USA U-20 Roster Set

Thomas Rongen names his roster for CONCACAF U-20 World Cup qualifying, which begins March 6 in T&T:

GOALKEEPERS: Sean Johnson (Central Florida), Josh Lambo (FC Dallas), Brian Perk (UCLA).
DEFENDERS: Gale Agbossoumonde (unattached), Kyle Davies (Southampton), Jorge Flores (Chivas USA), Aaron Maund (Notre Dame), Amobi Okugo (San Juan Lightning), Anthony Wallace (FC Dallas), Sheanon Williams (unattached; formerly UNC).
MIDFIELDERS: Bryan Arguez (Hertha Berlin), Danny Cruz (Houston Dynamo), Dilly Duka (Rutgers), Jared Jeffrey (Club Brugge), Brian Ownby (Virginia), Brek Shea (FC Dallas).
FORWARDS: Sam Garza (U. of Denver), Peri Marosevic (FC Dallas), Billy Schuler (North Carolina), Tony Taylor (Jacksonville).

Of the four players dismissed from a recent U-20 camp for disciplinary reasons, only Arguez was invited to this event.

Of note.....

Maund will also be joining the team for training in Bradenton, but his addition to the final roster depends on whether he receives approval from FIFA to play for the United States after requesting for a change in national association. Maund, who has dual citizenship with the U.S. and Trinidad & Tobago, played in all three games for T&T in the 2007 Under-17 World Cup. Maund has submitted the necessary paperwork to change his national association to the United States and U.S. Soccer is awaiting FIFA's decision. The final roster is required to be submitted to CONCACAF 48 hours before the opening game against Jamaica. If a decision is not reached by FIFA before that time, Rongen will name a replacement to the 20-player roster.

By Steve Goff  |  February 23, 2009; 6:52 PM ET
Categories:  USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Serioux to Toronto
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

gotta say, as others have commented: FC Dallas is making some serious investments in the future. while we're busy getting 33 year olds, they're getting U-20s...

who wants to bet that 'disciplinary issue' involved alcohol and underage drinking? given the kids involved all being in Europe...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 23, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Ownby is lightning quick and showed well for Virginia last year- hopefully he gets some decent time because he can be a gamechanger.

Posted by: carmines757 | February 23, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if these games will be televised? I hear Lambo is our prodigy goalie and wouldn't mind seeing him play.

Posted by: bighungry | February 23, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Whats with flores being listed as a defender?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | February 23, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

While the flexibility and quickness of a gold medal gymnast are assets, I normally prefer a little more height from a goalkeeper.

Posted by: sitruc | February 23, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

What's with all these sissy names on our team? I mean, listen to these:
Gale, Sheanon,Dilly,Brek, and Peri... is that the best we can do?

Ok. So any one of these guys could beat me in a fight, and they can definitely play rings round me on the soccer field, and Sheanon is probably some tough-guy name in Ireland, but really... they've got sissy names.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 23, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I recently had the pleasure of training with Gale Agbossoumonde in Syracuse. I have just completed my senior yr up here at Le Moyne College (a D2 school in Syracuse, same conference as Franklin Pierce, and yes have played against Thorpe) and occasionally some of us older college guys in the area train on Wednesday nights (usually a couple guys from Syracuse U, Buffalo U and other local colleges.)

While I know that was not a grammatical sentence, what I was attempting to say is that Gale is a very top class player. (in my humble opinion) As a center back his technique is very high. He has great strength and reads the game well. Sure it was a random get together of aging players but I would say the competition level was rather high. I have played 3 yrs pdl, and was had the opportunity to lose to Casa Mia Bays (a good amount of player have or now play for the terps) while playing with the Baltimore Bays every year in MD state tournament. All I am saying is I am no expert, but I have played reasonably high level soccer here and seen some good players first had. I just want to say Gale is a good prospect. I believe he is the start of some technical backs we so badly need. And I hope it works out for him.

Also, he is a great person with a nice personality and a good head on his shoulders so I hope he stays away from Bryan Arguez :)

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 23, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

We draft U-20s...they just go to Europe instead.

Posted by: the_slammer | February 23, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

they've got sissy names.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 23, 2009 9:15 PM
===================

Agbossoumonde translates, roughly, to agricultural boss of the world (I said "roughly").

Aaron Maunde and Sheanon Williams:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Bloggers need more reflection. I sent off a letter to the editor ten days ago. After I wrote it, I regretted writing it, even though nothing I said was really wrong. Anyway, it was published on Sunday, and I have to take lumps for my stupidity and rashness in writing it.

There are 2 comments above that must have been written without even clicking on Goff's linked piece. Lambo was highly regarded when Dallas picked him, but Rongen's #1 keeper is Perk, not Lambo. Also, Flores is described as a "converted forward". I kinda doubt that Chivas sees "Sueño" in defense?....

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting that Dallas has so many highly regarded young Americans. Of course, having national team players is a blessing and a curse in MLS, especially if they develop enough to move abroad...

Speaking of young guys once picked by Dallas, I'm really surprised that Abdus Ibrahim didn't make the cut, though he's a bit young.

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

@joshuaostevens -- If you're impressed by Dallas' crop of young talent, you should check out the Canadian U-20 roster. They have a number of European-based players (including a few with top clubs in Germany), but it seems everybody else is from the Vancouver Whitecaps (5 players, plus 2 on loan in Germany).

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

We've had our fair share of US youth players who didn't turn out to be blue chip investments in the future. David Stokes and Quavas Kirk come to mind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The youth player stuff made me go look this up:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I would have liked to see Maryland's freshman forward Casey Townsend make the team. His performance in the ACC Final was one of the best I've seen recently.

Oh, well. I guess this means he might play against DC United this Sunday!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the scouting report, Grubbs.

But that Franklin Pierce dude was one of the few that wound up ranked lower than W.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 23, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Im willing to bet that that Scott Buete of the first team is the same guy that was Team MVP for the 2007 USL Finalist Atlanta Silverbacks.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 23, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

bighungry, don't know where you heard that, but Lambo is our #2 goalkeeper in this group. Perk is our #1.

Posted by: Eugene7 | February 23, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

fischy, are you Colin Helmer? I'm confused, as usual...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 23, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- nope. Not that letter. I did leave a reply online to that PG Park letter -- the first one, actually. No, I wrote some stupid thing nitpicking about an attack against Hugo Chavez...

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I sent in a "retraction". I kinda hope they run that one, too. To clear my "rep"....

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"I don't recognize any names on the All-Met first team, but the second team includes a kid named Beckerman and another kid named Onyewu. "

From a quick glance I remember Nino and Buete from Maryland.

Posted by: Colm1 | February 23, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't saying that Lambo is going to start. I had heard from an undistinguished source that he looks to be our best prospect. Whether that is actually the case or not I don't know haven't seen him play.

About his height, I believe he is 6' that is big enough to be a keeper as long as you can jump anyway. I'd rather have a keeper his height that can move than one 6'4" that watches the ball go by him. There aren't too many that are both tall and agile.

Posted by: bighungry | February 24, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Jacob that is the same Buete. The second team also has Micah Cooks who played for United briefly.

Posted by: mfrahm | February 24, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

copy that fischy. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash anyway...
Again, I don't often think about the collective IQ of the Insiders but in this case I sure do hope some of the best and brightest get them fingers walking and talking to counter any smear campaign by the media.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

fischy: Stick to writing your comments here, we know where you're coming from.

I think Chavez drives a Passat :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Touché!

Posted by: fischy | February 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 23, 2009 9:29 PM
_____________________________
Given that this kid is "unattached" and that DC United need central defenders, might this be an opportunity knocking?

Posted by: schmuckatelli | February 24, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse