Video: Copa Libertadores

San Lorenzo 4, San Luis 1:

What's more appalling -- San Luis's goalkeeping and defending or San Lorenzo's jersey sponsor? (USA defender Michael Orozco was not in the 18 for San Luis because of injury.)

By Steve Goff  |  February 13, 2009; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  Libertadores
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Friday Kickaround
Next: DCU Stadium Chat, Poll

Comments

What's appalling is Galaxy's, RSL's and San Jose's jersey sponsor...

Wal-Mart is at least a reputable business...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 13, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Wal-Mart isn't a perfect company but I don't see how it has any relevance to socecr. Keep your politics to yourself and stick to soccer please. If i wanted to read about "evil corporations" man I would go to daily kos.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

though I don't agree with how appalling it is..

i do need to remind mattgs84 that this is a blog... and goff's opinion (though RARELY supplied) is allowed...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 13, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I offered my opinion on his opinion in a polite manner.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

From my trips, I have the impression that Wal-Mart is viewed far less negatively there. The name is respected for quality merchandise at reasonable prices, and working there is typically a big step-up...in contrast to the situation here. Where Wal-Mart is shunted to suburban strip malls north of the border, you can find it in the poshest shopping district in Mexico City.

Posted by: fischy | February 13, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiverOtis | February 13, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

something very fishy about that goalkeeping, especially on the first goal. I think that was the most appalling part.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 13, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

A nice "WalMart" looks better than a faint outline of where the letters "AIG" used to be.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 13, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

And we complained about Zach Wells...

Posted by: therealfootball | February 13, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Lighten up

It was a snarky remark about a big box store

I would've done the same with Target or Toys R Us

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 13, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Agree with posters 1 and 2-I come here for a refuge from the claptrap we see in the media every day-let's keep commentary like this out of here!

Posted by: targetmedia | February 13, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

yes, it's appalling. but not because it's a big box store (best buy, anyone?) but because here you have the world's second most profitable corporation, based in the United States, who hasn't signed onto MLS yet. a lot of the MLS demographic is, quite frankly, the Wal*Mart demographic. you have a lot of families, a lot of immigrant, working class people. yes, it might not go over well at RFK or Qwest, but at Pizza Hut? Rio Tinto? whereever the Wizards are playing this week? that's right in Wal*Mart's wheelhouse. what's 3-4 million a year to Wal*Mart?

and for those who don't like the Wal*Mart associations, the more urban populations, the Target logo would look very nice.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | February 13, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

After glazing at the article linked above, it turns out that Wal*Mart is apparently spending its money domestically on health care. Who cares what they're doing Internationally.

Posted by: TCompton | February 13, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Try to spend your money at stores where the money will stay in the community, or at least the region.

In a roundabout way, it's kinda like buying tickets to games at a stadium where the money can stay with the team, instead of going to the city government that seems to have no interest in supporting the team.

Posted by: davemcl | February 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

MLS would be absolutely blessed to have Wal-Mart as a sponsor, not just on a jersey but also as a league sponsor that agrees to carry and promote MLS teams and products at their amazingly large number of stores.

Apparently WaPo pays its reporters plenty and they don't have to shop at discount retailers like Wal-Mart and Target -- but many, many, many Americans aren't so lucky.

Posted by: scott47a | February 13, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I would have responded the same way if you had targeted a different "big box" store for derision. There is nothing wrong with them.

Also as far as I remember you never said anything negative about Best Buy sponsering Chicago nor the Home Depot center.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather wear a jersey with Wal-Mart than one with "Bimbo."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 13, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

WalMart is definitely not a "glam" sponsor-- I certainly would not want to be labeled "WalMart".
The visceral reaction some of you had to Goff's off-hand comment says a lot about the current political environment; everybody's a bit over-sensitive, IMHO.

Posted by: glfrazier | February 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jeebus, people, let the man alone. Walmart is clearly a tacky and irrelevant sponsor. Not unlike many others (Herbalife at least could be construed to have something to do with physical exertion), to be frank, but WalMart baldly symbolizes cookie-cutter, mass-produced products made in sweatshops in LDCs, without regard for any sense of economic fair play. They skirt the edge of morality in a business milieu not known for its commitment to charity.

Exactly what part of that ought to be cheered as part of an athletic competition? Sure, it's appalling. What's more appalling is that professional sports teams wear names that are not their own or their players.

Posted by: vivzig | February 13, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Walmart have a huge international presence now. Don't be surprised if you see advertising on the jerseys of players in other countries as well. Walmart is a lot bigger company than even most Americans realize and it is growing all of the time.

This is a company that knows both how to grow and to sustain growth. We will all be better off if we get used to seeing their presence in corners of the world we would never expect. Those are the retail vacuums that Walmart figure out how to supply before other companies realize that there is even a market.

On a soccer note - the goalkeeping is the worst part of that video.

Posted by: mddeblois | February 13, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

First of all most sponsorships have little to do with what they are sponsering.

I won't leave the man alone precisely because i'm tired of your view of walmart which many people disagree with.

I agree all the corporate name stuff is annoying but the teams need to make money and that is one way to do it without charging the fans more.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I won't leave the man alone precisely because I'm tired of your view of Walmart which many people disagree with.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 2:37 PM

Well, many people are tired of your corporate apologist view of the world also. It's what led us into this current mess and it'll be people with a more realistic view of corporate power and responsibility that bring us out of it. Welcome to your status as a dinosaur.

At the risk of speaking for Goff, it's his blog and he can do what he likes. It's also your prerogative to whine about it and it's mine to rolls my eyes at your whining.

What we don't have the prerogative to do is clutter up this soccer board with excessive non-soccer related posts. So, with that, I'm done.

Abysmal goaltending. I hope he's on the other team's payroll with a performance like that.

Posted by: vivzig | February 13, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Feel free to move to Cuba or Venezuela Comrade and I agree we shouldn't be talking politics on a soccer board which was my main point.

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

l-i-g-h-t-e-n

u-p

i repeat: it was a snarky comment about a big box store

i know this is washington, but you don't need to read politics into EVERYTHING

(sigh)

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 13, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I read it as a pretty overt political statement as many people who make comments of that nature hold viewpoints similar to those of vivzig. I'd love to hear your non-political interpretation of your comment.

Yes it was kind of a throw away line but it happened to hit a nerve. . .

Posted by: mattgs84 | February 13, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Enough!

I enjoy making snarky remarks about people, places and things.

No agenda, no conspiracy.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 13, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse