Early Thursday Kickaround

*The Chicago Fire will be without starting defenders Gonzalo Segares and Bakary Soumare for Saturday's match against D.C. United at RFK Stadium. Segares is with Costa Rica's national team for the World Cup qualifier the same night against Mexico while Soumare is set to play for Mali in a qualifier against Sudan.

The Fire's injury report lists defenders Brandon Prideaux (knee) and Dasan Robinson (hamstring) as questionable.

For United, Fred (hamstring), Santino Quaranta (hamstring), Devon McTavish (head laceration) and Greg Janicki (head laceration) are officially listed as questionable while Louis Crayton (hip flexor strain) is probable. Quaranta and Fred, however, seem very unlikely to play and Janicki said he would sit out training a few days this week.

*Now that the WPS rosters have been finalized, we can tell you that North Carolina has the biggest NCAA representation (12) followed by Notre Dame (nine). Eight foreign countries are represented, led by Brazil (nine), Canada (six), Australia (five), England (five) and Sweden (four).

For links to each team roster, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  March 26, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Waives Miller
Next: United, Freedom News

Comments

I'm betting we may see Crayton, McTavish and Janicki starting (albeit with some kind of protective headgear for the latter two), and Quaranta as a possible late game sub. I think Moreno, Olsen and Gomez start, but will all be subbed.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 26, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

i think that we will see olsen and moreno starting with gomez on the bench. no quaranta. its a given that we will see crayton. will be interesting to see if both mctavish and janicki start or not.

Posted by: xiopik | March 26, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Any word on ticket sales?

Posted by: Curious99 | March 26, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on Segares and Soumare, I get a feeling some of us may have one of those dudes on our fantasy teams....
Fredy Montero didn't get a last minute call up for Columbia did he?

It is kind of lame that MLSnet. doesn't have any easy way to see who's got a National Team call up... Should be in the injury report, or something right?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Does the WPS have foreign player limits? I'm guessiung no, as it seems to me it would be completely unnecesary.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | March 26, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought Soumare was gonna be the U.S.'s starting central defender alongside fellow 6'4"er Onyewu. Not possible anymore?

Posted by: notafembot | March 26, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Will Gomez be wearing his "no spit" appliance during this match?

Posted by: 22206no1 | March 26, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Soumare chose Mali (and has played 1 game for them).

Posted by: Reignking | March 26, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Any word on ticket sales?
Posted by: Curious99 | March 26, 2009 8:07 AM
======
I am guessing it won't be any better than most of the mls recent games except Sounders FC. If we can surpass Galaxy that would be let's say exceeding expectation. Once dominating team in mls for fan support is wearing down by Toronto and now Seattle. I will give a few more games to Seattle and if they continue to keep up the display like the opening they are going to be the most fun to watch team on tv. DC's fan are not all on the same page, dissapointing to say the least. Note that I am happy that we have a decent crowd show up consistantly.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 26, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I have to wonder why there aren't more players in the league wearing either the Petre Cech headgear or the John Starks/Rip Hamilton/Gazza style face mask. Granted folks like Josh Gros unfortunately seem to be more concussion prone, but for players who've had one or two head colisions, I would hope more care would be taken for their heads.

Posted by: M__N | March 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Woe is Prideaux. One guy I wish we didn't let go. You know?

Well in, 22206no1.

As a test, last night I intentionally gashed my head with a vase to see if I could get my Swingline positioned to staple the wound shut. No luck. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 26, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks to Goff for bringing up the Segares and Soumare call-ups. Anyone have any ideas on where to find, in one location, who is called up from MLS?

Posted by: jleppig | March 26, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

jleppig: Ives' blog

Posted by: Reignking | March 26, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking: Um, thanks for showing me another blog to keep me "focused" at work. ;)

Posted by: jleppig | March 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: You used the wrong vase. Try it again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Did you use the red stapler?

Posted by: Reignking | March 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I said NO salt. NOOO salt.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 26, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The home opener usually draws pretty well. Less than 20K on a Saturday evening against a rival like Chicago would be disappointing.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 26, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Rain/cold and all the bad press over the offseason seems to have sucked a lot of excitement out of the current team..I predict less than 20k.

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 26, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Lessee, Earth Hour is March 28th, lights out at 8:30; we're gonna be at RFK . . . nope, can't think of any joke here.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 26, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Soumare expressed interest in wanting to play for us, then found out how long our citizenship process is.

I'd bet the qualifiers also aren't helping tickets.

Joedoc: next time, use a staple gun, not just a staple. Better ergonomics, better aim.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 26, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Any word on ticket sales?
Posted by: Curious99 | March 26, 2009 8:07 AM