Americans Abroad

Today
F Eddie Johnson goes 90 minutes in Cardiff City's 3-1 win over Barnsley
(The club's official site proclaimed Johnson the man of the match, but you should also read this other story because, sadly, you just don't see the term "argy-bargy" used very often these days)

D Jay DeMerit not in the 18 for Watford's 2-1 loss at Plymouth
GK Marcus Hahnemann in the 18 but didn't play in Reading's 2-1 win at Sheffield Wednesday
D Frank Simek in the 18 but didn't play in Sheffield Wednesday's 2-1 loss to Reading
F Jemal Johnson started for MK Dons' at Northampton, but match was stopped at halftime because of bad weather
Wednesday
GKs Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan with Aston Villa at Manchester City
GK Tim Howard and Everton at Blackburn
MF Clint Dempsey and Fulham vs. Hull City
D Jonathan Spector and West Ham at Wigan
MFs Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley with Rangers vs. Inverness
F Landon Donovan (final appearance?) and Bayern Munich at Bayer Leverkusen (German Cup)
F Freddy Adu and Monaco at Ajaccio (French Cup)
D Carlos Bocanegra and Rennes vs. Lorient (French Cup)

By Steve Goff  |  March 3, 2009; 6:20 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miami? No Dice
Next: Kocic to Sign With DCU

Comments

I can't stand reading newspaper stuff in non-AP style...

WOW. I want to slap myself for thinking that.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | March 3, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

If nothing else, it's good to see EJ getting a nice run and apperently playing fairly well. I'm not calling for him to be back in the starting eleven for the national side, but performances like this can hopefully help him regain some confidence.

Posted by: ol-brob | March 3, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like an EJ mention to bring out the argy bargy in the blogotwitterspehere....

Posted by: JkR- | March 3, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I believe this is the first game Eddie Johnson has been in that's received praise since the first half of the 2007 MLS season.

Not that I'm putting any hope behind it, but perhaps this is a start of one of his hot streaks? My only worry is that Bradley will call him back in the moment he shows any competence, rather than having him earn his spot. On the other hand, with Xerez leaving Jozy in the stands and Cooper not fitting Bradley's system, the bar isn't exactly high right now.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 3, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I always use the term Argy Bargy when mentioning my favorite Sqeeze album.

And if Eddie doesn't get some more of this playing time like this soon, he'll really be "Up the Junction."

Posted by: M__N | March 3, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

You know, this Would be the time when Eddie starts raising eyebrows again. When he's nearly disappeared into the nether regions of English Football, after squandering the last shred of good will with the accomodating Bradley. (sigh).

I wonder if one of his peaks will ever amount to something. His picture must be next to "fluctuating" in the dictionary.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 3, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible to be argy but not bargy?

I'm sure Monty Python has a bit about it somewhere.

Posted by: delantero | March 3, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

EJ had an assist, as well...

Posted by: Reignking | March 3, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible to be argy but not bargy?
I'm sure Monty Python has a bit about it somewhere.
Posted by: delantero | March 3, 2009 8:37 PM
Unfortunately they don't. They should have made it as part of their Arguement clinic skit.

Posted by: owendylan | March 3, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Was pinche Vilar out last match because of a Red card, or getting too many yellows in the last round? I remember some ugliness with the Revs? I can't remember.... Is this like the second time in history Houston has actually worn their white shirt?
Stadium looks empty. Cameras on the wrong side, or?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

And did they just call Davis a Monkey? Chango?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Nice defending Houston... Navarro goal in the 23rd. ATL up 1-0.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

DUH defending on that. 2-0 Atlante.

Posted by: Reignking | March 3, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Is Boswell still ill? Or is he out with cards now? WTF is going on?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Ug. Golden chance for Houston. Didn't even get the shot off.

Posted by: Reignking | March 3, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I think this BBC recapp provides a very balance assessment of Eddie's difficulties leading up to this point and his breakthrough performance yesterday. I like the quote from the Cardiff manager "A lot of people wrote him off as a bad player....."

Posted by: Beckster1 | March 4, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Ha. Argy Bargy. I bought that Squeeze album when there were such things as albums.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 4, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe Copra was engaging in argy-bargy. Isn't he an ayruvedic conflict resolver or something? Oh, wrong Chopra.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse