Wednesday Kickaround

*Americans abroad: GK Troy Perkins and Valerenga allow three goals in the second half of a 3-1 friendly loss to Russian champion Rubin Kazan. Click here for match highlights.

*This story says D.C. United is interested in El Salvador national team left winger Cristian Castillo. United GM Dave Kasper says it is not true.

*Wondering how to pronounce the name of United signee Mawate Ange N'Silu? MA-wa-tay onj EN-see-loo. Now you know.

*Tickets are available for United's seventh annual kickoff luncheon, March 24 at National Harbor in Prince George's County. (Yes, the club is steering all of its business to Maryland.)

*The dates and matchups are set for the Canadian Championship, which will send a team to the 2009-10 CONCACAF Champions League.

*Catch me talkin' futbol on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" tonight at 5 p.m., which is available live through washingtonpost.com's sports front and replays on CSN at 11:30.

*Lots of matches on TV today. Jump to the continuation of this thread for the listings.

*Houston settles for a 1-1 tie with Atlante in the first leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal:

TV LISTINGS
Euro Champions League, Chelsea-Juventus 2:30 p.m. ESPN2
Euro Champions League, Real Madrid-Liverpool 2:40 p.m. Setanta, ESPN Deportes
England FA Cup, Middlesbrough-West Ham 3 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Euro Champions League, Villarreal-Panathinaikos 4:45 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Euro Champions League, Real Madrid-Liverpool 5 p.m. (taped) ESPN Classic
Copa Libertadores, Caracas-Lanus 5 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Gremio-Universidad de Chile 7:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
CONCACAF Champions League, Montreal-Santos 8 p.m. FSC, Telefutura
Euro Champions League, Sporting Lisbon-Bayern Munich 9 p.m. (taped) ESPN Deportes
CONCACAF Champions League, Cruz Azul-Pumas 10 p.m. FSC, Telefutura
Copa Libertadores, Chivas-Everton 10 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Euro Champions League, Sporting Lisbon-Bayern Munich 11 p.m. (taped) Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2009; 9:14 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Unveils Uniforms
Next: United Notes

Comments

-----------------
I knew it!

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 25, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Had a great time at the lunch last year - unfortunately, when it's not across the street from my office - I can't make it.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 25, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Houston did not start Eddie Robinson and he was not on the 18 for the match against Atlante. I am curious as to why DCU would not trade with Houston for him. He is experienced and is solid. It seems odd that they would be interested in a LW from El Salvador before solidifying there back line. I guess a Salvadorian on the roster would sell tickets, but do we need another Quintanilla or defender?

Posted by: no_recess | February 25, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Robinson out with red card. Otherwise, he starts for Houston.

DCU is not interested in the Salvadoran, Kasper confirmed.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 25, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

If one really wants to watch Villareal-Panathinaikos live - they can do so at Summers or via Setanta Broadband for $10.

ESPN2's Chelsea-Juventus choice is kind of a head scratcher.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

From MLSNet/DC Page on our defense. Glad the players echo my earlier post on the subject. Now, make it so.>>>>>

"Last year our organization, defensively, was a disaster. No one ever really seemed to be on the same page and I think from day one this year we need to start working on that, because obviously if you let in goals it's tough to win games," said McTavish, a utility player who spent most of his time at center back down the stretch last season.

"We have good one-on-one defenders, we have good people who read the game well -- as long as we can get everyone on the same page and defending as a unit."

McTavish, Janicki and Burch were just three of more than a half-dozen players to see time at center back in the course of the marathon '08 campaign as injuries, suspensions, fatigue and ineffectiveness forced Soehn to constantly rejigger his back line down the stretch. But the Black-and-Red hope that experimentation can pay off in the form of a clearer focus and stronger start this time around.

"Get a group of guys and let us play together every day," said Janicki. "I know it was an injury here, an injury there -- they were kind piecing things together back there for a while for most of [last] season. I think once you just get used to playing with the same guys in the back, communication gets better and you play better as a group. So I think just finding those core guys and sticking with it for a while is more the biggest thing."

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

ESPN2's Chelsea-Juventus choice is kind of a head scratcher.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 9:49 AM
=================

C'mon Kev29. People recognize those teams and buy their stuff. Who has a Panathinaikos replica?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I hope the luncheon is not the meet and greet like we usually have. Hate to think they are going to charge us for that one.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 25, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Would prefer to spend my $150 on a purty new shovel to use at the stadium groundbreaking....and use the leftover cash to spend on game day tix.

Posted by: 22206no1 | February 25, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry 270 - I was not clear in my separation of thoughts. I'm surprised ESPN2 did not pick Madrid-Liverpool for this afternoon :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Thank Mr. Goff.

Posted by: no_recess | February 25, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Steve, do you know whether DC United or MacFarlane Partners will purchase and own the land upon which the stadium will be built, or whether that land purchase is part of the $198M and will be owned by Maryland?

If United is the owner of the land it will be interesting to see if MacFarlane is the owner and whether more than just fits the stadium footprint is purchased. If MacFarlane and if more, that points to the intent to develop the surrounding area.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I know that we might not need Castillo but Pacheco would be a great fit at left back. This guy gives 110% and will work up and down the field. Its gonna hurt to see him in a Red Bulls jersey and have half or RFK rooting for the Red Bulls. It is what it is...the Salvadorian community has for the most part held a grudge against DC United since Kevin Payne said what he said for the Arce trade and a real star player from the national team would boost attendence. DC United has gained popularity with americans but you could be having 20,000 plus constantly if you had the full salvadorian community's support. I am from El Salvador and like I said it is what it is, do I like it no. I fully support DC United but its sad to come to a game where DC is at home but half the crowd is against them like the games in CONCACAF Championship.

Posted by: jcromero01 | February 25, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice they have pre-sold FIFTY THOUSAND tix in Montreal for the Santos-Impact game tonight?

Let me re-type that: FIFTY THOUSAND TICKETS (cinquante mille billets)

C'est incroyable.

Posted by: IamAM | February 25, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, there is still no way in hell that you'll ever have over half of RFK rooting for the stinking Pink Cows...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

ESPN2's Chelsea-Juventus choice is kind of a head scratcher

*****************************************

ESPN2 always chooses games featuring an English team if available...unfortunately

Posted by: teo_68 | February 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Does ESPN get first choice over Setanta? Or is there a blindfolded UEFA executive throwing at a spinning dartboard? I've never figured out the mystery of who shows what when.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if those tickets are $1 again.

Posted by: Reignking | February 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Does ESPN get first choice over Setanta?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 25, 2009 11:03 AM

Posted by: teo_68 | February 25, 2009 10:58 AM

English clubs also draw the most viewers. They are in the business of attracting audiences, not being fair.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

50,000 tickets? That many Mexican nationals in Montreal?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 25, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Off topic: Just saw Julie Foudy leading a First Take segment on ESPN2. Talking college hoops. Has she been a host outside of soccer coverage before?

Oh, almost forgot... Hail Caesar!

Posted by: joedoc1 | February 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"If one really wants to watch Villareal-Panathinaikos live - they can do so at Summers or via Setanta Broadband for $10"

Does that go for Madrid-Liverpool too? My grandparents changed up their cable package to drop classic, and now I'm left with no other options but restraunts, and I'd rather not do it that way.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the TV listings, Goff. But late night viewers will also want to know that TCM is showing "My Left Foot" at 1215 am overnight. That's the Marco Etcheverry movie, isn't it?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Let's not forget that it is the return of Ranieri to Stamford Bridge since his dismissal in 2004 when Abramovich was obviously courting Mourinho for the job.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Madrid-Liverpool is live on ESPN Deportes and Setanta. All good soccer bars should have that on.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

50,000 tickets? That many Mexican nationals in Montreal?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 25, 2009 11:19 AM
------------------------------------------

you'd be surprised..
Milano, Italy

30K Salvadoreans call home!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: teo_68 | February 25, 2009 10:58 AM
-------------------------------------------

The question was why ESPN chose to air the Chelsea-Juventus games live and put Real Madrid-Liverpool on Deportes, with a tape delay on Classic. Last time I looked, Liverpool is still an English team.

I think the answer is that ESPN features Man Utd and Chelsea every time. Plus, they might think the Madrid side might have more draw for a Spanish-speaking audience than Chelsea-Juventus.

Now, I'm pretty sure that Liverpool is still an English team, but what's Everton doing in Copa Libertadores?

And, yes, I was kidding about the 3rd Freedom jersey. It was my best line in weeks, even if I do say so myself...

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Never mind, yes it does

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 25, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The spanish speaking side don't like english commentators, and chances are they have ESPN Deportes. Also, when was the last time Juventus featured in an ESPN2 game; they also have a huge following here and I'm sure they are glad to see them in CL action.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Jacob: FYI Fado will have the real games on (doesn't state a cover; I just checked their web site)

Posted by: Reignking | February 25, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

There was -one- time last year that a Barca match was featured, but that was the only time in years that I can remember that.

You would think that they would want to feature the only American playing ;)

Posted by: Reignking | February 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Actually RK, you aren't too far off. Many of the 50,000 were discounted.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | February 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it, but with the errands I have to run today, setanta broadband works best for me. Enjoy your days!

Hala Madrid!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 25, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Discounted... shmishcounted... there are 50k Quebecois with so little to do tonight they would rather sit in 20 degree weather (-3 celsius) in February, outdoors and watch soccer. The concessions will probably move plenty of poutines tonight.

Allez L'Impact.

Posted by: IamAM | February 25, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Indoor.

Posted by: Reignking | February 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Allez L'Impact.

Posted by: IamAM | February 25, 2009 12:17 PM
--------------------------------------------

The game is indoors. Olympic Stadium. Roof. See previous threads.

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Wait - Stade Olympique has a roof?

Kidding, kidding!

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Touche - still the weather calls for 70 degrees indoors with a 20% chance of the roof falling in. I'd rather be cold than get the Chicken Little treatment.

"The match was only allowed to go ahead by provincial and municipal officials if there was no accumulation of snow or ice on the stadium's unstable (but heated) roof or the cables attaching it to the stadium tower. Otherwise, the game would have been postponed until tomorrow."

Posted by: IamAM | February 25, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is still coming out too far, too soon, huh? That habit he developed in his last year at DC -- challenging players outside the box? Very rarely a good move. There was a remarkable save in the Atletico game yesterday by a keeper who was fortunate to get his foot on it, when he couldn't use his hands -- but, Troy has to be more circumspect. Great camera work there, for this friendly. There must have been as many cameramen as fans -- at least 3.

Posted by: fischy | February 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

according to the article I just read in the Canadian press the tickets for the match in Montreal were mostly C$10 but some were $25 or 35 and I think there were a couple of hundred "VIP" type tickets for $50. So, they were reasonably priced for sure. They say Montreal is a big event town so the turned it into a big event with the novelty of football in winter being a draw.

I'm guessing it will be fairly unwatchable on that hard astroturf surface.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 25, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

$10? I'm not going to scoff at Montreal for that excellent price! Every professional team in this area should learn from that example.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

No one wants to talk about the only MLS team left? Bizarre.

It's a real shame Houston didn't do more in this match, because Atlante was really awful. Their defending was merely adequate, but going forward they offered nothing. I also feel their keeper, who looked like a reject from the old "How Much Ya Bench?" SNL skit, was sub-par. Unfortunately, Houston being in preseason showed in their passing, finishing, and marking on the goal allowed (which came during one of Atlante's two dangerous moments for the entire game). This was a superb opportunity for the Dynamo to put one over a Mexican team, and they wasted it. I can only hope Atlante plays just as poorly at Cancun.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 25, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 25, 2009 11:26 AM
-------------------

That's a lot of research for a whimsical Soccer Insider post, but I applaud!

Is the sequel on afterwards? My Left Foot 2: the Rise and Fall of Alecko Eskandarian

Posted by: churtmah | February 25, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

40+ comments and no one wants to mention that Boswell scored both goals. Really?

Posted by: ncguy | February 25, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Allez L'Impact.

Posted by: IamAM | February 25, 2009 12:17 PM

Seulement parce que les Habitants ne jouent pas cette nuit. (Only because the Canadiens aren't playing tonight.)

And I missed the Dynamo (on Galavision, no less!) because of the Obama speech and the "Leverage" season finale.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 25, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 1:01 PM
================

Maybe it's a raised middle finger at MLS to say "See how many soccer fans we have?"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 25, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Looks like another German adventure is over for Landon Donovan...didn't even make it on to the roster for the Champions League match today. Ouch.

Posted by: icehippo | February 25, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehippo | February 25, 2009 2:30 PM

I'm not sure, but I don't believe he is part of the 22-man squad that makes up Bayern Munich in the CL.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Just found yesterday's Tank McNamara cartoon strip:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 25, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehippo | February 25, 2009 2:30 PM

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 2:35 PM

It was announced some time ago that he was on that squad.

Posted by: mason08 | February 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Bayern brought Donovan over with any expectation that he would play in their Champions League matches. He got some good training/experience in the Bundesliga/Cup/friendlies and he'll be back with LA in a couple weeks.

To paraphrase Denis Green... it was what we though it would be.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Kev29. He was put on the CL roster so that he could play if he had to do so due to injuries to others. I presume that LD be replaced on the roster by some other "scrub" once he goes back to LA. That said, it's not like Podolski has been much better. The BM attack has looked pretty bad since the break no matter who was in. The end of the Cologne match was particualry hard to watch as it consisted of forty-yard balls lumped into the top of the penalty area.

No... If Donovan goes anywhere on a permanant basis, it will be on a free transfer after his MLS contract expires. As the "best American Player (non-GK division)" his fee would be to high for anything else. When is his contract up?

Posted by: mason08 | February 25, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

You're right, my bad, I thought he was not in the Cl squad. I guess that means he may play this weekend; I'm being very optimistic now.

Ribery scores a vital away goal for Munich.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Ribery scores a vital away goal for Munich.

===

Most of BM's threatening play of late has been his doing. From the description, this goal seems to have come from a loose pass in the Sporting back line.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, I guess.

Posted by: mason08 | February 25, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Klose adds one. Bayern with two crucial away goals.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

And a penalty converted by Ribery, that's one team we know is going through to the next round.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, just maybe we may see Donovan in the 2nd leg now.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If this result stands for SCP-BAY, SCP would have to score at least four goals and be ahead by three to avoid extra time. A 0-3 result would get them bonus soccer, but I'd say the return leg will be pretty much meaningless.

Send in the American!

Posted by: mason08 | February 25, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Toni for 4, wow. Donovan better be in the team in the next leg.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Toni adds one more.

Can we call the SCP-BAY match a "beat-down" yet?

Posted by: mason08 | February 25, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Toni says, "One for the thumb."

Posted by: mason08 | February 25, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse