Video: Copa Libertadores

Liga de Quito 3, Palmeiras 2. (Caution: poor audio.) Try to figure out what is happening after the final whistle:

By Steve Goff  |  February 18, 2009; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Libertadores
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Chatting With Payne

Comments

Looks like hes as confused as I was as to what was happening

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 18, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

He's pissed at the lack of action by the match officials against Liga & their fans for the projectiles being thrown, one of which looks like a big liquor bottle. Nasty like Manso's free kick, I want him on Metro. Thanks for the Libertadores coverage.

Posted by: VivaMetro | February 18, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Palmeiras coach is upset at the lack of action by match officials against Liga for the projectiles being thrown onto the field by the crowd, one of which looks like a huge liquor bottle. Nasty. Like Manso's free kick. Want him on Metro. Thanks for the Libertadores coverage.

Posted by: VivaMetro | February 18, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

It looks to me that some fan threw a bottle of wine at the visiting team. It also looks like the coach that was arguing with everyone at the end was trying to make such a big deal out of it as to leave the stadium under such controversy as to take the win away from the home team because of the wine bottle. That is all I can gather from it, at least that is what it looks like. I am not sure though...

Posted by: elfelixg | February 18, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Someone stole the bottle of wine he was chilling, er, um, on the sideline of a Copa Libertadores match.

Final answer...

Posted by: JkR- | February 18, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Something about glass bottles being thrown onto the pitch, then there's an argument between the head coaches as they shake hands, then the white-haired coach starts calling somebody (presumably the opposing coach) a sonuva-youknowwhat. Then he starts talking to the referee, but couldn't make out what they were saying.

And yes, it's a slow morning at work. :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

would probably help if I spoke the language. But who knows?

Posted by: BarraLoco | February 18, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Very entertaining match. I watched it last night and was surprised Palmeiras did not tie it. I can't watch the video at work and missed the post game action to help with the kids. I thought the comentator had said the Palmeiras manager was upset at something and there was a scuffle as I ran upstairs. Sorry I can't be much help.

Posted by: ratco | February 18, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I can't watch the video here at work, but I watched the game last night. I had to run upstairs at the final whistle for the kids and missed any post game action, but I remember the commentator saying something about the Palmeiras' manager being upset. I thought it was a very entertaining match and was surprised Palmeiras did not tie it. Much better than the Boca Juniors match succeeding it.

Posted by: ratco | February 18, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It's not the Palmeiras coach though - he's jacket has the Liga U on it, plus he has an Argentine accent (unlikely that an Argentine would coach in Brasil;) It's Jorge Fossati, from Uruguay.

Posted by: marcool | February 18, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The guy who is upset is the Liga coach, not the Palmeiras coach. It is unclear from the video what he is upset about, but he was hurling a series of insults towards the Palmeiras staff. This story (http://www.soitu.es/soitu/2009/02/18/info/1234921409_859849.html) seems to suggest he was upset at the Palmeiras team for some hard fouls on Liga players that did not generate yellow or red cards from the referee (that's why he's complaining to the refs at the end of the video).

Posted by: JPHT | February 18, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I took french in high school, so I will roughly translate:

The coach was thanking the goalkeeper for a fantastic effort on that second goal. Despite receiving such praise, the goalkeeper decided he didn't feel like getting hit with a wine botle, if you can call Arbor Mist wine, and tried to leave. This did not make the coach happy and he said "No, stay out here and make a nice, stationary target for the fans to throw wine that does not have a cork." When the goalkeeper refused to do so, the coach decided he would talk to the referees and make them all a nice, stationary target for all sorts of stuff. Such actions would not happpen at RFK, as there are too few food stands with which to purchases things to throw.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | February 18, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Man, I just wish we had some of those police with the riot shields to cover refs after a match; I can think of some instances where I would have liked that...

Posted by: janspoor | February 19, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse