USA-Mexico Contingency Plan?

With thunderstorms and severe winds in the forecast here in Columbus, USSF Prez Sunil Gulati was asked whether the USA-Mexico qualifier tonight could be postponed.

"In the far event that something that almost never, ever, ever happens in soccer happens, in the far event one of the team's buses stalls on the highway and they can't get there for seven hours ... we're going to get this game played. We're going to make sure it is done in a way that is safe for the spectators and participants. If there is an electrical storm that lasts 10 hours -- nine hours longer than we have ever had -- then we will figure that out. Is it possible that we have a thunderstorm and the referee says, 'We are going to wait a little while.'? Yes."

By Steve Goff  |  February 11, 2009; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Mexico , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Cup Update
Next: Garber Sets Beckham Deadline

Comments

What a bizarre answer to a rational question. Our soccer federation is run by very strange people.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 11, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done. It is a far far more obfuscated statement than have ever escaped my lips.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Is Sunil worried about voodoo?

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

As long as during the delay the vendors are still selling beer? Who cares!!!
In columbus for the game; can't wait. A few mexican shirts in the streets, and a few US shirts. Weather is really warm and windy.

Can't wait! Go USA!

Posted by: hacksaw | February 11, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Also, sort of off topic, but went to the Clauddaugh Irish Pub in Columbus last night (great place, by the way, similar to Summers except it actually feels like you are in a pub); met a few guys from the Columbus supporters group. He went on tv news and actually said that he was proud Frankie Hejduk was on roster because he is "so liked and respected" around the country (or something to that affect... I had a few to drink). Anyway, I didn't have the heart to tell him that Frankie's image outside of Columbus may not be so positive.... (having said that...it's ok with me if he starts tonight. He's at home and if he can avoid a red he's a reliable back in such big games.)

Posted by: hacksaw | February 11, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Correction. Almost never happens unless you're DC United!

My shoes still haven't dried out from the 2008 monsoons.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 11, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding? I love Frankie. No one gives more out there.

Posted by: Reignking | February 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

How many cell phones were lost on that night?

Posted by: ncguy | February 11, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Reignking, the boy's got heart.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 11, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The only time I'm not cheering for Frankie Hey Dude is when he play against DCU.

Posted by: boda-united | February 11, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Let me put what Sunil is trying to say like this...by someone's fault, be it your own or Big Bully Mike's, the two of you have an appointment behind the Gym after school. Much can happen by the ring of the final bell, yes. But that bell will toll and not unless a parent or older sibling happens to stop by to pick you up, or a teacher just happens to be leaving right about when you're ready to leave - it's happenin' baby. ;-)

Here's hoping no teacher, parent or older sibling gets involved, because I'll be waitin' behind the Gym, with Big Mike...cruisin' to witness a brusin'.

USA all the way!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 11, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, typical Sunil answer. A simple "we hope it doesn't come to that" would have sufficed.

As for Frankie, after Landon he's practically the next name on the team sheet in a game like this. Okay, that's hyperbole, but a guy like Dukes is exactly what you need.

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 11, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

If he waits, I hope it doesn't run into Lost.

Posted by: Section117 | February 11, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Correction. Almost never happens unless you're DC United!

My shoes still haven't dried out from the 2008 monsoons.

Posted by: KireDCU | February 11, 2009 12:26 PM "

No kidding. I fondly remember the "Where is the beerman?" chant after play resumed in the Houston game (answer: he left so he could take the last metro train). And the "We're all serving in Tommie's naaaavy..." song.

Fondly, because I'm not cold and wet anymore ;)

Posted by: noptov | February 11, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse