United Addition

D.C. United has acquired a central defender.

I've never heard of him.

You've never heard of him.

Read more about Gambia native Mamadou "Futty" Danso by clicking here.

By Steve Goff  |  February 13, 2009; 6:02 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Quaranta, Olsen
Next: Beckham Stays.....for Now

Comments

Perfect. He plays footy.

Sorry. The power of Christ compels me...

Posted by: mmathai1 | February 13, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, according to his rap sheet on BehintheBadge, he might be what we need.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 13, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Futty is a devout Muslim, and observes the Ramadan fast. I don't know when Ramadan is this year, but this might be a problem.....

Also, he is "The Gambia's Mamadou Danso", so he'll fit in nicely with Nakamura's "the United"....

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I almost hate to mention his Facebook page -- the internet is an awful thing.

Futty Ballack Danso

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I've already ordered my personalized Danso home-jersey. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 13, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, he is on the Sounder's Insider blog archive. He was training with them on Sunday.

Here is one bleak video of what seems to be him on a break away chance. He didn't score.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 13, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

It's "United," not "the United," but it's "The Gambia."

Posted by: b18bolo | February 13, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- There's a fan blog, clarets-mad.co.uk, which describes a Burnley preseason training match last summer against the Carolina Railhawks. The blogger credits Danso with strong defensive work for the Railhawks.... As I've checked with the Railhawks site, it seems Danso was on the Cary Railhawks -- U-23 side.

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

This has easily been one of the most eventful days in United history, IMO

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | February 13, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, he is not exactly the veteran center back who I thought that they might sign bu I am sure that deal is in the works with someone. It looks like he would get a developmental spot but he also would likely take an international roster spot as well and those spots are becoming scarce. Sounds like Futty is this season's OWACB (Obscure West African Center Back) - last season it was Sierra Leone's Ibrahim Koroma.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | February 13, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought The Boy Wayne was my new signing?

Shut up, Sven....

Posted by: JkR- | February 13, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

37 days till United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 13, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

An undrafted NAIA standout, who was in Seattle's camp but is still available...on paper at least, I think we're talking about a developmental contract, right? Seattle's center backs are Tyrone Marshall, Tyson Wahl, and Taylor Graham; they're not in the position to turn down good center backs.

How did we end up ahead of Seattle on the waiver list? I suppose that's never going to be answered thanks to MLS's opaque policies, but it's still worth asking.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 13, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

For losers, like me, who have nothing better to do than WP Insider on a Friday night: Video Clip of mostly, "Futty" in a game. He's a force to be reckoned with.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 13, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

No offense, Steve.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 13, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

At least for us, I thought the Crayton signing was more random...

Southern Polytechnic has athletic teams? I live 10 miles from there and don't know one thing about it.

Posted by: Reignking | February 13, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

This type of signing will surely put seats in our new stadium in Largo.

Posted by: Hoost | February 13, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Make that butts in seats.

Posted by: Hoost | February 13, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, watched the video. MLS will be a big step up in speed, skill, etc. I guess he never makes the team, but we'll see.

Posted by: RRP1 | February 13, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Beckham is staying with LAG...at least according to si.com

Posted by: VTUnited | February 13, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Mamadou "Futty" Danso? THE Mamadou "Futty" Danso?

Posted by: stairs | February 13, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I've heard of him.

Posted by: B_A_ | February 13, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I love this guy -- scored 19 goals and still said he wanted to play center back. He's obviously crazy, which is one of the criteria for playing center back.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 13, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Was this the Waiver draft that has occurred in previous years??

Posted by: SexyOffender | February 13, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@redskinssux -- Thank you for that clip. I was having a tough day -- no mirth. I thought my mostly over-35 co-ed rec team stinks. Wow. And, you can get yourself an NAIA All-America honorable mention playing in games like that? The free kick that came to Danso at 1:00 in the vid -- without a doubt, the worst (lack of) effort at marking I've ever seen. The best bit is that Danso was probably so shocked to be that unmarked that he headed it wide. He should stick to center back. Go, Futty.

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow...that clip sucked. Looks like he won't be coming forward on set pieces or anything....if he makes the team.

Posted by: voetbol07 | February 13, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, in light of the stadium talk, and in anticipation of the upcoming season, I decided to create a red third kit for us (its just the design used for the other too).

But it makes me want them!

Posted by: hokieunited | February 13, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Hope this kid makes the team... he is young and could have potential and provide depth..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I like the red. You can hardly see the logo....

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

In other news, Quavas Kirk was released from his "trial" with Seattle... It appears they were attempting to convert him to a fullback... He's better off latching onto a USL side

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 13, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Waiver drafts used to come into play since teams retained a player's MLS rights even if the team cut the player. Those days are gone (i.e. which is why Quaranta did not cost DCU anything in terms of trading for his rights in NY).

In Futty's case, he was a Junior in college and left early to enter MLS - so MLS apparently had to run through the waiver rankings to allow teams to get him. Otherwise, underclassmen could leave early and sign with the team of their choice to avoid being drafted by just any old team. If he was a more known and wanted player, I imagine that there might have been a lottery for his rights.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | February 13, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 10:07 PM

Ha Ha Ha, greatest comment ever! YOU MADE MY NIGHT, FISCHY!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 13, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I like the red. You can hardly see the logo....

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 10:49 PM

Reminds me too much of Chicago. Though, I like it too.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 13, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think the red would have to match the red of the badge.... plus we were around first, before 'The' Fire.

But, in the case of the badge, you would have to put like a black badge behind it or something, so that it stood out more.

Posted by: hokieunited | February 14, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

This guy looks terrible.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 14, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Great. The speed of Greg Vanney, the touch and control of Facundo Erpen, the scoring touch of Guy Kpene and the vast experience of Chris Pontius, all rolled into one. What more could we ask for?!?

Posted by: throwin | February 14, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

For you, throwin, I'd say "sleep."

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 14, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

So he's probably not going to be the next Onyewu. But if we acquired him through the waiver process, then that means at least we didn't have to give up anything to get him. Give him a chance to see if he makes the team. I just hope this doesn't mean that the team is done it's search for center backs.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 14, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't think he was "undrafted" as much as he was "draft ineligible" since he was an underclassman.

Kiki Willis was an underclassman who went through waivers IIRC. There's some history there but it's still a murky part of MLS rules.

Posted by: undrafted | February 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I knew SPSU and had heard of this guy. I went to a game last year cause a friend from high school is their goalie.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 15, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse