USA Roster on Sunday

Foreign-based USA players are beginning to arrive for Wednesday's World Cup qualifying showdown against Mexico in Columbus. Bob Bradley will unveil his 20-man roster Sunday afternoon. The Insider has learned that Freddy Adu didn't make the cut and Dallas announced that Kenny Cooper has returned to the club.

How 'bout some predictions?

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan.
Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Heath Pearce, Danny Califf, Frankie Hejduk, Jay DeMerit, Marvell Wynne, Jonathan Bornstein.
Midfielders: Clint Dempsey, DaMarcus Beasley, Sacha Kljestan, Michael Bradley, Jose Francisco Torres, Ricardo Clark.
Forwards: Brian Ching, Landon Donovan, Charlie Davies, Jozy Altidore.

Whatcha think?

By Steve Goff  |  February 7, 2009; 9:34 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beckham Offer Rejected
Next: USA Roster!

Comments

Geoff, I think you're right on with that prediction.

Posted by: mcadaal | February 7, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Frankie! Wow.

Wasn't he in the background of that Michael Phelps photo?

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 7, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

You nailed it Goff.

Posted by: jezz | February 7, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Can confirm that Jozy is in Columbus.

I think spot on, only question is about DeMerit, but with 20 coming in, he makes sense.

Posted by: callmesanchezzz | February 7, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

That's about right. Cooper looked mediocre in his recent effort.

Ching and Landycakes up front with Landy withdrawn a bit.

3-0 USA.

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one who thinks that our midfield depth is highly suspect? it seems like the injuries and lack of playing time for guys like O'Brien, Feilhaber, Edu & Convey may be catching up to us. or am i overreacting?

i don't have any changes to Goff's 20, but here's what i think for the starting lineup:

Ching - Donovan
Beasley ----- Dempsey
Bradley - Kljestan
Bornstein - Bocanegra - Onyewu - Wynne
---Howard---

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 7, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Stupid not to call in Freddy. Who cares if Ricardo doesn't want to play him, he's by far our most dangerous attacking midfielder, and could be needed if we get behind in the second half.

Posted by: DMTerp02 | February 7, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Freddy isn't ready. It even rhymes.

Sadly, just checked out the Columbus dispatch.

Plenty of info on the OSU Women's volleyball.

Zero on the big match Weds.

And did everyone see the "VOODOO DOLLS" that are dressed as US soccer players with "Gringo" on the back of the jersey?

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I demand spector!

Posted by: empsg591 | February 7, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Freddy isn't ready. It even rhymes.

Sadly, just checked out the Columbus dispatch.

Plenty of info on the OSU Women's volleyball.

Zero on the big match Weds.

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2009 11:34 PM

Well, it's not as if I have given Blockbuster any business in the last 10 years, but never again, never, never, never will we do business again.

Posted by: bdwooton | February 7, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping Torres gets to play, I'm not saying start, but it would be nice for him to get on the field for this one.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I hope they have fun with the vodoo dolls, because that is going to be the only fun they are going to have1

Posted by: Barracudas | February 8, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Right on. Many of these selections have leaked so I really don't understand Bradley's cloak and dagger approach to the announcements. If England can announce their team, we certainly can. I like the Demerit possibility. Think he is stronger in his position than Pearce is in his. Option for Boca to go wide and Pearce in the middle.

Posted by: Beckster1 | February 8, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I mean Jay in the middle...too early.

Posted by: Beckster1 | February 8, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

dimesmakedollars:

I think you've got the lineup other than the fullbacks. I'm about as certain Bradley will play Hejduk as I am that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. Pearce is slightly less of a lock, but I don't think Bradley is sadistic enough to subject US soccer fans to 90 minutes of Hejduk and Bornstein both doing their best to give us all heart attacks.

Also, I beg of you...please don't mention John O'Brien. He hasn't been part of the US depth chart since 2007. It's best for all concerned that we bring him up only as a memory, and not as a present or future possibility.

***

The only person in SG's potential squad that I'd rather not see is Davies. If Cooper was lackluster against Sweden, Davies was outright bad. He made more than one embarrassing technical mistake (whiffing on slow rolling passes under no pressure, for example) and did nothing to make his speed a factor in the game. I'd rather see Rolfe or Adu in the squad instead. Davies just seems too much like a guy who plays just one good game out of every three or four. He can't be relied on.

All that said, as a prediction I think it's 100% accurate.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 8, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Seems to be too many defenders. Drop maybe Wynne or Bornstein and add Rogers and it looks about right.,

Posted by: TomR143 | February 8, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Typical Bradley roster, he leaves one position undermanned every time. Is he physically incapable of producing a balanced roster?

GK = 2.
D = 8.
M = 6.
F = 4.

That's right. No outside cover at midfield. At all.

No Adu. No Thorrington. No Rogers. No Rolfe. Weak.

I hope we don't need a goal late and some wide speed.

Posted by: TrueCrew | February 8, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

He's got four guys that can play on the outside (Torres, Dempsey, DMB, and Sacha). How many more do you want him to have? Don't whine just because he didn't pick your boy Rogers. I like him too, but he isn't ready for Mexico.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 8, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 8, 2009 10:18 AM

First off, I never thought Rogers would make the roster, so don't make guesses about what I'm thinking, OK?

Second, Torres is a CM, so is Sacha. The other two start.

Sure, both CAN play wide, but both are really CM's and too slow out wide to boot.

Posted by: TrueCrew | February 8, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Rogers seems a little slow in the head for a game like this.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, just checked out the Columbus dispatch.

Plenty of info on the OSU Women's volleyball.

Zero on the big match Weds.
----------------------------------------

I believe it was on the front page.

Posted by: stancollins | February 8, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the link stancollins

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies - Really?!?

Unfortunately a likely accurate prediction by Goff but I'm with Chest Rockwell re the merits such a pick by BB.

Posted by: Truck | February 8, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bdwooton | February 7, 2009 11:48 PM

I dropped Allstate as my insurance carrier once I saw commercials with El Tri. Even made it a point to stop by my agents office to do so.

Thx,