USA-T&T in Nashville

Sources confirmed to the Insider late tonight that the USA's World Cup qualifier on April 1 against Trinidad and Tobago will be played at LP Field in Nashville, site of a friendly vs. Morocco in 2006 and the late stages of Olympic qualifying last March. Awfully big stadium (68,798) for a mid-week match against the Soca Warriors -- no T&T supporters within hundreds of miles, I guess. I figure 12,000 in attendance. An official venue announcement will be made Tuesday.

So here's how the schedule looks for the next few months:

Feb. 11: vs. Mexico in Columbus
March 28: at El Salvador in San Salvador
April 1: vs. T&T in Nashville

[UPDATE]
My predictions for the other home games:
June 7: vs. Honduras in Denver
Sept. 5: vs. El Salvador in Salt Lake City
Oct. 14: vs. Costa Rica in Washington

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  February 2, 2009; 11:35 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA in '18 (or '22)
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

very, very strange. Perhaps they wanted to recapture the magic of pre-2002 World Cup friendly matches?

In better news, according to soccernet.com Jimmy McNulty transferred from Stockport County to Brighton for 150,000 pounds! How about Crystal Palace USA - the Bunk misses you!

Posted by: churtmah | February 3, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

sorry that's 2006. Where does the time go?

A terrible 1-0 loss to Morocco in the first of the "send-off" matches. In the first XI: Claudio Reyna, John O'Brien, Cory Gibbs, Eddie Pope and Josh Wolffe. I guess things have changed somewhat in the past 3 years.

Posted by: churtmah | February 3, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

WOW a cavernous NFL stadium... GENIUS US SOCCER!!!! UGH!

Posted by: arswift24 | February 3, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

@churtman
- the Bunk misses you!

damn funny.

Posted by: decoi | February 3, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I miss the Bunk....

Posted by: fischy | February 3, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I can attend a game. Columbus was too far for me, but I might be able to do Nashville! Coming from Arkansas. I wish it could have been in Dallas or even Memphis, instead. I probably won't miss this one. I've only seen the Latvia game played in Hartford, CT.. this will be a better game for sure.

Posted by: mcadaal | February 3, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Rocky Top on the steel drums...Yellow Bird on a fiddle.

Posted by: troy6 | February 3, 2009 4:06 AM | Report abuse

Selfishly, I might be able to make it, as there are short, direct flights to Nashville, so that's good.

But this seems very odd. Why wouldn't USSF use the newer, "soccer" stadia? What was wrong with Salt Lake or Dallas or Denver for this one?

Chicago hosted TnT in the last round and did not draw well, but if the crowd is as Goff guesses, which seems reasonable, won't the atmosphere be that much worse in Nashville?

Posted by: CDRHoek | February 3, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

oh, I get it now. April 1...Nashville...ha ha, April Fool's, very funny!

I look forward to the announcement of the real site.

Posted by: CDRHoek | February 3, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I think the naysayers are going to be surprised by the attendance figures. I went to the Morocco game before the 2006 WC which I think was held on a Thurs. night and attendance was approximately 20,000. As long as US Soccer doesn't jack ticket prices up too high in this economy people will come. I think people from other parts of the country forget that soccer fans in the south don't have the opportunity to go to many top quality soccer games, no MLS team, so when the national team comes to town its a big deal. I talked to people at the game in '06 who were from Memphis, Kentucky, Alabama, and Atlanta. Nashville is the ideal spot because it located centrally in the southeast.

Posted by: flanier | February 3, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I really thought this match would be in DC.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 3, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Rocky Top on the steel drums...Yellow Bird on a fiddle.

Posted by: troy6 | February 3, 2009 4:06 AM
==================

Thanks. Now I'll be singing yellow bird all day.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 3, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

So much for DC hosting a WCQ game...

Posted by: Barracudas | February 3, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

If the USSF wants to have games in the southeast at a stadium that fits more than a few thousand, Nashville's probably the best candidate. Hell, it might be just about the only candidate. But lighten up, the friendly against Morocco drew over 25k.

Just looked at Southwest, there are seven non-stop flights a day each way between BWI and Nashville. And they're $78 o/w. It would be possible to fly out on the afternoon of the 1st and back on the first flight on the 2nd, and only take a half day off. Might do it.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 3, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

oh, I get it now. April 1...Nashville...ha ha, April Fool's, very funny!

I look forward to the announcement of the real site.

Posted by: CDRHoek | February 3, 2009 7:06 AM
-------------------------------------------
From your mouth to God's ears...

Posted by: yankiboy | February 3, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Um, perhaps we should look at these new stadiums that have been built for games like that - y'know - places like Rio Tinto, Toyota Park, Dick's SG Park, Pizza Hut Park...

I mean - Mexico and other games could be great games for NFL Stadiums. T&T - not so much.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 3, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

As I've reported, RFK is the front-runner for the Costa Rica game in October and SLC is the front-runner for the El Salvador game in September. Which means Denver is a top candidate for the Honduras game in June.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 3, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Why Nashville? Three factors--
Weather: Decent weather in April; played the Olympic qualifiers in March here last year.
Fan demographics: T/T will not be a strong opponent, so throw out fan demographics. It’s not like the U.S. is playing Mexico in Houston, where the stadium would be filled with opposing fans. T/T does not have a huge following anywhere in the U.S., so USSF probably felt that it could host this match anywhere without concern for the opposing team’s fans taking over the stadium.
Venue: Modern stadium with great people to work with.
Also, Nashville is a four-hour drive from half the world, and Southwest flies into and out of Nashville 1,000 times per day.

LP Field hosted a Galaxy exhibition match in 2004. Then came a WNT friendly, followed by a 2006 WC send-off match vs. Morocco. Last year it hosted the four final games of Olympic qualifying.

Posted by: wwwamericansoccertriviacom | February 3, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Any word on DC potentially hosting some Gold Cup matches? I would love it if the semis and finals were here. I kind of get the feeling that DC would end up hosting one of the groups that the US is NOT in because we have such a large contingent of supporters of some of the Central American countries. That would make me bitter.

Posted by: daandre3 | February 3, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't be bitter.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 3, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Decent weather in April"

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good choice, but I seem to remember a devastating tornado in Nashville in April about ten years ago that hit the stadium and destroyed whole neighborhoods.

Confirmed:

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | February 3, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Innnnnteresting. I just might go to this. It's only a 3 hour drive from Birmingham and I know at least a few other grad students down here that would love to go.

And my buddy and I already have American flags handy after the US v. Australia WNT match we went to at Legion Field. Awesome.

Posted by: Colm1 | February 3, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if I agree with your prediction of 12,000. When I went to the friendly against Equador in Birmingham back in 2002, they had over 24,000 turn out. Not exactly a huge population of Equadorians running around. Don't perpetuate the "south doesn't support soccer" myth Goff. We have a hard enough time as it is.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

US Soccer's choices are bizarre, as always. Put your big matches in small stadiums and your smaller matches in big stadiums. I know there are reasons, but I think it's time to move forward.

They better market the hell out of that game. First, they need to announce that it's actually going to be staged in Nashville. Less than two months...

Posted by: Kev29 | February 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this is an early April Fool's Day prank on Goff and the match will really be played in Chicago.

Posted by: Modibo | February 3, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse