A Few Minutes With Jeremy Hall

Jeremy Hall was Maryland's leading scorer last fall and helped the Terps win their second NCAA championship in four years. He then decided to leave school a year early to sign with MLS and was selected with the 11th overall draft pick by the Red Bulls, who are converting him from a left-side midfielder into an outside back.

Have you played in the back before?

"When I was with the under-17 national team, I went to Bradenton as a forward but John Ellinger tried me at right back a little bit. I played there for a few months and got comfortable with it. At Maryland, I played left and right midfield and up top occasionally, and there were a few times where I stepped into the back, but never played there regularly."

When did you find out that the Red Bulls want to make you a right back?

"I went into the draft as a left mid. We went into preseason camp and the coaches tried me at center mid, and I hadn't played there before. We went down to Florida and they played me at right back, and I guess they liked what I did so I have been there ever since."

What is the adjustment like?

"You have to defend first, but I can still get into the attack when the ball comes over there. When you have the ball, you have to choose the moments when to attack."

keep reading.....

Do you like playing back there?

"It's not bad. I am comfortable with it and getting used to it. The older guys are helping me a lot, so I am starting to gain more confidence each and every day."

What has been the biggest adjustment from college to pros?

"The speed of play is a big one. When we first started, trying to take that second and third touch when you should be taking one or maybe two touches, that really got me and I got tackled a few times. I have adjusted to it. It's definitely a lot faster than college. Guys are a lot stronger and faster."

Have you been able to communicate with your former Maryland teammates now in MLS?

"I talk to them occasionally. They say they are doing well. We all agree that speed of play is the biggest adjustment in MLS, but now that we are getting used to it, you just want to get out there and try to earn some playing time."

What was the highlight of the Red Bulls' recent Argentina trip?

"We got some good games. Playing against River Plate, Marcelo Gallardo was out there and a lot of first-team guys. We played Boca in their main stadium. And the food was great!"

Did you ever go to RFK to watch Gallardo last year?

"I did once."

What was it like being on the field with him this preseason?

"It was awesome. He is just so good technically on the ball. Being back in Argentina, I think that fits his style more than MLS. They don't press as much as they do here in MLS. His passes are on point, the way he uses his body, it was just a great experience."

By Steve Goff  |  March 13, 2009; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Gallardo must have been saving himself for when he went back to Argentina.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 13, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

ohhh, makes want to go to an asado!

Posted by: targetmedia | March 13, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Wish DC would have been able to snag Hall. I think he would have been a great addition. *sigh*

Posted by: forpat | March 13, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo must have been saving himself for when he went back to Argentina.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 13, 2009 11:47 AM

Or, it's an example of what I now call JkR-'s axiom:

"The further towards the northern climes you go, the less time you have on the ball (as a league)"

Try taking an extra touch in Scotland. Then go try and find your ankle bones...

Posted by: JkR- | March 13, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone,

See below from United:

"Dear United supporters,

Earlier this week, Kevin Payne asked for your support in e-mailing and calling state and county lawmakers with messages of support for our stadium proposal in Prince George's County. You responded with a deluge of e-mails that has dwarfed anything Annapolis has ever witnessed. It is truly moving the needle for us and we'll forever appreciate the passion, the creativity and the effort you all continue to display in support of our organization on the field and off.

We're again asking for your support next Tuesday in Annapolis. While we know that many of you have work obligations, we're asking our supporters, that are able, to join us at hearings before the House Appropriations Committee and Senate Budget and Taxation Committee. Our fans will gather at 12 noon at Annapolis City Dock, which is the harbor front park at the end of the boardwalk in downtown Annapolis. People should park at meters or the city garage on Duke of Gloucester Street. Typing Susan Campbell Park, Annapolis, MD into google maps will give you the exact location.

The hearing mentioned is the first and, perhaps, most important step as the state legislature considers the bills that will enable D.C. United to contract with the Maryland Stadium Authority to build a new stadium in Prince George's County. The hearings begin at 1:00 p.m. Our collective presence is hugely important.

Those wishing to travel en masse to Annapolis may gather at RFK Stadium. A caravan will leave Lot 5 at 11:00 a.m.
In the meantime, please continue to send e-mails via this link. They do make a difference. We're also encouraging fans to write and call Governor O'Malley, Lt. Governor Brown, and the Secretary of State's office.

What: D.C. United Stadium Rally
When: 12 noon, Tuesday, March 17
Where: Annapolis City Dock, 1 Dock St., Annapolis, MD
Who: D.C. United stadium supporters

Thanks again for all that you do. D.C. United's great strength is the collection of players, staff and fans that make up our family. Together, we achieve great things.

Sincerely,
Doug Hicks
Vice President, Communications"

Posted by: croftonpost | March 13, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forpat | March 13, 2009 12:25 PM

=====================

With Burch at left back and Hall at right back we could have two Terps attackers in the DCU back line . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 13, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Gallardo he speaks of?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

So would you guys have taken Hall ahead of Rodney Wallace, or ahead of Chris Pontius? As much as I love the idea of having two Terp attackers on the back line, I think this kid Pontius just might be a star.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 13, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse