USA-Mexico Warmups

To get you in the mood for tonight's World Cup qualifier.....

*Who had the most starts for the USA in the first two stages of qualifying? Not Landon Donovan, Oguchi Onyewu or Tim Howard. Try left back Heath Pearce with seven in eight games.

*Donovan has the most caps on the USA roster (105), Robbie Rogers has the least (one).

*Frankie Hejduk (34) is the oldest, Jozy Altidore (19) is the youngest.

*Donovan is one goal shy of tying Brian McBride (10) for the most in USA qualifying history.

*Since losing to Honduras at RFK Stadium in September 2001, the USA is 40-0-10 at home against CONCACAF opponents with a 117-16 scoring advantage.

*The USA has not suffered a shutout loss in a home qualifier since 1985 and has gone 21 straight home games (all competitions) without a shutout loss (1-0 to Morocco in Nashville before the 2006 World Cup).

*Other CONCACAF qualifiers today:
Trinidad and Tobago at El Salvador, 8 p.m. ET
Honduras at Costa Rica, 9:30 p.m. ET

*On the front page of the Columbus Dispatch this morning, an Ohio State astronomy professor was asked how expected high winds would impact tonight's game: "All the aerodynamic effects on the ball will be magnified." Paul Blart could have told us that.

*The early-morning rain has passed, leaving a sliver of sunlight, but another storm front is approaching.

Back again soon.....

By Steve Goff  |  February 11, 2009; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: MLS Cup Considerations

Comments

I'm ready.

Posted by: sitruc | February 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

VIVA USA

Posted by: eggitmon | February 11, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

sadly all streaks come to an end. hopefully not 2night.

Posted by: gode | February 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

you really had to go and mention our "not shutout on US soil" streak out loud, didn't you?

I am psyched for the game tonight, got the old-school blue jersey on at work.

Hope the guys aren't over-confident tonight, I'm in the mood for a good smack-down. Wish the weather was about 45 degrees colder (the press box is heated, right?) ;-)

Posted by: dcufan | February 11, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

So, what you're saying, Professor, is that wind blows things around? My *GOD*! Think of the potential! Why, you could craft a vessel that could harness the power of the wind to propel you across the ocean!

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

If only EdtheRed had been on that island instead of Gilligan...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

So if Mexico blows before the wind really kicks up....

Posted by: billq1 | February 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

USA, 1-0. Goal by Gooch, off a header.

Did somebody say "wind"?

"Do you remember
the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away"

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the Columbus paper had gotten an OSU Aerodynamics Prof, as opposed to one that looks through telescopes?

Posted by: kolbkl | February 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm not feeling so good about this one. Everything is in the US favor, which usually means a poor US result. Mexico is definitely motivated because they have been hearing about the US dominance for years now. While I think the US wins, I would not be surprised if the US is significantly outplayed for long stretches in this game, to the point where I can hear the familiar Mexican excuse of "the better team did not win." This time, I may actually agree with the Mexicans.

MLS is not in-season and we do not have enough starters playing regularly in Europe. I am worried!

Posted by: therealfootball | February 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Truth be told, I'm not too worried about this result. That's because this Hexagonal is not as scary as having to play Guatemala, Jamaica, Panama, and Canada.

Sure, Azteca, San Pedro Sula, and Saprissa are difficult places to play at, but not as bad as Mazatenango, The Office, Panama City, or BMO Field.

In fact, I'd rather get a draw out of this because it gives Sven Goran Eriksson job security, which means Mexico will go downhill before making a coaching change which will come too late. Remember: El Tri was perhaps one or two goals away from NOT making it to the Hex.

We can beat the other four Hexagonal members at home any time, any place. We can take three at Trinidad, one each from the other three.

Mexico? Feh. Just a bump in the road.

Posted by: bs2004 | February 11, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kolbkl | February 11, 2009 10:56 AM
============

Astronomy is a weird department. the faculty could contain chemists, geologists, and physicists. OTOH, given the wind, Frankie's crosses will become celestial objects.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 11, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Seeing how the majority of OSU students major in Oil Change 101 that quote from the professor doesn't surprise me.

Why yes, I am a Michigan fan, why do you ask? :D

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 11, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

A Michigan fan cracking on oil change majors? Too funny!

We are
Penn State!

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

And it's Ohio State, not like there were a lot of good profs to pick from as it was.

Um, go blue! (and red and white too)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 11, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Yo joedoc, google academic rank for the University of Michigan then Penn State and get back to me, will ya?

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 11, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

HARVARD PWNS ALL.

Posted by: bs2004 | February 11, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Interesting proposition bet...Over/Under on the number of cards shown tonight? For clarity's sake, I'd count two yellows -> red as three cards and a straight red as one.

I'd put the O/U at 5. If the game is slow with a wet field, folks are going to start getting chippy. And I'd take the over.

Posted by: daandre3 | February 11, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 11, 2009 12:19 PM
__________________________________________

Actually, the metereorology departments of these institutions form the relevant basis of comparison. Perhaps someone would like to get back to us on that.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 12, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse