United Nears Deal for Gomez

As we've been telling you for weeks, a trade is in the works, and two independent sources say it might be finalized today or tomorrow: Argentine midfielder Christian Gomez, the 2006 MLS most valuable player, appears to be on his way back to D.C. United.

From what I can gather, Colorado will receive a player and other considerations, possibly including the designated player slot that the Rapids sent to United last winter for Gomez. That appears to be a lot for a 34-year-old who barely played late last season because of coaching decisions. However, I assume Colorado is going to have to pick up a significant portion of his salary ($385,000 base in 2008).

Gomez would fill the attacking midfield role vacated by compatriot Marcelo Gallardo, whose one-year stay in Washington was a bust. United and Gallardo severed ties a few weeks ago, allowing him to sign with a club back home.

Hopefully, more details later.....

Whatcha think of Gomez's imminent return? And who do you think would be sent to the Rapids in the trade?

By Steve Goff  |  February 9, 2009; 10:47 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Pachuca and Barcelona
Next: USA, DCU, SJ and Toronto

Comments

Hm, my initial reaction is that if DCU gives up the DP slot and a player, that's too much. But I guess it really depends on which player.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 9, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I know alot of the United fans will welcome this move. I personally think Gomez still has something to offer. I know we all remember him riding the bench at the end of last year, but few remember he was an All-Star, and performed well against the Hammers. United being competitive makes the league better, so heres hoping Gomez can find his form.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...we get an aging midfielder. We probably sent them a promising young attacker or our one reliable defender.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 9, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Hope he does better for DC than he did for Colorado. Colorado needs an outside midfielder if Cooke is leaving. How about Santino?

Posted by: hacksaw | February 9, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

This seems like a move of desperation for DCU. Having said that I assume that Colorado is happy to unload the salary (or at least part of it). If Colorado is paying any significant portion of the salary, then I assume that they will want a serviceable player but looking at the DC roster nobody in particular comes to mind (that DC would likely be willing to part with).

Posted by: realslfan | February 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Gomez back in theory, but in practice I fear that the team has evolved it's playing style in the past year in a way that it would be difficult for Gomez to fit back in.

In addition to more wing play now, we've also got a less aggressive defensive midfield to pick up balls behind Gomez. He's never been great at tracking back on defense. And 32 is a lot different than 34.

I think I'd rather see us go after another central midfielder (or two), or even for Fred to be recalibrated to a #10.

Posted by: dcbird | February 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think this is a bad idea. If it works I'm due up to eat my shorts or something of that magnitude. Wasn't I talking smack about people kissing their Christian Gomez wallbangers on the way out the door every morning? This is bound to be very controversial. I also think if any thing makes this club look like their FO doesn't know what the heck they're doing it's this...
That being said, if it works out they'll be sure to claim the credit for they're genius.
It might be awkward for a minute, but I can swallow my pride and my better judgement and continue keep doing what I've been doing.
Vamos United!!!
Anyone else going down to Charleston next month for the Challenge Cup?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hacksaw | February 9, 2009 10:58 AM

-------

Dude ... a DP and Santino?? Please, lay down the crack pipe.

Posted by: beergorila | February 9, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Giving up a player seems drastic, they want to get rid of him....
Maybe they can convince Wells to go to Colorado, he seems like the snowboarding type...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm with SonicDeathMonkey (THERE'S a sentence I thought I'd never type...)

I think Gomez can still play. The challenge is to get one or two excellent holding midfielders in there with him, since Gomez tends to go forward without tracking back quickly. Simms and Vide can do that, IMHO.

United will be better than last year as a result. Good enough to win the league? I have no idea...

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 9, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: travio15 | February 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Yes, what happened to Fred playing in the middle, allegedly his preferred location?

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | February 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I think Gomez is also going to be a bust in DC next year. All the reasons he was traded still exist, except now he's older and hasn't had a lot of playing time in a year.

Maybe this is the club lowering its expectations for CCL results vs. Gallardo's signing was an attempt to seriously compete for league and CONCACAF titles.

Posted by: Eugene7 | February 9, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 9, 2009 10:55 AM
----------
Agreed. I really like Gomez but that's too much. Unless the player is Martinez.

Posted by: decoi | February 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Not too thrilled. As good as he was, Gomez's decline last season was predictable, based on 2007 form. And the DP slot seems like too much to give up -- I'd sooner have the flexibility to pursue an upgrade in the June transfer window. The player to be named is also cause for concern. This seems more like an expensive PR move than footie smart. Backward movement. I've never approached any new season with less enthusiasm.

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wells to Colorado makes sense as Colorado lost Bouna Coundoul. They could use a keeper and he might just win the job. Good for both parties.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | February 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I like Gomes and am glad he's on his way back, but...

A DP slot, really?

The player it depends on who it is of course.

Not paying his salary is cool, but I'd rather pay it and keep the DP slot.

Posted by: bighungry | February 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't like this.

Posted by: sitruc | February 9, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@Eugene: "All the reasons he was traded still exist..."

Except of course, for the only reason, his demand of a long term contract...

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the show?

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Uhhh...brain fart. Completely forgot about Pickens. Darn!!! Thought we had one there for a second. I'm actually a little nervous about the player we might give up. We can't afford to give up anyone at the moment.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | February 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Actually, decoi brings up a good point...maybe it is for the rights to Gonzalo Martinez. Goff has mentioned all along that a trade to another MLS club was a possibility for him.

Posted by: combedge | February 9, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Non-United note: Chelsea have sacked Scolari

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If they send a DP slot and a player, it best not be a starter. No Tino, he was great last season and is set to have a monster year this year, especially if Gomez can come in and provide some stability in the line up. Martinez, Kuhmalo (who can play on the wing) Vide, Zaher, someone like that, sure. But NOT a real potential starter.

Posted by: joemybro | February 9, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"However, I assume Colorado is going to have to pick up a significant portion of his salary ($385,000 base in 2008)."
--------

How does the league handle salary caps when a single player's salary is paid by more than one team? Let's say Colorado agrees to continue paying Gomez's $385k base salary, and DCU chips in an extra $300k? It's DP money, but split up between two teams. Could they do that?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 9, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

-Posted by: Eugene7 | February 9, 2009 11:14 AM

How was Gomez's decline apparent by his 2007 form? They guy was our best and at times only good player up until the last minute of the Chicago game at the end of the campaign. His decline in Colorado was a HUGE shock to me, and obviously only the culmination of a player's unhappiness in where he ended up. The reasons for his trade were purely money based, and also throw in the fact that Dave Kasper has been an over ambitious idiot. I know I know... it's not his fault that the players didn't perform last year, but do not punish Gomez's past because Kasper botched his job for the past 12 months.

Gomez might still have something to offer, or he might not. Either way don't justify a negative take on this news by implying that the guy was a drain on United when he left... that simply isn't true.

Posted by: pittmancb | February 9, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm excited to get Gomez back. I was disappointed to see him leave last year. I think DC will give up either Burch or Martinez. DC will probably need to play more of a 3-5-2 to offer Gomez more support in the back. That will require speedy fullbacks or the extra midfielder in the middle. Burch is neither and Martinez is already history.

In the end, this really looks like a rebuilding year for DC United doesn't it.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 9, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather pay his salary to keep the extra DP slot, bc with Emilio as a DP we would not be able to bring in anyone else from the outside market without that extra DP slot. So if they are trying to dump him, and we pick up the salary plus a player then the DP slot seems like way too much.... hopefully the player is Martinez or Boyzzz maybe... possibly Vide now that Jacobsen and De Jong are in camp..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I am not excited by this move at all. Prove me wrong Gomez.

Wells, Doe, or Burch would be good trade bait (but less so Burch). If we lose a DP slot + a player thats a lot to lose.

Posted by: strago | February 9, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Chelsea is 4th and fired their coach? What an awful profession to be in...

The DP slot and a player seems like a lot to give up, when, really, Colorado is in no position to bargain.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

give them Mediate & a 3rd round pick.

Posted by: beergorila | February 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I still think are greatest need right now is defense, especially after the departure of Roger. Seriously, this could be the third offseason in a row where the front office has not addressed the defense. We need athlectic, speedy defenders, not some 30 year old has beens plying their trade in some 2nd or 3rd division. Why can't DC try to go after Jay Demertit who is receiving no playing time at Watford. When are we going to have a real back line.

As for Gomez, I pass on that idea. He had his time, helped us win a MLS Cup. The problem though, was that was a couple of years ago. The dude is 34 freakin years old. There has been at least 1,000 South American 20 somethings with better talent and conditioning that we can get at the same price.

To me, the front office looks very lazy and lethargic this offseason, which is kind of a suprise. Go get us real players.
I am scared of having a backline with Burch and McTavish.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 9, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Chelsea is 4th and fired their coach? What an awful profession to be in...
Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 11:51 AM
===============

Last year they were 2nd in the EPL and CL runners up and fired Grant. What's Portuguese for "schadenfreude?"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Gomez may well have something to offer, but there is NO WAY he is worth a DP slot, much less a DP slot plus a player, I don't care how much of Gomez's $385k Colorado keeps on their books.

Colorado does not want Gomez. They are desperate to deal him, despite Paul Bravo's disingenuous posturing. Gomez did a whole lot of pine-riding for them, whatever the reason. If DC gives them much more than a reserve player, a low draft pick, a ham sandwich, and NO DP slot, they are crazy.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 9, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Give us Gomez and give them the DP spot and an orange traffic cone

Posted by: niknakdcu | February 9, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I am not particularly optimistic about this. 32 is, typically, the last year before players begin to really go into decline. The decline isn't often gradual, but instead is a very speedy erosion of physical ability. For players that didn't look after themselves particularly well, this decline is a virtual guarantee.

Gomez comes to us at 34, with a history of running out of gas before the 70th minute. No amount of past nostalgia, or citing his attempt to haul us past Chicago in the playoffs, will change the fact that he's never been particularly fit and that 34 in soccer is much older than 32. I'd love to be wrong, but I believe this will be no better than a small boost (not enough to turn us into much of a threat).

The only way it could work is if Soehn finds a way to rest Moreno and Gomez effectively, while also replacing them properly. This will not just mean starting Quaranta for whichever one is resting and hoping for the best. You take Moreno or Gomez (especially Moreno) out, everything about this team has to change.

What alarms me more is that Colorado is apparently going to get a player AND more. Aren't they the ones desperate to offload Gomez? How in the world do they have any leverage here? We should be talking about a late round draft pick, or someone like Martinez (a player we have rights to but no intention of using). If we trade Colorado their DP slot back, this will be a failure in negotiations. If we trade them anyone that dresses for matches, I'd consider it a failure. Both teams are desperate, but Colorado should be much more so. Gomez's salary kills their ability to improve their consistently moribund squad. We could make do with Quaranta or Fred in central midfield, provided we bulk up our back four.

I'm trying to think of who we have that's expendable that fills a need for the Rapids. With Jacobson (and McTavish being able to play defensive midfield), Vide might be an extra we don't need. The problem there is that Colorado has plenty of defensive midfielders. Khumalo might find himself struggling for time (competition from Pontius as a wide midfielder/forward, established players like Moreno, Doe, Quaranta, Fred, and Guerrero well ahead of him). I don't see him starting for the Rapids, but he adds an element of skill and creativity that they have precious little of.

I don't know of anyone else we have to offer them.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 9, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Bringing Christian back because we need someone to lead our attack does not bother me as much as the fact that we have no one in line to fill in the shoes for such a key position.

It's like we're driving a car without a spare tire in the trunk. The car's great until we need the spare tire.

Of all the attacking central midfielders out there, Gomez probably has the most pros vs cons, but I would really like to be excited about a young United player who will take over for one of our aging veterans.

As for the DP... who cares. It's a curse. We've already got one, and that's plenty.

Posted by: TCompton | February 9, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Que viva Gomito!! Hopefully he can return to MVP form and with it drag us back to the Cup!!

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Burch.

2 mids behind Gomezzz, 3 in the back.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Even our FO isn't stupid enough to give up a DP slot AND a good player. My guess would be some sort of reserve/young player who isn't likely to see much time on the field. Maybe some one along the lines of Cordiero. Or one of these guys who has never played in a real game for us. Too bad Dyachenko is already gone or we could offer him up.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 9, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Something wreaks! I means something really stinks in here... I dunno what it - oh, what's this? A DP slot AND player for a 34 year-old AM who lost his place on his squad last year? Yup, I know what stinks now. Found it.

I like Gomez, and as DadRyan stated, I too was one of those who was in good riddance mode last year when he left. I am all good if Gomez comes back and makes a fool of me - I'll gladly accept that. BUT, this deal seems very unbalanced. Colorado is in no position to gain like this. However, if they eat 50 - 75% of Gomez's cap-hit, this deal could be excused as somewhat "OK."

Something about the "crazy-as-a-foxness" nature of last year's transactions now seem to be just plain dumb. I have tasted the Kool-Aid, and it does not taste as well as I thought it would.

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 9, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's okay Joedoc. Everyone comes around.....eventually. :)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think the writers panning this deal need to take a hard look at DC's current roster, and stop pretending that finding the next Mario Gori is going to save the team from getting steamrolled this year.

Posted by: otm_shank | February 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"In the end, this really looks like a rebuilding year for DC United doesn't it."

I thought LAST year was supposed to be the rebuilder...

Posted by: dcbird | February 9, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I've never approached any new season with less enthusiasm.

Posted by: oz4dcu | February 9, 2009 11:18 AM
-----------------------------------------------

Were you not here in 2001, 2002, or 2003? We were bad... and we couldn't blame fixture congestion or injuries on that fact.

As for the DP...

I think that the DP was only for two years, so Colorado would receive it back next year w/o DC getting something for it. Better to use it now.

I'd also suspect that Colorado is footing a portion of Gomez's salary. So, that's a plus.

Finally, United has to make room for Gomez. We could either cut one of the younger kids we like and want to see do well, or send another one (maybe one of our many central midfielders who hasn't quite lived up to expectations) to Colorado in favor of working with one of our draft picks.

So...

United gets a discounted Christain Gomez in exchange for:
1. DP option that only has value this year
2. Senior roster player... it won't be a defender knowing our needs.

... and Colorado gets their DP option back plus a senior roster player in exchange for:
1. Christain Gomez at a premium.

Posted by: TCompton | February 9, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

If DCU can bring back Gomez, maybe Chelsea will bring back Avram Grant? Same logic-- you could do worse than competing for EPL title on final day, and Champions' League title game.

On the trade -- the DP slot seems like a big thing to give up right now. Raises a question though -- does Colorado have someone in mind, and DCU does not? If DCU could bring someone in this summer (DP level), that would be a high price to pay. Unless they're thinking they can renegotiate Emilio's deal? He's signed thru the end of the year now, no?

As for the player -- I'm thinking one of the bubble players would be OK -- Zaher, Vide, Miller, or even Doe/Khumalo. If a DP slot is involved, Doe or Khumalo would be too much to throw in.

I want Gomez back, but the price can't be crazily high. Except for the fact that Colorado is throwing in money, it seems the price has gone up since last year, rather than down -- which makes no sense. As far as the money goes, if the Rapids pay part of his salary, is that charged to their cap, or DCUs? We need to leave some woom to wepwace Woger -- I mean, leave room to replace Roger...

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Reeks, not wreaks.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

No way Gomez is worth a DP slot AND a player. If we give away a promising younger player for Gomito I will be gravely disappointed. I think it might owrk out with Gomez returninh, but not worth losing any of our players, (Except maybe Dyanchenko.) ;p

Posted by: boda-united | February 9, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Colorado should just get a player. If I am not mistaken, Emilio has their DP slot. Ours was used for "the little doll". Where are Cooke and Condul going off of Colorado? I welcome Christian back. He didn't need to go in the first place.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 9, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I think the MLS may be in on this to make it happen. Right now the Rapids are staring at being last in the league.

Last winter they gave up their DP for Gomez; Everyone knew at the time it was a terrible trade, looks as though they are tring ot rectify the situation.

Posted by: FutbolDoc | February 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

- This reminds me of the Jaime Moreno story, where he went to NY and did nothing. Then we got him back and the rest is history, lets hope the Christian Gomez story plays out the same way.

Posted by: travio15 | February 9, 2009 11:13 AM

It reminds me of the second comings of Raul Diaz Arce and Roy Lassiter. Those didn't work out quite so well.

Posted by: teeps | February 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

3412 advocates:

Formations aren't interchangeable unless you have so much more talent than everyone else that you can do whatever you please (Brazil's 1970 team fielded 5 players used to being the #10 for their team, for example). A back three requires leadership and organizational ability in the middle even more than a back four. If we're desperate for these qualities playing a 442, we will be positively dying for them in any formation with a back three.

Putting 2 defensive midfielders behind Gomez doesn't solve much when teams can go with the tried-and-true way of scoring goals on DC United: Bypass midfield, pressure our defenders, and wait for the mistake that leaves you with a glorious scoring chance. We could go on the field with 13 players, and we'd still bleed goals because teams don't even bother trying to pass their way through us. What's the point, when we give you a much easier way of scoring?

What back three combination do we have to offer that would even meet the awful standard of last year? Namoff is obviously very strong on the right side in either formation, but that's it. I don't see Burch being able to make the adjustment given his troubles in the middle in 2008. McTavish might actually be better off in a back three than a back four, but he's struggled when having to be on the left, he's clearly not going to lead the group (ruling out the center), and he's not as good as Namoff on the right. Janicki would probably be the best choice of the current squad on the left, but that's not saying much. We have no one able to play the central role anywhere on our roster.

There's also the problem of what we do on the wings. Guerrero is at his best on the left of a 352, but both Fred and Quaranta do not fit on the right. The defensive responsibilities will simply be too much. Both players are prone to fouling and picking up cards, and that will be exacerbated if they're the only person on that side of the field.

This squad isn't too far from being at least OK in a 442 (one center back). The same squad would need that center back even more in a 3412, plus a right midfielder. We've found out the hard way that Josh Gros II isn't just hanging out waiting to be signed. Switching formations to accommodate Gomez will create more problems, not less.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 9, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break! So many negative opinions on Gomez. Gomez will play 5x the number of games Gallardo played last season and will play with HEART. HEART! Something DC needs. Dont forget you had Emilio scoring 20 goals in front of Gomez. If we can get Fred-Gomez-Moreno-Emilio-Quaranta in he mix - the Offense will be pretty tight. Yes these are aged players - but with age comes experience. Support your team for what we got - stop being Debbie Downers

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | February 9, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that we (Colorado) are going to wind up with the short end of the stick AND deserve it!

Posted by: BellusLudas | February 9, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

a dollar and some envelopes?

Posted by: beergorila | February 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

a second round pick, Francis Doe and the rights to Gonzalo Martinez.

We typically lose those second round picks to Europe anyways.

Gomez will be better than Gallardo, but that bar is pretty darn low.

Posted by: churtmah | February 9, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the DP? it's worthless. More and more teams are realizing it ain't it's cracked up to be? Think Colorado is going to sign Thierry Henry with it?

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

(Someone probably wrote this already, But I'm too lazy to read through 50 comments and some novellas*).

If we can get him at a bargain, then the risk:reward ratio is low (or high - which is the denominator? - anyway let's just say "beneficial"). If we have to give up a DP and absorb much of his salary, the the RR ratio is inverted.

*Chest: you lost me at 4-3-2-1 and Brazil 70, but that reminded me of Brazil 66 and this:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Emilio
fred moreno gomez
Simms Quaranta/olsen/vide?
Ivan newCB MCT Namoff

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 9, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

We should ship DP slot, Doe, and Burch, allocation money/picks for Gomez and Corey Gibbs

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | February 9, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CHICO13

Right on!! DP's are good for a few more ticket sales and a higher profile for the league, but it's about wins.

Give Colorado the DP slot that we got when they got Gomez. I think a DP plus a player is too much though . .

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Dear God.

Who actually thought that is was a good idea? How short-sighted can one organization be? DC should be racking their collective brain to find some real defenders, and figure out a formation that works with the resources available.

Gomez is aging. He's half a season from retirement. And even if he was as good as before, he will still have those games where he is invisible, and we always lose those games. Doesn't anyone remember? Doesn't anyone want a team that isn't one season away from collapse, even when things are good?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 9, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@ fischy
My bad. Thanks for the catch.

@ Chest
As always, excellent observation, well presented.

@AnthonyTheGreat
From the "Fire Kaspers" (I don't belong to that group) to the "Fire Soehns" (I was and kind of still am in the group) to the "that ol' Gomez ain't waht he used to be" (also in that group) fans we all have one thing in common - our love for the team. Granted we may not all used the requisit amount of reason when we take our individual stances, but we all share the love just the same.

Yes Emilio was a monster two years ago. The way Gomez plays, the way DCU used to play made that possible. When these guys pushed up into the attack you just knew the goals were coming. But with that came a gaping hole behind them and in front of our D. That's as far as I am willing to go, as Chest so eloquently broke it down in his post. My point is, we don't have the engines to compensate for that hole and most of the players you mentioned are a few days older now. Is Gomez a true 90 min player right now? I could be wrong, but I have some serious reservations about that. Like I said, before I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong on this one. But I just feel like Gomez is not the solution.

What's a Debbie Downer, by the way?

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember 1 MLS Cup and 2 Supporters Shields, and devastation after he left.

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight.

Columbus just won a Supporters Shield and an MLS Cup with an even older Schelloto and DC can't be helped by a player who is a former MVP and really the only player who came up big in big games at any point during the past 4 years for United?

Am I reading this right?

Granted, I know and understand peoples fears about 34 yr old legs in central midfield. For that alone Christian deserves the benefit of the doubt right now with this team. It's about putting weapons out there on the field and teams have to devise a way to shut down Christian, that leaves Jaime and Emilio alone to wreak havoc.

They could have done a lot worse than re-signing Gomez.

Posted by: ARickey | February 9, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Something that no-one has mentioned: starting Moreno and Gomez really limits out tactical flexibility off the bench. You go into EVERY game figuring that 2 of your 3 subs are for Moreno and Gomez around the 70th-75th minute. You save the third sub in case of a GK injury or if someone else gets hurt you sub for them and either hope that Gomez/Moreno (one of them) can go the distance or your GK isn't injured. That's not a good situation to be in, especially against some of the coaches like JCO and Nicol who make lots of in-game tactical changes (formation, roles, tactics and especially subs). For instance, in the Eastern Finals 2 years ago, the entire reason Nicol put Khano Smith in the game was to force us to take off Adu.

Gomez still clearly has a lot of game. I loved his performance and heart for us previously. But ...
1. Don't assume he can replicate that
2. As a player, he needs the right kind of support and right kind of formation. For instance, I'm not sure that ANY of our current outside mids (which are currently a strength of the team) really fit a 3-5-2 or 442 with Gomez in the middle. On the other hand, some of our sharpest games last year were when we effectively fielded two defensive mids and let the outside mids be the offensive forces. Doesn't mean he can't succeed here, it just means we're not the same team in terms of formation, tactics and support that we were a year ago.

Dealing for Gomez is by no means a dumb deal (depends in part upon what we give up) but it is also by no means a guaranteed success. In many ways, it was like signing Gallardo: we're committed to building our team around an aging player who hasn't shown lately he can give you 90 minutes consistently, has lots of skill, but there will also need to be some adjustment among the players/scheme/coach if he's going to fit in. So in some ways he's Gallardo II--his success in 2007 or before (and remember, he started 2007 very slowly) has little impact on how successful he might be in 2009.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that he doesn't prove "You can never go home again" At 34, ehhh...

Again - I as a season ticket holder am OK if I miss the playoffs for young, promising, and fast!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Trade Doe advocates:

Omar Cummings is a similar player, but with more aerial ability and a touch more consistency.

Chico:

When there are teams out there like LA (where Arena's level head may still be overruled by Leiweke and other nutjobs) or Chivas (with no DP slot, horrible attendance, and virtually no connection with the Mexican community they were targeted towards), that DP slot has some value. I agree that we shouldn't use it, but we shouldn't treat it like a 4th round draft pick either.

270:

Cliffs Notes version:

442, no Gomez = 1 gaping hole (CB) + 1 question mark (AM)
352 with Gomez = 2 gaping holes (CB, RM) + 1 question mark (LCB)

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I think it is okay if we bring back Gomez as A player on our roster, but not THE player on our roster.

At his age and with past experience as an indicator, I think we should take the DP $ and split it among Simms, Quaranta, and Namoff.

My .02

Posted by: roadkit | February 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic news! Still waiting on that experienced central defender.

Posted by: mddeblois | February 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Chest, I agree that the DP has that trade value but I don't see us striking a deal with either LA or Chivas this year. United's hemoraging and needs help now. Sitting on the DP for another year doesn't do anybody any good. This team has short and long range problems to look at. First thing they need to do is get back into the W column. The franchise can't afford a wasteland like 2000-2003. They need 20,000 in the seats each and every game. This is a critical time for DC United.

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 9, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

We get Gomez, they get Fenty.

Posted by: Hoost | February 9, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 9, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 9, 2009 11:54 AM

Why would Jay DeMerit want to come to MLS? He worked his butt off to make it in England and is still doing fine, despite being left on the bench a couple matches (after scoring for them in the FA Cup before that).

Also, he makes more at a financially troubled Championship club than all but the top 5 earners in MLS (roughly $500k). Charlton were interested in buying him last week. His future is safe in England.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Haters wanna hate
Doubters wanna doubt

Me? I've got a big stack of Christian Gomez tiene un posse stickers in a box right behind me, just waiting for this deal to go through.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 9, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@ ARickey -
Much respect to Gomez and all he's done for DCU, but a Schelotto he ain't.

Posted by: dcbird | February 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Knowing the recent history of the DCU front office, is anyone by any chance scared that they might ship off a Fred or Guerrero? Our wing play from those two is instrumental to the success of our season. Those two players carry weight as possible bait.

Posted by: Kromer523 | February 9, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@Kromer "is anyone by any chance scared that they might ship off a Fred or Guerrero"

Not in the least.

My assumption is that it's Zaher, Mediate, Thorpe or a free lifetime parking pass at Poplar Point...

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I really wouldn't have a problem with Gomez IF Soehn can manage his minutes so that, come October, he's not so beaten and bruised.

One of my complaints of this league is the way it's defenses make up for the lack of technical capabilities by being thugs.

If United does end up signing Gomez, here's what I would like to see:

Players like Gomez, Jaime, and Olsen, who are clearly in the autumn of their careers, are starters throughout the majority of the season, however they're regularly subbed out in those cases. However, in some home games and road games against struggling opponents, I'd prefer to see them come off the bench. But in both cases, I would prefer to see a particular player act as their understudy... someone who is expected to take the mantel when their mentor retires (or leaves United).

Posted by: TCompton | February 9, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Gomez has fit in well with our scheme. I think one of the issues Gallardo had was he's more of a traditional Argentinian player that likes to roam and be free, whereas Gomez has a more "americanized" style of positioning.

Our attack flowed much smoother with Gomez than it ever did with Gallardo.

Posted by: dogboy | February 9, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

------------------

Yes....unless you don't start them both. Given the # of games in the season, their ages and roles, I could imagine a scenario whereby they sub for each other. That preserves both over the course of the season, and makes sure they can give it 100% for the 30-60 minutes they each play on a given night.

(edgeonyou posting as adatsko)

Posted by: adatsko | February 9, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

First, I like the idea of giving Colorado Wells, purely because it would create the odd overall effect, considering how Wells was acquired (in trade for Boswell) of trading Boswell for Gomez. Nice exlamation point to the FO's experiment in fantasy soccer.

Second, lets put aside all the speculation about whether "this" Gomez will have the abilities of "the old" Gomez, and remember how much he meant to this team and its fans. Remember when Gomez served a suspension by driving to NY to sit with the fans and literally beat the drum as his team played the hated Red Bulls? Gomez was the living beating heart of this team. Management ripped that heart out last year when they let him walk. Whether or not Gomez version 2 works out, I like the signal that I see management trying to send to all of us: we made a mistake. We learned a lesson on the values of chemistry and loyalty. We are trying to make good.

Third, Gomez fit United's style. His manic runs through the middle and darting attacks were things of pure joy. And the rest of the team fed off his energy. The trick this year will be for the team to learn how to embrace that energy, without being wholly dependent on it, as occurred in the past.

Fourth, isn't there an option here to use Gomez and Moreno somewhat interchangeably? That should cut down on fatigue for both, leaving us able to compete at the end of the year.

Come back, friend, we missed you.

Posted by: regularfan | February 9, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Pardon the multiple posts. I can't pull myself away.

ARickey:

Schelotto's fitness right now is better than Gomez's ever has been in MLS. He's taken care of himself, which is why he can be so good even at his age.

JoeW:

Great point. Soehn has shown a willingness to make adjustments in-game, with his success rate probably around .500. Needing to sub those two off would pretty much take that option away from him.

Chico:

You have a good point. On-field success, with the current stadium situation (and what it means to ownership) is vital. I still see the DP slot and a player as too much to trade for any attacker that couldn't get off the Rapids' bench. I mean, that's like being a defender on our bench. No matter what the reason Gary Smith had, Gomez wasn't able to get into the team ahead of Mehdi Ballouchy.

regularfan:

Management didn't let Gomez walk. They offered him a pretty generous deal for someone his age. He turned it down. Both sides had great points: DCU couldn't realistically use their DP slot on a player that isn't a big name beyond MLS, especially with Emilio also wanting that same slot. Gomez, meanwhile, was within his rights as an MVP to become one of the top-paid players in MLS. The realities of the cap meant that these two ideas couldn't possibly meet.

Your 3rd point is based on what Gomez was. Manic runs and energetic play are precisely what I think will sharply decline. Take those things away from Gomez, and even with his skill level he's still easy to contain.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

...

Come back, friend, we missed you.

Posted by: regularfan | February 9, 2009 2:22 PM
________________________________________

What he said. ^^^^^

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | February 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: travio15 | February 9, 2009 11:13 AM

Posted by: teeps | February 9, 2009 12:41 PM

There is NO way I am putting Lassiter or Diaz Arce in the same category as a Moreno or Gomez. I will not do it, but point well taken.

Posted by: travio15 | February 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

While Gomez has indeed had some issues going a full 90, it was his all out assault on Chicago 2 years ago that almost had us through the playoffs. It all happened after 75 minutes, 2 goals, down, and he nearly did it, through sheer desire and skill.

And that was in October / November.

I'm a fan of this move today. If this was going to be our only big move of the off season 3 months ago, not so happy. But our alternatives TODAY don't look better than this. Today.

Posted by: JkR- | February 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Marco.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@mattgs84- What do you think about this?

Emilio

Fred Moreno Gomez

Guerrero-Quaranta Olsen-Simms

Burch NewCB McTavish Namoff

Crayton

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

redskinssux, Personally I like it but FIFA might frown about having 13 players on the pitch.

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 9, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------

I was waiting for this to be invoked...didn't think it would take so long. Not until the 81st post!

Posted by: combedge | February 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I think we should sign Usain Bolt.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 9, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Redskin I'm not big on Burch he is too slow. He is fine as a backup and serves a good cross when given time and space on the ball but teams quickly figured that out so he doesn't get many chances anymore. Ivan is a better LB and I don't really see him playing centrally at all. Burch will probably be gone next year if wallace pans out.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 9, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Well is isn't this grand...

Time to re-light!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 9, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@Chico "redskinssux, Personally I like it but FIFA might frown about having 13 players on the pitch"

With Guerrero-Quaranta Olsen-Simms only one player is chosen. So, for example, Quaranta and Olsen as central and defensive midfielders.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Really? I thought those were hyphenated names because Ivan married Quaranta's sister.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"Time to re-light!"

Re-light what? Are you being influenced and affected by the actions of Michael Phelps? I knew that guy was up to no good!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is the 'afternoon rush' on Steve's blog, ha ha.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 9, 2009 3:05 PM

Guerrero is an option at left back? Does he know that?

As of this second (assuming Gomez), our first team could be...

-------------Crayton------------

Namoff--McTavish--Janicki--Burch

Quaranta------Simms-----Guerrero

--------------Gomez-------------

----Fred-------------Emilio-----

We better find some more defenders or score a lot of goals!

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Dude I thought I was the Designated Potsmoker...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

There's plenty of Designated Pot Smoker's for everyone!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

redskinsux:

with a name like mine... I would assume you would know what to re-light.

Don't be an idiot... oh wait, yer the one who wanted a Starting 13...

never mind...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 9, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I keep checking DCU's site and BTB for news... I found this tid bit about an official DCU US/Mex viewing party that I assume is worth sharing:

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kev

Guerrero plays LB for the Honduran national team.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 9, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't like this.

Posted by: sitruc | February 9, 2009 11:25 AM

---------------------------------

Agreed

Posted by: Josh8 | February 9, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Guerrero plays LB for the Honduran national team.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 9, 2009 3:29 PM

Cool - but will he want to do that for United? And would we play Burch or Fred on the left side of midfield?

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Kev

I posted my proposed lineup above it was 4-2-3-1 with Fred at LM and ivan at LB.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 9, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

4-3-2-1
Earth below us.
Drifting, falling.
Floating weightless.
Coming home.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Bad idea.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 9, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think a 4-5-1 would work great.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 9, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Seems pretty obvious to me that switching Gomez for Gallardo is a significant downgrade.

The FO need to do something productive with the $1MM they will save from losing Gallardo. Unfortunately it looks like they will not, and DCU will be even more mismatched against Latin American competition, etc.

What the team needs is a star DP, not this. And apparently this will foreclose the possibility of adding a legit DP.

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 9, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Well in, I-270.

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 9, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, gang ...

CHRISTIAN GOMEZ TIENE UN POSSE.

So there. Ha.

Posted by: bs2004 | February 9, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey, when I moved to colorado I was really psyched that I was going to be able to watch Gomez play and I thought he was really going to help the team. But, for some reason he was just awful.

I don't hate the guy, I just can't see why someone would think that whatever happened to him when he moved to Colorado is suddenly going to go away when he moves back to DC. At least Moreno had an excuse when his game tanked for a while; he had back problems (didn't he?) Gomez has no problems, except maybe he just decided he didn't want to train any more.

I don't know. DC is desperate and so they'll try this. But, it could really backfire. But, what other options does DC have right now. Seems like not many.

Posted by: hacksaw | February 9, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

So Payne and Kasper admit they screw up ever letting Gomez go. It wasn't their first or last mistake just a real big one.

Posted by: euroman | February 9, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Can Gomez play CB?

Before I read about Roger leaving, I was actually starting to get optimistic about our chances in 2009, with Roger leading the defense and Jacobson in central midfield. That lineup would have been better than our lineup in 2008. And we were only 2 points out of the playoffs in 2008. But with OR without Gomez, the biggest hole in our lineup is at CB for the third year in a row.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 9, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that Payne or Kasper are admitting to screwing anything up.

It's a pretty simple discussion here.

1. United's playmaker decided to leave the team.

2. United needs a new playmaker.

3. Christian Gomez is a playmaker who has fit well with United before.

4. Christian Gomez is available.

5. No one other playmaker is available at Gomez's pricetag.

6. Sign Christian Gomez.