Early Tuesday Kickaround

*The Washington Freedom signed USA national team veterans Cat Whitehill and Briana Scurry as well as University of North Carolina midfielder Allie Long. More details here. The Freedom will make its debut Saturday in a preseason friendly against Sky Blue FC (New Jersey) at Maryland SoccerPlex.

*Following a 1-0 victory over Norway in their Algarve Cup group finale in Portugal, the USA women turn their attention to Wednesday's final against Sweden.

*The USA under-20 men face El Salvador tonight in Tobago in U-20 World Cup qualifying. If Honduras and Jamaica tie earlier in the day, the Americans clinch a berth in this fall's tournament in Egypt. Otherwise, they'll need a win or tie to advance.

*After an unsuccessful trial with D.C. United, 6-foot-4 defender Kyle Veris has signed with CONCACAF Champions League semifinalist Puerto Rico in USL1.

*Americans abroad yesterday:
MF Jeremiah White 90 in Aarhus' 1-1 tie with Vejle
(MF Benny Feilhaber not in the 18 for Aarhus)
For White's postgame video interview, click here.

Americans abroad today:
F Eddie Johnson and Cardiff City at Norwich City
D Frank Simek and Sheffield Wednesday at Preston North End
D Jay DeMerit and Watford vs. Nottingham Forest
GK Marcus Hahnemann and Reading vs. Charlton
F Mike Grella and Leeds vs. Yeovil Town
F Jemal Johnson and MK Dons vs. Huddersfield Town
D Michael Orozco and San Luis at Universitario (Copa Libertadores)

*Soccer on TV:
European Champions League
Juventus-Chelsea 3 p.m. Setanta
Liverpool-Real Madrid 3:30 p.m. ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Juventus-Chelsea 6 p.m. (taped) ESPN Classic
Panathinaikos-Villarreal 6:30 p.m. Setanta
Bayern Munich-Sporting Lisbon 10 p.m. Setanta
Copa Libertadores
Deportivo Quito-Estudiantes 6 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Universitario-San Luis 8 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
America Cali-Independiente Medellin 10:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol

By Steve Goff  |  March 10, 2009; 2:14 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , TV , U.S. men's national team , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Berhalter's Status
Next: Quaranta and the Injuries

Comments

These early posts really help me justify being awake. Why I need to justify these things for myself is the next step.

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Rapinoe's goal for the wnt was brilliant. I wrote up a long post about the two games when I got back from the Algarve last night, but got a "your post has been forwarded to the blog editor for permission" and it never showed up. Ah well, maybe I need to join the union....

Heading down to the final on Wednesday.

Posted by: troy6 | March 10, 2009 4:53 AM | Report abuse

what happened to Adin Brown? retirement? injury?

Posted by: marylandspca | March 10, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

My Norwegian is improving. I understood everything White said. The intro clip, though, is in a dialect I don't understand.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey, please anyone who doesn't work out with here with DC United,if they aren't up to the incredibly high standard or just don't fit in--let's just ship them down to General Clarke and Puerto Rico so that they can have a look. If that doens't work out, get them to Crystal Palace Baltimore so Medd & Cherneski can get a look...

PRI & CPB are both ambitious and aspire to be elite clubs in their divisions. They are used to getting talent wherever they can find it. Not everybody can play for DC. What DC doesn't need, please send my other clubs' way.

Share the resources so that I can stay accustomed to supporting winning clubs. I'm getting spoiled...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 10, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Ummm. Danish. Oops, ruined a perfectly unfunny joke.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Are there any noteworthy putative Freedom players who have not yet signed on the dotted line?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy:

nice General Clarke love-athon last night!

will you be rocking the FFF swag at the United home opener?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | March 10, 2009 9:52 AM
========================

One of the three allocations from the national team pool is Ali Krieger. I don't recall that she has signed, perhaps because (I believe) she is under contract to FFC Frankfurt. Two of their four international picks have not signed, including Austrialian Lisa DeVanna who is hell on wheels.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 10, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

And the Canadian keeper McLeod, I don't know the story there. Freedom has her rights though.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Ummm. Danish. Oops, ruined a perfectly unfunny joke.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 9:43 AM

It's OK, I chuckled regardless:-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | March 10, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Mexico was eliminated from the U-20's last night when they lost to Canada 2-0. That's their second straight failure after missing out on the Beijing Olympics.
Next up the U-17's qualies which they will host in Tijuana.
Cheers!

Posted by: abrarob | March 10, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see Feilhaber's name again on the americans abroad list. Hope he bounces back from the knee surgery.

Posted by: Matte | March 10, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF:
"hell on wheels"? Sounds like my kind of girl. You gonna make introductions?

Posted by: Matte | March 10, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

careful Matte... she's not exactly the belle of the ball... not that that matters of course... just be careful what you wish for;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Off topic: Steinbog calls the Nats stadium the first to be LEEDS certified (DC press release qualifies it as "first major stadium"). Isn't there a USL stadium that's LEEDS certified, albeit not a major stadium?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I would be delighted to meet her myself.

This entry from Wikipedia captures what I meant to convey -- it would be cool to see her at SoccerPlex up top with Wambach.

"A striker with lightning pace and world class dribbling skills, in her career for the Matildas she has scored more goals coming off the bench, and has been labeled as the 'Super-Sub'. Football analyst and former Socceroo Craig Foster stated that she ran on jet-fuel — burning up twice as fast, but with incredible impact."

Posted by: OWNTF | March 10, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Isn't there a USL stadium that's LEEDS certified, albeit not a major stadium?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 11:18 AM

--------------------------------------

Yep, the Charleston Battery's

Posted by: Josh8 | March 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

For the love of all that is capitalist, I hope the Yanks take out El Salvador and advance.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 10, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Next up the U-17's qualies which they will host in Tijuana.
---------------------------------------

What?!?!? U17s + Tijuana = Disaster in the Making

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 10, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Josh8. It figures that they stadium I couldn't remember is the one at the center of our attention recently.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Blackbaud, it looks and feels like the Ryan clan is gonna hop on a jet plane down to Charleston tomorrow after all!!!
Wednesday nights matches don't look to be in the cards, but I might try to catch the live feed that Toronto supporters have set up, available here I think:
Saturday should be a go! If anyone has any suggestions for family friendly places in Downtown Charleston that we might find Champions league on tomorrow afternoon, let me know.
Thanks folks
lots of Aloha!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dad, great that you can fly. Have a lot of fun.

I love seeing games at Blackbaud. It is a beautiful place. And 3 Lions is a gem.

I just freaking hate the long drive...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

thanks yankiboy, we're trying to get one more short, free flight in with my daughter before she turns 2. Never been to Charleston myself, and I was intrigued by all the Battery supporters who showed up at RFK for the Open Cup final...
I've been curious to see what could create such creatures;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

On a personal and related note, I may be making the trek saturday myself.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 10, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse