Beckham Deal Finalized

English superstar David Beckham will remain on loan to AC Milan through the end of the Italian Serie A season.

He will return to the Los Angeles Galaxy when the international transfer window reopens on July 15.

As part of the multi-million dollar arrangement, which includes funding by Beckham himself, Milan has agreed to play a friendly against the Galaxy on July 19 at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. The Galaxy league match against New York scheduled for July 18 has been moved to July 16.

Beckham will not count against the Galaxy's 20-man senior roster or the salary cap until he returns to MLS.

"I'm really grateful to the Galaxy and AC Milan for making this dream deal happen," Beckham said.

With Beckham only available for half of the MLS season, the Galaxy also announced price cuts on ticket prices and will offer refunds to those who have already purchased season or individual-game tickets.

What do you think?

By Steve Goff  |  March 8, 2009; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  Beckham , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: DCU-RSL
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

I was fine with him going on loan as long as he never came back.. I am serious ANNOYED! I wanted someone good to come preseason this summer and now we get this!

Posted by: Shanoni | March 8, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

By Steve Goff | March 8, 2009; 10:57 AM ET

DC United should offer all of us season ticket holders a price cut for having to pay for The Million Dollar Donut last season. They raised prices some 20% across the board and prices still went up this year, despite no Million Dollar DP on the team.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | March 8, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

this is just stupid. and having the friendly with AC Milan is really weird too. Will he play one half for Galaxy and one half for Milan?
I assume he's gone permanently from MLS at the end of the season.

Posted by: hendrix | March 8, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The Galaxy must have a fetish for destruction. Before, we were getting a world class player on the downturn, one who wanted to raise the image of soccer. Now we are getting a left over player who will carry injuries and, what's worse, a knack for slandering MLS, ensuring that we might not even be a retirement league anymore. No respect.

The Galaxy will have a horrible roster (due to the salary cap) and won't even get they're headliner back until the last 13 games. Give-me-a-BREAK.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 8, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

wow, ticket prices cuts? when will DC start offering its fans some incentives.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 8, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I hope Beckham gets booed by the fans at every MLS game he plays in (i still doubt he will show up.)

Posted by: marcool | March 8, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

and you wonder why the good players do not trust their coaches and mgmnt!This is the proof that there only rules in MLS when it serves the right teams purpose!!

Posted by: soccerfan | March 8, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say that it's good to see LA is cutting prices and willing to give people their money back.
Seeing as to how DCU wasn't getting paid to let Gallardo go, I can understand why they wouldn't be giving anyone any money back. Aside from the random nostalgic River Plate fan, I can't imagine anyone bought tickets to see him.
Christian Gomez's return? I'm sure that is a draw. Why do you think I went to see the Crapids when they came to RFK?
Later Beckham. Hope you don't twist one of those precious ankles of yours over there, and I'll be happy to not see you yelling at refs for at least the first half of the season:-)
I'm skeptical that the soap opera is over, but at least we won't hear much about it for awhile.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 8, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Is that a new Beckham/LA rule or is that the norm?

Posted by: sitruc | March 8, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I think it's funny that he came here to retire because he couldn't keep up in Madrid. Now he has to bail to Milan because he cant keep up here. Good riddance drama queen.

Posted by: Gavinmgraham | March 8, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What do I think? I think I'm glad we don't have that drama to contend with here.

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 8, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

agreed about our supposed DP last year although not many came to see gallardo, we still have had to pay with out ticket increases, where else are they going to get that 1.7 million???

Beckham sucks but he did more for LA than gallardo did for us. so next time you are paying for your tickets and notice an increase just remember the name GALLARDO

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 8, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

This now makes Bianca the alpha WAG.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 8, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

If it is just a loan I am not sure I understand why they have to wait until the summer transfer window opens to get him back. Or is that the price they have to pay in order to keep him from counting against the roster limit and salary cap?

Posted by: fedssocr | March 8, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

What ever happened to "caveat emptor"? If you bought LA Galaxy season tickets for the sole reason of watching Beckham, with all this going on, LA should take your money and send a team representative to laugh at you throughout each game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 8, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I have to say I don't understand the venom directed toward Becks. I like having him the league. The 2 games he played at RFK drew out the best in aoccer atmosphere in this country.

But he hasn't been, may not be, a good fit with Galaxy in MLS. I think that's a reflection more on Galaxy, but I'm ready to be wrong. Lots of players end up in situations they don't fit. Incl. Jaime and Christian. You try and get out of those situations as best you can.

He's putting up his own cash to get out, and is more or less been honorable in his actions.

I think the casual fan has heard enough about the league in the past 2 years to have achieved at least some PR success. Certainly some blowhards will view his exit as some bigger negative message, but those folks aren't coming to the game anyway.

I wish him well, and would be glad to see him return if he has anything left in the tank.

Posted by: JkR- | March 8, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

DC United is still hemorrhaging money. Like it or not they need to keep ticket prices as high as the market will bear to keep that loss as narrow as possible.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 8, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Appart the Milan friendly - what are the benefits to the Galaxy (not AEG) ?

Roster and capspace they can't use, since they would need to drop folks out, even before he arrives, since its after all the deals become guaranteed (counting against the teamscap) 1st July...

Posted by: Ben7LA | March 8, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Makes you wonder how Becks' LAG teammates will treat him when he comes back to LA, particularly after essentially slamming MLS as a whole a couple weeks ago.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 8, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised David wanted to stay in Milan - there's only a CL place to play for (the Scudetto is a lock for Inter, and Milan were eliminated from the UEFA Cup). I'm guessing it's so his profile is kept up and he stands a chance of being selected by Cappello for the England team if they qualify for South Africa 2010. Short-sighted and mercenary, and unlikely to create much of a legacy, which is what could have happened if he'd stayed in the US and helped develop the youth soccer academy he founded.

Posted by: blueinva | March 8, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a really strange deal, especialy the friendly! As for Becks, my guess is he is thinking of the England team for 2010 - no-one should underestimate how much it means to him to play for England....

Posted by: robbo1 | March 8, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I swear, if Beckham plays one half for Milan and another half for the LA Galaxy during the friendly...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | March 8, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

"I have to say I don't understand the venom directed toward Becks."

I don't either. If this were an American player, the venom would be spewed at MLS for not letting him go on a transfer. He was brought here to raise the league's profile and sell jerseys. He did that. If David Beckham can play here and still be good enough for Serie A, then other players may think differently of the league.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 8, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm with JkR. If the guy is still good enough to play at Milan let him. Its better for his career, and if he could make England squad for upcoming WC that would be great. Sure, its a little disappointing, but you have to wonder if the MLS had any idea of this possibility in the back of their mind when they brought him in.

Think of it in terms of another sport - if an NBA player went to Europe under similar circumstances - then found there were NBA squads that still wanted him, why shouldn't he come back to the States?

MLS needs to promote the young talent from the Americas and team rivalries in the league, as well as getting the high-priced European star here and there. off the soapbox...

Posted by: lindsam8 | March 8, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

David Beckham penned a $450,000,000 5 year deal or was it 4 years... I forget.

It is looking as if the MLS gave
Becks a large lump sum of that
contracted money, if he as able
to buy his way out of the contract.

Through these very very tough
economic times, it would be wisest
to have negotiated a player that
comes at the highest pricetag in
the world.

Italy's Serie A needs the uplift
they are obviously willing to pay
a nominal fee.

The MLS haven't thought this through.

Once this season begins in the USA
if the stadiums aren't filling to
the average levels, Italy will be
in full right to devaluate the star David Beckham.

This was their only chance to make
the money back that they invested.

American businessmen are the dumbest creatures on this planet.

Posted by: theman_in_black | March 8, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

The deal is the best thing for everyone except Landon Donovan.

LA + MLS get cash, which they certainly can use. Milan gets their player, and Beckham keeps the World Cup door open for himself.

If Beckham re-retires from the EMNT after next summer (assuming he even makes it that far), he could return to MLS full-time, especially if LA can actually put together a team, and as long as there's no undue ill will.

If you don't care for him as an ambassador, fine, but we may not have seen the last of him as such. If you don't care for him as a player, hats off for knowing whatever AC Milan doesn't.

Posted by: otm_shank | March 8, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

the whole reason beckham wans to play in milan is because he wants to get on the england squad for the 2010 world cup... capello said without saying that if he's playing in MLS he won't make it... the last laugh will be on beckham, though, as he won't make the squad, anyway... he'll have burned his MLS bridge, and no top club in europe will want him next season... he'll have to play for a sunderland-type team or go to the A-League...

Posted by: poopoobigelow | March 8, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

To all you Galaxy fans who are justifiably angry at this rubbish, all I can say is...IT'S ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!

The ultimate blame for this fiasco rests not on Beckham but on Leiweke and Garber. Their "deadline," as we now know, was nothing but a PR stunt. If they were really interested in keeping Beckham...and they knew that Milan was interested in purchasing him once the loan agreement was consummated...all they had to say was, "While we're flattered, we're not going to sell David because he's too important for the development of soccer in North America."

They didn't. Instead, they catered to Beckham, panicked at Milan's aggressiveness and showed themselves to be the rank amateurs that they are ... and I include Garber because he's sadly nothing but a Leiweke/AEG tool.

Unfortunately, Leiweke and Anschutz have made a bundle off Galaxy fans by viewing them as stupid. AEG doesn't look as soccer as sport but as "entertainment;" that's why the quest to bring in "big name" players and coaches.

I don't know how you start a revolution but it's time for the pitchforks and torches, people.

Posted by: JosephDHippolito | March 8, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gavinmgraham | March 8, 2009 2:38 PM

Hilarious!!! What color is the sky in your world?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poopoobigelow | March 8, 2009 9:27 PM

Yes he will. First, I think he'll still be good enough to merit a spot (probably on the bench). It's not like the heirs to his England throne are covering themselves in glory. Second, the FA might just feel obliged to send him as a good will gesture to FIFA, especially with a decision on 2018 coming later in 2010. Sounds far-fetched, but I'd buy it.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I think the LAG ticket prices should have nothing to do with Beckham.

Posted by: roadkit | March 9, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think the LAG ticket prices should have nothing to do with Beckham.

Posted by: roadkit | March 9, 2009 9:33 AM

Well, I think we're seeing the repercussions of MLS allowing the tail to wag the dog.

I just like how they're able to rearrange the fixtures for a mid-season friendly, but can't figure out how to avoid league matches clashing with World Cup qualifiers.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This is a great result for everyone involved, and it would have been seriously disappointing if they couldn't have made it work.

Beckham gets to stay in contention for an England spot. The Galaxy gets dollars and, even better, a friendly with AC. And Milan gets Beckham on the pitch for the balance of the campaign.

Posted by: Matte | March 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, it's not soooo bad. So the guy only plays half the season. He probably would have been hurt for the first half of the season anyway. He's pretty ineffective in MLS so it's not like he's going to help LA win anything. If actually plays in a game in Colorado I'll go and watch and probably boooo when he gets the ball, but I would have done that anyway.

It just kind of makes MLS look like a second rate league, though, and that's too bad.

Posted by: hacksaw | March 9, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The ticket refunds and friendly with Milan are decent consolation prizes, but they're not what Galaxy fans need -- an MLS Cup playoff berth. It remains to be seen whether or not Beckham can deliver on the field. I'm sure he doesn't want his MLS legacy to be measured solely in jersey and ticket sales.

Posted by: Brokenbil | March 9, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't help reading the article following a link from the UK's BBC site, and felt compelled to comment on some of the views expressed by soccer fans over in the US.

Firstly, whilst I understand the reasoning for Leiweke and Anschutz bringing in Beckham in a bid to up the profile of the MLS, which he has done, I don't understand how LA Galaxy fans (note LA Galaxy, not David Beckham there) can bemoan the fact that he has left for half a season on loan, and thus demand rebates on ticket prices. Football is not a music concert - in the UK (where I understand football is more supported than in the US) you pay money to watch and support your team, not an individual player. On the flip side - do baseball fans pay to see A-Rod, or to support the Yankees?

Perhaps seeing it from the English point of view can help - in the US you are generally either baseball, hockey or Am Fbl. In England, you're Football or nothing. It's bigger than Jesus. And to have the opportunity to prolong such a lucrative career in the top 3 leagues in the world (Premiership, La Liga and Serie A) is too much to give up.

Beckham's support of the MLS is evident after the release of information regarding the "franchise purchase" clause in his contract. But he is a model professional in a sport where representing your country is the be-all and end-all, and if moving to Milan for half a season, a move which he has publically half-funded himself, will help prolong that international career then so be it.

And to suggest that Beckham has moved to Milan as he can't keep up in the US? No offence intended, but LAG, and indeed the MLS as a whole will NEVER compete with one of Europe's biggest sides. The MLS is a second rate league, and will remain so unless the franchises continue to attract the kind of caliber that Beckham has brought to the league.

Beckham's move may have been motivated by money, Victoria, Simon Fuller, any number of reasons, but it was a major step down for him ability-wise. He isn't Ronaldinho, but has never professed to be.

It seems that Beckham has become a scapegoat for all of the overpayed sports personalities in the world (not just the US), who wishes in this instance to progress his career and continue to play at the highest level possible while he can, and not just sign on the dotted line below the largest amount on any old contract waved in his face.

I for one hope that Beckham can bring the standard of the MLS up to one that can allow them to compete more agressively on a world level, but it also begs the question - Donovan, Adu, Cherundolo - less than half of your 2009 International player pool ply their trade in the MLS. Why is that?

I am interested in people's views on my comments, and please don't come back at me just because I'm English like Beckham, I'm a football fan.

Posted by: stu3 | March 10, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse