Youri, Not Yanni

Clearly inspired by his two years in MLS, Frenchman Youri Djorkaeff is expressing his joy for life through a Euro-techno-rap music video (Thanks to Insider loyalist Simon for the priceless link.)

By Steve Goff  |  February 26, 2009; 11:38 AM ET
Categories:  France , MLS , Soccer and music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Guzan, Villa Ousted

Comments

Goff what is going on? Two weeks in a row we get French CRAP music! Maybe Dos-es-Cero can counter with something less revolting?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Lyric translation:

"I played in a World Cup/I went to Red Bulls/Then I...JIZZED...IN...MY PANTS"

Posted by: gocaps2 | February 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I think Motown just found their DP.

Posted by: Hoost | February 26, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Where's that link to report offensive posts?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

270 - I'm going to make the argument that if a phrase can make it onto network television (and be repeated in the video I referenced about 8 billion times) that it meets the lowbrow standards of internet commentary.

Posted by: gocaps2 | February 26, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think I would have preferred Yanni.

Posted by: TwinCity | February 26, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

im doing the running man as I type this...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 26, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Yikes TwinCity!
As they warn on this link, it is still for mature viewers....

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like it should have come out in 1993. The video also looks like video makers from 1993 were given future technology, but not future ideas.

Also, Djorkaeff's vest reminds me of McLovin. "You look like Aladdin."

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Since this song sounds like it could have been on a French version of the Ghostbusters soundtrack (1980's style), I figured I'd post a link to some French rap that doesn't suck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7U14CbQDsU

Posted by: dosacero | February 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I was half expecting Tony Parker, dosacero.

Posted by: sitruc | February 26, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I prefer this one, personally...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 26, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps2: I wasn't referring to the lyrics (I didn't view that much of it), I meant the whole concept.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

This has always been my favorite french hip hop song:

(Skip to about 35 seconds to get to the song)

Posted by: KeeperPat | February 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Please. We need a new thraed so that whenever I visit Soccer Insider, I don't have Grandmaster Y (Youri Your?) looking at me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This video was posted a looooong time ago on SF's blog (the offside rules). Next...

Posted by: onsighter | February 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan,not that I have any Yanni albums, but I was in Paris last summer and heard better freestyle rap in the Luxembourg Gardens that I heard in that video.

That said, bravo to gocaps2. Very astute.

Posted by: TwinCity | February 26, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This was absolutely on The Offsides Rules a few weeks ago.

Posted by: BrownShirtGeorge | February 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't doubt it TwinCity. Just pokin' a little fun myself.

dosacero: excuse me mucking up your handle, hadn't seen it hear in a minute, but as I suspected you'd have something for us.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 26, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The Senate just rejected an amendment that would have effectively turned DC United into Maryland United, no matter where their stadium. It would also have forced the Maryland-hating Virginians, who currently work in DC, to commute to Maryland.

Citing the environmental consequences of the amendment, Benjamin Cardin (D-MD) stated that that the smoke from [commuting Virginians] seething anger would increase greenhouse gases by 50% and put the United States in a difficult position at the upcoming Copenhagen conference.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

ah, i see, so this video appeared on some of the 3 million other soccer sites on the internet machine, so i shouldn't use it at all. gotcha.

Posted by: Steve Goff | February 26, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

2 blogs mention the same thing? Never!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 26, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Nobody said that Goff, but way to project on us. I just wouldn't call it a "priceless" link if it has been floating around for a while and been on other sites, that is all.

Posted by: BrownShirtGeorge | February 26, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, KeeperPat. As a fan of french hip-hop, I appreciate the flashback

Posted by: ZidVicious | February 26, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

i hadn't seen that!

for french hip-hop, hard to beat mc solaar... few things are smoother.

(an old but good one-- skip to 29sec and there's a soccer reference "as in soccer the stopper wants to shoot the ball")

(no footie reference here, but it's still a great tune)

Posted by: hogmesh | February 26, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrownShirtGeorge | February 26, 2009 3:11 PM

=========================================

Uh, Goff has a point. You, on the other hand, do not.

What does calling it priceless have anything to do with how many sites have the link?

Tsk tsk. Grab a dictionary and get back to us.

Posted by: Figgy | February 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That was one of the strangest things that I have seen in a while. With that said...what's the over/under on the Galaxy signing him, as he strives (pretends) to come back to MLS (the US) to play (get some studio time with Snoop Dog)?

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 26, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

hogmesh,

mc solaar had some very smooth stuff.
the songs you linked to are some of the cheesiest stuff he ever wrote.

these are the ones that made him famous:

Posted by: Figgy | February 26, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Eh, hard to judge the audience-- I was going for some of his catchier ones (plus I can't find my favorites tracks on youtube). I like the ones you posted as well.

Another classic: