USA Roster!

The 20 players selected for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Mexico in Columbus are.....

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa).
Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Danny Califf (Midtjylland), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Marvell Wynne (Toronto).
Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Moenchengladbach), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Robbie Rogers (Columbus).
Forwards: Brian Ching (Houston), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles/Bayern Munich), Charlie Davies (Hammarby), Jozy Altidore (Villarreal/Xerez).

Twelve from abroad, seven from MLS, one currently on loan from MLS to a foreign club.

I missed one in last night's predictions: Rogers instead of Jay DeMerit.

On matchnight, 18 players will be in uniform, two will be scratched from the active roster.

For a full breakdown of the roster, click here.

Who would you like to see in the starting lineup?

Seems pretty straight forward to me: Howard; Hejduk, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Pearce; Dempsey, Bradley, Kljestan, Beasley; Donovan, Ching.

TV: ESPN2, Univision, 7 p.m. ET.
Kickoff time: 7:14 p.m.

Buckeye Barometer:
Wednesday's outlook.....
High of 61 degrees during the day
Low of 39 degrees late at night
Rain, thunder, wind throughout

By Steve Goff  |  February 8, 2009; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster on Sunday
Next: Roger, Over and Out

Comments

I know Bradley, being the creature of habit that he is, will pick DMB to start on the left, but I still say Torres is in better form at the moment and ought to start ahead of him.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 8, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Rogers and Wynne get scratched from the final 18. Surprised that Demerit not there.

Goal: Howard
Back: Hedjuck, Gouch, Boca, Pearce
Mid: Dempsey, Bradley, Sacha, Beas
Forward: Donovan, Ching

Posted by: Beckster1 | February 8, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Goff, but I would rather see Wynn over Hejduk. Hejduk is more experienced, but he is still a yellow card waiting to happen and Wynn has more upside.

Posted by: wmsiii | February 8, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The only change I can see from that lineup Goff is if Beasely is not 90 minute match fit, in which case Torres would start.

Posted by: strago | February 8, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I have a hunch Rogers and Bornsetin make the final cut. In camp they were paired constantly and developed good combinations and chemistry. Don't be suprised....

At the end probably Davies and one defender gets cut (Wynne?).

Posted by: TomR143 | February 8, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Low of 39 degrees late at night
Rain, thunder, wind throughout"

Voodoo dolls, warm weather Curandero's, but they'll still lose . . .

""Pobre Mexico, tan cerca a los Estados Unidos, tan lejos de dios. . ""

Someone please make a big effigy of Oswaldo Sanchez and keep kicking it in the gonads . . .

Posted by: delantero | February 8, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The warm weather is disappointing. I told you all: Anchorage, not Columbus!

Posted by: notafembot | February 8, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I am confused about the kick off time. I thought it was at 7:45 Eastern. What time is it?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Good roster. Goff's lineup looks about right. The point about maybe looking at Torres instead of Beasely due to his lack of playing time is a good one, though Beasely always shows up for these games. Rogers might also get some time on the left given that he seems to have had a good camp.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | February 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It would be unlike Bradley to not start an out of form but veteran Beasley; however, the choice of Torres would make alot of sense. He plays against these guys every week and should not be intimidated by the style of play or behavior of the El Tri players. To me, thats worth alot in this match. Even if Torres doesn't start, I would be surprised if he does not play.

Posted by: sbg1 | February 8, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This one is 7:14, the Nashville one against T&T is 7:45, that's what threw you off Dadryan. Or maybe it was all that partying with Phelps you did this week.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 8, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Torres is not at all the same kind of player as Beasley. Starting him as attacking left mid makes little sense.

Torres is on Univision right now (his team leads America 1-0 at halftime). Torres plays the Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber, Claudio Reyna role of deep-lying linking midfielder. He's got great presence on the ball and a great passer's vision but he will NOT be very effective motoring up and down the left flank like Beasley, Rogers, Convey, etc...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 8, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd take a risk on Torres at this point. Pachuca has a disciplined coach and they have played a ton of games this year. Yes they were just eliminated from Copa L, but torres has to be super match fit. I'm worried about beaselys lack of play, inconsistency, and somewhat whiney attitude.

Posted by: eugenio1 | February 8, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Interesting take on Torres.

Why not start him with Bradley or Clark (yeah, right, like coach's son isn't going to start)

with Rogers or Klessscccchhhstan out wide and Beasley coming on late?

Posted by: delantero | February 8, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

We need effigies! Lots an lots of effigies!

Start with Wayne Huizenga!

Torches!

Pitchforks!

Yeagh!

Posted by: bs2004 | February 8, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

As a DC-transplant-LA-just arrived in Columbus... it is cold as hell here. Snow on the ground, the cold feeling of rain/snow in the air. 39 and raining is not going to be pleasent for the Mexicans, at least our boys are playing all over northern Europe and used to it somewhat

Posted by: Shanoni | February 8, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Lot of good points... On one hand I can't really speak on Beasley's fitness...Just cuz he's benched doesn't mean he doesn't train, or doesn't have the desire or history to be an important component of the starting team...
I also think that Torres has got to be one of the most ready to rock dudes in the bunch, and probably very ready to prove to folks on both sides of the border that he made the right choice.

One thing is for certain. I can't wait for Wednesday evening:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2009 10:58 PM

I agree that DMB is still our best option, but despite training, it's worrying that he hasn't played a competitive match in quite some time. Last first team appearance for Rangers was in December. They haven't even had a reserve match since 12/9 as well. I think the only match he's taken part in in the last two months was the friendly v Milan last week. Thank God he got in to that!

Posted by: Kev29 | February 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Max Bretos actually made a good point on FSC yesterday; the US has so much going for it that we may be in for a fall. I sure hope the guys stay focused. But, I will admit that I had a dream last night that the US dominated and won 5-2. Weird....

Posted by: hacksaw | February 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know of a bar in either DC, Arlington or Alexandria that is guaranteed to have sizable group of pro-U.S. supporters on Wednesday? I want to watch the match someplace with a good pro-U.S. atmosphere.

Posted by: DCity | February 9, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What I think we will see:

--------------Howard---------------
-Hejduk--Bocanegra--Onyewu--Pearce-
Dempsey--Bradley--Kljestan--Beasley
-------Donovan---------------------
---------------Ching---------------

What I would like to see:

--------------Howard---------------
Hejduk--Bocanegra--Onyewu--Bornstein
Dempsey--Bradley--Kljestan--Rogers
-------Donovan---------------------
---------------Ching---------------

Posted by: GoUnited | February 9, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

No doubt Bradley will go with expereince to start but I would love to see Sacha gets some good minutes as well as Torres as well as Terp/Crew Robbie Rogers. If the kid is on it will look something like this:

Posted by: TomR143 | February 10, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse