Beckham, All-Stars, DCU

*It's looking as if David Beckham will return to MLS.....in July. Read about the complex arrangement here.

*The Insider has confirmed that the MLS All-Star Game opponent in Salt Lake City is, indeed, a Spanish club, but apparently not Barcelona or Real Madrid -- too expensive.

*D.C. United is finalizing a senior roster contract for central defender Anthony Peters. League paperwork is holding up a formal announcement. Peters, 25, is 6 feet 5 and 205 pounds. As a physical reference, USA defender Oguchi Onyewu is 6-4, 210. Peters becomes DCU's 189th senior roster player. Goalkeeper Nic Platter seems likely to be No. 20. leaving one spot available (Domenic Mediate?).

*Because of the snow, United will train at an indoor facility in Northern Virginia the next few days before flying to Charleston, S.C., on Thursday.

*I should have mentioned this last week, but the Maryland-Wake Forest friendly on April 17 will be played at RFK Stadium prior to United's match with New England.

By Steve Goff  |  March 2, 2009; 4:12 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , D.C. United , MLS , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Kickaround
Next: MLS Late Night

Comments

We are going to have the biggest freakin' back line in MLS. If Blanco wants to pick a fight again, he'd better do it in his own defensive third.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 2, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

But can he play? And will he play?

I predict a long and Stokesian apprenticeship for this big converted forward. I look forward to is successful development.

Posted by: JkR- | March 2, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Its gonna be Villareal..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 2, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

WOW, Tim Leiweke do you see Ashton Kutcher around you anywhere? Because you've been punk'd, jackass! The Beckham "resolution" is a ridiculous deal that doesn't serve the Galaxy or MLS fans at all.

Way to give in. Just make the rat come back on March 9th and play out the MLS season. He should be free to go after that. All these machinations to get the guy for three maybe four months? How demeaning. Your sponsors should feel similarly punk'd.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 2, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I predicted that MLS would sell Beckham to Milan with an agreement to get him back, on loan, after the Serie A season. I was wrong, but this arrangement doesn't seem to be much different in terms of time and space.

08/22 - Los Angeles Galaxy 7:30 PM
Only available in ticket packages.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 2, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Steve,
Can you clarify the roster situation a bit? Nic Platter getting spot 19? Dom maybe for spot 20? I'm missing something here as we had thought this was the situation:

Who did we think was a senior roster player who is in fact a developmental player?

Posted by: amwehl | March 2, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

who's gonna wanna watch an all star team against a spanish team other than RM or Barca? That won't bring in the ratings they seek. Either go to the Italian or English League and try to get a top flight team. Money the refuse to spend will not compensate for the money they would lose in ratings and people attending.

Posted by: doh1 | March 2, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I must reign in my inner Chris Berman and not refer to DC United keeper Nic "Poo Poo" Platter. :)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 2, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Barring an IR move, Mediate seems to be the odd man out of the senior roster mix:

Senior Roster (20 spots)
16. Jaime Moreno
17. Francis Doe
18. Dejan Jakovic
19. Anthony Peters
20. Nic Platter

Developmental Roster
1. Goalie (James Thorpe or Milos Kocic)
2. Rodney Wallace
3. Ryan Miller
4. Futty Danso or Brandon Barklage

Posted by: PhillyMLS | March 2, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 2, 2009 4:33 PM

Wow, why the bitterness and vitriol? They worked out a deal. That's how it works. Sounds like the league made fair coin. And, we may get another Beckham match at RFK. Sweet.

Posted by: JkR- | March 2, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

DCU front office folks must be happy the Galaxy doesn't come to town until August...

Posted by: Juan-John | March 2, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The article says Milan will pay more than $10 million for this arrangement. If true, its not as bad as I initially thought in my moment of rage. As a Galaxy fan, I can't wait to boo and shout all sorts of profanities in English and in Spanish when I see Beckham play live!

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | March 2, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

As for non Barca/RM opponents from Spain, I'd love to see the All-Start team play against Atletico Madrid, Villareal, Sevilla, or Valencia. All top quality clubs.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | March 2, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I would definetly be excited about any of these spanish clubs: Atletico Madrid Madrid, Villareal FC, Valancia FC or Sevilla (They all play some extremely pretty football). Trust me the ESPN and MLS front office can swing this positively. Also, lets not belittle our own soccer knowledge. Many fans will be excited about the prospect of watching one of these top sides.

On the Beckham deal. This deal stinks for the MLS Fans but I guess the front office is happy because they will still get Beckham money.

(I think I could take Peters in a fight.) Seriously though, the fact that he played forward in college leads me to believe he has some technical ability. Hopefully his reading of the game is good and he does not foul all the time like Onyewu. I think Peters could be a decent player.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Concerning Beckham, notice the article says a "buy out clause". How much would it cost? Could it be more than $3 mil? If so, LA clears cap space during the loan, Becks buys himself out of the contract, and LA keeps selling jerseys during that time. And does anyone know if the Herbalife contract is tied to Beckham? If so, will they pull out of the deal once he is gone? So this may make alot of financial sense for LA in place of just selling him for $3 mil. Maybe LA has come out on top after all.

Posted by: LWPA | March 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Is Valencia "juice sanguinis" or "juice soli?"

Orange you glad I asked?

Oh my. The annoyance is pulpable.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 2, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

i dunno, i bet people would watch the Yellow Submarine...Rossi and Jozy (if he's back?) that's good stuff

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was to be under the impression that Real Madrid and Barcelona were the only top-flight teams in Spain.

Posted by: sitruc | March 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

My bad

I miscounted

Peters is the 19th senior player and Platter is presumably No. 20

Thread updated

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 2, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I predict the MLS Stars will play Xerez.

Jozy Altidore in the 18 but did not play

;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | March 2, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I was also under the impression that we had 18 signed, with Platter as the likely 19th. Peters would make 20, leaving Mediate in the cold.

DCU has long been too small, and this offseason we've improved quite a bit in that regard (Peters, Jakovic, Jacobson, N'Silu). However, all of them have to prove themselves. The last thing we need is another Stokes.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 2, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

nice, Kev...

It is going to be gorgeous in Charleston this weekend, too...glad I'll be there.

Posted by: Reignking | March 2, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Peters is jacked! Hopefully he's not been hanging with A-Ron or Bonds.

Posted by: mcontento | March 2, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I meant A-Rod...Opps!

Posted by: mcontento | March 2, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

On Peters -- how does he go and play in Europe for two years (presumably for money) and then return to the NCAA? Doesn't that blow his amateur status? And he went to a Division II school -- does that make a difference?

Posted by: big_spaniel | March 2, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Disregard my last comment. At least, the first paragraph anyway. Shows me for skimming.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 2, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

That sucks for Dom... although I'm confused as to why Peters is getting a Sr. contract right off the bat...

Posted by: Dynaformer | March 2, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

That can't be Chest, because 1) he was incorrect/redundant and 2) the post was incredibly short.

Posted by: Reignking | March 2, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | March 2, 2009 4:48 PM

Bitterness and vitriol? I just thought our league would come out on top after Garber put out a deadline and Leiweke jaw-boned that Beckham was coming back and there were no negotiations.

Of course I knew better that the "deadline" was fluff and Leiweke would bend to Beckham's reps, but the league and AEG look ridiculous. Looks like they're all bluff and no hand.

Now if they had made Beckham stay and play out his contract, then they wouldn't have come out of this negotiation looking like children. They would have looked like men who can stand their ground.

How embarrassing for MLS and AEG. I only tell it like it is. For big-name European players, this is still "MRLS" -- Major Retirement League Soccer.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 2, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: Peters: West Virginia Wesleyan historically plays some good soccer, with a strong international influence. I suspect he won't disappoint. If he does, he'll be hearing from m... uh, Chest.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 2, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

@Eugene7,

They would have looked like men? Really, by forcing a guy to play when he doesn't want to do so?

Terrell Owens?

Manny Ramirez?

Contracts are nothing and Becks in his return could have spent 98% of his time working on whatever Fabio told him to and 2% of his time helping the Galaxy tank another season.

While this is complicated and a head scratcher, it's not bad, but it's not good. You should have ultimately hoped they had gotten great money and then gone out and picked up a young Mexican starlet.

And stop calling it retirement when people have still yet to supplant Beckham from spots at Milan and England. If you think he's washed up, perhaps you can go out and help Theo get a little healthier.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 2, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Dynaformer-
Peters is not eligible for a developmental deal

big_spaniel-
It was allowed because he played Division II, somehow the eligibility requirements are different for DII and DIII

Others-
Basically Mediate was the 20th player and would have probably been cut this summer if and when we had brought in a veteran defender in the transfer window. But now that we brought in Jakovic, he basically got mediates spot bc it appears to me that we were always going to sign either Veris or Peters. The only real questions left on the roster is whether Kocic will take developmental money, if not the spot is Thorpes, and as Fullback Files alluded to, its Futty Danso vs. Barklege in a Thunderdome match...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 2, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Eugene, I see nothing of what you see, vis a vis embarrassment and looking like children, punk'd etc.

The league paid nothing for him (transfer fee wise), and stands to profit handsomely from the sale of an unsettled player.

That's how it works.

Posted by: JkR- | March 2, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

If there's an imitation Chest Rockwell, I should have had him do the shoveling.

joedoc:

Sounds like another job for imitation Chest Rockwell. Man, he's busy.

On Beckham:

VBB and JkR have summed it up pretty well. Sure, this transfer issue went in a rather dumb fashion for all involved, but I think this is what you get when you're dealing with Beckham's people. MLS, after initially being ambushed by the loan, has done well to ensure a few million come its way. I have no problem with the end result, even if the path there was an irritant.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 2, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Galaxy is going to pay for a player who has already played an entire season with a highly competitive, elite european club? When is the man going to rest? And, more importantly, how can anyone expect him to earn his ridiculous wages, or remain uninjured?

Once again, europe is sending "their tired" to our shores for shelter, only we're supposed to Pay millions for the passage! But, don't worry. Bruce will "lift (his) lamp beside the golden door." And once Beckham returns, he will strip all the gold off the door and retire.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 2, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaBlueBlood

A contract is a contract -- it is not meaningless. Beckham came here when he thought he was done but thought he could earn a lot of money. Once he realized he still had enough game at his age to play for a prestigious club in Serie A he "came out of retirement" effectively and rushed to go back. Beckham is a pro and as a pro he should honor his deals. When Conde wanted out of his contract least season, or to be traded to another team, an enormous amount of criticism was leveled against him. I believe at least that much and likely more should be leveled against Beckham for not honoring the deal he has made -- to stay in MLS until the end of the 2009 season, when he has his first out clause.

JkR,

Profit handsomely? Let's see how this actually works out, because it's hard to imagine that they made up the difference from $3 million to $10-15 million by having him play for 3-4 months. Perhaps Beckham bought out his contract. Otherwise it's hard to imagine that there is a handsome profit here. And I would think LA season ticket holders should demand some money back for the much larger price they paid, not knowing that Beckham would only play for the team for 13 games out of 30.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 2, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Eugene7, your interpretation of the public-relations aspect of this is so wildly off-base, I don't know where to begin to rebut your posts.

MLS doesn't come off looking "punked" here at all. I mean, they don't come off looking anything, really. It's just a sports-biz deal.

It's like you're hunting for a reason to feel self-righteously wounded or something. It's kind of odd.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | March 2, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Ryan Cordeiro? He seemed one of the few bright spots in last year's draft and was not kept. Did he sign with USL1/2? Try Europe? Drop out of soccer?

Posted by: johncr | March 2, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Gee, can't wait to see MLS do their "positive" spin on this joke.

Posted by: elfelixg | March 2, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Eugene, if you read the story, MLS gets money from Milan, Becks for half a season, then money from the buyout.

He's been a poor fit, but brought a lot of attention to the league, and now an exit fee.

Fans should have learned there's no guarantee of any athlete playing any particular game. I learned this in 2003 when I went to see ManU - Barca in Philly. ManU sold Becks the week previous to the game. That's how it goes.

(Oh, and Barca bought Ronaldinho the same week. Bit of a wash.)

Posted by: JkR- | March 2, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

1. Beckham PURCHASED for $10 million? That's not how I read it. The article says it would be "worth" $10 million. That could mean...there is some kind of merchandise deal (like LAG gets a percentage of Beckham shirt sales from AC Milan), insurance, Beckham payout money. You say "$10 million is $10 million"--not so fast. The league may get $10 million (if you include the insurance money) but some is probably deferred and since it's not transfer money, the LAG probably doesn't get a cent that they can use for allocations.

2. If you're the LAG, you get majorly, primo hosed on this. Here's why:
--you don't have Beckham until halfway through the season. Sure, he doesn't count on the cap and you've got insurance. But basically you either have to leave cap room for him OR sign a bunch of players and then cut them before they count for the entire year on the cap. Who's going to want to sign with the LAG as a competent player (ie: making more than MLS maximum salary) knowing all they get is 1/2 a season?
--When Beckham does show up, he's been playing for a long time with no break. That increases his likelihood of injury (somewhat similar to his arrival from Real Madrid I think).
--Oh, and then there's the England callups. Which, when you add in the Donovan callups (Gold Cup, WCQ, Confed Cup), if you're the LAG you'd have to be really, really, really PO'ed right now.

I think this worked out the worst possible way for the league. I don't think LAG gets a big transfer fee. I think Beckham plays half a season in the league (if that). I think Arena and team get hosed (though Lieweke probably does get financial coverage). I think it would have been far better off to accept the original $3 million offer, let Arena plan a team without Beckham and just say "he gave MLS a lot, we didn't want to stand in the way of his efforts to keep playing for England".

3. Peters must have really impressed. I didn't see him as a candidate for the senior roster so that's a pleasant surprise. And that's too bad about Dom Mediate who I think is a good guy with some hard luck.

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 2, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me this resolution to the Beckham situation is not in MLS's favor.

Loaning out a player for more than half a season makes the league look small-time to me.

Beckham is under contract to play in MLS. If he is loaned out during the off-season, fine, but he should play in MLS during the MLS season.

I suppose that if MLS is making a ton of money off of this, they can rationalize this deal, but is it clear how much MLS is getting from this?

If I were a LAG season ticket holder, I think I'd be ticked off. As a DCU ticket holder, the whole Gallardo experience was disappointing - but at least there were unfortunate injuries that played a role in that case.

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 2, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

What if they do mid-week exhibitions for all the teams that won't get a Beckham home game and exhibitions before he's available to play in official games for teams that miss out on an away Beckham games.

Posted by: MitchTooMuch | March 2, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChristopherMc | March 2, 2009 8:09 PM

Christopher, while you think my interpretation is wildly off base, and it's fair to have that opinion, it's interesting to see that others have very similar interpretations of neither the league nor AEG making out in this deal and both coming out looking kind of foolish. Perhaps I'm not off base.

This deal is very difficult to interpret because the details are so convoluted, but suffice it to say that AC Milan is not paying a $10 million + transfer fee and the funds, or even just the numbers, are coming from somewhere else. Is Beckham buying out his contract? Is there some diversion of jersey sale revenue or appearance revenue? Is AEG choosing to satisfy the utter legal minimum to sponsors and season tickets holders, as well as other teams, so they can't be sued but others don't really feel good about it?

This is not just "a sports-biz deal" especially given the media attention it's receiving within the MLS microcosm and general soccer microcosm. This is a significant media event. Unfortunately, in this outcome, with Beckham and AC Milan being able to ignore the deadline being set by our commissioner, frankly condescend to the league and say that it was just a "tactic", there is a lot of embarrassment. Beckham has come out more important than every other player, team and relationship in the league and that should never have been the case.

When Garber stated, "this is the deadline," that should have been it. End of story, no further discussion. When Leiweke stated, "there are no further negotiations," that should have been it. Instead both have been emasculated and the league with them.

IMHO, the league needs to stand up to Beckham and his reps and tell him that he's not more important than everything else we're doing here. Players, teams, sponsors, investments, stadiums, cities. So Beckham needs to fulfill his contract and then he is free to leave. Leiweke said AEG wouldn't sell Beckham at a loss -- now it appears that the outcome of his leaving was never going to change, AC Milan were never going to pay more, but AEG have come up with lots of convoluted ways to scrape dollars back from everywhere to make this work. And Grahame doesn't have the details of exactly how much they're getting and how.

Epic Fail if you ask me.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 3, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Beckham is a freaking dooosh!

Posted by: elfelixg | March 3, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Seriously. How mad do you think that a lot of the Galaxy season ticket holders who signed on only because of Beckham are?

I think that they have every right to ask for a refund. This is an extraordinary situation and AEG an Liekweke should be considering giving some of that ca$h back.

You know that the clubs that are going to miss out on the Beckham payday are seriously salty.

Like someone else already said, you know that the United FO had to be thrilled that the circus is still coming to our town, even if it is for the last time.

The Beckham Farewell Tour...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I support MLS because it is mine. Beckham is one of the many in football who don't play for my side. I hope he loses the rest of his days for all I care. This is the USA. This is it my connection to football. I did'nt grow up under the shade of Old Trafford. Jackie Charlton or Glen Hoddle were not household names. I cannot pretend.
DC United have nothing to fear from the likes of LA.
Up United!