United in Maryland

The Insider has learned that D.C. United is on the verge of entering a partnership with the state of Maryland and Prince George's County to pursue a medium-sized soccer stadium. There are still obstacles, but if all goes well, the club and local governments will unveil their preliminary plans Monday. Such a step would all but end the prospects of the stadium being built in the District.

More details from The Post later.

UPDATE: Read this link immediately.

DCU just announced it will hold a news conference Monday afternoon at Prince George's Community College in Largo. Team investor Victor MacFarlane, county executive Jack Johnson as well as state representatives will attend.

State reps Anthony Muse and Melony Griffith have introduced legislation that "will enable D.C. United to move to Maryland and work with the Maryland Stadium Authority to build a stadium."

A source close to United told the Insider: "I'm quite optimistic about this happening, but we've got a long way to go before it becomes a reality. A million things could go wrong, but everything looks good."

By Steve Goff  |  February 12, 2009; 5:21 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Moves, DCU Kisses
Next: Early Friday Kickaround

Comments

In this economic environment, that counts as great news. Congratulations to DC United.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 12, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I think I may cry.

Sadness cry, not joyful cry.

Where is PG county getting the money??

Posted by: rockotodd | February 12, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

What a pity, mayor.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 12, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Just ask the Redskins how much they like the soul-killing suburbs.

Plus, this put JkR's attendance in jeopardy.

Red Bulls suck.

Posted by: rockotodd | February 12, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Lots of as-yet-unknowns like location, size, available beers on draft, but here's my initial take:

+ A stadium
+ Revenue
- not the optimum location, but
+ a stadium
- loss of some VA ticket buyers
+ addition of some MD buyers

? Chief Clancy Wiggum at opening day (I'm leaning +, but... :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

what was the percentage of the crowd last night?

Thanks for all you do!

Posted by: homanwb | February 12, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

what homanwb said!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Percentage of the crowd doing what?

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Will this be on the metro line?

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 12, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

fans wearing/cheering for green and fans wearing/cheering red, white and blue?

Just curious

Posted by: homanwb | February 12, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

nvm, just saw the new update

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 12, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess Hoyer got that money after all.

Haymarket to PG County. Wow. "Honey, pack up the kids. We're going to WallyWorld!"

Seriously, if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. I'm in.

I-270, mind if Team Doc stops by every now and then for a soda and snacks as we head home?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 12, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Glad I don't live in DC anymore -- this doesn't affect me :)

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

It would have been great to have a stadium in the city limits. But this is much better than DCU having to leave in 5 years since they can't be profitable in DC.

PG County sites are as close to the DC downtown as Red Bull Arena is to Manhattan, and closer than the Home Depot Center, Rio Tinto, Dick's, and Pizza Hut are to their respective towns. If it's walkable from Metro, what's the huge deal? Again, not as "cool" as having a downtown stadium but much better than not having one at all...

24,000 seats, though? C'mon DCU, we're a big club. Let's go with that 27k :)

Posted by: the_slammer | February 12, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

This is basically right next to FedEx and US Air Arena, PG Sports Plex, etc. Easy off 95 for a soccer size crowd, but a potential nightmare on a 'Skins day.

Either last or next to last station on the Blue Line.

Or a long ride for dadryan on two wheels.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 12, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

A stadium on the Potomac would've been the shining jewel for soccer in the US. Now its just another SSS -- suburban soccer stadium.

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Total Joke. Good bye DC United. The end of a (great) era. No way I am driving out to PG county for games...how would I get home (ie I like to have beers at the game which makes metro a great option) There goes the spirit of the crowd. It has been said, but ask the Redskin fans to compare the two experiences. Thanks for a losing team and bad stadium location Victor.

Posted by: kramva | February 12, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

==========
"He said the team is looking at three sites -- two at the Morgan Blvd. Metro Station and one at the Largo Town Center Metro Station."

Posted by: OWNTF | February 12, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

according to the update. The DCSAC is letting United keep revenues from parking and concessions for the next 2 years? That's good news at least, right?

Posted by: Pete803 | February 12, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I get it! DC United = two old DC teams reunited in Raljon.

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Sucks that D.C. never got their act together, but I'll take a SSS anywhere.

For those VA residents whining now about fighting traffic after work etc., look at the schedule. 99% of United's games this year are on Saturday nights.

Driving another 15 minutes is not an issue for me.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | February 12, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll speak for Virginia residents -- the real issue is that Maryland sucks.

Posted by: Reignking | February 12, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

that sucks

Posted by: mcontento | February 12, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Cool. I get to save some money now that I won't buy season tickets. I understand the team needs a stadium, but this will potentially crush their Virginia base. I guess they'll have to make it up with MD folks. Good luck with that.

Posted by: Hoost | February 12, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Hard to know what to feel...being able to walk to RFK and hosting tailgates in Lot8 is hard to replace. But if this thing is metro friendly and is anything like RB stadium I'm sure this shock will pass....nope, back to feeling sick.

Posted by: mbetka23 | February 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, right in the heart of suburban soccer land....

Oh, wait....

Posted by: JkR- | February 12, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

What amazes me is that DCU says it's willing to pay for 25 percent of the stadium's cost, and the PG folks didn't laugh him out the door. C'mon, MacFarlane, chip in for HALF the cost, at least!

Posted by: Juan-John | February 12, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm a VA-based fan, and one that has quite a haul to make it to games (two hour drive, give or take a few minutes/hours for traffic). As long as the new stadium is still metro accessible, I say bring it on. I'll still come to games.

I don't see why moving the stadium a maximum of seven miles or so to the east makes such a huge difference. Will the journey really be that much more arduous for anyone?

Suck it up, enjoy the fresh air and the fresh beer and our sparkling new stadium. Once you get inside, decked out in black and red and supporting our boys, does it really matter whether you're on DC soil, MD soil, or VA soil?

Posted by: jpeace121 | February 12, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

The United had a great run while it lasted and I'll be sure to catch a few extra games these last couple years to say goodbye. (What a party that last game at RFK will be!) The problem is that the United aren't the Redskins, much of the VA fan base just isn't going to drive to the far side of the beltway for soccer, they might as well move to Baltimore.

How long into the summer of '11 before we start reading about clashes between the United fans and PG cops? No thanks.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 12, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

At first I thought it was a bad idea because I live in Arlington, but I'll echo jpeace and say, yeah, my main concern is that it be Metro-accessible.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 12, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Virginia's suburbs are poorly served by Metro. Therefore we are drivers. As the crow flies, this is only a few miles further.

But we're not flying crows; this adds a lot of night, post beer driving for the far suburbs, which are thick soccer areas. I used to go to Capitol Center a lot, and it was the drive after on the Beltway that stopped me from going. RFK has the quickest and easiest exit for Virginians that you could hope for.

Not whining, just telling you my reality. If my trip home goes from 40 minutes (current) to 65-70 mins (my guess from the Cap Center days), it will have an impact on the games I attend.

Posted by: JkR- | February 12, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

? Chief Clancy Wiggum at opening day (I'm leaning +, but... :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2009 5:35 PM

Odds are Chief Clancy Wiggum (now P. McP) will definitely be at this home opener.

Of course, right now, Chief Clancy Wiggum/Poopy McPoop is more excited about the away opener out here in So-Cal in a month against the possibly Posh Spiceless Galaxy.

Upon ordering tickets to said match off the Galaxy website, the Galaxy sent along 2 Galaxy scarfs with the purchase of tickets. One scarf was given to a friend who is a Galaxy fan and the other was burned in our fireplace.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 12, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Where's the outrage by the Mayor and City Council? The Nationals held events in PG County and the Council is still crying. DC United, OTOH, is a successful franchise, on and off the field. The District is letting them leave without a whimper. I hope the team changes it's name to something other than DC United once the move is through. Like Capitol United or something that gets the taint of the District out of the name.

The last day DC United plays at RFK will be the last dime I ever spend in the District. Thanks for nothing, Fenty.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | February 12, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Good job Fenty. My financial dealings with anything DC government related are done until you and your associates are out of the picture.

This is the last straw in the way you have treated your business partners and I'll stand with others in leaving my companies money out of your reach.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | February 12, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Mixed Feelings. Happy for the team in getting a new stadium. I doubt I'll travel with them. I've had season tickets for 9 years. Live in DC & it takes an hour to get home from RFK on METRO. I can't imagine adding a longer commute after a 7:30 PM KO. Maybe if they went to day games...I'm furious with the city. Who knew Fenty was another Sharon Pratt Dixon? Gosh!

Posted by: SWTrevor | February 12, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the extreme overreactions. (I'm cross-posting my response, which is also at the Metro desk blog page). You're making arses out of yourselves.

As it happens, last season, I discovered the wonders of the Morgan Blvd Metro Station. If I'm leaving my Bethesda home late for a United game, I make the circle all the way over to Morgan Blvd., and hop on the Metro for an 12 minute ride to RFK. Often, that seems like a better bet -- quicker than Metro from Bethesda (I drive fast) and certainly cheaper than parking at RFK. I'm quite happy to use the Metro, and walk to my car after the game. No worries about the neighborhood, which is mostly woodlands.

I find it incredible that NoVa fans can't ride another 12 minutes. I realize that might be a time crunch for those who cut it close getting to DCU games on time, but for the rest of you -- shame on you.

Besides -- look at the schedule. DCU is going with Saturday night games. Surely you can make it out on a Saturday night, and deal with another 10 or 15 minutes on the Metro.

Drivers from NoVa -- shame on you, too. It's probably no more than 10 or 15 minutes more to your drive -- especially on weekends. Heck, when the Cosmos were around, I had to make it back and forth over the GW Bridge. It was an hour and a half on a good day. And, they were still the "New York Cosmos".

They've chosen a good location that's not much different than where they're at now. Sure, Poplar Point might have been more centrally located -- but they're not at Poplar Point now. They're at the very edge of the city, and bow they'll be a few miles out on the other side of the river. Big deal.

Bottom line -- if you can get to RFK for the games, you can get to Morgan Blvd or Largo with not much more hassle. And, the experience is bound to be better. If a new stadium in the District were still a viable option, you might have cause to complain. It isn't, and you don't. They're DC United because it unites fans across the entire metro area. Moving a few miles can't change that.

One other plus -- if DCU gets out of the rotting hulk that is RFK, the city will find the money to bring the Redskins back -- in a huge, new stadium that can host the World Cup final or semi-final in 2022.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

This has been the weirdest week for DC United news.

Hooray we're getting Christian back!

That's good!

But we have to give up Ivan Guerrero.

That's bad.

We're finally going to get a stadium!

That's good!

But the stadium is near FedEx Field.

That's bad.

However, the stadium comes with a free small frozen yogurt, which I call Frogurt!

That's good!

But the Frogurt is also cursed.

That's bad.

But it comes with free sprinkles!

That's good!

But the sprinkles are made with potassium benzoate....... that's bad.

Can I go now?

Posted by: spidergoose | February 12, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I can't say how disappointed I am about this. I'm trying to look at the glass as half full but it's pretty tough to find out that not only will my team be playing outside the district but also will be downgrading the size of their stadium and loosing a fair amount of longtime fans. This could do irrevocable damage to the club and I'm pretty worried at this point.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 12, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

interesting. oh well, as long as it's on the orange or blue lines, it's just another couple stops on the metro. this has been handled badly across the board. I guess it's time for the District to get serious about bidding on the Skins coming back, before RFK reverts to the Feds in 2012...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 12, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Cool, that really makes me feel better. I love seeing the Redskins get everything and other organizations getting nothing. Great, I'm psyched!

Posted by: pittmancb | February 12, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Or, maybe even the Opening game of the World Cup, with the host USA team. That experience alone would make all the other hassles worth it.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

United is essentially settling right now. It might seem like a good thing, but 20 years down the road everyone here will most likely regret the actions being made right now. I'd be willing to bet on it...

Posted by: pittmancb | February 12, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

It has been an eventful week for United...

I wonder what next week holds in store for us....

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pittmancb | February 12, 2009 8:06 PM
-------------------------------------------

In 20-25 years, DCU can start making plans for a move back in to the city....Nothing is forever...

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

". If it's walkable from Metro, what's the huge deal? "

--the_slammer

What are the drinking rules for the tailgate?
Same, worse, or the same --in D.C.?

@Fischy

Why don't you put up a fit or some kind of groan to the words, "And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you" --Fenty

We've got to find a way to embarrass Fenty, somehow. Lets invite him to another game, and slam him with signs and chants!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 12, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

And, you all do realize that this is merely an opening bid. If DC comes up with a new developer for Poplar Point, who guarantees a stadium and the infrastructure, MacFarlane will send a nice thank you letter to PG officials.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Spidergoose,

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA.

Does the stadium come with a talking Krusty doll that can be switched from good to evil (or vice versa) and who is dating Malibu Stacy and living with her in her dream house?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 12, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SWTrevor | February 12, 2009 7:57 PM

You sure about that? When I lived in Rockville it took around an hour to get from RFK to Rockville (and that was with a change of trains). That also includes times having to wait like 10+ minutes for a train at Metro Center. That's gotta be a longer ride than any you have, if you live in DC.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 12, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Assuming all goes well, a stadium means stability and increased revenue. Poplar Point is not going to happen. If DC continued to play at RFK, they would (1) lose money and (2) be asked to leave when Danny is ready to fleece the city.

It's not ideal, but it is better than any current scenario involving DCS&EC.

Joe Doc: you're welcome to stop in. I'll throw some ribeyes on the grill.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

According to wmata.com, Morgan Blvd. is 12 minutes further on the blue line. Largo Town Center is an additional 3 minutes. I've been saying for years that Virginians are, amongst other things, less hardy than the good people of Maryland; prove me wrong, friends!

All MD-VA sniping aside (and trust me, I'd love to take some more pot shots at the confederate traitors to the south and west), the team was either going to build a stadium somewhere or move away. Any reasonable person knows that the villain here isn't Maryland, or Virginia fans that stop coming, or the club's owners. It's the DC government for either lying, throwing up roadblocks, or showing utter apathy towards the project, despite the fact that the team a) clearly loves being in DC, b) did all the leg work to get the land transferred to the city, and c) actually has a winning tradition, unlike the other teams in town. If people want to get mad, get mad at the people that ensured this result.

As MJ points out, in the current economic climate, any stadium deal that keeps DC United in the region is a victory (and frankly, a bit of an upset). I've been all for building in DC, and I live in Maryland, but if the choice is having a stadium in a less-than-ideal location or having to hear talks about moving the team, I'd rather take the former.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 12, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I feel for the Virginia folks who will be affected by this. As a neutral and a fan of the league tho, I'm pumped that at long last, this franchise will have a class stadium. Good for Victor for finally making this happen.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 12, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

spidergoose:

Nice work.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 12, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I live in VA, I've got season tickets -- I'm in. The whiners, in the words of Kathy Griffin, can "suck it." This is the best stadium news any of us has heard in a very long time.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 12, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Some people won't come, some people will, and the team will be on solid financial footing.

Frankly, I'm more worried about the heavy hand of PG County cops than anything else.

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | February 12, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

To summarize:

- it's a 6 hour drive from Arlington to PG Co, but
+ you can fly from National to BWI, rent a car, and be at the stadium in only 3 hours

- DC will lose millions of ticket buying fans from NoVa, but
+ DC will gain fans from Baltimore (I know they exist, I've seen both of them at Blast games)

- 24,000 seats x 15 home games = 360,000 additional homicides in PG Co annually, but
+ the NRA will be proud that so many Americans are exercising their 2nd Amendment right

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"Frogurt?" I'm very amphib... ambivalent about that name.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) said in a statement: "The Administration hasn't received or reviewed a copy of the legislation. Once we know more about the proposal we'll be in a position to comment."///
YOU COULDN'T CARE LESS SO GO TO HELL.
"I want D.C. United to stay in D.C. as long as possible, forever," Moses said. "But I understand the political realities and financial realities to making this work."
YOU ARE AN A.HOLE. THERE IS NOTHING IN YOUR HEART THAT YOU WANTED TO KEEP UNITED IN DC OTHER THAN THAT DESIRE TO TAKE THE PROFIT. YOU TREAT US HORRIBLY IN RFK."I'd love to see what kind of deal they have to offer," BROWN said.
MUCH BETTER THAN YOU CAN EVER VISION CERTAINLY.
SO SCREW THEM ALL. I will go no matter where the United is in the metro area. By the way I am VA'n and take Metro. It won't stop me. I will be happy to sit in a real soccer stadium. United can keep the same name as the skins.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | February 12, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'll just have to look for a place closer to PG County . . .

Posted by: notafembot | February 12, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- 2 really funny posts today (also -- the "Frankie Say Relax" post. You're in excellent form.

@ Poopy -- It takes an hour to get to RFK from Rockville, but it does take a long time going back. For some reason, the train always arrives at Metro Center about a minute after the red line train has come through. Then it's an official 15-20 minute wait for the next one. The good news is that Metro is considering extending the wait between evening and weekend trains, allegedly to 20 minutes. I got news for them, based on my experience, that would be speeding up the interval.

Still, it's hard to believe that any trip within the city takes an hour.

@ redskinssux -- I don't know about the tailgate rules out there. Ask Redskins fans. I'm pretty sure they have no problem getting toasty at tailgates a mile down the road from what will be the gleaming new Frogurt Field.

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I hope it works for DCU. I am from maryland so I like the idea of a MD stadium, but being near fed ex sucks. not really any closer than RFK for me. maybe it will prompt fenty to fast track a new poplar point proposal. DC stands to lose a lot if United leave RFK before the skins come back, which I dont think will really ever happen.
I am disapointed that the capacity has dropped below 25,000. With our fan base and history of hosting big national team games 24,000 feels a bit small. I was hoping for something pushing 30,000.
maybe that will change as the planning comes into focus.
Well, PG county here we come...probably, maybe...no, no definitly...well who knows?

Posted by: jjfooty | February 12, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

It's about time and I am glad for the location. It will have to be better than driving to RFK, paying $12 and sitting in a crap old stadium. I had no great desire to have to drive to SE Poplar Point either but would have.

So-called fans who can't make the shift, see ya.

Posted by: RRP1 | February 12, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

We will be able to refer to United as the "Beltway Bangers"....

Posted by: fischy | February 12, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up...

fischy @ 8:01pm - your best post ever. Perfectly said. Virginians, you're either with us or with Fenty.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Kev29 | February 12, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

This is really not so bad. Frankly a stadium on the blue line is likely a much better thing for most of us in NoVA than Greenbelt would have been on the green line.

Why only 24,000 seats though? I know they want to fill the place up but making it a little bigger would make it a more attractive venue for things like national team games, big events, etc.

I hope the club will have its own security though so we aren't all killed by the PG cops.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 12, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Arlington to RFK = 20 minutes.
Arlington to new SSS sites = 34 minutes.
Arlington to Poplar Point = 19 minutes.

Fairfax to RFK = 36 mintes.
Fairfax to new SSS = 45 minutes.
Fairfax to Poplar Point = 37 minutes.

(according to Google)

I can't imagine that this is really going to have a huge impact on the fan base. Even the Virginians will adjust.

Poplar Point would have been nice on the river and all (assuming the wind was blowing in the right direction) but this is not a bad situation.

Let's just get it built!

Posted by: jealousmuse | February 12, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

For those few crying Virginia residents who claim to be fans (one of whom is such a fan that he calls the team 'The United'), you're probably not at many games anyway.

I live in Western Loudoun County and moving a few Metro stops further away sure as hell isn't going to stop me from being there. I really don't anticipate much of a drop in attendance from those of us in Virginia.

And a brand new stadium that is all ours is going to make any extra travel time seem very insignificant.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 12, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Burke, Va here and I am with United no matter where they move.

Posted by: Norteno4life | February 13, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Just curious . . . . where do I sign up for my seat license?

37 days to United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 13, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | February 12, 2009 11:03 PM

In 2008, we had two games cross 24000. The Galaxy visit and the Chivas USA game.

In 2007 we had 4 home games over 24000. The Beckham game, a CCC game, and the 2nd and third to last games of the season (Toronto and Chicago). The final game of the year and the playoff game did not beat 24000 (the playoff game was less than 20000).

2006, 1 home game over 24000, The Galaxy/Kobe Jones final game.

2005 we got 31000 for Chelsea at FedEx.

2004, Adu's first game we got 24603 because tickets were capped. We didn't get over 20000 any other game.

2003 the closest we got was a friendly against the El Salvador National Team 23000.

I could go on, but the area has shown there's only 24000 bodies willing to commit to soccer on a rare few occasions. Even in 1996 and 1997 only a handful of games at the beginning of each season crossed that number. The grind of a 30+ game schedule showed as the attendance trailed off into the fall.

Surely any new stadium will be built with the possibility of gradual expansion as the years go by. Creating demand for a product by setting your limits and then expanding them as needed is certainly a sound business practice. It's what keeps The Danny in business over at FedEx, and what forced the Arizona Cardinals to move to a reasonably-sized stadium.

Columbus looked great Wednesday with a full stadium. I hope we don't look like the Nationals come our qualifier.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | February 13, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I live between Huntington and Van Dorn Metro stations, and to me, this is a wash. If I Metro to the game on the Blue Line this will take me an extra, what, twelve minutes on the train? It's already a long trip, so I don't care about a little extra time. I have a seat.

I also work in PG county, and can see Fed Ex field from my cube, so getting to after work matches will be easier as well. It wasn't difficult before, but now I can probably stay away from I/DC-295.

Posted by: mason08 | February 13, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Best News Evah!!

Its most likely close to a Metro stop, medium size. We got people near 35 K for the chelsea game so I think we can get 20 k. Major problem on weeknights though.

Posted by: godpere | February 13, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Melony Griffith? Don Johnson's old booty is in PG Co. politics?

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 13, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

After reading several comments here, it is clear that some of you are terribly misinformed. DC United has no choice but to build another stadium. They are losing too much money renting RFK. Further, DC United bent over backwards to stay in the District at the Poplar Point site. The DC government would not have been in the position to choose a developer there(stabbing DC United in the back in the process) if not for the painstaking leg work put in by DC United for the land.

As for the Northern Virginia complaints, I sympathize. I lived there for fifteen years and feel your pain with regards to the horrible NOVA traffic. However, if you take some time and learn the PG road system the difference in the commute will be no longer than ten minutes (hint: avoid the Beltway). The same is approximately true for the Metro commuting time.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 13, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

What an idiotic move! They can barely get people to attend games in DC (centrally located) so they move WAY out to the burbs (no public transporation, fairly dangerous area)....smart. Is a new stadium really worth that??

Posted by: DowntownClown1 | February 13, 2009 3:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DowntownClown1
---------------------------
that's a joke, right? (don't mind me, I don't get a lot of people's humor.) the projected sights are right on a metro station and only 12 minutes further than RFK. by the way, the poplar point location would have required a change to the green line, plus the three or four more stops, likely making it a LONGER commute for virginians than these pg county sites.

Posted by: troy6 | February 13, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse

I also don't like 24K as the size. It is not optimistic that DC fan base and soccer popularity will ever grow. Unless the design allows for future enlargement I think they would be better off at 27K or even 30K.

Posted by: RRP1 | February 13, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

troy6,

Great point. I'm curious to see the responses.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 13, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I think if they move there, the stadium should be about 8K. They should be able to get about 8K on a Saturday, and about 4K during the week. If they add Go-Go night a few times a year, perhaps knock it up to 10K.

Posted by: Hoost | February 13, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I live in VA, I've got season tickets -- I'm in.

Ditto.

Posted by: Section117 | February 13, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Vienna, VA here. I'm in!! Let's get rolling.

formerly steve-o. how did you folks keep your old names with this new log in thing. I've been meaning to ask for weeks.

Posted by: torrey151 | February 13, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm in VA and going the Pg County is fine - I just wish that PG county was not in Maryland...

I'm more concerned about how bad they are gonna stink this season. Still don't have a solid back line since Nowak left.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | February 13, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

. . . . of course, if The Vic really thinks Maryland is going to pick up 75% of the cost, this is a long long way from a done deal. On closer read, it sounds more like DCU and PG are in agreement that if someone else pays for it, they'd love to have a new stadium . . . . This is a tough sell given the budget situation in MD . . . . unless of course theplan is to pay for it with 10,000 slot machines at the stadium!!

Posted by: OWNTF | February 13, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

People are acting like they just built the stadium. Until construction begins, I'll be Zzzzzzz...

Posted by: TCompton | February 13, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DowntownClown1 | February 13, 2009 3:26 AM

You are indeed a clown. Get your facts straight. There is a very good chance that this new stadium will be built in an area that's both SAFER than RFK and CLOSER to Metro.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 13, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

torrey151 | February 13, 2009 7:42 AM

You have to ask them to disable your account and then you can get a new account with your old name.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 13, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Under the team's deal with the commission, United will pay the city $1.2 million a year in exchange for use of the stadium and control of revenue streams from concessions and parking, Moses said."

Wait, I thought parking and concessions were *not* under team control - just tickets?

Posted by: LookingDangerous | February 12, 2009 7:00 PM

I second this question from the Metro comments, and it's been raised here too -- do we know the answer? And is $1.2m rent really that onerous if you sell even 10,000 tickets x 15 games x $25 (ha) per ticket?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 13, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

The Maryland Stadium Authority which presumably will be DCU's partner, has bonding authority as they operate both Camden Yards and Ravens Stadium. With DCU contributing some of the upfront stadium cost and the authority borrowing the remainder, revenue from the stadium would pay the bonds. Thats of course IF the stadium authority can find investors. PG county would probably contribute toward some infrastructure like sewer and water etc. This is going to be a complicated deal and we don't even know what ownership's other development plans around the stadium will entail. Hopefully, we will know more on monday.

Posted by: sbg1 | February 13, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

We are talking about 4 or five additional Metro stops beyond Stadium-Armory (RFK) on the same line. What's the big deal? I used to go to games from VA, and sometimes prefered to drive, but everyone knows how to use Metro and 4-5 additional stops shouldn't keep any real fan from the games.

If this option does actually happen, once everybody sees an awesome, new, soccer staudium go up with the United badge built into the seats, the championship banners proudly displayed, and huge replay screens unlike anything ever at RFK... come on -- who wouldn't travel another 5 stops?

Vamos United! Let's get a stadium built!

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | February 13, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

No matter how DCU's Ministry of Propaganda spins this, this is a major blow for the upper management the team. When AEG wanted to offload DCU and KP was sent scrampling to pick up the tab, he recruited Vicor and Will on the promise of the Emerald City on Poplar Point, not something in DPG (Dreaded Prince George's). He paid mid-six figure dollars of Vic and Will to Arent Fox to lobby the District to get it done and all he has to show for it is a job with that lobbying firm for his daughter. He and the other mouthpieces at DCU can say all they want, but this is a significanet blow. Does not anyone remember what JKC went through with the District to get a stadium built for the Redskins with mostly his own money? If the District can let the Redskins flee, did any smart person actually think that they wouldn't let a soccer team go? Please.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 13, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the rest of MLS, DC United fans. And that's not a bad thing. A SSS in PG County is still 1,000X better than losing money (and the team) at RFK.

Posted by: kebzach | February 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

It'll be fine. I don't get why Virginians complain about Maryland. The sites mentioned are a couple of Metro stations beyond RFK. For drivers, Maryland is much smaller, geographically. The sites mentioned are approximately as close to the District line as the Virginia Square Metro. I think that Virginians will forget all about it being on what they perceive to be the wrong side of the river once ground is broken.

Posted by: Cavan9 | February 13, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse