DCU Update

*With the imminent singing of central defender Anthony Peters, trialist Mamadou "Futty" Danso has been let go. No surprise.

*DCU has reached agreement with Comcast SportsNet for 15 regular season matches to be shown, starting with the March 22 season opener at Los Angeles (also available on Telefutura). Home games will be available in high definition and, for the first time, SAP audio capability will allow viewers to listen in Spanish. Dave Johnson and Thomas Rongen will return as commentators.

*Newly acquired Dejan Jakovic, the Canadian central defender, might arrive tomorrow but almost certainly will join the club by the end of the week in Charleston.

*Coach Tom Soehn, on the chilly indoor practice facility: "It's not often you are wearing gloves inside -- and need them."

By Steve Goff  |  March 3, 2009; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greetings From the Warehouse
Next: United's Roster and Schedule

Comments

Who is doing Spanish commentary?

Posted by: sitruc | March 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Only 15 Comcast games this year? Are those all MLS, or is Champions League included? They don't have to worry about the Nationals or Orioles dragging down ratings anymore, so what are they going to program after the Caps' playoff run ends? More Poker? Geez, looks like the MLS Direct Ticket (or whatever it's called) is in my future this year...

Posted by: throwin | March 3, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amwehl | March 3, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

throwin - that's only down 1 from last year's Comcast commitment. And CSN have not had the Orioles for a few years now - and they've never had the Nationals.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 3, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a third of our MLS matches are on FSC or ESPN2.

Posted by: beach3 | March 3, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Nice of CSN to provide SAP - I'm waiting on Telefutura, Galvision, and FSE to follow suit and provide English SAP, then maybe I cold watch their broadcasts too :-)

Thanks for braving the cold to bring us the news!

Posted by: dcufan | March 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So Steve, does it appear that Brandon Barklage will make the roster as a developmental player? And whither Lyle Adams?

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | March 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

IT'S IN THE NET!

Posted by: stwasm | March 3, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

So which two games will Comcast be televising to replace the August 8th and 15th games that they have slated to televise?
We all know CSN, for as great as they are for DCU, will drop DCU games for those oh-so-great Redskins preseason games that should fall on those Saturday nights! Pre-season games..zzzzzzzzz

Posted by: JPO2200 | March 3, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

South Run is always cold this time of year but it's dry and not too windy. Go DCU!

Posted by: euroman | March 3, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

thanks amwehl. I was wondering when their schedule would be posted.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | March 3, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Can we not have the Skins pre-season game conversation again? Comcast are under contract to carry them and - whether you like them or not - they garner about 10 times the rating United gets. Sad as that may be. And Comcast always make them up to us with other televised matches.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 3, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link on the Comcast site amwhel. I love the notes on the bottom about what to call the club... Someone please forward that link to the "the United" doofus's.
Sure makes me wish I could get FSC without upgrading to a cable box...
I am still a little confused by the schedule though, is the home opener not going to be televised again this year? I know that may be a marketing move to get more people to go but I still think that's a little lame. I wanted my wife to be able to watch me throw batteries and piss bags at Blanco on TV and in HD!!!;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson is terrible. That is all.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | March 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I play at South Run Sunday nights, and sometimes in the winter it's warmer outside than in. Still a fun place to play.

I'm trying to find a way to get a business trip to Charleston. Great town, great food.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 3, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson is terrible. That is all.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | March 3, 2009 3:08 PM
-------------------------------------------
I freakin' love Dave Johnson. I like his calls for United and the Wizards and dude loves soccer. I saw him at a Crystal Palace game on one of his days off. I've seen him at a Caps'game on one of his days off.

But then again, I am one of the most conservative guys that I know.

Maybe my love of Dave is a result of the shackles that encase my mind. lol

Posted by: yankiboy | March 3, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I also love Dave Johnson. That is all.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 3, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson rocks. And he loves the team and the sport. Nuff said....

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 3, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Talk about psychic (on DCU and CSN's part): I was JUST thinking about that after looking at DCU's schedule on the mlsnet.com site and not seeing any Comcast broadcasts.

Looks like just about every game is covered, one way or another.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 3, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I thought WRC had the new contract to cover Skins preseason games? wasn't that in the Post this week?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 3, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

There is no broadcast of the first two home games.

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 3, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson is to United as Jon Miller was to Orioles, before the fall.

The radio guy Lamarzi is top notch as well.

That is all.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 3, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson is terrible. That is all.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | March 3, 2009 3:08 PM

Yep, Dave Johnson rocks.

Unshackle that mind of yours, my friend...

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 3, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"With the imminent singing of central defender Anthony Peters.."

Singer-songwriter like Justin Moose, or just in the locker room like Luciano Emilio?

Posted by: MrKrys | March 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Actually 4 of the first 6 games are not being broadcast. Chicago, Houston, RSL and Dallas.

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Why freeze your ass off in N. Va., when it's toasty indoors at SoccerPlex in MD? And what's more, the players might get face time with comely Washington Freedom players?

Posted by: b18bolo | March 3, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, so United/MLS schedule the first home match opposite an important US qualifier AND didn't get it on regular TV. Ugh - now that's frustrating. Guess I'll find a decent soccer bar with Direct Kick.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 3, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The comcast site says 15 games, yet I only count 12. Three mystery games?
No broadcast of first two home games is very disapointing.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | March 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@Jaywag86,

Perhaps those 3 mysteries will spare us FSC's broadcast of Champions League...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

well, the first two home games will be on DK. I guess just that first week is part of the free preview, but still, DK is pretty cheap. Or better yet go to the stadium.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 3, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

jeez, I almost missed this while wearing out the F5 key on the Goff Twitter....

Dave Johnson is the best.

Posted by: JkR- | March 3, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson is the best MLS PbP soccer announcer by far, we're lucky to have him at United.

Posted by: mcontento | March 3, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

yeah, as a STH, looks like there are two away games that I'll just have to go to a bar to watch. Bummer... :-)

Some Miami news:

Posted by: Juan-John | March 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Or better yet go to the stadium.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 3, 2009 4:03 PM

I'd love to! But I'm not going to miss the US-El Salvador match. Sh*tty scheduling.

Thanks for the heads up on the DK preview.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 3, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

JJ, Thanks for the link and info.

For us USL fans, tt will be interesting to see whether or not Traffic pulls the plug on Miami FC now that they know that they can't get onboard the MLS express with Claure...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It's not that I wanted Miami...just please no Ottawa.

Posted by: Reignking | March 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Not Futty!!!...

Posted by: redskinsux | March 3, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

This left-wing wacko likes Dave Johnson as well.

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 3, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people who comment on this blog act as if the MLS is the only soccer they watch. If you want to hear a real announcer listen to Ray Hudson on Gol TV. THAT is how you announce the beautiful game.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | March 3, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, thought this thread was covering DC United and the COMCAST schedule. What's Ray Hudson got to do with it? And Hudson doesn't announce the game, he adds color commentary.

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 3, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

fire soehn and kasper -- they've destroyed the DCU franchise

Posted by: bestmick1 | March 3, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't honestly know anything about these 2 new defenders, but I've got to be a little scared about completely replacing our central defenders heading into a season again. Last year it took so long for those guys to gel ... well actually I guess they never did. We leaked goals all year.

Anyway, it's nice to see them trying to do something, but I still am far from feeling good about it.

Posted by: Matte | March 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Thomas Rongen in HD???? No thanks.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 3, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

How many games are on HDNet? I only get HDNet. If there are no games on HDNet, I can't watch.

:-) [for them what needs it]

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 3, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Yo SonicDeathMonkey, how much camera time do you think Rongen will log in HD?

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 3, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson has been invaluable to the promotion of DC and to MLS. He knows the game better than most. The knock on him was uncalled for.

Posted by: oz4dcu | March 3, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Ray Hudson is the worst - I avoid any broadcast he's on. And that's very hard to do since they give him the top La Liga games.

Posted by: Pedalada | March 3, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

There is no broadcast of the first two home games.

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 3, 2009 3:30 PM
---------------------------------------------

There's an easy solution to this one: Go to RFK!

Ok, you won't be able to tape it to watch at home after the game -- but it's not a total washout either; seeing the game in person is soooooo much better. And that's true even if there's rain and you have to stay to 1:00 a.m. to see the end.

Posted by: Curious99 | March 3, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

That Kansas City game in August looks like it's the prime candidate to be cancelled. At least they didn't highlight any games in the press release that would conflict with Redskins preseason, as they did last year.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | March 3, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Straight up sucks that there won't be television coverage of the home opener happening at the same time as US vs El Salvador.
I was getting ready to drag both TVs into the living room and go crazy...
This reinforces my thoughts on clubs needing to provide live streams of their matches on their websites or do something similar to what the USL does with their site.
What's the status with the MLS.live thingy? Will they pick up the matches not getting tv coverage? Will it be free as rumored? I got it for the second half of last season and it was well worth it's tiny price tag even if for only a couple games...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse