a player who won't make the roster anyhow? How about it, Stan?

The idea that everything DC United ever does sparkles with their classiness and demonstrates that they're a cut above everyone else is grotesque and delusional.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 18, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse